Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I presume Boron. Used to be only with brassicas you needed it.

Don’t see it mentioned on compounds
    Anyone that has used it, how did you source & spread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Half the area got 18-6-12+S at 1.5 bags/HA. That's not the issue. It's ground temperatures another paddock got 2k gallons of slurry and 20-25 units N. Nothing working

No i just that because I was on N only for the first two rounds but since I've gone with p,k,s there's been a bit of a turn around here.
    Dung ground same with the p,k,s, they're getting two grazings now where it was one before.

Neighbour next door (a different one) has oceans of grass and strip grazing ground.
    Still on his second round I think. He was very busy with the fert spreader in March when the weather changed for milder.
    Reckon there was a lot of K went out with him.

There's a big difference in p's and k's too in blends, compounds. Some would have sulphide attached, others chlorides attached. I wouldn't have a clue what's in my own. Never asked and never told. Only an odd time you'd hear that's a very good fertilizer. But it all makes those differences.

I presume Boron. Used to be only with brassicas you needed it.

To be used on grassland if you're low on soil test.
    No issue with dept on grassland.
    Makes N more efficient if you need it.
    Helps soil life too.

Don’t see it mentioned on compounds
    Anyone that has used it, how did you source & spread

From a fert company that does mixes.
    If you order enough they'll even make up any mix you like . And spread - fert spreader.
    This company is even offering seaweed coated CAN now and that can be added to your mix now I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

From a fert company that does mixes.
    If you order enough they'll even make up any mix you like . And spread - fert spreader.
    This company is even offering seaweed coated CAN now and that can be added to your mix now I believe.

Is that boron really doing much though?
    Was that original thing with the boron not that George had a load of it in the yard and palmed it off on farmers in the fert, no one's heard anything on it from him since

• Advertisement

Is that boron really doing much though?
    Was that original thing with the boron not that George had a load of it in the yard and palmed it off on farmers in the fert, no one's heard anything on it from him since

I think it helped me anyways.
    Did the soil tests first through them to a UK lab and it showed where I was low.
    It was me asked about it first and then he said he could include it.

Remember that time after the 2018 drought and I think I greened up quicker than you and got a few cuts of silage in double quick. I put that down to the boron in the fert. Well I had basalt spread the year before and was using foliar seaweed too..
    I haven't used any this year now.
    Neighbour didn't think it did anything for him but he'd be spreading a good amount of fert anyway so could be masking with more fert.

If you've especially dry free draining ground I'd give it a consideration anyway or coming out of a wet flooding winter same.
    There'd be a certain amount in dung or slurry anyway but if you're low on a test after years of dung or slurry you're low anyway. And it is there on that barrel of soil nutrient diagram, Liebig's law of the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Nearly all k will be muriate unless requested otherwise, sulphate is a lot more expensive, could be 100 to 200 more expensive for the fert with that form of k, but better for the ground. More to do with the negtiave affect Cl can have on ph. Mixes can be made up with different things such as B, Mg, etc but generally they could be minimum of 10 tonne loads required. Albrecht soil tests go in to a share of this.
    Still cold weather and drying winds have reduced both uptake of fert and it physically getting into the ground. Urea test in milk gone right low here, would indicate plant isn't taking up the fert as normal at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Set stocking from the morning. Growth is gone to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

wrangler wrote: »
    They also used to say that you won't have grass while the daffodils are there and there's plenty of daffodils around.
    Reason being that the cold wind preserves the daffodils and they rot quicker in growthy weather

Saw this this evening in a sheltered spot but facing east.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Anyone take silage yet? A couple of early dairy lads have cut here this week.
    Crops were back a bit from normal but nothing major they said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone take silage yet? A couple of early dairy lads have cut here this week.
    Crops were back a bit from normal but nothing major they said.

Anything there was a crop on the 1st april kept growing and is the same as normal my land is all lodged such is the crop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Anything there was a crop on the 1st april kept growing and is the same as normal my land is all lodged such is the crop

I see this as well Land closed the last week in March has a crop on it Lads closed the first week in April has way less grass in it. Those 7 days made a huge difference. Those that had covers by the 10-15 of April powered a head over the last 20 days the other paddocks suffered. May have to take the 1st cut 5-8 days apart

Slava Ukrainii

Grass grows grass as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Would silage cut now not be very unpalatable with the cold weather and lack of sunshine keeping sugars low? Same for grazing grass too I suppose, it’s wanting something, probably the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have fertilizer out since 25th March. Meadows have barely grown since. Put bullocks out to some of it last week.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Have fertilizer out since 25th March. Meadows have barely grown since. Put bullocks out to some of it last week.

My land was never grazed, it's actually lodged.
    When I say my land I mean my tenants land.
    What I'm farming myself isn't recovering after the sheep so have only a few paddocks left......will be out of grass in a week.
    It's serious now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im surprised dairy and suckler lads are not skint for grass, i thought we would be in crisis mode by now, this week could turn nasty for some

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im surprised dairy and suckler lads are not skint for grass, i thought we would be in crisis mode by now, this week could turn nasty for some

2013 isn't gone out of their minds I suppose.... they're making enough silage now.
    When a local dairy farmer was asked how many months silage you need for dairy cows he said you need 12 months silage for cows becuse you never know what's gonna come outa that sky,
    I think he's heading for 1500 cows now, I've lost count

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Half the area got 18-6-12+S at 1.5 bags/HA. That's not the issue. It's ground temperatures another paddock got 2k gallons of slurry and 20-25 units N. Nothing working

1.5 bags per hectare is .6 bag per acre? I’d shake that on the lawn!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

2013 isn't gone out of their minds I suppose.... they're making enough silage now.
    When a local dairy farmer was asked how many months silage you need for dairy cows he said you need 12 months silage for cows becuse you never know what's gonna come outa that sky,
    I think he's heading for 1500 cows now, I've lost count

Supposed to be lads back around loop head in alot of bother

• Advertisement

Dunedin wrote: »
    1.5 bags per hectare is .6 bag per acre? I’d shake that on the lawn!!!

Sorry should be per acre

Slava Ukrainii

Are the consistent cold nights so far this spring / early summer the real issue with grass growth this year?

Like its probably over 6 degrees for like 6 hrs a day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Thread title needs renaming.

Ours are back in the shed....

Are the consistent cold nights so far this spring / early summer the real issue with grass growth this year?

Like its probably over 6 degrees for like 6 hrs a day

Soil temperatures are still below 12C it is 9-10c in places. Until soil temp is consistently above 12C you do not get sustained grass growth

Slava Ukrainii

Soil temperatures are still below 12C it is 9-10c in places. Until soil temp is consistently above 12C you do not get sustained grass growth
    But the temperature dosent seem to rise until around 10 am and seems to drop quickly at around 4 pm every day so far this spring / early summer

Seeing 4 degrees early morning and in the evening when in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

The wind since the no November moon hasn't changed from east to northerly it's never been southerly or westerly for 2consecutive days

Its southerly now but a cold one. Plenty rain falling. Rotation is around 25/ 26 days would normally be below 21 this time of year. On the third round. The week coming will sort any moisture issue bitta heat still required to get going properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

lab man wrote: »
    Supposed to be lads back around loop head in alot of bother

Lot of bales for sale in West clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

My land was never grazed, it's actually lodged.
    When I say my land I mean my tenants land.
    What I'm farming myself isn't recovering after the sheep so have only a few paddocks left......will be out of grass in a week.
    It's serious now

The few sheep I have are in a paddock with silage for 2 weeks now... and will be for another week maybe...

I was grazing from 1st March though, and first covers were very good but the grass never came back after 1st April...

Regretting not selling the lot when prices were so good this spring :)

• Advertisement

The few sheep I have are in a paddock with silage for 2 weeks now... and will be for another week maybe...

I was grazing from 1st March though, and first covers were very good but the grass never came back after 1st April...

Regretting not selling the lot when prices were so good this spring :)

Are you creep feeding the lambs, that's my next move, they won't live on mothers milk alone , they're two months old now

Advertisement