Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Everyday watch: Garmin Vivoactive
    Sport watch: Garmin Fenix 6
    Special Occasion Watch: Breitling Superocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Never got the appeal myself. Had a few when I was a teen, but usually got broken/lost because of shenanigans. Just never replaced a broken one and aside from a few times, never wore one since. The few times was when my then missus bought me a watch for my birthday when I was about 28 or so. I think I did a good job of hiding my disappointment, because to me, buying me a watch was silly as I never wore them or showed any interest in them. Looking back, I can now see that maybe she wanted me to start wearing them, but after a few years of me not wearing them, she could have asked in a throwaway manner if I would wear one. Had to wear it a few times then, but I was also a Garda then so didn't want to wear it to work, saw too many colleagues lose expensive watches in scuffles, or worse, searches.

Can't wear them now, just doesn't feel right. And I don't get the fashion side of it, but I don't get the fashion side of anything. I'll reserve my comments for the amounts of money people drop on them though. Will end up starting a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

McHardcore wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense to wear a watch. Functionally, they are surplus to requirements. We now have devices in our pockets that are far better at scheduling your day, and i'm not referring to pocket watches: You are either on a phone right now or sitting at a computer that is superior for timekeeping.
    The only reason left for wearing them is for fashion. However, unlike, say, a nice jacket, a watch offers little to no functional use. They are already on their way to becoming the next monocle, tailcoat, wallet-chain or bum-bag.
    I don't understand the old men who are into them any more than I understand those into Subbuteo sets, CB radios or painting toy soldiers. I can only imagine that it is an attempt to relive their youth or an attempt at peacocking by using them as jewellery.
    A smart watch makes a bit more sense IMHO, in particular for sports.

Yeah, but....

When I want to know what time it is, I glance down at my wrist, and then I know what time it is. Pretty functional. I know, I could look at my phone, but that involves taking out my phone and doing the 'hold it up to your face to unlock' rigmarole. And if I'm out and about, its a bit of a pain in the hoop running home to boot up the auld laptop.

:D

"Surplus to requirements."

Every wall clock in Ireland is surplus to requirements by that logic but I'm sure you still glance at them instead of taking out your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Aside from the convenience of not having to take your phone out just to check the time and just being able to check it at a quick glance, watches are a great style accessory. I definitely have more respect for those that make the effort to wear a good watch. Doesnt have to be expensive but certainly completes man's attire.

I don't care much when I see women wear them. They have millions of other things to put on their wrists. But I think its manly to wear a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I don't anymore because with the work I do theyll be made sh1t of in no time at all. Have a decent collection of them for special occasions, will throw up a pic later

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Wear an wrist watch as jewelry if you want. But let's not pretend it's as useful as it was. It is being superseded by laptops, smart watches, phones, wearables and numerous other electronic devices that tell the time that have made it surplus to requirements.
    "Surplus to requirements."

Every wall clock in Ireland is surplus to requirements by that logic but I'm sure you still glance at them instead of taking out your phone.

Wall clocks are becoming surplus to requirements. How many wall clocks are being added to public places? I doubt they are as common as they once were. Similarly, old-schools watches are not as common as they once were, not with the current generation anyway.
    endacl wrote: »
    I could look at my phone, but that involves taking out my phone and doing the 'hold it up to your face to unlock' rigmarole.
    :D

What janky phone brand has to be unlocked to see the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I have a Garmin which I only wear when I go out a run.

Other than that, I don't have a watch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I used to keep one in my pocket but it kept falling out, so now I have it on a chain buttoned onto my shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wear an wrist watch as jewelry if you want. But let's not pretend it's as useful as it was. It is being superseded by laptops, smart watches, phones, wearables and numerous other electronic devices that tell the time that have made it surplus to requirements.

can you wear a laptop on your wrist or carry one in your pocket?
    Wall clocks are becoming surplus to requirements. How many wall clocks are being added to public places? I doubt they are as common as they once were. Similarly, old-schools watches are not as common as they once were, not with the current generation anyway.

every household has a clock of some kind, public places like bus stations, train stations, schools, libraries, health clinics and hospitals will always have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

I wear one everywhere except when I'm just lounging around the house.

just a heads up

a rare rolex will be featured in tonight's million pound pawn on ITV @ 8.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I haven't worn a watch since I first carried a mobile phone.

I still keep my last watch which was a nice analogue timepiece I got as a pressy for my 30th. Who throws away gifts like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I don't really need to near a watch. Just like the look of a nice watch and so have a few that I rotate.

Anyway I find that many of us, myself included are too stuck to our mobile phones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I do when I go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I do when I go out.
    So not for the last year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

'let's not pretend they're as useful as they were... what? They tell the time same as always so are exactly as useful as always. And they will never need plugging into a wall or a special wire.

Silly thing to sat imo. Wall clocks will always be around as well.... Why?

Digital devices rely on electricity every few days or they stop working. An automatic, eco drive, hand wound can last forever without any help, a quartz will go years on a single battery.

And they simply look better, are more tangible. It's actual physical objects forming the signals that tell you the time, not just a cartoon like image on a screen.

Watches are still a massive industry, there are numerous very popular watch blogs and sites like hodinkee, watch reviews on youtube are huge, and there are loads of insta accounts of juat watch shots. No offense but you're just lacking in knowledge in this area and basing your claims on your limited daily observations/social circle. For example, there are many, many companies that just make watch STRAPS alone, in various materials, and the ones who make high quality ones make major profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What's the point?

They are now rendered obsolete.

Life moves forward.

That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

What's the point?

They are now rendered obsolete.

Life moves forward.

That's life.

Obsolete... That word... It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Watches still tell time, how are they obsolete?

The hilarious thing is you probably think smartphones and watches are making them obsolete, when in fact THOSE products are the ones that quickly go obsolete, which is why they are replaced every year with a new model.

You've probably updated the software on your current phone more times than most watches would need servicing over their entire life, which can be not just several decades, but several generations.

You haven't a clue what you're on about tbh. If you think watches are undesirable, old hat, etc. Try walking into a Rolex dealer and say you want a stainless steel GMT master.

You'll be laughed at, because people are on waiting lists for months or even years to get one. They must be obsolete, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't wear a watch myself, as much because my eyesight is poor enough to make them hard to read as for any other reason. I get the time off my tablet in giant text. Still have to respect the craftsmanship. Got a random fob watch in an auction lot that someone identified for me on the watches forum. It started ticking by itself randomly the other night and scared the bejesus out of me. I hop it's not haunted by the guy I had to kill to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Obsolete... That word... It doesn't mean what you think it means.

The hilarious thing is you probably think smartphones and watches are making them obsolete, when in fact THOSE products are the ones that quickly go obsolete, which is why they are replaced every year with a new model.

You've probably updated the software on your current phone more times than most watches would need servicing over their entire life, which can be not just several decades, but several generations.

You haven't a clue what you're on about tbh. If you think watches are undesirable, old hat, etc. Try walking into a Rolex dealer and say you want a stainless steel GMT master.

You'll be laughed at, because people are on waiting lists for months or even years to get one. They must be obsolete, yeah?

I don't own a watch and didn't pre I phones or smart technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

In certain situations it is deemed as unprofessional to take out your phone to check the time.

Watches are terribly efficient in fairness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can remember when everyone had a watch.

They were as ubiquitous as mobile phones are now.

Everyone used to have a film camera. Flights were booked through a travel agent. Every house had a VHS recorder and a CRT television. Every car had a radio with a cassette player.

I *hate* setting the time on ovens and microwaves. And yes I hated changing the day of the month on watches. Real PITA, it's so much better with clocks that use time signals, teletext etc.

As jewellery they still have a niche. But like vinyl they aren't coming back. IIRC Vinyl peaked at 2% of the previous volumes.

Yes I did change the battery in a watch recently, but I'll need to get a new strap. It's one of those Timex ones with the electroluminescent displays. Cool at the time, but a wee bit noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Haven't worn a watch in years. But I'm forever looking at my phone to check the time and then looking twice because I never checked the actual time at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In certain situations it is deemed as unprofessional to take out your phone to check the time.

Watches are terribly efficient in fairness.
    Especially the self winding automatics ;)

are wind-up watches still being made?? wouldn't mind getting one for old time sake

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I do, although rarely these days since the whole pandemic situation started. I may invest in something nice shortly. I currently have a rather nice Rotary that I gave my Dad for his 80th birthday and which came back to me when he died in 2013, God be good to the good and kind man. I also have a 22-year-old gold-plated Citizen that has served well and is battle-hardened, and last but by no means least a much loved fake Rolex that I bought for 20 squid from the legendary Jimmy Barry Murphy in a pub in Lanzarote! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

fryup wrote: »
    are wind-up watches still being made?? wouldn't mind getting one for old time sake

plenty different ones still around.
    One nice example I can think of:
    https://www.poljot24.de/en/uhrtypen/handaufzugsuhren/2609-3745128.html

EDITED to add:
    Of course there's more than just Russian watches that are still made with handwind movements.
    The famous Omega moonwatch for example is still handwind . Countless other still are as well. And then there are lots of exclusive pieces made with old pocket watch movements or refurbished old handwind movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I like the old pocket watch, on a chain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

dinorebel wrote: »
    So not for the last year then.

No a few times this week actually.

Advertisement