Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kaisersosay

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Cheveley Park or anyone else will not pull their horses from Elliot, especially before the festival

So don't be daft.

This will all be forgotten about in a weeks time.

Just like all the corruption and non triers are forgotten about

Can't see this one being forgotten about. The authorities will have to be seen to act. Otherwise they are condoning the behaviour. This isn't a slap on the wrists job. Its the full penalty applied as per the rule book.

In terms of the owners this is huge. Nobody wants to be associated with that.
    The animal is paramount. The wife and the kids love the animal.

Its ok to pull horses in races... or fall off them... or run them down the field... but don't disrespect them. They have been very loyal servants to mankind.
    He's in bother with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

I don't see any owners moving horses. He'll get a fine and some sort of suspension for six months or something, but that'll be it imo. It was a stupid thing to do but it's not like some there's some systematic abuse of animals uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

Holymudderagod, what a load of twaddle about nothing.
    Gotta love all the experts/rumourmongers who don't know the first thing about the game.
    It's a great little country for begrudgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

My 2 cents.

It does look like he was answering a call and making a 2 seconds gesture to someone who wanted to talk to him. One of the people there took a photo of the fat lad sitting on the horse as some kind of fat jockey joke.

What's weird looking is how he got to be straddling the dead horse in the first place. Who stands like that over a dead horse when there's no reason to get into such an uncomfortable position?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Holymudderagod, what a load of twaddle about nothing.
    Gotta love all the experts/rumourmongers who don't know the first thing about the game.
    It's a great little country for begrudgers!

I think it's yourself and the others claiming that this is nothing who are out of touch. You see this is not "about the game", it's about the wider audience. I'd be of the opinion that it'll cause some damage. Don't think he'll lose many owners but a couple, already mentioned, yes. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

The jokey Snapchat caption from whoever took the picture seems to indicate that there is a general disregard for the horses in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Jaysus was convinced this was fake. This is awful stuff from Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

As others have already said, this is not just about Gordon Elliott. Racing will suffer reputational damage from this incident.

The fact that it has come to light coming up to the festival when NH gets it’s fifteen minutes of fame each year is doubly unfortunate.

Now the whole mainstream buildup will be questioning horse welfare within the industry and how at least this Cheltenham won’t be a super spreader event like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

"Racing will suffer reputational damage from this incident". Well if the recent ban of 6 months for Charles Byrnes is anything to go by , lets face it , no one outside racing gave a toss about it , I wonder what " Punishment" will be given to one of the big lads ?? .

mountai wrote: »
    "Racing will suffer reputational damage from this incident". Well if the recent ban of 6 months for Charles Byrnes is anything to go by , lets face it , no one outside racing gave a toss about it , I wonder what " Punishment" will be given to one of the big lads ?? .

Gordon Elliott is a far bigger name than Charlie Byrnes.

Even folk that only have a yearly flutter will know of Elliott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

But that's not the point. "No-one" has ever heard of Charles B and the issue doesn't register with the general public. Some minor trainer in Ireland drugged a horse rates about 0.5/10 for the public.

But a juicy/gory pic of a trainer (again, most won't know him, but this time some will) sitting SMILING on a prone dead horse???? That creates a whole different feeling, and that is what's important here.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Nobody gave a toss about it because not many would know him & nobody outside of racing will care that he doped a horse to try turn a quick quid over on the exchanges.

This is monumental. It was front page of the star today, could have been front page of other papers. It's a horrendous incident for an industry already struggling to progress & fight back vs critics. Not sure what the penalty is for doing this but should be thrown full whack at him, especially post that embarrassing statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

BHA will be under massive pressure to prevent Elliot's horses from running in the UK.
    National Hunt racing is on borrowed time as it is in my opinion.
    I'd say it could be close to evens that he is allowed run his horses at the festival.

Betfair have dropped their association with Elliot immediately. Start of it, watch the dominoes fall I think. Poster above isn't far away re banning of runners I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

Dear God, what a bunch of drama queens. The man 'disrespected' a horse carcass so he should lose his livelihood?
    I would have thought chewing on the flesh of cow or lamb was distinctly more egregious but people differ and animals die.
    Would somebody mind telling me what he actually did wrong?
    The notion of banning his Cheltenham runners is farcical, both from a financial and legal viewpoint.
    Is all this horsesh*t the product of woke culture or Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Dear God, what a bunch of drama queens. The man 'disrespected' a horse carcass so he should lose his livelihood?
    I would have thought chewing on the flesh of cow or lamb was distinctly more egregious but people differ and animals die.
    The notion of banning his Cheltenham runners is farcical, both from a financial and legal viewpoint.

Hi Dick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

This isnt woke culture. This is a man who claims to love and respect the animals in his care and he clearly doesn't.

Could you explain what legal right he has to run horses at any meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

The spelling in the title of this thread is the worst thing about all of this really.

To be honest, I don't entirely disagree with you. But, horse racing could be classed as a blood sport sometimes and its fueled by gambling. Gambling isn't really a good thing.
    I don't know what I agree or disagree with in terms of a sanction, but what I posted is what I believe may happen in today's world.

lemush wrote: »
    The spelling in the title of this thread is the worst thing about all of this really.

haha isn't it just!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭The Rooster

wardides wrote: »
    Betfair have dropped their association with Elliot immediately. Start of it, watch the dominoes fall I think.

Is this true?

Couldn't see anything on their website

https://betting.betfair.com/horse-racing/gordon-elliott/

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Is this true?

Couldn't see anything on their website

https://betting.betfair.com/horse-racing/gordon-elliott/

Yes they dropped him.

Are you comparing somebody eating meat to one of the most successful horse trainers of the current era, sitting on the dead body of a horse purchased for, minimum, several thousand euro to spend several years racing in the public eye?

The bit in bold. Honestly, you absolutely honestly, believe that he's done nothing wrong there?

Mick Fitz on tears on ATR now. He his well and truly goosed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

if he just came out and said it was a bad error of judgement, it wouldnt have been as bad as "i was standing there and took a call so i sat down"

ridiculous statement to come out with, up there with Prince Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I know a horse trainer who would not even waste a bullet on a horse that was no good, he attacked it with a JCB instead and killed it.

Well that is an absolute lie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anyone know what is behind the picture of him sitting on the dead horse looks bad and poor form from him really .

Gordon Elliott, It's a disgusting photograph, but at least spell his name properly.

startrek56 wrote: »
    ridiculous statement to come out with, up there with Prince Andrew

Ah here!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

Ah here!

pizza express at woking!!!

Advertisement