Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19th March '21 Gold Cup day

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Some great tips/ante post hits from those who would consider themselve's "regulars" here. You know who you are.

The Regular v Blowin' nonsense seems to have calmed down the last two years( with the exception of some late learners).

The sense of freedom this year ( as opposed to the protective b.s. of being a "regular") has lead to tips that have never been so productive.

We have had a poster who picked 6 of 7 winners on one day. We have had a poster who showed how "place only" bets can pay and win. S/he also helped those who may not have been familiar of such bets.

This year has seen a softening of the "blow in" rhetoric.

Well done "Chesty" Silver medal, and "'The Kid" Gold medal. Aidan can always put his tips here. Some had to ask how to find him.

It's about beating the bookie...

Or, as one regular here said, "you love to see it"!

That's the spirit I want to see from a regular!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Great weeks racing. Cachun, Envoi and Concertista getting over turned made a balls of a few accas. Still managed a loss of about 30 quid for the week. Breffini Boy today in the 2.40 will make it all right.

Now it begins again, looking at every race and trying to figure out where they will end up. You could possibly have Envoi and Monkfish in the Gold Cup next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Do miss the old channel 4 team for the coverage overall at least this year no Brian Gleeson which for me was a bonus .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Well done everyone, great week. I hadn't been on the forum in a while and I forgot how good it could be . It's still far from the old days here where aidan, rossom, PC and many more were regular posters. The craic and analysis was superb then. Hard belive a soccer world cup killed it.
    Hopefully people might stick with the forum and hopefully it gets the freedom it needs to flourish.
    This game is about opinions the more the better.

Well done to chesty and the kid for your unbelievable bets. Superb. Aidankkk is just special.i always look at his views as they can be informative and we like similar style bets. I find it easier identify over priced horses at double figures.

I had a winning week mainly due to Jeff kidder.
    Few big priced places. Again I gave more than I should have back to the bookies with some stupid bets.
    I must look up my Cheltenham do's and don't s post from a few years ago n reread my own advice.
    Some amazing performances this week and I think the novices and the bumper first n second could be special.

But the take away from the week was Rachel. I knew she was really good. I didn't realise she is a superstar. Best I have seen in the saddle since Ruby. She was perfection this week and is undoubtedly now the best jock around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

B.t.w.., The Midlands Grand National ( with a good follow up card at Utt.) is combined today with a decent Kemp. card.

IF you are a few pennies ahead this week,have a look.

A few pennies behind, have a look too! You all know the form by now.

Best of Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    B.t.w.., The Midlands Grand National ( with a good follow up card at Utt.) is combined today with a decent Kemp. card.

IF you are a few pennies ahead this week,have a look.

A few pennies behind, have a look too! You all know the form by now.

Best of Luck.

Thurles, too. Wexford seems to be all NHF races which to me seems like madness.

Someone start a thread. We can all go on a slow taper from Cheltenham rather than being cut off straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 salfordseven

With help from this thread starting with a £20 opening balance. (I did not deposit another penny) I managed to have a bet on every race over the 4 days.
    Withdrew £200 in winnings and still have £19.62 to go again today.
    Thanks to all for your input.
    Tell a lie I deposited £10 into an 888 new punter account but that is for the Cheltenham bookies offers thread.
    Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

FiftyP wrote: »
    Thurles, too. Wexford seems to be all NHF races which to me seems like madness.

Someone start a thread. We can all go on a slow taper from Cheltenham rather than being cut off straight away.

There's been a few all bumper cards and i'd say that'll continue for a while yet to give trainers a chance to get experience into young horses as point to point scene continues to be on hold. Not for betting purposes unless you're firmly in the know - goes without saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

With help from this thread starting with a £20 opening balance. (I did not deposit another penny) I managed to have a bet on every race over the 4 days.
    Withdrew £200 in winnings and still have £19.62 to go again today.
    Thanks to all for your input.
    Tell a lie I deposited £10 into an 888 new punter account but that is for the Cheltenham bookies offers thread.
    Thanks again guys.

Same here complete amateur punter - put €10 a day on my paddy power app opened up with a win of €13.75 on a €5 7/4 stake. Had the shunter in in the handicap chase and made €95 on that. For the gold cup had €10 win on A plus Tard and €10 on Minella Indo each way. So made just shy of €50 on that. Had a few small wins on each way punts. At the end I had €0.72 left on my app and put it on Galopin de Champs in the last race. Finished with a whopping €6.48 win.

All in all I put €30 on the app (missed day one) and cashed out €130. Not bad.

There's been a few all bumper cards and i'd say that'll continue for a while yet to give trainers a chance to get experience into young horses as point to point scene continues to be on hold. Not for betting purposes unless you're firmly in the know - goes without saying!

Yeah. Saying, it "seems like madness" is from the perspective of someone who knows how to type in the racing post web address and little more.

At the very least, talking to my Mam, we said we'd go to a Point to Point when they're back on. She was saying she loves being down be a fence and watching the horses jump.

• Advertisement

FiftyP wrote: »
    Yeah. Saying, it "seems like madness" is from the perspective of someone who knows how to type in the racing post web address and little more.

At the very least, talking to my Mam, we said we'd go to a Point to Point when they're back on. She was saying she loves being down be a fence and watching the horses jump.

Growing up i remember how huge point to points were, as a social occasion as much as racing. Seemed like the whole town was there. Great memories of 3 card hucksters, trying to hit the spade on the ace of spades with a dart, salty chips with lashings of vinegar and ketchup, swiggin the dregs of flat porter in the bar, watching oul fellas trying to figure out the form which, in pre internet days, was well nigh impossible. Could watch them run out into the countryside on one side, then hare it across to the other to see them take the last and sprint to the finish. Dont think it's quite the same anymore, but still a great day out and the lifeblood of the sport here.

Growing up i remember how huge point to points were, as a social occasion as much as racing. Seemed like the whole town was there. Great memories of 3 card hucksters, trying to hit the spade on the ace of spades with a dart, salty chips with lashings of vinegar and ketchup, swiggin the dregs of flat porter in the bar, watching oul fellas trying to figure out the form which, in pre internet days, was well nigh impossible. Could watch them run out into the countryside on one side, then hare it across to the other to see them take the last and sprint to the finish. Dont think it's quite the same anymore, but still a great day out and the lifeblood of the sport here.

I only ever went as a kid. Standing around and climbing up on a parade ring made of lashed together cattle gates. Looking at the horses with no clue what the indicators were but being fully convinced they were going to win (until they ran.) Standing up on a hill watching as much of the course as you could, having to listen to the guys with binoculars to find out anything as they ran behind trees and the back of the course, because the guy with the microphone was either useless, or the speakers were useless and you couldn't make out a thing. The odd drunk fella after winning seeing some seven year olds, wanting to share his luck and giving you 20p to buy some sweets which you definitely didn't buy but lumped on a horse. Your parents' friends looking out for you by the end of the day, and trying to round up all the kids with a promise of chips and a maybe a sausage, "If you stay put."

I put a pound on a horse once. The P2P bookie was happy to take it as well. Of course, I won (or placed, one of the few I can remember from those days) and the bookie was very hesitant at paying out £3.50 to a seven year old. He wanted to give me a lecture about the dangers of gambling. I was gearing up for an argument in what surely would be a whiny voice when all the people placing bets told him to pay out. "You were happy to take the money, now pay out." And all the other bookies laughing at him as he was unable to get a word in. I did buy sweets with that win. From a plastic picnic table set up at the back of a van. I bought sweets for all my friends, and a can of coke for me and the best buddy, and looked forward to the day I could be a grown up and celebrate in the beer-marquee that looked like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm already facing withdrawals (but no cash losses due to fantasy bets only) and looking forward to Cheltenham 2022 where hopefully I'll be back in the bookies, Dame and Box...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/19/the-festival-in-lockdown-cheltenham-2021-a-photo-essay

My juvenile punting strategy was simple - and very non productive. On the racetrack it was back everything with L.Piggott next to its name, regardless of price. At points it was PP Hogan. So i might invest 10 or 20p on a horse at 1/3 and more often than not, they'd lose. On my first ever visit to the curragh, i managed to p!ss off all my bothers and sisters by tipping every Piggott shortie which were all well beaten. I'd have been better off putting it all on the three card trick guy, he might have taken some pity on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

I won all of the money this week, it was a great week for winning all of the money and I also grew a few inches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Coneygree wrote: »
    I won all of the money this week, it was a great week for winning all of the money and I also grew a few inches too.

Had a bad week did we? :rolleyes:

Advertisement