Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

10 past 12 and drizzly ...

545155.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it still customary to give a boy a watch on his 13th birthday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember that tradition alright. Doubt it's still in play these days. Another one was gifting a watch to a girlfriend was damn near considered a proposal. I've given a couple of my longtermers watches as presents. None of yer muck either, vintage Tudors and Omega's, though back when values weren't mad to be fair. I do recall a couple of mates and parentals being all like "eh wut?" at the time. I could tell which ones approved and which ones didn't. :D I don't know if that's still a thing either?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

how would you rate Tissot and Tag Heuer in the prestige stakes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Haven't worn a watch in years but I had a calculator watch back in the day and my eldest brother brought a casio tv watch but it didn't work on our tv so he had to bring it back.

d2985bdd65942b3794ddf02c05c450a1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SinclairWrist_1.JPG

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

I wear two, a nice mechanical on one and a Garmin tracker thing on the other

You've got a lot of time on your hands, you two-timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

fryup wrote: »
    how would you rate Tissot and Tag Heuer in the prestige stakes?

https://relozo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/watch_heirarchy-scaled.jpg

This should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Started wearing a watch in my late teens, not just because they are good for telling time, but I felt that wearing a watch made you look like you knew what you were doing.

I have 3 that get rotated in and out of use as I lose and find them; 2 Sekondas and a Rotary.

That said I've fallen out of the habit of wearing them a lot since the pandemic started, as I work in healthcare and the new intensity of PPE, handwashing etc. made a watch awkward to wear in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 biobot

km991148 wrote: »
    Let's Face it, that was pretty poor..

I second that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

893bet wrote: »
    Also this thread is pointless without pics. Wearing this for the last ten days or so. Badly due a rotation this weekend.

EB7-ED74-B-9127-4-E80-AFB5-ED18-DCFEE338.jpgexotic names

That's some flex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I have a G-Shock, a vintage Seiko dress watch from 1966, an Invicta Diver my wife bought me on honeymoon, a Henry of London Moonphase with leather strap, a Citizen World Time quartz chronograph, an Omega "Bond" Seamaster automatic and an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I mostly wear the Seamaster.

anyone watch Antiques Roadshow tonight?? they a ladies Cartier bracelet watch circa 1920 encrusted with tiny diamonds, valued at 8k

personally i thought it would be more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Let's face it, watches are for showoffs, ponces and ladymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

....and people who need to know the time..
    anyone watch Antiques Roadshow tonight?? they a ladies Cartier bracelet watch circa 1920 encrusted with tiny diamonds, valued at 8k

Ladies watches are always worth a fair bit less than gents.
    Watch enthusiasts are almost always male.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

....and people who need to know the time..
    GPS , internet, time signals on LW and other broadcasts ...

GPS satellites are 20,000km up, so the furtherest away you can see one is less than 30,000Km.

Light travels at 300,000Km/s so once you pick up ANY GPS signal you have time accurate to +/- a tenth of a second.

As long as you are on planet Earth and your signal isn't being faked.

But it's easier with a watch.. I don't need time accurate to tenths of a second.

And physical buttons create muscle memory. I start my stopwatch without even having to look at my wrist, compared to taking out phone, unlocking it, clicking the time, clicking the stopwatch, and pressing start.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

Wasn't it the non original bracelet strap that impacted the valuation? Had ruby lugs also.

Would feel naked if I left the house without a watch on. And there is enough digital sh*t dominating you life already without having it possess your watch too inspector gadget! (general comment, not aimed at you fryup)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But it's easier with a watch.. I don't need time accurate to tenths of a second.

And physical buttons create muscle memory. I start my stopwatch without even having to look at my wrist, compared to taking out phone, unlocking it, clicking the time, clicking the stopwatch, and pressing start.
    The point is that cheap electronics can easily beat the most expensive mechanical chronometer. In the past you needed to spend the a lot to get that performance. A stock phrase from old military or heist films was "synchronise watches"

The design of a user interface is a dark art indeed and woe betide anyone who change it without good reason and having the users permission first:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Yes I always wear a watch. I own 10 watches, 2 fancy fairly expensive watches that herself bought me for milestone wedding anniversaries that I wear on special occasions and an actual pocket watch that has yet to be worn
    I also have a selection of cheap Spanish market digital watches which I love but they only last a few years
    And a FitBit also a present that I'm not really gone on but wear it sometimes
    And my Dad's Gold Seiko watch he got for his retirement that I'll never wear

I also have a D&G watch worth about 250 Euros that my daughter won in a raffle and gave to me but it is absolutely horrible and I'll never wear it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

My watch is about 40 years old. My dad wore it and gave it to be on my 21st birthday. He died a few years after that. It never comes off my wrist except for a yearly battery change.

If that makes me a showoff, ponce or a ladyman well then so be it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Currently wearing an 18k Omega Constellation from 1956. A beauty.

My watch is about 40 years old. My dad wore it and gave it to be on my 21st birthday. He died a few years after that. It never comes off my wrist except for a yearly battery change.

If that makes me a showoff, ponce or a ladyman well then so be it! :rolleyes:

Firstly, anyone who has an issue with people with nice watches are total clowns, probably jealous, and definitely unhappy.

Secondly, it's a quartz. :p

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Currently wearing an 18k Omega Constellation from 1956. A beauty.

ooooooooOOOOOOOOOO
    showoff
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Firstly, anyone who has an issue with people with nice watches are total clowns, probably jealous, and definitely unhappy.

Secondly, it's a quartz. :p

I wouldn't care if it was a wind up watch that came from a box of cornflakes.

ooooooooOOOOOOOOOO
    showoff
    ;)

I can admit I do get some pleasure telling people I'm wearing a 65 year old 18 carat gold luxury watch... haha.
    I wouldn't care if it was a wind up watch that came from a box of cornflakes.

I know. I was kidding. Glad you have a watch you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

GPS , internet, time signals on LW and other broadcasts ...

GPS satellites are 20,000km up, so the furtherest away you can see one is less than 30,000Km.

Light travels at 300,000Km/s so once you pick up ANY GPS signal you have time accurate to +/- a tenth of a second.

As long as you are on planet Earth and your signal isn't being faked.

And when we have a power failure? No electric. Flat batteries. The shear panic some people have when their phone needs charging always amuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

20 year old steel Cartier Tank Solo. I've worn it every day and I love the simplicity and classic design. Probably the cheapest expensive watch around. I can't seem to upload a photo of mine - but this is the model:

Tank-Solo-in-Steel-%E2%80%93-Large-Model-%E2%80%93-Men%E2%80%99s-Watch-%E2%80%93-WSTA0028-Marshall-Pierce-Company-Chicago-Authorized-Dealer.jpg

Trivia question - On a watch with Roman Numerals, why is 4 o'clock IIII instead of IV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Ooooooooooooh what en edgy opinion

Advertisement