Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Just got a rather nice Tissot from herself for a landmark birthday and am really looking forward to wearing it. (I know, it's only "entry level" to you connoisseurs but if I had €18k to spend I'd buy a decent car!)

Of course I have to wait for lockdown to end so I can get the bracelet resized.....:(

Is the default size of a watch wearer's wrist that of a gorilla?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Just got a rather nice Tissot and am really looking forward to wearing it. (I know, it's only "entry level" to you connoisseurs but if I had €18k to spend I'd buy a decent car!)

Of course I have to wait for lockdown to end so I can get the bracelet resized.....:(

Almost ditto here, modest but nice watch, waiting for bracelet adjustment too:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I wear a smart watch on a daily basis, I have some accessory watches for when I want to get dressed up, and I have a simple “It does not look fashionable, but it tells me the time quickly and easily” in places where electronic devices are prohibited or just not practical.

The inconvenience of reaching into a pocket to pull out a ‘phone in the event that I may wish to know the time (or impoliteness in certain circumstances) well merits having the time on my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Just got a rather nice Tissot from herself for a landmark birthday and am really looking forward to wearing it. (I know, it's only "entry level" to you connoisseurs but if I had €18k to spend I'd buy a decent car!)

You could have a go doing it yourself, there are arrows on a lot of watches to tell you which way to push out the pins. I'm sure YouTube have videos on it. Also you should check if the pins are screw in. I recently got a watch that had those pins and I had the the links taken out in 5 minutes it was so easy I'd like to see all bracelets have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Might be no harm to try adjustments on an older watch first? Handy to be able to do adjustments yourself, some people need extra link in summer or in warmer weather as wrist can expand from the heat. Must check YouTube myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Wear a Fitbit watch daily, dead handy to be able pay for stuff in shops by tapping it.

Have a tag and mont blanc too but don't get to wear them much these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Watches tug on my wrist hairs so can't wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Watches tug on my wrist hairs so can't wear one.
    Did you hear about the tugger who over-wound his automatic watch?

He had to buy another watch and wear it on his other wrist...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I always have to check that a bracelet will fit, I'm in the lucky position that all links and all micro adjusts is a good fit most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I wear a garmin watch because I have an extraordinarily bad sense of direction so I like to maintain redundancy in sat navs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I wear watches. I have 3 or 4 but mostly only wear the same one all the time. It is quiet a heavy watch and when it is not there it is like a limb is missing. It tells my the date and time as well as the day and as stopwatches on it too. Its all I need in a watch. I am old fashioned like that. I do not need any of these fitness or Apple watch gimics. Sure both the parents even have them things but nope not happening.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

deisedav wrote: »
    You could have a go doing it yourself, there are arrows on a lot of watches to tell you which way to push out the pins. .....

...well, maybe YOU could. Me, I wouldn't trust myself.
    chinwag wrote: »
    Might be no harm to try adjustments on an older watch first?

Sound advice indeed!

Meh, by the time I watch enough YouTube videos to muster up enough confidence to attempt such an intricate task (whatever about my wrist I have fingers like a gorilla!) lockdown restrictions will be eased anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Wear my fitbit daily.

Also have a decent Gucci dress watch, a Raymond Weil and a lovely Breitling, which always is commented on when I wear it.

Yes, I sport an onion ring with notches ingeniously carved (eaten) to triangulate moon, sun and my own shadow. Newgrange wouldn't get a look in, I can estimate the time to the nearest Angelus.

Yes, I sport an onion ring with notches ingeniously carved (eaten) to triangulate moon, sun and my own shadow. Newgrange wouldn't get a look in, I can estimate the time to the nearest Angelus.

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

310px-Tijdvereffening-equation_of_time-en.jpg

You need The Equation Of Time to take into account the eccentricity of Earths orbit.

Of course an onion ring will only tell you local time. To get the exact time you need your latitude which you can get from observations of the satellites of Jupiter and comparing them to the published values. And a wee bit of maths.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Do I? Yup.

Advertisement