Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

The few sheep I have are in a paddock with silage for 2 weeks now... and will be for another week maybe...

I was grazing from 1st March though, and first covers were very good but the grass never came back after 1st April...

Regretting not selling the lot when prices were so good this spring :)

Sold them all here in March. One pet lamb left and she is 30 kilos now so the freezer beckons soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Are you creep feeding the lambs, that's my next move, they won't live on mothers milk alone , they're two months old now

No lambs Wrangler, only hoggets... They on silage and the occasional bit of ration...

As a neighbour says - no ram, no lamb, no trouble ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No lambs Wrangler, only hoggets... They on silage and the occasional bit of ration...

As a neighbour says - no ram, no lamb, no trouble ;)

Good burst of growth here overnight, OH grass measured this morning , she tells me there's 13 days ahead, It sounds better than it is, we're feeding teh ewes a third of their Drymatter requirements as Cobs...... wthout those there's 9 days ahead, you need 14days ahead really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Are you creep feeding the lambs, that's my next move, they won't live on mothers milk alone , they're two months old now

During the drought last year i creep fed after 2 weeks and left hay in for ewes. The creep cost a few quid but at least lambs in a decent timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Good burst of growth here overnight, OH grass measured this morning , she tells me there's 13 days ahead, It sounds better than it is, we're feeding teh ewes a third of their Drymatter requirements as Cobs...... wthout those there's 9 days ahead, you need 14days ahead really

Will be doing a measure in the morning but was just walking through a few fields this evening and couldn’t get over the improvement in grass. There was a lot of rain last night and today was warm enough too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

Will be doing a measure in the morning but was just walking through a few fields this evening and couldn’t get over the improvement in grass. There was a lot of rain last night and today was warm enough too

Huge burst of grass today. I think most people will be sorted after this week

Tileman wrote: »
    Huge burst of grass today. I think most people will be sorted after this week

Im here looking out the sitting room window for 8 hours a day and can see the field opposite after turning green over the last day or so. We had a nice drop of rain last night and a good strong sun so far today.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Im here looking out the sitting room window for 8 hours a day and can see the field opposite after turning green over the last day or so. We had a nice drop of rain last night and a good strong sun so far today.
    Sounds like a cushy number 8 hrs looking out the window.

Sounds like a cushy number 8 hrs looking out the window.

Its alright tbf :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Its alright tbf :p

I spent 8 Hours looking in a window today.

Bollox of a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

White frost again this morning. Grazed ground getting it very hard to pick up growth at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

_Brian wrote: »
    White frost again this morning. Grazed ground getting it very hard to pick up growth at the moment.

We’d s dense fog with great heat from the sun @ 7
    Strange the differences with you only up the road
    Hopefully things improve

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Finishing 2nd rotation now, 29 days since they left 1st paddock & very little cover ahead of them again. Back in for silage to slow them a few days. Usually this time if year ive too much grass. Luckily cut numbers this year!

Is the fertilizer that has being put out gone? Or is it still in the soil. I'm wondering do I go again with a bag/acre again (already got 2, 1 March & 1 April)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This is going to sound strange but sure what's new!

I think the limiting element on grass is now potash. Anywhere there's dung or slurry doubled up there's healthy grass and growth is taking off.
    K is a limiting factor for dry weather which we've had. It's the same for cold weather.
    Any stress at all will show where it's wanting.

And for the loopy bit..
    The uncle was up the mountains for a drive around lately. He said you'd swear every farmer up there (mt leinster) was after spraying herbicide on their ditches.
    So put your own thoughts on that - frost, a distant volcano with chemicals at a certain height of atmosphere, chemtrails, aliens, Russians, Chinese,...

But anyway it's been a tough growing spring.
    I'm going buying a round of 0,7,30 tomorrow for the whole place. Been using 15,10,10,S.the last and it's improved. But there's more improvement to be got.
    Have granular lime to spread too to finish and it's benefit is there where it was spread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭dmakc

All else equal, I'm assuming that a little over half a bag of urea (46N) wouldn't have the same affect as a full bag of CAN (27N) due to less granules at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Theheff wrote: »
    Mild weather normally means rain. Would like to see abit of kindness in it to grow a bit of grass. But its still only early March so we could still get anything.

It's now the middle of May but it is still only early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭endainoz

This is going to sound strange but sure what's new!

I think the limiting element on grass is now potash. Anywhere there's dung or slurry doubled up there's healthy grass and growth is taking off.
    K is a limiting factor for dry weather which we've had. It's the same for cold weather.
    Any stress at all will show where it's wanting.

And for the loopy bit..
    The uncle was up the mountains for a drive around lately. He said you'd swear every farmer up there (mt leinster) was after spraying herbicide on their ditches.
    So put your own thoughts on that - frost, a distant volcano with chemicals at a certain height of atmosphere, chemtrails, aliens, Russians, Chinese,...

But anyway it's been a tough growing spring.
    I'm going buying a round of 0,7,30 tomorrow for the whole place. Been using 15,10,10,S.the last and it's improved. But there's more improvement to be got.
    Have granular lime to spread too to finish and it's benefit is there where it was spread already.

I'd say the frost and the cold wind might have burnt the ditches a bit, would they have been in fairly exposed areas? It was an unusually cold April with the frosty mornings.

dmakc wrote: »
    All else equal, I'm assuming that a little over half a bag of urea (46N) wouldn't have the same affect as a full bag of CAN (27N) due to less granules at work?

If you spread that urea with the ground damp with a low grass cover and a warm breeze in the full Sun, you'll lose a lot of that N.
    The same won't happen with CAN (well it's half urea) with the added bonus of added calcium (lime)

You didn't hear it from me but the greatest way to get maximum efficiency from urea is with a cover of grass when it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Spreading urea or can when ground is bare is a fools game ,If ground is skint slurry gives Mighty results if it is plaster on before you get .... no matter what people tell you otherwise

endainoz wrote: »
    I'd say the frost and the cold wind might have burnt the ditches a bit, would they have been in fairly exposed areas? It was an unusually cold April with the frosty mornings.

I'll finish off my loopiness. :p

I got this reading one day on one of the rare occasions I had it switched on.

20210413-132434.jpg

I have this now two years. I just use it for nitrates in water. But the radiation feature is there. Chinese for ya!
    The highest I got last year was up about 20 and only in certain parts of the parish. Which I thought was high enough. Normally around 7.
    I got this spike of 40 last month at home where it's normally 7.

It went back down. So I turned on every electrical devise in the house to see if that had an effect. No effect.

I'm a bit like freejin in another thread. Maybe I shouldn't know..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭endainoz

20210413-132434.jpg

I have this now two years. I just use it for nitrates in water. But the radiation feature is there. Chinese for ya!
    The highest I got last year was up about 20 and only in certain parts of the parish. Which I thought was high enough. Normally around 7.

It went back down. So I turned on every electrical devise in the house to see if that had an effect. No effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

20210413-132434.jpg

Interesting device to have after Fukushima. Tops of lots of tall trees here had the leaves burnt brown around this time 10 years ago. My Father had never seen the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Spreading 3 bags of 10.5.25 +3s everywhere. Did soil samples very low in k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

whelan2 wrote: »
    Spreading 3 bags of 10.5.25 +3s everywhere. Did soil samples very low in k

I had never even heard of 10-5-25 until this year. I take silage off an out farm that's too far away for slurry and gave it 4 bags of this. I used to use 10-10-20 but the extra K is more important based on my soil samples than the P.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Alibaba

Like a march evening out.
    Is growth still poor or is it just me.

Regrowth on grazed fields still very slow and I've kept on top of them with fertilizer.
    Slight pick up alright this week but still back a lot on what it should be.

No right burst of growth yet here in kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Alibaba wrote: »
    Like a march evening out.
    Is growth still poor or is it just me.

Regrowth on grazed fields still very slow and I've kept on top of them with fertilizer.
    Slight pick up alright this week but still back a lot on what it should be.

No right burst of growth yet here in kerry

Growth is absolutely brutal. There is a few silage fields closed since start of april and they are only at a strong grazing height. You would be hoping growth would take off any week but its not happening

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Alibaba

Don't think I've ever seen growth so poor this day of the year anyway and have been at it over 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Alibaba wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever seen growth so poor this day of the year anyway and have been at it over 40 years.

Its as bad as 2014 if not worse.

Slava Ukrainii

There's been a definite change this week here anyway.
    I'm finally thinking of closing silage ground that was in the grazing rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was outside there now. It's very cold. Fire lit in mid May. Madness

Advertisement