Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales vs England

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I can't believe that clown of a referee is still getting international games.
    He has always been incompetant and clueless. He's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I’m watching behind the live feed but that was so a knock on. Awful decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jeremy Guscott "if Wales can't get an England player sent off, at least they have ref on their team":D

Said as a joke by the way in case anyone gets annoyed. But it shows how jammy Wales have been through this tournament.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The ball has not been considered knocked forward until it touches the ground, or another player. The ball is knocked backwards off red’s leg. Correct decision by TMO.

Ehhhh

That's novel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Have you ever seen a player knock it forward into the air and then catch it? Then you've seen the same interpretation.

Possession: An individual or team in control of the ball or who are attempting to
    bring it under control. (Definitions in the law book)

The juggling example is completely different and accounted for above. In the LRZ example, the player loses possession forward. He is not in control. Regardless of the ball hitting off his back of his leg, he never regains possession or control of the ball. Therefore, the ball was lost forward therefore its a knock on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

lawred2 wrote: »
    There's no mention of that in the rules

I’ve read it three times now from different sources.

“If they fail to catch or pick up the ball cleanly and it travels forward off a hand or arm and hits the ground or another player, it is called a knock-on.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/rules_and_equipment/4204144.stm

We've often seen where a player loses control of a ball and then throws a leg at it to kick but it's called as a knock on.

It was 100% a knock on. The player tried to take control but knocks it forwards onto himself and never gathers the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Possession: An individual or team in control of the ball or who are attempting to
    bring it under control. (Definitions in the law book)

The juggling example is completely different and accounted for above. In the LRZ example, the player loses possession forward. He is not in control. Regardless of the ball hitting off his back of his leg, he never regains possession or control of the ball. Therefore, the ball was lost forward therefore its a knock on.

Is LRZ not attempting to bring it under control?

I’ve read it three times now from different sources.

“If they fail to catch or pick up the ball cleanly and it travels forward off a hand or arm and hits the ground or another player, it is called a knock-on.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/rules_and_equipment/4204144.stm

It did hit another player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Have you ever seen a player knock it forward into the air and then catch it? Then you've seen the same interpretation.

In that scenario he has control of the ball when he catches it.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It did hit another player

It hit his own leg and went backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It'll be very interesting to see what Nigel Owens says about the three tries today on his world rugby video log thing.

When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Is LRZ not attempting to bring it under control?

Not when it hits off his arse. So him playing it was his hand is, but once it hits his leg it's the equivalent of hitting the ground or another player (unless he manages to regather it between his hand and his leg, preventing it from hitting the ground, and regaining possession/control)

It is actually quite obvious that it’s not a knock on. The player has fumbled the ball backwards off his own leg. The fact that the ball moved forward between hitting his hand, then leg, according to every example of the rule I can find, is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

bilston wrote: »
    Jeremy Guscott "if Wales can't get an England player sent off, at least they have ref on their team":D

Said as a joke by the way in case anyone gets annoyed. But it shows how jammy Wales have been through this tournament.

He did also say he didn't believe the Wales try was a knock on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

It is actually quite obvious that it’s not a knock on. The player has fumbled the ball backwards off his own leg. The fact that the ball moved forward between hitting his hand, then leg, according to every example of the rule I can find, is irrelevant.

He touched it forward with his hand

Did he regather it? Yes or no?

It hit his own leg and went backwards

Nope, he hit it forwards onto his own leg.

Hi didn't kick it.
    It hit the English player.
    At that point it was a knock on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

England should have a great 2nd half if they have clean ball in hand. But they have to behave themselves when they're out there. They really can't afford to slip up against a lucky Wales team.

Not when it hits off his arse. So him playing it was his hand is, but once it hits his leg it's the equivalent of hitting the ground or another player (unless he manages to regather it between his hand and his leg, preventing it from hitting the ground, and regaining possession/control)

Why is hitting the leg the equivalent of hitting the ground? Surely that means every kick would be a knock on, no?

• Advertisement

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    He touched it forward with his hand

Did he regather it? Yes or no?

I see no mention of “gathering”, “regathering” or “control” in any rule that I have read.

Nope, he hit it forwards onto his own leg.

Hi didn't kick it.
    It hit the English player.
    At that point it was a knock on

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TV3 in hysterics over the decision, moreso than BBC.

Obvious to you and not too many other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

"Use it".

Seven seconds ref. Use it applies to you too.

Why is hitting the leg the equivalent of hitting the ground? Surely that means every kick would be a knock on, no?

Ah come on Paul, this is rugby 101 here.

You have to be in possession to kick the ball.
    You can lose possession and still kick the ball and it still can be a knock on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I see no mention of “gathering”, “regathering” or “control” in any rule that I have read.

Because if the ball goes forward off the hand it’s a knock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

True but surely there must be an attempt to kick the ball in the current situation

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Because if the ball goes forward off the hand it’s a knock on.

Not until it touches the ground or another player.

• Advertisement

Ah come on Paul, this is rugby 101 here.

You have to be in possession to kick the ball.
    You can lose possession and still kick the ball and it still can be a knock on

Example? I've seen players knock the ball forward off the hand, catch it with their foot for a kick and it wasn't a knock on.

Advertisement