Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grazing 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was outside there now. It's very cold. Fire lit in mid May. Madness
    We've had a few heavy downpours from 3ish, it got chilly and I lit the fire at 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Growth is absolutely brutal. There is a few silage fields closed since start of april and they are only at a strong grazing height. You would be hoping growth would take off any week but its not happening

Same here growth is brutal. Spread fertiliser again over the grazing ground this week never had to do that before in May and I have less cattle due to beam and price of stores only for that Id have some back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pissing rain here all evening. Growth of 65 in the last 6 days, it's improving alright but wet weather and lower DM of grass has stock unsettled, will have paddockor two to take out when weather clears to keep covers right, won't be able to wait for them to go in with first cut. Have been following cows with 20 units N, 2k gallons parlour washings/ watery slurry on some paddocks instead. Walk the farm every week, or few days, you'll be surprised how things will change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭green daries

Mooooo wrote: »
    Pissing rain here all evening. Growth of 65 in the last 6 days, it's improving alright but wet weather and lower DM of grass has stock unsettled, will have paddockor two to take out when weather clears to keep covers right, won't be able to wait for them to go in with first cut. Have been following cows with 20 units N, 2k gallons parlour washings/ watery slurry on some paddocks instead. Walk the farm every week, or few days, you'll be surprised how things will change

Are you still buffering and what with if you are just out of curiosity still buffering here straw and silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Are you still buffering and what with if you are just out of curiosity still buffering here straw and silage

I be surprised if any dairy farmers is not buffering. Had half my stick back inside for a week. Have started feeding ration to a finishing bunch and have left the one inside out to clean paddocks after them. Have eaten part of one sage paddock will have to use half another one as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Will have to put in some of my stock tomorrow for probably at least a week to give the grass a chance to build up.
    Some of the heavy ground getting cut up and whatever bit of grass being trampled.

Not buffering, getting 5kgs 14% in parlour, haven't gone in with silage since they went out fulltime once they could stay out weather wise.

The ice cold rain in May is a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Put in 21 stores on Sunday and grazed 1 acre silage ground so far - with 14 large stock.

Good loser wrote: »
    Put in 21 stores on Sunday and grazed 1 acre silage ground so far - with 14 large stock.
    I'll be doing the same today. Putting in around 20 stores.
    Even though there's a slight improvement this week in growth its still only March weather !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

It's getting a bit hairy here. I've started the third graze on some paddocks this week. I haven't been forced into ground closed for hay or silage. Just about staying ahead of them with grass. 50 x 15 to 26mt olds out on 30 acres. I wont house. Ground like concrete here so will stick in a ring feeder and feed with grass to slow down if needed. Upping meal for the heaviest 20 to get them ready for slaughter thwt bit sooner to slow those on grass. Grass is very dry here almost crisp. They seem to be thriving away on it and cleaning out paddocks very well. I took a chance on sibclair magill grass seed while reseeding over the last few years that performs well in colder conditions into the spring/autumn. Better be lucky than good some times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Cordless grass trimmer in Aldi tomorrow week if anybody wants to do cut and weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

13mm today, heat, and loads of sunshine. Rocketfuel for grass, woohoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭green daries

Cordless grass trimmer in Aldi tomorrow week if anybody wants to do cut and weight

We would need a hoover around these parts to collect the grass lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Timmaay wrote: »

We had great growing humid day here in the midlands but heavy rain last night and very heavy showers again today so ground getting soft especially the re-seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im glad of the few spare bales of silage....ill never look to sell old silage again...priceless!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Going to put in 20 stores. Ground absolutely saturated here after today's rain. They are only walking grass into the ground and bogging the place. Better off in for a few days

Timmaay wrote: »

Very significant growth today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Im glad of the few spare bales of silage....ill never look to sell old silage again...priceless!

Old hay old gold

Going to put in some tomorrow for a week or 10 days hopefully the place will dry out and grass will grow!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Is there ne'ery abit of growth at all?!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,135 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is there ne'ery abit of growth at all?!!

Enough to make a field look better but that's about it.

Possible it is speeding up these days. Hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I walked fields on Thursday that got slurry 3 weeks ago and you could still see it in places but it's a different picture this morning. The grass is jumping out of the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

surprised how sticky the top surface got ( joys of farming in heavy yellow clay i suppose) considering how dry ground had been. Plenty silage bales left over so low growth suited me this year

Hershall wrote: »
    Going to put in some tomorrow for a week or 10 days hopefully the place will dry out and grass will grow!!!!

Ground is drying out quickly. And really fast growth. Don't feed too many bales.

Hershall wrote: »

I let 16 back into the bird cover again with a round bale. There’s a pick grass init too . Normally have it sown by now so glad I haven’t. Got a ton of sulpa can to shake on 16 acres of reseeded paddocks so a week in bird cover will give that a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Robson99 wrote: »
    Going to put in 20 stores. Ground absolutely saturated here after today's rain. They are only walking grass into the ground and bogging the place. Better off in for a few days

Where is that? Conditions where I am in N Galway not so bad, not too much rain, but no growth due to lack of heat.

Growth is taking off here, dry breaks in weather to manage the grass will be the issue now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

great growth here last 2 days in Limerick lovely soft rain and temp well up, place is greening up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Put them in this evening. Grass very tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

At least you have feed for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

whelan2 wrote: »
    At least you have feed for them

My brother has plenty pit left over. A week should make a great difference.

Fine set up.
    I had to do the same last Saturday.
    Disaster... but at least I've plenty of bales.
    Supposed to get warm last week in May.. here's hoping huge burst of growth.

mayota wrote: »
    Put them in this evening. Grass very tight.

Put in some bks on monday to give fields a chance to recover. Theyre settled grand now hoping to get them back out next week as fields are greening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭memorystick

It’s getting messy now. How are calves doing this year? Very hard on them with cold rain and no growth.

• Advertisement

Dunedin wrote: »
    I let 16 back into the bird cover again with a round bale. There’s a pick grass init too . Normally have it sown by now so glad I haven’t. Got a ton of sulpa can to shake on 16 acres of reseeded paddocks so a week in bird cover will give that a chance

Field was swimming after last night rain with zero dry lying for them so into the shed this evening. Hated doing it but no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Field was swimming after last night rain with zero dry lying for them so into the shed this evening. Hated doing it but no choice.

How are you finding grass this week. My farm cover is dropping like a stone at 550kg today. The cold weather and rain over the last week sent me into a tail spin. I may have to rehouse again.

cacs wrote: »
    How are you finding grass this week. My farm cover is dropping like a stone at 550kg today. The cold weather and rain over the last week sent me into a tail spin. I may have to rehouse again.
    Growth seems very slow.
    Also ground very wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Alibaba wrote: »
    Growth seems very slow.
    Also ground very wet

Its moveing here in monaghan. Old Ground I slurried 7 days ago is booming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Its moveing here in monaghan. Old Ground I slurried 7 days ago is booming.

Ground really needed extra p&k this spring.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I'd say your 100 percent right.

Looks like a very good point ..

Grass not too bad and cattle let back out this evening. They’re on reseeded ground which got 2.5k slurry in March followed by 2 bags/acre of pasture sward and then got 1.25 bags/acre of sulpha can two weeks ago so it’s doing very well again.

I was all set to give them another bale this evening which would have left them in til Thursday but walked through it going herding the others and couldn’t believe how it dried so let them out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭memorystick

I need to do soil samples. I’m tight for grass. Tis one of the negative aspects about having sheep for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Grass not too bad and cattle let back out this evening. They’re on reseeded ground which got 2.5k slurry in March followed by 2 bags/acre of pasture sward and then got 1.25 bags/acre of sulpha can two weeks ago so it’s doing very well again.

I was all set to give them another bale this evening which would have left them in til Thursday but walked through it going herding the others and couldn’t believe how it dried so let them out again.

I only have a small farm.
    I went out with store Cattle on the 24 of Feb. I had them in for 17 days since. The cows and calfs have be in and out more times than i know. I am well into my third rotation. But it has been a very tough few months. I am based in the west and not in good ground. The land got Slurry in Early Feb followed by 30 Units of Nitrogen to the acre in March followed by 2 bags of 18.6.12.3S in April and now i am going back in with Prtoected urea 27 Units / acre every 20-25 days. My grass is mainly old and this is my real problem its nots not weather. It does not have the power. On my reseeded paddocks i have grown 4500kg of DM/ ha and on my old pastures i have grown 1800-3000kg / dm/HA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I went out with store Cattle on the 24 of Feb. I had them in for 17 days since. The cows and calfs have be in and out more times than i know. I am well into my third rotation. But it has been a very tough few months. I am based in the west and not in good ground. The land got Slurry in Early Feb followed by 30 Units of Nitrogen to the acre in March followed by 2 bags of 18.6.12.3S in April and now i am going back in with Prtoected urea 27 Units / acre every 20-25 days. My grass is mainly old and this is my real problem its nots not weather. It does not have the power. On my reseeded paddocks i have grown 4500kg of DM/ ha and on my old pastures i have grown 1800-3000kg / dm/HA.

Not having a go now, but does it pay to be going out that often with fertilser?

I'm in the same boat myself a small bit, and maybe the answer is to reduce stocking rate rather than spending more money on fertilser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Not having a go now, but does it pay to be going out that often with fertilser?

I'm in the same boat myself a small bit, and maybe the answer is to reduce stocking rate rather than spending more money on fertilser...

Found that worked for me. reduced ewe numbers and had a higher lambing percentage. Better sending one ewe to the ram in great order and getting twins than two ewes in poor order and getting 2 singles is my way of looking at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Walked the land this evening, paddocks finally starting to take off. Cows in nearly 2 weeks now so plan on letting them back out this Friday. Hopefully it stays this way for awhile

I'm in a similar position. Been a really tough few months.
    Still have around 30 stores inside , land swimming , grass very slow to grow on my old pastures also.
    I'd say I was spoiled the last 3/4 years as loads of grass everywhere and thinking every year would be the same.
    How quickly we forget the bad Springs.
    Too many cattle now , will have to cut back.
    Not going through this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Guaranteed a hape of sun now for at least a week lads, I spread 2 bags of fert last night and it never rains for a week after i do it :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement