Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales vs England

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That image of yours is well before the kick was taken to score the try. Here is the moment that the ball left Biggers foot for the try. As you can see England were well set on the right side but were slow to form up on the left. I am not saying that they were not disadvantages by the ref but this is what actually happened.
    Screen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-20-30-38.png
    free image hosting

Both pics are at the same time, (well actually the other angle is half a minute or so later, but not much has changed on the pitch) the other one is cropped and doesnt show the English left wing who is also in position.

They had enough time to get into position imo, though once the ref tells you to talk to your players he really shouldnt blow time on until you signal you are ready imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

That image of yours is well before the kick was taken to score the try. Here is the moment that the ball left Biggers foot for the try. As you can see England were well set on the right side but were slow to form up on the left. I am not saying that they were not disadvantages by the ref but this is what actually happened.
    Screen-Shot-2021-03-02-at-20-30-38.png
    free image hosting[/quot

You post edited your initial post...

He’s kicking the ball in my posted photo! Ford is moving but is the only one to do so! Where is Anthony Watson??

There is also a very good reason why Southern Hemisphere coaches for years watched from behind the posts and why a lot of video analysis is taken from above and behind the posts and not from the view we all get on the Telly.

Farrell was told to speak to his players but it shouldn’t mean that they needed to congregate they did. They simply believed that Wales were going to take an easy 3. Schoolboy error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

When virgin did the analysis they showed Farrell asking the ref if the water could come on after Gauzere told him to speak to his players. After the try Farrell was arguing that the water carriers were still on and they had no time to set.

They were congregating because it was a water break. There were several Welsh players congregated around a water carrier too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Scratchly wrote: »
    They were congregating because it was a water break. There were several Welsh players congregated around a water carrier too.

I wonder if that was intentional on the part of the Welsh players? Virgin also had the audio of AWJ clearly asking the ref to let them know as soon as time was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Scratchly wrote: »
    When virgin did the analysis they showed Farrell asking the ref if the water could come on after Gauzere told him to speak to his players. After the try Farrell was arguing that the water carriers were still on and they had no time to set.

Pretty sure the huddle was called by Farrell to follow refs decision to have a word with his players (this he could have done without the huddle)

AWJ then asks to know when time is on.. Wales’s have set out a stall..

Gauzere called “Time On”

I’ll stand corrected but it wasn’t an official water break. You can have water carriers on at say penalty/conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ben Bailey

When the referee instructs a captain to 'speak to his players' he wants his message / instruction / caution to be relayed clearly to the remainder of that captain's team. If the referee considers that his message / instruction / caution is necessary then he should not act in any manner that hinders it's efficient delivery. Every game has stoppages (too many usually). The referee decides on their duration. Gauzere seemed to decide that everything he said to Farrell could have been conveyed by Farrell to all 14 England players in very much briefer terms than he himself had used. If Farrell had not signalled his team to listen to him, would Gauzere interpret this as a failure to follow his instruction ?. Sometimes the captain addressed by the referee asks if he can speak to his team and the referees assents to this. Perhaps Farrell didn't seem penitent or contrite enough to Gauzere ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Farrell asked if it could be a water break and the ref agreed.

It’s all moot now anyway, Pascal, his boss and even Nigel Owens have all said the two tries shouldn’t hand stuck.

The TMO for the knock on had to get a proper slap on the wrist for that surely, him and Poite.

Bad weekend for the officials.

The best explanation I've seen is that the ref expected Biggar to kick to the corner as opposed to a cross field, hence his lack of concern but subsequent belief that his hands were tied.

He should have called it back and a strong ref would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Farrell not always too bothered when there's water carriers on the pitch.
    https://twitter.com/andrewfrugby/status/1367064841706430464

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

.ak wrote: »
    Farrell asked if it could be a water break and the ref agreed.

It’s all moot now anyway, Pascal, his boss and even Nigel Owens have all said the two tries shouldn’t hand stuck.

The TMO for the knock on had to get a proper slap on the wrist for that surely, him and Poite.

Bad weekend for the officials.

I hate slagging off officials, but is it just me or has it been a poor tournament for them in general? Some really strange decisions in the England Italy game as well, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

aloooof wrote: »
    I hate slagging off officials, but is it just me or has it been a poor tournament for them in general? Some really strange decisions in the England Italy game as well, iirc.

Same - honestly feels like undue amount of pressure been applied to them pre-tournament, and they're over-egging things imo which is leading to some really odd calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Yes it a bit sexist but it is also a fair point. Women commentating on sports like rugby, soccer, cricket, GAA are unfortunately going to have to deal with neanderthal fans who think her place is in the kitchen. It means that they are going to have to be more knowledgeable, better and tougher than a lot of their male counterparts. That is the reality when you are one of the trailblazers.

She is absolutely right to call out the abuse but saying she was crying in her car is not a good way to do it. She needs a thicker skin if she is going to do interviews the way she did on Saturday. She was trying to get a rise out of Farrell and Jones so she should expect some blowback. I think any interviewer should.

I recently moved back from California to Ireland. It used to be a cliche that in California people overshared their feelings, talk tv was overly sentimental and everyone had a shrink and was literate in the vagaries and importance of mental health. Meanwhile in Ireland everyone was in denial about depression, suicide, sexual abuse, alcoholism, domestic violence, bullying, etc. In the last 15 or 20 years Ireland has caught up and arguably surpassed California in legitimising the importance and validity of peoples feelings, their perceptions and their subjective experiences. It was long overdue even if it's a bit of a chore to sit through another interview with a mediocre standup comic talking about his struggles with alcohol or his being bullied as a kid because of his speech impediment, but it's a small price to pay. I regard it a bit like identity politics, it's repetitive and boring but we have to go through it.

The vast majority of journalists are looking for a headline, not some dull rubbish about being proud of the lads which is usually what you'll get from losing captains and coaches. They all need something to take back to their editor and it's their job to get it. If a bloke asked the same questions in the same way (which they've done countless times) there is no story here. They don't actually need a thicker skin to do the job because the trolls and misogynists and inadequates probably aren't going after them in the same way. McLaughlin sharing her tears is actually appropriate given female journalists and public figures experiences of troll bullying on social media for doing their jobs. Coming out and talking about the psychological toll and the personal experience of assault that this kind of trolling produces puts more pressure on society to confront it, to make it unacceptable and not just a normal part of the social landscape. Anti racist stuff has succeeded in large part in doing the same thing, making behaviour that was seen as normal previously now seem entirely unacceptable. She needs to grow a pair is not really the way to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

aloooof wrote: »

Ireland's first two games were reffed quite well, I thought. They weren't error free but I don't think we can have any complaints regarding those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

ersatz wrote: »
    The vast majority of journalists are looking for a headline, not some dull rubbish about being proud of the lads which is usually what you'll get from losing captains and coaches. They all need something to take back to their editor and it's their job to get it. If a bloke asked the same questions in the same way (which they've done countless times) there is no story here. They don't actually need a thicker skin to do the job because the trolls and misogynists and inadequates probably aren't going after them in the same way. McLaughlin sharing her tears is actually appropriate given female journalists and public figures experiences of troll bullying on social media for doing their jobs. Coming out and talking about the psychological toll and the personal experience of assault that this kind of trolling produces puts more pressure on society to confront it, to make it unacceptable and not just a normal part of the social landscape. Anti racist stuff has succeeded in large part in doing the same thing, making behaviour that was seen as normal previously now seem entirely unacceptable. She needs to grow a pair is not really the way to look at it.

I get why she was conducting the interview the way she did. I don't like that style of interview immediately after a match but I understand why she did it. However when you interview someone trying to goad a reaction, you shouldn't be surprised when you get a reaction. When it involves a sports star, there will be a reaction from fans. And some of those reactions will be disgusting and moronic. You are 100% wrong that male journalists/pundits don't get the same sort of abuse.

She is right to call out the rude and abusive messages. She should've posted screenshots showing the Twitter handles of that posted them. Name and shame. My issue with her response is saying that she was crying in her car. Because people were mean to her on the internet. It makes her look weak and pathetic and begging for sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I get why she was conducting the interview the way she did. I don't like that style of interview immediately after a match but I understand why she did it. However when you interview someone trying to goad a reaction, you shouldn't be surprised when you get a reaction. When it involves a sports star, there will be a reaction from fans. And some of those reactions will be disgusting and moronic. You are 100% wrong that male journalists/pundits don't get the same sort of abuse.

She is right to call out the rude and abusive messages. She should've posted screenshots showing the Twitter handles of that posted them. Name and shame. My issue with her response is saying that she was crying in her car. Because people were mean to her on the internet. It makes her look weak and pathetic and begging for sympathy.

Fair enough, but I still think the tears bit goes from content (people already know the nature of the abuse) to impact. It’s more effective in terms of changing attitudes. That she’s looking for sympathy is your take but in lots of people it evokes empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Venjur wrote: »
    The best explanation I've seen is that the ref expected Biggar to kick to the corner as opposed to a cross field, hence his lack of concern but subsequent belief that his hands were tied.

He should have called it back and a strong ref would have.

Half the English back line made it into position, so the other could have done it to, if they were awake imo.

Advertisement