Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales vs England

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Just on the kick thing. I've seen players fumble balls in the past and get a boot on it before it hits the floor and the ref call a knock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Even though this was clearly an unintentional fumble, a sloppy grubber isn't far off a knock on to the foot. A grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

We needed to evolve the team. It is now beginning to happen. Some of it through circumstance some through positive selection.

We have a nice balance of experience, newbies & potential to form a pretty good squad for the next 3 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

sydthebeat wrote: »
    have you any idea why sexton played 80 yesterday???

Yes thanks
    My point is I wouldn’t have had him even starting

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Yes thanks
    My point is I wouldn’t have had him even starting

Good job you don't pick the team then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Yes
    I’ll go look for a “fcuking clue”

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah using phrases like "robbed by the ref" doesn't come across as very professional and just baiting for a reaction... But to be singled out and targeted by cowardly keyboard idiots is absolutely not on

I find her post match interviews absolutely cringeworthy - bants and nicknames with winners, always looking for the controversial quote from the losers. Her interview with Farrell was just another example.

But regardless of your opinions of her interviewing style or skills, no-one deserves that type of abuse.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fitz wrote: »
    I find her post match interviews absolutely cringeworthy - bants and nicknames with winners, always looking for the controversial quote from the losers. Her interview with Farrell was just another example.

But regardless of your opinions of her interviewing style or skills, no-one deserves that type of abuse.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

France won 50 - 10 and everyone here was in awe of their attack and how good they looked

We win 48 - 10 and have 3 more ruled out by the TMO and we're a shambles, not good enough, coaches out

Some people just haven't a fcuking clue.

Just took a look at the comment section of both Ireland & Frances win over Italy on YouTube and it’s fair to say it’s two completely different narratives...you’d swear France had ripped a good team apart with the level of praise they are getting yet when we did the same thing it’s all about how bad Italy are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

fitz wrote: »

You're correct, but everyone knows that any sort of controversy results in a pile-on. Refs get it, Managers get it, Players get it, pundits get it. Admittedly it is a wee bit more rare in rugby.

I would suggest that anyone in the public eye who feels they could not handle that ought to reshape their social media presence to be private or anonymous and become oblivious to the chatter about themselves while getting on with their actual job how they feel is best.

I have to say though, despite the unnecessary adjectives and vitriol bombs that went with it, criticism of McLaughlin's conduct yesterday is fully justified. The interviews became very uncomfortable and decidedly tabloid.

I'd be interested in the opinion of a Joanne Cantwell or a Claire McNamara or especially a Sinead Kissane as to the level of disservice McLaughlin did to women in sports journalism and broadcasting with "sitting crying in my car, hope you're happy". A problem compounded and prolonged I would suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Larbre34 wrote: »

I'd be interested in the opinion of a Joanne Cantwell or a Claire McNamara or especially a Sinead Kissane as to the level of disservice McLaughlin did to women in sports journalism and broadcasting with "sitting crying in my car, hope you're happy". A problem compounded and prolonged I would suggest.

Do you not think that is at the very least vaguely sexist to say that? So in your opinion a woman admitting she was brought to tears after vile abuse. Some how makes her less relevant? Why because men wouldn’t admit that? So therefore any woman who wants to be a commentator on rugby shouldn’t either. Maybe she should have taken Genge’s approach and called them out? Would that have been manly enough to make her a rugby journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Example? I've seen players knock the ball forward off the hand, catch it with their foot for a kick and it wasn't a knock on.

Wasnt that what Zebo did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭theVersatile

GreeBo wrote: »
    Wasnt that what Zebo did?

Zebo never knocked the ball on.

The ball went from Heaslips pass directly onto Zebos heel; as opposed to Zebo dropping the ball onto his heel and regathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

stephen_n wrote: »
    Do you not think that is at the very least vaguely sexist to say that? So in your opinion a woman admitting she was brought to tears after vile abuse. Some how makes her less relevant? Why because men wouldn’t admit that? So therefore any woman who wants to be a commentator on rugby shouldn’t either. Maybe she should have taken Genge’s approach and called them out? Would that have been manly enough to make her a rugby journalist?

Yes it a bit sexist but it is also a fair point. Women commentating on sports like rugby, soccer, cricket, GAA are unfortunately going to have to deal with neanderthal fans who think her place is in the kitchen. It means that they are going to have to be more knowledgeable, better and tougher than a lot of their male counterparts. That is the reality when you are one of the trailblazers.

She is absolutely right to call out the abuse but saying she was crying in her car is not a good way to do it. She needs a thicker skin if she is going to do interviews the way she did on Saturday. She was trying to get a rise out of Farrell and Jones so she should expect some blowback. I think any interviewer should.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely.

I'm aware of course theres a sexist aspect, how could there not be. We should talk about what we're talking about.

I guess my core point is, should the journalist ever make it about themselves? A person of Sonja's experience should be talking to the people who really matter in the aftermath of a questionable incident, her producers and editors and then her family and friends for the support you would need after having a bruising day.

I'm asking what the reaction of other journalists, especially women, would think of her saying basically 'crying in the car'? If she backs her own style, and why wouldn't she, she's got to be more circumspect and focus on herself and the next job. She's too experienced to be doing otherwise.

Zebo never knocked the ball on.

The ball went from Heaslips pass directly onto Zebos heel; as opposed to Zebo dropping the ball onto his heel and regathering.

Ah right you are, I just checked it as I knew he had juggled it "forward" but it was after the heel flick alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

swiwi_ wrote: »
    As I said yesterday we got some fortune so no issues from me..... . It looked a knock on in real time. The TMO process confused the issue and spat out the wrong answer. Saying that...... Wales were on a penalty advantage so would probably have slotted 3 points or put it on the 5 mtre line for an attacking line out.

Whilst we are talking about the TMO.....there was no scrutiny of the final pass for Watson's score.... Looked suspiciously forward to me.

Swings and roundabouts.... The boot was on the other foot after the 2018 fixture!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Things move on, gives the English fans something to moan about, poor divils.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »

"Jutge added: “The ball was not under the control of the Welsh wing and went forward on to his thigh. In the laws such as they’re written, there isn’t this notion of loss of control, that’s why this situation lends itself to confusion."

You mean this bit or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He said "There is a loss of control, the ball goes forward, so it’s a knock on." - It can't be clearer that he is saying it was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Jaysus lads..
    You’d swear the decision had gone against Ireland the amount of discussion...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Owens has spoken

Please don't post links from that scum clickbait site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

ckeego wrote: »
    Jaysus lads..
    You’d swear the decision had gone against Ireland the amount of discussion...

To be honest the decision went against the fundamentals of the game. 'The ball is passed backwards'
    How any person, officials or viewers couldnt see that is baffling. Hence the discussion.

Some posters dug a very large hole for themselves and yet.......... silence.
    At least the referee admitted he was wrong unlke others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

With the first try those England backs had returned to their defensive positions on the England their left field side and were ready. Those on the right where the try was scored were much slower and were out of position.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-20-30-38.png
    free image hosting

With the first try those England backs had returned to their defensive positions on the England left field side and were ready. Those on the right where the try was scored were much slower and were out of position.
    That’s rubbish.

12 of the 15 were under the posts waiting for a penalty kick to posts. George Ford reacted on the right hand side.

2 players covered the left where there we’re actually 4 Welsh players lined up too.

See the camera angle here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

ckeego wrote: »
    See the camera angle here.

That image of yours is well before the kick was taken to score the try. Here is the moment that the ball left Biggers foot for the try. As you can see England were well set on the right side but were slow to form up on the left. I am not saying that they were not disadvantages by the ref but this is what actually happened.
    Screen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-20-30-38.png
    free image hosting

Advertisement