Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rainfall (Orange) Warning for Kerry, Cork, Tipp & Waterford - Tues 23 Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

All awake since around 5am with the high winds and rain battering off the roof and windows. High whistles and the entire house has been creaking and knocking. Rain stopped a while ago. Was not expecting such strong gusts.

Carlow side Mt Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

94kmh at Sherkin and I see Valentia had 6mm in an hour earlier, a rather wild night and morning with another 30-50mm to come for some.

MÉ do issue warnings based on the impact rather than just the numerical values and explain as much on their website.
    I think that, while the current warnings are generally accurate (more or less), the issuing of warnings by county could be changed, especially in cases of storms where coastal flooding would be the main issue.

They say it but the criteria then is based on values, compare it to the UK Met Office impact system, much different altogether. Hopefully the flood warning system here gets going soon. Always amazes me how many people comment after floods saying "they only had a yellow warning" yet the river next to them was already out before that warning was even issued!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Would I be right in saying the rain bands are not as aligned as expected with the warning counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

0.9mm of Rain here in meath, but fairly windy, hopefully we continue to miss the rain that was forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Would I be right in saying the rain bands are not as aligned as expected with the warning counties?

I reckon so, my location (SW Laois) was supposed to get close to 20mm overnight, but only some light showers. Seems to be further keeping further West than forecast?

Haven't seen the data, but we don't seem to have gotten as much rain as was forecast overnight here in Cork. The wind has been the major issue.

28mm at Valentia and 24.2mm at Cork Airport up to 6am and another 20mm to 40mm to come today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Wild enough night here and still ongoing. No numbers or science but the bins are over, 16 yr old sleepy due to not sleeping and can't hear the TV on 12 so turned it up to 18.

Abbeyfeale 860ft needing my own station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A wave appears to be taking heaviest rainfalls to Connacht and west Ulster this morning, and the flow to the south of Munster now appears relatively dry (for a while), heavier rain may return later today there but you could get a bit of a reprieve this morning in some parts of west Munster. Expect rapid rises in stream levels in some parts of Connacht this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Up all night and its still has not peaked here, the winds are at their strongest now.

Much worse than I was expecting up here.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

Cork city it was supposed to be 40km/ph with gusts.... but winds been howling all night.

Is it just me or have we had a lot of storms the last couple months? Seems every
    week we get a storm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Jizique

A wave appears to be taking heaviest rainfalls to Connacht and west Ulster this morning, and the flow to the south of Munster now appears relatively dry (for a while), heavier rain may return later today there but you could get a bit of a reprieve this morning in some parts of west Munster. Expect rapid rises in stream levels in some parts of Connacht this morning.

Looking at the met.ie chart, the counties of the west and north should take an action against whoever was responsible for the forecast.
    It’s a lovely morning in Dublin, so much for the scare-mongering yellow warning.
    There has barely been a day since Christmas when there hasn’t been a warning of one kind or another - can’t wait for spring and we get the pollen and UV warnings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jizique wrote: »
    It’s a lovely morning in Dublin....

Are you under the covers in bed? In my part of Dublin it's blowing a gale with heavy rain on and off.

Also bear in mind we are 8 hours into a 24 hour day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Strong gusts in South Wicklow all through the night with some calm spells, bit of a reprieve here at the minute it seems but the strongest winds are to hit here from 12-2 according to Met Eireann. Not a huge amount of rain here overnight, I've no measurements but as of now at least Friday/Saturday last was worse in this part of the country.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Are you under the covers in bed? In my part of Dublin it's blowing a gale with heavy rain on and off.

Also bear in mind we are 8 hours into a 24 hour day!

It’s blowy but there wasn’t much rain overnight, shower for 20 mins around 6.15 but not too bad given the biblical warnings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It’s blowy but there wasn’t much rain overnight, shower for 20 mins around 6.15 but not too bad given the biblical warnings.

The biblical warnings do not apply to Dublin.

There is a yellow wind and rain warning for Dublin which is far from biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Windy start in cork city, woken up multiple times, really hitting the house coming from the south. Not too much rain yet, which I'm hoping was forecast wrong for all the businesses sake... Definitely windy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looking at the met.ie chart, the counties of the west and north should take an action against whoever was responsible for the forecast.
    It’s a lovely morning in Dublin, so much for the scare-mongering yellow warning.
    There has barely been a day since Christmas when there hasn’t been a warning of one kind or another - can’t wait for spring and we get the pollen and UV warnings.

What an absolutely ridiculous post. Please expand on the bit in bold. How would that work exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

A poster yesterday said that the West would get a lot of the heavy rain how right he was it's been lashing here all night and more to come looking at the radar, the South looks like it did not get the pasting they were expecting . Don't you just love ME warnings the ESB caused the flooding there

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The biblical warnings do not apply to Dublin.

There is a yellow wind and rain warning for Dublin which is far from biblical.

It is a blowy showery day, no warning needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Much less rain in Cobh than expected. 6mm so far this morning, 13mm since last night. It seems to be drifting to the north of us for the time being.

Max gust here of 47.9kmh but I know that is underreporting as my weather station isn't properly sited for wind yet. Roches Point 102kmh gust so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just a soaking night and morning in the West. Mostly light rain here after 10am.

There appears to be another pulse of heavy rain heading to the South

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/floodingireland/status/1364117833601400835?s=19

The problem might be once the rivers in the west fill up and start heading towards city, ESB has turned down the release of water though which is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

There's enough gust there to lift garden umbrellas and take clothes off a clothes line I think. I appreciated the yellow warning.

Have you read what the warnings actually mean?

Yellow = Not unusual weather. Localised danger.

It's simply a 'heads up' of poor weather. Will not inconvenience most, but if doing outdoor work/activities, take heed. It's far from biblical!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Power is gone in D15. Very windy last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Wind is and has been ripping here since about 8pm last night. Gusts are unreal, so I can only imagine what it’s like by the coasts.
    High up on the north KK/ south Laois hills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Very heavy wind and rain in North Cork the last hour and a half I've been up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wild, heavy rain in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ongarite wrote: »
    Power is gone in D15. Very windy last hour.

3600 customers due to Macetown substation fault. Another hour they say.

Advertisement