Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non UK tool supppliers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Deseras

Buy from germany

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes & I think than many don't care as they can offset it against tax.

Perhaps, but I can’t.

Deseras wrote: »
    Buy from germany

Facom 11 in 1 ratcheting spanner set is €92.59 plus delivery from Germany or €109.35 from Caulfield, I probably wouldn’t bother with Germany for that difference as Caulfield will deliver next day and free delivery I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

monkeynuz wrote: »
    No, not ripped off, merely paying the price in the country I’m living.

Vat and overheads are more in Ireland and less demand and competition, yes, I appreciate that prices often appear high but I and other people get over it.

Weird

TimHorton wrote: »
    Weird

What is weird about using a very good company to supply you with products or services?

Sometimes the cost is a secondary factor.

I have the ease and speed of Caulfield industrial in Ireland for only a 10-15% premium over ordering from Germany which could take fourteen days, that suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And it could take three weeks from Amazon, and anyway why would I buy from the uk now?

it's Prime, it'll take 2 or 3 days. And, because it's cheaper?

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's Prime, it'll take 2 or 3 days. And, because it's cheaper?

Prime for me was taking two to three weeks at best so no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Prime for me was taking two to three weeks at best so no thanks.

I have placed 78 orders so far in 2021 from Amazon UK and delivery is now back to 2 or 3 days..

Example

ORDER PLACED
    12 March 2021
    TOTAL
    £59.98
    DISPATCH TO
    Dxxxx Fxxxxxx
    ORDER # 206-11111-333333
    Order Details Invoice
    Arriving tomorrow
    On the way

TimHorton wrote: »
    I have placed 78 orders so far in 2021 from Amazon UK and delivery is now back to 2 or 3 days..

Example

ORDER PLACED
    12 March 2021
    TOTAL
    £59.98
    DISPATCH TO
    Dxxxx Fxxxxxx
    ORDER # 206-11111-333333
    Order Details Invoice
    Arriving tomorrow
    On the way

Good for you, personally I’m perfectly happy supporting Irish business.

I neither need nor wish to use Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Good for you, personally I’m perfectly happy supporting Irish business.

I neither need nor wish to use Amazon.

Amazon employs over 2,500 staff in Ireland, which is about double that of Woodies (for example). Woodies is owned by Grafton Group plc, which was originally Irish but is now listed on the LSE and is more British than Irish.

There are loads of Irish businesses that act at least as scummily as multinationals. I remember researching the ownership of my kids' creche a few years ago. They paid the staff minimum wage, registered as an unlimited company in order to avoid having to publish full financial statements, and moved profits to offshore tax havens to avoid even the very light Irish corp. tax rate (and presumably enable further income and capital gains tax avoidance by the beneficial owners).

It's safe to assume that no company gives a sh!t about you or your consumer nationalism, it's just a marketing wheeze to extract higher profit margins.

Lumen wrote: »
    Amazon employs over 2,500 staff in Ireland, which is about double that of Woodies (for example). Woodies is owned by Grafton Group plc, which was originally Irish but is now listed on the LSE and is more British than Irish.

There are loads of Irish businesses that act at least as scummily as multinationals. I remember researching the ownership of my kids' creche a few years ago. They paid the staff minimum wage, registered as an unlimited company in order to avoid having to publish full financial statements, and moved profits to offshore tax havens to avoid even the very light Irish corp. tax rate (and presumably enable further income and capital gains tax avoidance by the beneficial owners).

It's safe to assume that no company gives a sh!t about you or your consumer nationalism, it's just a marketing wheeze to extract higher profit margins.

Isn’t this rather off topic when the op merely asked for non uk tool suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Isn’t this rather off topic when the op merely asked for non uk tool suppliers?

Possibly, but it was you that introduced "supporting Irish business" as a factor.

Lumen wrote: »
    Possibly, but it was you that introduced "supporting Irish business" as a factor.

Not really, I only said about Irish business after someone suggested it was weird that I would buy in Ireland instead of buying from Amazon.

Not really, I only said about Irish business after someone suggested it was weird that I would buy in Ireland instead of buying from Amazon.

Correction the weird comment was when I said I wasn’t being ripped off, which was in response to their assertion that I am being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hey bitches, can we stop the bitchin' and get back to cheap tools? ;)

dodzy wrote: »
    Hey bitches, can we stop the bitchin' and get back to cheap tools? ;)

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Just ordered stuff from 2 UK suppliers last Tue morning. The first arrived Wed afternoon and the second lunchtime Thursday. There are no import or vat to be charged on B2B transactions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

dok_golf wrote: »
    Just ordered stuff from 2 UK suppliers last Tue morning. The first arrived Wed afternoon and the second lunchtime Thursday. There are no import or vat to be charged on B2B transactions

have you a link to back that up. its the first iv heard of it

Definitely not my experience either.

have you a link to back that up. its the first iv heard of it

Just the invoices from the suppliers. What was on that was all I paid. The only time I was charged vat since Brexit was on items that I didn't put my company name on the docket

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Have you tried Tucks O'Brien or Toolbank as they are known as now, they are wholesalers but you can set up an account and usually get next day delivery.

dok_golf wrote: »

That's not true though at all whatsoever.

No one should take this advice.

You may have circumvented by luck is not the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

listermint wrote: »

Sorry for off-topic post - Lister clear out your PM inbox, can't message you back !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was in Caulfields & they were telling me that there are supply problems with Stanley & DeWalt. The Stanley display was very sparse.

Discodog wrote: »
    I was in Caulfields & they were telling me that there are supply problems with Stanley & DeWalt. The Stanley display was very sparse.

Was looking at the DeWalt chop saw since before Christmas . Seems to be absolutely sparce outside the US.

listermint wrote: »

ya, looks like you're right. There must be very little or no checks going on, because I know most ppl in my sector haven't paid a thing in import/vat on any of their purchases.

"VAT registered UK businesses will continue to zero-rate sales of goods to EU businesses. EU member states will treat goods entering the EU from the UK in the same way as goods entering from other non-EU countries. This means import VAT is due when the goods arrive in the EU."

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention this crowd the other night. They dispatch really quickly and any stuff I've bought over the last couple of years, is still working https://www.iedepot.ie/

Advertisement