Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What non Whiskey or Rum Spirit (Cognac, Mezcal, Calvados etc) are we drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is marc unaged brandy effectively?

Pops up in Maigret stories along with the armagnac and calvados.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I see Con Trass is distilling his cider with Tipperary Boutique Distillery. Look forward to trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Cazale wrote: »
    6 Mezcals in about 50 mins. I'm glad I've no work tomorrow! It was a really great tasting with some amazing samples. I'll have to get a full bottle for the collection.

Did you actually listen to the live tasting stream? The audio quality was atrocious. I couldn't stand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Beersmith wrote:
    Did you actually listen to the live tasting stream? The audio quality was atrocious. I couldn't stand it.

Yeah I do listen to most of them with headphones. Audio with the rep wasn't great but I suppose with the Mexican accent and different time zone that was expected. I was still able to enjoy it and take copious notes. I've done hundreds of video call meetings in work over the last year so maybe I'm just immune to them at this stage.

Enjoying Mount Gay Eclipse golden rum from Barbados... both for sipping and in a dark n stormy.

If you like Havana Club Anejo Especial worth trying out as an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭interlocked

https://symphoniaspirits.com/introducing-symphonias-apple-rum-the-limited-edition-symphonia-no-4/

This stuff is going on sale in Aldi on June 20th @€;35 for 500ml. Made in Tyrone, I'd never heard of them until I saw it in the Aldi brochure.

Anyone sampled it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

https://symphoniaspirits.com/introducing-symphonias-apple-rum-the-limited-edition-symphonia-no-4/

This stuff is going on sale in Aldi on June 20th @€;35 for 500ml. Made in Tyrone, I'd never heard of them until I saw it in the Aldi brochure.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that this is not a legally labelled product. You can't add spices and apple juice to a product and call it "rum". Just like you couldn't have "apple whiskey".
    I looked at that link and couldn't find the abv of this product on the website.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Rum liqueur basically, I think they're being downright dishonest with the labelling.

It seems not that far off 'Zaconey' ... I remember a few threads over the years for people trying to track down the last remaining bottles of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

From EU Regulation on definition of spirit drinks, Reg 2019/787

CATEGORIES OF SPIRIT DRINKS
    1.Rum
    (a)Rum is a spirit drink produced exclusively by the distillation of the product obtained by the alcoholic fermentation of molasses or syrup produced in the manufacture of cane sugar or of sugar-cane juice itself, distilled at less than 96 % vol., so that the distillate has the discernible specific organoleptic characteristics of rum.
    (b)The minimum alcoholic strength by volume of rum shall be 37,5 %.
    (c)No addition of alcohol, diluted or not, shall take place.
    (d)Rum shall not be flavoured.
    (e)Rum may only contain added caramel as a means of adjusting the colour.
    (f)Rum may be sweetened in order to round off the final taste. However, the final product may not contain more than 20 grams of sweetening products per litre, expressed as invert sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Are they anything to do with Íon, who seemed to have gone all quiet last time I was checking them out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Are they anything to do with Íon, who seemed to have gone all quiet last time I was checking them out?
    Other than sharing a county, no, it doesn't look like it.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Rum liqueur basically, I think they're being downright dishonest with the labelling.

It's more than misleading, it's actually illegal as I understand it.

Problem is that, in Ireland, unless it's whiskey, no one really cares about label compliance. Anything labelled as "spiced rum" is not compliant, either. There's loads of gin liqueurs labelled as "gin" about the place, too.
    There was a very big selling gin which up until fairly recently was labelled as Distilled and Bottled by........, when the reality was that it was a compounded gin and wasn't distilled at all!! I believe they have cleared up that issue, now.

There was a very big selling gin which up until fairly recently was labelled as Distilled and Bottled by........, when the reality was that it was a compounded gin and wasn't distilled at all!! I believe they have cleared up that issue, now.

I had to look up what a compound gin is. Seems I've made a bunch of them myself down through the years.

I guess I'm a distiller now too. :D

Has anyone here visited anywhere in the Armagnac region? Looking for a nice distillery or two to visit.

Was hoping to head to Cognac from Bordeaux, but it's the opposite direction to my final destination. Armagnac is only a short detour of about an extra hours drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I haven't seen it for awhile now

Any news? Is it sold out? will it becoming out again or?

As I often find with French websites, they aren't very informative. Hoping to swing a visit to one place on a Sunday, via a contact I have here in Dublin.

I also want to visit a cooperage while there. My other half tried to suggest we find one closer to where we are going in the South. She's forgetting that we had this discussion the last time we drove, and that there aren't any cooperages in the south 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Happened to be in aldi in Tyrrelstown last week and there was a last bottle there which I happily grabbed, you might be lucky somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I finally opened the bottle of Stillgarden O'Maro ("Ireland's first amaro") that we've had knocking around.

It is actually quite nice, and the native botanical element comes through very strongly. I enjoyed it on that level and could recommend it as a gift, for example.

But for me it's just far too sweet. In fairness, reviewing their copy, although they bill it as something you could use to make a negroni they also do extensively mention a "sweet finish", so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anybody try the Sake from Aldi?

Gonna try out a recent purchase shortly - G&T. But the T is for tea!

Blackwater Gin with Barry's Tea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Having done Bsrry's Tea gin and Tanora gin, believe me, the Tayto c&o idea has been knocking around for a while now!

Had it. Bleh, just tasted like usual gin, which I'm not a huge fan of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

In Italy recently I was in a small café in a village in the mountains and they had some nice spirits. I'm not familiar with rum at all but i had some Zapaca Solera 23 and my god it was lovely. Picked up a bottle in the local shop to take home as well for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Drinker in I drank a drink I don't like and didn't enjoy it shocker.

• Advertisement

Thought the tea would make a difference though as I love tea flavoured things.

Advertisement