Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Raining away here.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Ive them in a small paddock beside the shed and shed open with bales. Their fairly flying through the bales. I've 30 bales left so no fear of running out yet. Its being raining last couple of days and they only come in to eat and back out, no interest staying in the shed at all. Place is wet enough just need good blast of heat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ive them in a small paddock beside the shed and shed open with bales. Their fairly flying through the bales. I've 30 bales left so no fear of running out yet. Its being raining last couple of days and they only come in to eat and back out, no interest staying in the shed at all. Place is wet enough just need good blast of heat

Blast of heat on the way this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

I have Heifers out a month now weighed them going out and then again yesterday (they were getting meal for the last 3 weeks). Some went back but thankfully the majority held their own. They are now back in the shed. That cold weather played hell with them and the slow growth didn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Fierce bit of heat in north kildare here today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Are lads still feeding silage? I moved mine last Thursday. Going to give a few acres off a silage field to graze. Bullocks need grass and not silage this time of year. Grass starting to comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Fierce bit of heat in north kildare here today.

wind is coming form the west too, which is better than the east

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Rain due this week which should help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Who2

Grazing ground here is stripped bare, They’ve clipped two silage fields and I still have half in, there has been very heavy frost at night here and very little regrowth. I’ve a butt of a pit that will be eaten by next week so I’m praying for a nice soft rain to kick things off and kill off the frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Looks like there's no good grass growing weather for the next two weeks, there will be rain but it's going to be cold along with it.

The older generation around here always said to have enough fodder to feed all your stock until the start of May, they weren't so slow.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Looks like there's no good grass growing weather for the next two weeks, there will be rain but it's going to be cold along with it.

The older generation around here always said to have enough fodder to feed all your stock until the start of May, they weren't so slow.

The rain should still help the growth on though, the soil temps will take a while to down to the same as the air temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Growth of 50 last week, bit of heat the last few days helping. Much slower than last year but most if the farm has received slurry and two rounds of fert. Stocked at around 3/ ha with milkers and heifers out, calves and couple of cows still in and 2/3 silage ground closed

Reggie. wrote: »
    Rain due this week which should help

Don't think there's as much coming as was thought

They also used to say that you won't have grass while the daffodils are there and there's plenty of daffodils around.
    Reason being that the cold wind preserves the daffodils and they rot quicker in growthy weather

whelan2 wrote: »
    Don't think there's as much coming as was thought

Raining here for the last hour, soil temp is 13 so it should improve

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wrangler wrote: »

It's very localised all over the country. I got a 5 minute shower here. Hope I get 2-3 more . Supposed to be a good drenching dining on Sunday night if it doesn't break up in the Atlantic

Ground has risen in temperature so rain will drive growth on dry land if we get it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

lovely few showers here last few hours a few more would be great

wrangler wrote: »

We got about 5 minutes of rain. Very cloudy

whelan2 wrote: »
    We got about 5 minutes of rain. Very cloudy

Intermittent showers most of the day in Clare, I think the "mad for rain" talk will be well gone by the weekend with the longer range charts. Could still change of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Heavy mist all last night.

First drop in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is (lack of) rain the real problem? Colder temps and nightly frosts would be more of an issue I would have thought, seems to have been a colder month than average, last week not withstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah it's not a lack of moisture here, nearly buried the tractor a couple of times spreading fert last weekend. It's the lack of heat and frosts at night doing the damage.
    No signs of much improvement for the next two weeks either.

Yeah it's not a lack of moisture here, nearly buried the tractor a couple of times spreading fert last weekend. It's the lack of heat and frosts at night doing the damage.
    No signs of much improvement for the next two weeks either.

It lack of heat rather than frost is the issue. You would always have ground frost's when you have high pressure over land. Days are fine and look Ng do frost is burnt off early. It's just daytime temperatures are too low

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

There’s a sneaky east breeze blowing that would dry the dung in a dog. Grazing silage ground with very little on it.

While grazing conditions are good growth is brutal. There is no flush of grass. Paddocks grazed 25-30 days ago still have no decent covers. I have a paddock that I put 3 bullocks into in February that were outwintered on another paddock. It has no cattle in it since late March. It is an old let but in good condition. It has got a out 50 units of N. Normally at this stage I be rushing cattle into if it was not grazed since then. It's only getting to an ideal grazing height.

Paddocks grazed out early April need another 7-10 days all have got 25 units of N since grazing. Looking at Met Eireann agri data we have 130-160% of normal sunshine, in my case rainfall is more than adequate. Ground temp is 1.5-2.5 degrees below normal.

Next week not looking too promising either

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

While grazing conditions are good growth is brutal. There is no flush of grass. Paddocks grazed 25-30 days ago still have no decent covers. I have a paddock that I put 3 bullocks into in February that were outwintered on another paddock. It has no cattle in it since late March. It is an old let but in good condition. It has got a out 50 units of N. Normally at this stage I be rushing cattle into if it was not grazed since then. It's only getting to an ideal grazing height.

Paddocks grazed out early April need another 7-10 days all have got 25 units of N since grazing. Looking at Met Eireann agri data we have 130-160% of normal sunshine, in my case rainfall is more than adequate. Ground temp is 1.5-2.5 degrees below normal.

Thats actually the same here i bought a load of out wintered cattle and put them straight out Patrick's days . They've 4 paddocks and changed every Saturday. I'd normally have twice or even 3 times the cattle there now but not a lite of grass and I've put stuff out on it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How much P and K, S, B, etc, did you put out?

Half the area got 18-6-12+S at 1.5 bags/HA. That's not the issue. It's ground temperatures another paddock got 2k gallons of slurry and 20-25 units N. Nothing working

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s B?

• Advertisement

What’s B?

I presume Boron. Used to be only with brassicas you needed it.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement