Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Invincible - Amazon - Superhero Animated Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Surprised they didn't deal with the parasites from Mars but I guess we only know of one that made it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All caught up and really liking this. Of Amazon's two superhero shows I think this has been a better, more engaging experience. No less cynical than The Boys but less trashy. These off brand heroes work well when their inspiration is pretty clear. Not just the obvious like OmniMan as stand in for Superman, but others like Darkblood being to me a clear spin on Hellboy (mixed with a little Constantine?). While some of the original characters are great (like the clone twins or Machine Head). The voice cast is absolutely insane, both top tier and fantastic genre actors like Mark Hamill or Michael Dorn

Anyway, to the ongoing plot; I like how the earth defence guy suspects foul play and is playing it coy. Makes a great change to these kind of figures flailing in the dark, the scripts struggling to maintain the believability of their ignorance. Nope. Cecil knows the truth, he just can't prove it yet. I don't trust the guy but he's a tactician, and I suspect he'll play his hand eventually.

As to theories? My own would be
    Omni basically murdered the justice league as a test to see if they were ready for worthiness. IIRC from episode one, Omni said his race act to lift other races up; or something like that. So he put his team to what he saw as the ultimate test: a fight against a Kryptonite. To what end I couldn't guess so far; probably nothing charitable anyway. Maybe induct them into his races warrior caste or some such. His love for his wife and son seem genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't deal with the parasites from Mars but I guess we only know of one that made it back.

There's a lot of side story that we won't see again until next season I say.

Outside of the Invincible/Omni-Man story we have:
    Alan the Alien
    Robot releasing/watching the mauler twins
    Cecil testing Invincibles Blood
    Robot taking Rex's Blood sample
    Titan becoming a Mob boss
    Whatever returned posing as the 4th Astronaut
    The real 4th Astronaut with the parasite who was left on Mars
    Egyptian Mummy resurrection

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: Wow, that was an expertly crafted episode! I was still guessing right until
    Isotope called Titan the new Boss.

Guessing there's going to be a lot more complex history between Omni-Man and the GDA behind why Omni-Man is doing what he does and why it looks like he's doing so much behind the scenes.

Also who is
    this guy who beat all the heroes to bits?!?!
    :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

shawki wrote: »
    There's a lot of side story that we won't see again until next season I say.

Outside of the Invincible/Omni-Man story we have:
    Alan the Alien
    Robot releasing/watching the mauler twins
    Cecil testing Invincibles Blood
    Robot taking Rex's Blood sample
    Titan becoming a Mob boss
    Whatever returned posing as the 4th Astronaut
    The real 4th Astronaut with the parasite who was left on Mars
    Egyptian Mummy resurrection

I know nothing of the comic story but I've taken a lot of those - bar the stuff around Robot - as a kind of commentary on comic stories. That these almost cataclysmic events are just another workday in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Really enjoying this series. There's a sense that absolutely anything could happen. Looking forward to how this wraps up.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Another good episode: felt like an interstitial, a check-in on all the plots without moving any of them significantly forward.

My least favourite aspect though has to conflict between the superhero life, and a romantic one: the show doesn't seem to be doing anything new with the idea, and not sure there are any new ideas to have. It's a trope I rarely care for in any case.

6: All credit to this show on making me apprehensive about the post-credits scenes..
    but phew! no ultraviolence against the heroes or their families this time

As that fight
    with the first cyborg and leter the three cyborgs was happening, the idea that they were doing really well did jump out and then later Cecil mentioned it.. I get the feeling he's gonna get them or a programme of them setup in the GDA. Might even see the mad science dude again.

Increasingly thinking Omni-man
    might be in some stuck place and was controlled to kill the guardians.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think the reason Omni man killed the Guardians was because he sees them as competition and maybe even a threat to him. In the first first with the twins, whenever he helps out with Darkwing and the other guy, they don't seem too happy with him. They don't say thanks and they look annoyed with him so probably some tension there between Omni man and the Guardians. Also, when he is telling Mark about his home world he says he came to Earth to be its sole protector. I think the use of sole there is very intentional. When Mark tells him about Machine head he says not to bother with it because it is beneath him. I think he sees Viltrumites as being superior to humans and other heroes. He is Earth's sole protector (and I guess he passes the torch to his son) and it should be him who deals with the big threats. Not humans or other heroes. They can deal with the smaller stuff but only he should be dealing with the big threats. So, he killed them because they were taking over his role as Earth's protector.

Also, as someone mentioned above, he is possibly there to conquer Earth. The Guardians were able to put up a good fight against him. If he didn't have the medical help afterwards, maybe he could have died. If the Guardians were teamed up with every other hero on the planet, could they have killed him? Maybe. He killed them now so when he starts to conquer the Earth, the most powerful heroes will already be gone and it will make his job much easier.

Any ways, great show. A friend got me on to it Thursday evening and I've watched all 6 episodes since then. Pity there are only 2 more episodes this season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Slydice wrote: »
    6: All credit to this show on making me apprehensive about the post-credits scenes..
    but phew! no ultraviolence against the heroes or their families this time

As that fight
    with the first cyborg and leter the three cyborgs was happening, the idea that they were doing really well did jump out and then later Cecil mentioned it.. I get the feeling he's gonna get them or a programme of them setup in the GDA. Might even see the mad science dude again.

Increasingly thinking Omni-man
    might be in some stuck place and was controlled to kill the guardians.

Cecil was definitely thinking he could use that technology to kill Omni man. I imagine he will put that guy to work instead of locking him up and throwing away the key.

• Advertisement

Cecil was definitely thinking he could use that technology to kill Omni man. I imagine he will put that guy to work instead of locking him up and throwing away the key.

Cecil feels like a character that could go either way. He definitely seems blunt and honest - insofar as someone so blatantly, morally flexible can be. That he genuinely wants to keep earth safe, so I could see him weaponising some supervillain tech to do just that. But he also gives off a sense of rigid morality too, however grubby.

Also, while not ostensibly powerful as such, gotta feel jealousy towards Atom Eve's powers. Creation outta nothing; she could destroy a nation in a moment by creating cash outta thin air :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well that was another explosive episode

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Immortal's living up to his name as much as Invincible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I've been watching it from the start and must admit, I'm very much enjoying it....I must have read about it, or seen a comic previously because some of the events I knew were coming.
    But....I can't understand how they get away with copywrite infringement...I mean.....he killed the bloody Justice League :D

the same way The Watchmen got away with

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another cracking episode this week.
    This show is terrific.

My only criticism, the Amber character is a pointless nag, really poorly written.

Now that episode was how you fight Superman. Spectacular stuff, and never once entirely superficial; it all served a purpose, all came together for the story perfectly. There's a very strong argument as to why Superhero stories work best animated. And props to whoever it was speculated Cecil would use the mad scientist's cyborgs. I think Cecil might be my favourite character because he's exactly the kind of bàstard we'd need on our side as a tactician for Worst Case Scenarios - he certainly makes Batman look like a chump when it comes to failsafes.

Kryptonite spears? Pffh, orbital lasers and juiced up Kaiju, or go home Wayne :D

"400 billion dollars for the world's most expensive nosebleed" lol, love it.

I'm sticking to my original theory about Omni Man, bolstered by his comment the Justice League were "weak". And someone stick Immortal back together again, he surely can't be down completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Brilliant.

Best new TV show in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wow, what an episode. Had me on the edge of my seat.
    I was starting to really warm to Donald. He went out like a champ.

I like how they did a different take on the whole 'hero reveals identity' angle with Amber having already figured it out.

Also appreciate how Cecil doesn't feel like a cliche villain. He's got his own interests but isn't one-dimensional in how he follows them.

They've set this up beautifully for next week's finale.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

7: That was epic! I swear I was on the edge of my seat waiting for a post credits scene but none came!
    The Akira satellite!
    Brilliant!

• Advertisement

Wow, what an episode. Had me on the edge of my seat.
    I was starting to really warm to Donald. He went out like a champ.

I like how they did a different take on the whole 'hero reveals identity' angle with Amber having already figured it out.

Also appreciate how Cecil doesn't feel like a cliche villain. He's got his own interests but isn't one-dimensional in how he follows them.

They've set this up beautifully for next week's finale.

It's a mark of a strong show that two people can look at the same character and see completely different perspectives. I don't see him as a villain at all. Not a good person, and he himself is aware he's a necessary evil, but not a villain either.

Question: is he superpowered, or just wears tech? I was a bit confused as it had previously thought he was naturally powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was a great episode. Agree about Amber - doesn't add anything to the show.

Really looking forward to the finale next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

Very much enjoying this ...and Im not really a superhero guy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Renewed for another 2 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A finale of two halves I think. It kinda fizzled out. :)

I think it needed a big sucker punch at the end.

still a fantastic season over all

tempted to try the comic now

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Skerries wrote: »
    still a fantastic season over all

tempted to try the comic now

The comic is great, 144 issues with a solid ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've come to the conclusion that I think Omni Man is a bit of a d!ck.

Thought there would be a mid credits scene, but then I guess we got all those scenes before the credits.

Found it funny they didn't even know which one Eve was even though the only difference is she wears pink and looks nothing like Kate. Of course, Rex made the same mistake getting them mixed up. :)

Looking forward to next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jesus that last episode!
    Fantastic stuff, just not possible to do the insane things in this series as live action. The first half especially wow
    Omni man becoming an insane psycho version of thanos, referring to his wife like she was like a pet Christ!
    So many places for it to go.
    Delighted to see it is renewed for season 2 and 3!

Ok one question I have
    did they purposefully not do anything with the duplicating aliens story, or the evil mummy?!? Or did I miss them going anywhere? I am guessing they will pop up again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement