Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads Up on 23ft/24ft Boat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cionn wrote: »
    If you can stretch to 28FT, this is a great boat, I sailed these for about 10 years and the Impala is a great little boat, offering headroom, coastal sailing and racing for not too much dollar. This one has had a lot of love over the last few years
    https://www.hyc.ie/buy-and-sell/945-impala-28-wild-mustard

No furling headsail, that alone would knock it off any short-handed cruising boat list. Buying and installing a new one (with a sail to match) would be a costly affair too. Nice boats, but very much on the racer end of the cruiser-racer spectrum.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tabnabs wrote: »
    No furling headsail, that alone would knock it off any short-handed cruising boat list.

My existing boat does not have furling headsail, so when solo, pretty much have to decide what sail to use before leaving mooring/harbour and that's it until you get back! Can be a pain in a**e when you have jib up, wind falls light and you want genoa (or vice versa).

Furling headsail definitely on the requirement list!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have you seen the Shipman 28 for sale with Leinster boats? Seems cheap and worth a look over. Assume it's still in DL and likely ashore in the National.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have you seen the Shipman 28 for sale with Leinster boats? Seems cheap and worth a look over. Assume it's still in DL and likely ashore in the National.

I did see/looked at that online. Looks like a little bit of a 'project' inside?

The Etap 28 I mentioned above is on the same site....I made some initial enquires about that, however, still slightly worried generally solo sailing 28ft. Well, not so much the actual sailing bit, more the harbour manouvering bit!!!

There are a couple of potential 25/26ft boats in Cork that I am looking into but may be hassle in the current circumstances (going to look/transporting).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We were moored beside her for years!

Had a smart new topsides paint job a couple of years ago.

I've only been on one a couple of times, but the Shipman is a great solid workhorse of a boat (in the best sense!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The Trapper 500 (aka C&C 27) is over 27ft long :P

I single-handed a 23' very well and then stepped up to a 27' boat and sailed in company with a single-handed Cobra 850, it's very straightforward once you leave the pontoon and have a tiller pilot to assist. I anchored a fair bit too.

But having also sailed on a Ruffian out of the inner harbour in DL, I would want to be confident in my abilities (and with a low freeboard) to be alone when using a mooring in congested waters.

But a marina berth gives the scope for single-handing up to 32ft quite easily.

The Trapper model number I quoted is incorrect – there are smaller ones, e.g. 300, 240.

I sail solo for 99% of my outings. It’s to get afloat, I have no requirement to overnight or cruise, so waterline length (speed/space) is not a consideration. I sail off my mooring but to pick it up I use the engine as I must beat up a narrow, crowded inlet due to prevailing winds. I’ve not found retrieval an issue as I leave a longish painter on the dinghy so I’ve plenty to grab. My big issue in sailing solo is reefing – in recent years where I sail the weather has changed considerably, it’s easy to go out in a F2/3 in the morning but by afternoon – particularly with a convection effect - it can be F4+ and F5+ in gusts and very hard work. It’s easy to use a rollerfurl headsail but climbing around the cabintop to reef the main is not pleasant without an autohelm. In a small yacht the main can be left down the track temporarily to close the slot but on bigger boats that ‘de-powering’ is much more work due to a larger main.

Obviously age and personal fitness play a key role in what size boat one can manage ‘solo’ but I sail for fun, not for a work-out.

Have tracked down a decent looking and spec'd Hunter Horizon 23 in NI. Will be taking a trip....one of these days....to have a look. Boat only has a yard trailer.

Next question would be can anybody recommend a good transport company to get a ballpark cost for transport?

https://www.kennedyhaulage.ie/ no connection, a previous happy customer.

https://www.kennedyhaulage.ie/ no connection, a previous happy customer.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Could you sail her down and get someone to tow the trailer back to dublin for you

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Could you sail her down and get someone to tow the trailer back to dublin for you

It's on Lough Neagh so chances are slim! :)

Not convinced yet by it....still thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Etap 23 popped up on donedeal a couple of days ago - €5,500 - looks like it might need a bit of a tidy up but the sellers 'ONO' comment suggests a bit of haggle room on the price.

(I might have a look myself as soon as travel restricitons ease. I was gonna by one about 6 years ago but life got in the way so I never got round to it. Maybe this time!!)

alfa beta wrote: »
    Etap 23 popped up on donedeal a couple of days ago - €5,500 - looks like it might need a bit of a tidy up but the sellers 'ONO' comment suggests a bit of haggle room on the price.

Thanks, I saw that. Not overly enthusiastic about the interior (layout and condition).

There are a couple of 22ft and 23ft boats for sale in my own club, an Etap 23, a Leisure 23 and a Hurley 22, but, they are what I would call, 'project boats'! They all need a bit of work, which I am just not interested in!

I have a Hunter Europa 19 at the moment, and I think I have come to the conclusion it's a (bigger) Hunter I am looking for!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/886076181484412/permalink/3732682830157052/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity

This just appeared in a FB sailing/cruising group.

I know nothing about the make, and it may be too big for you, but just said I'd let you know anyhow!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/886076181484412/permalink/3732682830157052/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity

This just appeared in a FB sailing/cruising group.

I know nothing about the make, and it may be too big for you, but just said I'd let you know anyhow!

Private FB group.

Private FB group.

Oh..... I'll see if I can C&P.....

Anyway, it's an Achilles 9m, on the hard in Howth, €10k
    Achilles 9 Metre for sale. On the hard in Howth. These are solid fast cruisers from the mid 1970’s. Here is a simple introduction from YM. https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/.../yacht.../achilles-9m
    Fitted with inboard diesel, stack pack for the mainsail, recent new rigging. Send me a PM for more details.

Email contact for that achilles in the link below

https://hyc.ie/buy-and-sell/950-achilles-9-metre

Not sure if your still looking but this ad poped up on the HYC website. Its not very detailed. Hunter TK 27 for sale @ €12k

https://hyc.ie/buy-and-sell/972-hunter-tk-27

neris wrote: »
    Not sure if your still looking but this ad poped up on the HYC website. Its not very detailed. Hunter TK 27 for sale @ €12k

Thanks. TK27 would be a good option.

Still looking, but a little slower now! Ended up buying a new house and will be moving next month, so that has taken focus off the boat search a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If you are still looking, I'm planning on putting my Mk3 Corribee up for sale. Needs work (engine, trailer, general tidy up) but will be going up at a needs-to-go price.

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    If you are still looking, I'm planning on putting my Mk3 Corribee up for sale. Needs work (engine, trailer, general tidy up) but will be going up at a needs-to-go price.

Is that 21ft? Probably looking for a little bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

noby wrote: »

I thought you were trying to flog the OP a Corby, for a moment!
    I was wondering about the suitability of such a boat for the OP.

No connection, but came across this advert and this looks like an honest little boat, in good condition for her age, and can likely be had for a few quid less. https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/trapper-ts240-for-sale/662092

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

There’s a GK24 for sale in Malahide. Know it well - it was raced regularly in Malahide about 15yrs ago. I think it been owned by two Eastern European lads for the past couple of years and they kept it in pretty good nick. Might be a bargain for someone.

One corby i raced on years ago as 20 something id now buy as a 40 something. Though she was slightly bigger
    I thought you were trying to flog the OP a Corby, for a moment!
    I was wondering about the suitability of such a boat for the OP.

Don't know if you're still looking, but this has turned up and looks to be a bit of a bargain. First class sea boats, lying in Dublin, new(ish) engine and lots of updates. The only negative I can think of is the poor headroom in the cabin. If she surveys well, it's a fantastic boat.

https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/sadler-25-for-sale/665904

Thanks Tabnabs. Nice boat and a Sadler 25 would deffo be on the list. Might keep a close eye on that one.

Lost focus on the boat search due to moving house (tomorrow....to Greystones....just 100m from the marina!).

Once the move is done, will be on the search.

So....Just to conclude this thread....ended up buying that and taking possession today!

As Tabnabs stated above, not great headroom or great layout below, but sufficient. After a test sail, feels like a great sea boat and has a decent inventory.

I am now officially the owner of two boats! Other now on the market. https://www.adverts.ie/boats/hunter-europa-19ft-sailing-boat/24377557

Thanks for all the leads over the last few months.

Well done, she'll give you years of good sailing, enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dwallace707

Advertisement