Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is your annual sub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

MOATE GOLF CLUB, Co. Westmeath

Membership Fees - 2021

Full Membership: €600 includes GUI/ILGU fees.
    Married couple: €1,100 includes GUI/ILGU fees.
    Family: €1,180 includes GUI/ILGU fees (Includes children up to 24 years in full time education.
    Distance: €300 includes GUI/ILGU fees (Main Residence over 60 kms).
    Young Member: €300 includes GUI/ILGU fees (Aged 18 to 25 years on 1st Jan 2021)
    School Membership: Primary School - €20 + GUI/ILGU fees if required / Secondary School - €50 + GUI/ILGU fees if required.
    (Students in full time education up to 19 year)
    Students: €150 plus GUI/ILGU fees (up to the age of 24 yrs In full time education)

Casual Golf Membership: €300 - New members, or past members of Moate Golf Club who have not been members for the last 3 years ie. 2018, 2019 & 2020. Existing members (other than current casuals) cannot opt to join this category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

willabur wrote: »
    it covers both courses

Wow, 1250 for both those courses is excellent!
    Then after 10 years is it just 450?? Very good if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Wow, 1250 for both those courses is excellent!
    Then after 10 years is it just 450?? Very good if so.

Some value! Wish I lived that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

600 for moate is exceptional value too. They're probably unlucky to be surrounded with such good quality courses that have very reasonable membership fees - tullamore, esker Hills and new forest I've played and are lovely courses. Athlone and Glasson are supposed to be very nice too. The fee should probably be more than €600, but if you charge it you'll lose members. People will pay the extra couple hundred for one of those other courses.

But it's courses like moate that you'd really miss if they disappeared. Nice course, nice club and it must make golf very accessible to people who want to take up the game. And I mean this as a complement, it's a more accessible course as you get older than a lot of the newer designs like new forest and esker hills. It's not that it's easy, it's just more payable than the likes of those two.

I don't know what the fuss about that postage stamp green is though. The one time I played it I just put it on the green and took my two putts. I don't know why anyone would play it any other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

willabur wrote: »
    it covers both courses

Hi willabur

In a 'normal' year, how restrictive are tee times for members? Am I right in saying all weekends are for members? And then is it really difficult getting tee times midweek in the summer?

Thanks and enjoy, you're a lucky man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

MOATE GOLF CLUB, Co. Westmeath

Membership Fees - 2021

Full Membership: €600 includes GUI/ILGU fees.
    Married couple: €1,100 includes GUI/ILGU fees.
    Family: €1,180 includes GUI/ILGU fees (Includes children up to 24 years in full time education.
    Distance: €300 includes GUI/ILGU fees (Main Residence over 60 kms).
    Young Member: €300 includes GUI/ILGU fees (Aged 18 to 25 years on 1st Jan 2021)
    School Membership: Primary School - €20 + GUI/ILGU fees if required / Secondary School - €50 + GUI/ILGU fees if required.
    (Students in full time education up to 19 year)
    Students: €150 plus GUI/ILGU fees (up to the age of 24 yrs In full time education)

Casual Golf Membership: €300 - New members, or past members of Moate Golf Club who have not been members for the last 3 years ie. 2018, 2019 & 2020. Existing members (other than current casuals) cannot opt to join this category.

€600 is good value and probably reflects the level of competition in the area.

I'd have perceived Moate as very busy on Saturdays and Sundays so can the Casuals play then or do full Members get first option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭coillcam

15 months Introductory Membership @ €850 exc levies in Mullingar. Transition to full member status after this sub finishes. Then it's €1500 hello money due over next 3 years.

I'm relatively close to the course otherwise I'd probably have joined New Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Hi willabur

In a 'normal' year, how restrictive are tee times for members? Am I right in saying all weekends are for members? And then is it really difficult getting tee times midweek in the summer?

I wish. It's my brother in law that's a member.

Took a few years of waiting even though he had family members and friends along time in there. Regarding access I don't know 100%. What he has told me is that the Americans tend to play early in the day. Course tends to be empty in afternoons. Most times I've played it we've basically had the run of the place.

Is an amazing setup. I love both courses

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Hi willabur

Hi,

I'm a member there, tee times aren't really restricted at all, green fees tend to head out early during the weekdays so don't really have an effect. Both courses are members and there guests during the weekends with competitions most Sundays.

searay wrote: »
    €600 is good value and probably reflects the level of competition in the area.

I'd have perceived Moate as very busy on Saturdays and Sundays so can the Casuals play then or do full Members get first option?

If it's as busy this year as it was last year then members playing in the competition will get to book peak times first for Saturday and Sunday.

I think that's fair to be honest as a casual golfer who has no interest in the competitions cant always expect to play at peak times when they pay half the amount others do.

We brought the category in a few years ago as a way to encourage people to join at a discounted rate, hopefully get really into the game and upgrade to having a handicap and playing competitions.

You cant have it both ways - cheap golf and play at peak times when our full sub is very competitive for what we offer as a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Moate, Great Value and a smashing track best short par 3 in Ireland i would love to get back there for a game and then a nite on the sauce in the town fcuk Florida, Spain or any of that touristy golf malarkey- Costa del la Midlands Scr cups n Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

Any club out there that does distance membership cheap..I just want to get a handicap and play an occasional open conpitetion ,and have a handicap..cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Pm Kingswood Rover there and he'll help you with your enquiry

Moate, Great Value and a smashing track best short par 3 in Ireland i would love to get back there for a game and then a nite on the sauce in the town fcuk Florida, Spain or any of that touristy golf malarkey- Costa del la Midlands Scr cups n Guinness

We've done a great job on that Par 3. Cant wait to actually get to play it!

160595548_4179223438778353_4319592451631006146_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=GnUBsY97_I0AX-AbAvo&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub3-1.fna&oh=184357d29172e4dfdabf7afc56363e9a&oe=6089908E

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

butrasgali wrote: »
    Any club out there that does distance membership cheap..I just want to get a handicap and play an occasional open conpitetion ,and have a handicap..cheers

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/arid-40253165.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

butrasgali wrote: »

Kilrush €180 pa I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

How will 4 months of no golf affect memberships. Wonder will members still be required to pay full whack?

Paid mine in full in February. Got no extra benefits and have not received my membership sticker as yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

How will 4 months of no golf affect memberships. Wonder will members still be required to pay full whack?

Paid mine in full in February. Got no extra benefits and have not received my membership sticker as yet!

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

there's 4 clubs pretty local to me

the most expensive is giving members €200 bar credit
    The next most expensive to my knowledge isn't doing anything
    The other 2 are similarly priced & 1 (only members owned on the list) isn't doing anything & the other club is adding on 3months to the sub so covers them til March 2022

That's from what i've heard so not fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Think most people will renew if we can get out by the end of April. If it had gone on another month or two longer, I reckon a lot wouldn't have paid their sub. Think this year may be a lot more difficult for golf clubs, financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Clubs are def in a tough spot. If people have been paying full whack up to now, there'd be war if people who didn't pay yet got reductions on their memberships if they wait longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

callaway92 wrote: »
    Clubs are def in a tough spot. If people have been paying full whack up to now, there'd be war if people who didn't pay yet got reductions on their memberships if they wait longer.

ive been paying up, on the premise members only and membership is closed. also anyone that didnt pay have to back pay what they missed or join as new member after 6 months.

if they deviate from the above and start offering reduced memberships and green fees over members tee times i will be looking for my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

callaway92 wrote: »

Absolutely. I paid in full in December (€2280 x 2, including 5% discount as comp for last year) for myself and wife. If they started offering deals, there would be war - rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

newport2 wrote: »
    Absolutely. I paid in full in December (€2280 x 2, including 5% discount as comp for last year) for myself and wife. If they started offering deals, there would be war - rightly so.

where are you a member? that's some bill to pay

• Advertisement

bailey99 wrote: »
    where are you a member? that's some bill to pay

Powerscourt. It is a lot, but I play a lot. A normal year works out less than €15 per round (for me, not my wife!)

crikey, i got life membership for not far off your annual sub!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

crikey, i got life membership for not far off your annual sub!!!

Where was that for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

newport2 wrote: »
    Powerscourt. It is a lot, but I play a lot. A normal year works out less than €15 per round (for me, not my wife!)

Wow, that works out at 3 rounds every week on average for the year. Congrats, that sounds like the dream.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wow, that works out at 3 rounds every week on average for the year. Congrats, that sounds like the dream.

It helps a lot when your wife plays too ;)

• Advertisement

Where was that for?

Life membership in Carne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Jaysus that's not bad for about €2,500. Is that same rate even if you live nearby etc?

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Jaysus that's not bad for about €2,500. Is that same rate even if you live nearby etc?

that i don't know. I thought it was great value. I'd travel up there once or twice a year fairly easily anyway and bring a few friends along each time.

That's a great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Man alive!! Take my money!!!!!!

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Man alive!! Take my money!!!!!!

What?

What?

As in 2.5k or so for life time membership for Carne is a serious bargain and if i was anywhere near it i'd be all over that kind of a membership....have i picked that up wrong or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

that is an unreal deal - If i ever ended up getting a holiday home or something over that direction then that would be the deal to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Hmm leg pulling?

Hmm leg pulling?

Jees when I think about what the membership is in my course, 495 for outside 30 miles (which unless ur in ballina or belmullet itself is going to be the case) is serious value for money by any standard...

• Advertisement

Hmm leg pulling?

Leg pulling lol

More green eyed monster maybe. Life member I am. I'd advise contacting carne and asking the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I’m a life member. Was 10,000 euro.

poisonated wrote: »
    I’m a life member. Was 10,000 euro.

Life member where?

Leg pulling lol

More green eyed monster maybe. Life member I am. I'd advise contacting carne and asking the price.

Fair play if you got it for what you said but I don't understand why you'd get it at the same price as just 4 years full membership now and half the price of overseas. Ain't ringing them just yet as I need my numbers to come in and need to build my house next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair play if you got it for what you said but I don't understand why you'd get it at the same price as just 4 years full membership now and half the price of overseas. Ain't ringing them just yet as I need my numbers to come in and need to build my house next door.

I've heard of golf courses in rural areas doing this as a once off to boost revenue.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Clubs local to me have charged 12 years approximately the annual sub for life memberdhip. That's the ratio they use.

I never said I was local to the club.

Distance membership is 350 a year as per above posters screenshot. So that equates to 8.5 years for life membership. I didn't "need my numbers to come in" as you have put it. Also, I suspect you would be paying more for life membership if you "built your house next door".

We make investments throughout our life. This is an investment in me over the next 30 years (hopefully!!!!)

Good luck to you with that.
    Enjoy it it's a cracking course.
    My post saying I am waiting for my numbers to come in is me saying I would build next door and join and pay whatever they ask for membership.
    You must admit it did sound unusual to most given the price list I posted that you got it at such a great price.

Ya great price. Hopefully many trips in years to come up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cahir going up by another €100

I believe that’s 4 years in a row of price increases. Including GUI fee it’s now €905 for the annual fee. While that includes a €100 bar tab/competition entries I’m not happy at all

Add that to the increase in comp fees from €5 to €6 (and €7 for Monthly Majors) in 2023 and likely up again this year, it’s genuinely not worth it anymore

18 holes were only playable for about 7 months this year there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭bobster453

@callaway92 Yeah its becoming a bit iffy there now alright.

9 to12 holes open for minimum 5 months of the year.

Not too bothered about the 100 as i would play comps sat and sunday tho i know its designed to keep bar/restaurant open for a few people who use it..most dont..mainly because prices jumped up and there is zero marketing of it.

Not finishing comps before end of the year is annoying though..i am waiting 3 months to play club singles matchplay final.

Still i guess i will stick with it for another year

Advertisement