Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What non Whiskey or Rum Spirit (Cognac, Mezcal, Calvados etc) are we drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Trying out the rest of the plantation range starting with this.

It's woody,coconut,vanilla with some nice spices

Surprisingly long finish on this for the price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm a big fan of that range.

The 5 yo is the first I fried and a firm favourite.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had to buy some sherry for a sauce today, as there was no marsala in the supermarket. Tio Pepe.

Its really quite pleasant to drink.

I think I'm getting old!

It was a shock to me some years ago to find that not only did I care for the somewhat trendy dry sherries, I actually much rather sweet sherry!

Of course, this conversation should be in the wine thread!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I dithered over whether this was for the wine thread, or here due to the fortification, for longer than I reasonably should have!

• Advertisement

Lol, I've given it way too much thought, too!

Technically sherry is wine but a fortified wine rather than a light wine - which is what people generally mean when they say "wine".

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

is white port the same thing as Jerez-Xeres-Sherry? I've recently tried Tesco Finest one and it was absolutely atrocious :(

So I'm just wondering if it's just not my thing or it's still worth to try proper white port (e.g. Niepoort one Dry White)?

No, sherry and port come from different countries!

I really like white port. Sip on it's own, mix with tonic. It's really lovely with apple juice to - and maybe some fizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

White port is lovely on it's own, or mixed with tonic.

I think some people open a port or sherry, drink a bit, and put it back in the press for ages. Then it just doesn't taste good whenever they go back to it. Which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

btw tried both Tawny Dee and Dry White by Niepoort and both are absolutely fabulous, my new favorites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Herself just poured a glass of Hennessy XO. My my that was some purchase for 70 quid last February.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cachaca artesenal duXico.

A Brazilian friend brought it back to me.

No idea what this is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

That's still on the shelf unopened. I got the last bottle of it in my local Tesco. To be opened soon I think.

I revisited my Killowen small batch dark rum, having recent finished my Appleton 12 year old.

I'm still picking up strong vegetal and tobacco notes off this, but I don't really mean that in a negative way, it's quite appealing... Like opening a fresh pouch of Sweet Afton tobacco, back when I smoked.

Previously I compared this unfavourably with the Diplomatico, Cacique and Appleton that I would normally drink, but I think as time has passed I feel more favourably disposed. It's a drier, earthier rum, and that in itself will appeal to many people (perhaps particularly whisky drinkers).

The higher 55% abv is also very welcome.

In conclusion, if I was the type to give stars I would boost it up a star or two on my second review, and it would make me consider a second bottle, perhaps of their peated variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

From Aldi

Quite nice, a little too sweet but that seems to be a thing with Aldi and Lidl

This thread is getting all mixed up.

Firstly, Rum in a "Non whiskey or rum spirit" thread.

Then wine!😀

My bad, I should have resurrected the rum thread I guess. I saw Limnams post above and wasn’t thinking.

Three hail marys and an our father.

I missed this post. Have you tried it, yet?

As I'm sure you know, Cachaca is rather similar to cane juice rum but they tend to use a much wider selection of woods for ageing. Could be very interesting.

No, haven't opened it yet, I'll throw up a review when I do.

There's very little information on the label about production / manufacturing, I guess the regulation must be a lot lighter in Brazil.

• Advertisement

I find this hard to understand!

Any bottle of spirits that I haven't tried before, get opened and tasted the minute it gets inside the house - if not before 😜

I just don't equate tasting with "drinking", so, if I bought a bottle on a Tuesday morning, I'd taste it on Tuesday morning - just a sip.

But then, I have virtually no patience, at all.

I don’t tend to have more than 1 rum and maybe 3 whiskies open at one time, maybe it’s a bit of an OCD thing.

Another one from Brazil. This one is meant to be more premium.

Get into them and report back!

Reposado margaritas and Mezcal margaritas.

Montelobos are the dog’s bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For some time I've been interested in trying Ouzo again, and Lidl is carrying their own brand Korifeos at the moment. The label says it's "mild", and I concur, it's not an anise bomb like one I remembered. Nor it is oily, as I've heard said about Ouzo. One serving suggestion is with orange juice, I think it will pair well with lemonade too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If going sweet then you need to go all the way to PX without stopping at the intermediate ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think you’ll get that from the “artesenal” part! (As opposed to industrial.) Good to see that it’s yellow as Jacutinga is also an ore for gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Having read over this thread late last week, I was surprised by the chat about the Aldi Salvado rum. We had a bottle here that I got to make Mai Tais with last year, there was about 150ml left in the bottle, so I poured two 60ml measures for me and the mrs last night, had it with some Fentimans Ginger Beer, really nice.

Finished off the bottle then, just drank it neat. Really pleasantly surprised with it. Smooth enough to drink neat, and a nice spiciness on the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Advertisement