Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV programmes that have run their course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Me too, though it literally HAS run its course. They can only pretend to be teenagers for so long. They've finished up a year or two back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Accidentally saw a bit of an episode recently and was appalled. I was 8 when it first came out and Ena Sharples was the woman we all hated, and Albert Tatlock was everyone's favourite uncle, Elsie Tanner was the flaunty one that all the women hated. But its real attraction was that it featured 'real' people, not the typical home counties received pronunciation types we'd had up till then, and it was set on the mean streets of a major northern city. (I was living in Birmingham at the time, Brummie accents were rare enough on BBC or ITV then). I stopped watching it years ago when Percy left (1980-something), I felt it was becoming jaded. Actually the actor who played Percy said he was leaving because he didn't like the direction the show was taking. In the beginning it was about real people and the real everyday problems they (and we) faced. But like every thing, they decided that real life was wasn't exciting enough. If I lived on Coronation St, I'd bloody well move. 50 odd years ago I'd have said "hey, they're my neighbours!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Inbetweeners stopped at 3 series, when the actors were between 23 and 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The appeal of googlebox is ordinary people watching TV how they react, are they funny, are they puzzled or confused, you either like are you don't. Sometimes it's strange , does Jonathan Ross really watch TV every night with 4 of his relations on a big bed? That's weird. And there's a good range of people on it, some posh, some working class, black, Indian . Its like dating shows, if you don't like the people on it it's pointless. I used to watch American idol just to watch people who were awful singers getting criticised or failing, to get thru to the next round. I don't watch the voice to see an average singer is like 1000 other singers on various tv shows . You can tell alot by someone by what tv shows they like

That's what's happened to alot of soaps they start off being realistic then all of a sudden one bloke is having affairs with 3 of his neighbours to improve the ratings and it just becomes unbelievable how many fires or disasters have happened in emmerdale or random plane crashes into a local house

I think eastenders was quite good when it started in the 80s in that it seemed to be a realistic account of life in a working class part of London with a wide range of characters I have no idea what's its like now

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Only seen it a few times if any relatives were about. Remember some youngster on the show ran away to Birmingham. He was brought back. The line said a few times to the youngster 'why did you run away to Birmingham for?' It cracked me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Still has to be Operation Transformation for me.

It's on Television since 2008 and every year it seems to be the same old thing.

People wobble out in there underwear basically.

There given these fairly boring DIET plans. I say diet because its essentially a fairly restrictive diet and would be hard to maintain in the long term and God forbid you go off it.

Somebdy doesn't follow the diet plan and they get yelled and then they all have a cry next week and are friends again.

They'll probably try and scare people with how man spoons of sugar is in a can of coke/etc and karen on Twitter will be amazed with a well known fact.

Karl and his water bottle exercise and he can often look fairly washed out himself and he can get grumpy as well.

Then there's Dr Eddie the psychologist who basically makes people cry.

They even brought in the Army to yell at people.

I don't think the program has had much of a succes rate as in getting people to change their lifestyle in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

It's a soap opera - it doesn't require a particular anything and especially doesn't have to be believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If I recall correctly, they didn't do the 'let's humiliate them in their underwear' thing in the early years - obviously a bit of visual clickbait to attracts the ghouls who enjoy that kind of thing.

It depends. Coronation Street and most British soaps were built on being realistic and relatable to audiences. Coronation Street used to blend the drama with comedy too, which kept the audience for decades.

It's just not the same thing anymore and the TV market has become much more fragmented too with moves to streaming now very much where TV is. In 2000 coronation Street could command between 10m and 20m viewers per episode these days it's down to 4m to 7m and it's shrinking. It's headed to a situation where broadcast TV shows like that aren't really capable of capturing massive audience anymore and I suspect that will reduce the UK soaps to a much smaller scale of production, which in turn will shrink the audiences.

The other issue is the source of actors. The majority of northern soap and also comedy actors (Last of the Summer Wine etc) tended to come up through community theatre, local theatre, panto etc and make breaks into TV through Granada and Yorkshire TV. Nowadays they're all stage school types, with a much more national focus, so the quirky, distinctly Northern and even EastEnders character actors are increasingly hard to find. They're all too polished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,526 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

rating numbers are down all-round. Corrie is still getting numbers that put 7 episodes in the top 20 shows for christmas week.

I'm noticing OT is increasingly being criticized on Twitter, as being about bullying and body shaming. There's a bit of a backlash against it as the entire show seems to be about motivation by humiliation. I'm not sure that's really as acceptable these days. There's a lot more sensitivity about those topics than there was in 2008.

And at the same time the few who do get through seem to exaggerate their northern-ness or wherever they're from.

Watching The World at War recently and seeing the Thames logo and it kinda makes me sad about all the small-mid sized companies that are gone now. Everything is national or more (internet crap) and it's a great point you raise that's also contributing to the homogenisation of stuff everywhere.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but it's still looking at a peak audience that's not even approaching a slow episode's audience back at it's last peak in the early 2000s. That ultimately means production budgets shrink. ITV itself isn't really where it could be. It always strikes me as struggling to retain audiences in a market that's totally changed. I'm not sure that the ditching of regional identities and centralising of production did them any favours either. The regional identities of ITV affiliates was a huge part of the way viewers felt attached to them. It's just bland and corporate these days. I think it was a huge mistake to even allow one company to merge that network into a bit monolithic entity. It also limited the access to regional production, as smaller shows often got national air time, produced on smaller stations and that's often how people got their break into tv. I could see ITV really sliding in the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

This, the Simpsons for the first 10 seasons or so used to be a fairly realistic show resembling real life and was filled with witty and intelligent humour, now the show is just pathetic most adults wouldn't watch it.

Fair enough though after season 10 or so all the original writers had gone so it was the same show but completely different people making it which kind of makes it a different show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Anything on RTE ..needs a major overhaul in radio and TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,528 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ITV is just one of the many things Maggie Thatcher destroyed in the name of short term greed.

Scrap the cap!

Both the BBC and Channel 4 have done a good job with regionalisation over the years, moving some of the former's programming and the latter's national HQ to Salford and Leeds respectively.

• Advertisement

While it's better than nothing it's still no substitute for genuine regional development and production.

Ratings for most programs have gone down , unless it's something like the world Cup, I think theres plenty of good programs on rte 1 radio just because a program is 10 plus years old does not mean its out of date. Thatcher wiped away local itv networks which means there's bland middle of the road programs instead of programs that had some connection with a certain part of Britain. We have so many options with Netflix or 100s of cable TV channels . The BBC still makes good documentarys on many subjects arts, history music which commercial channels would not make . It, ll get worse channel 4 UK is getting sold off, it comes up with many original programs with a focus on minoritys and diverse range of content imagine if it's owned by Disney or some other USA corporation it, ll probably be full of cheap reality TV shows or crime dramas which you can get on itv or bbc 1 . The program c4 makes are owned by independent company's which can sell them abroad or sell the format. There's alot more competition in the TV market from streaming apps that allow you to watch any time you want. As long as soaps get good ratings they, ll still be on tv no matter how bad they are.

Wow what an odious little prick.

Scrap the cap!

Oh I forgot to mention, Mastermind comes from Belfast!

Looks like Mrs. Brown's Boys isn't going anywhere for the next 4 years.

https://www.heart.co.uk/showbiz/tv-movies/mrs-browns-boys-returning/

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

People just hate everything relating to the Catholic church because of the abuse scandals. These are the same people who preach to northerners about forgiving the British. You can forgive the British but not the church? Not that everyone in the church is to blame anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Neighbours, supposedly it is ending this year but I can't see it happening. I grew up with Australian soaps from the week I was born as my older siblings watched them and then I got addicted to them. I still watch it today but the writing is very poor.

EastEnders is fairly poor nowadays too, it has its moments but Coronation Street tends to be more consistent. Maybe things will change for EastEnders now that they have moved to a bigger set last month.

That's a pretty daft take on it tbh

Abuse scandals or no abuse scandals, we shouldn't be having a Catholic call to prayer on our national broadcaster every day

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I would say room to improve but in its 13th season it's 3rd in the ratings behind the late late and tommy tiernan. brannon knows what the viewers want !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

When I first moved to rural West Ireland, some twelve or so years back, I was living in a tiny bungalow that had just one neighbour in a similar dwelling right next door and then... nothing but mountains for miles.

My neighbour was an elderly man, never married and had lived with his recently departed brother all his life. He was a pure Connemara man and a gentleman with it.

Anyhoo... One day I was staring idly out of my window and noticed my elderly neighbour pootling around in his garden. Suddenly he clutched his chest and fell to his knees. Just dropped like a controlled demolition. I rushed out of the house, turned him by the shoulder and tried to place him in the recovery position. Imagine my surprise when he fought back... "I'm only saying my prayers" he screamed at me in a very startled voice.

That's when I heard the bong, bong, bong, - - - bong, bong, bong, on his transistor radio

And this is the only reason why I believe the Angelus should be taken off the air, the feeling of mortification that I still get every time I hear it to this day!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dermot nearly makes more appearances on The Late Late than they are episodes of Room to Improve in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Any programme TV (or Radio) involving The Two Johnnies, pity their dads weren't wearing Johnnies😐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

it really should be the 'late' Late Late Show,

Maybe The Late David Turpin could sing on the final episode

• Advertisement

I've recently learnt that Geordie Shore is finishing up after one special final series, let me take this moment to breathe a sigh of relief, it ran its course very quickly and best of all no more Scotty T 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is nothing wrong with the late late show that a change that of presenter wouldn’t fix… it’s a good tried and tested format that when done well can have something for everyone.

Gay Byrne wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he was certainly a skilled presenter and interviewer when compared to Pat Kenny who was a current affairs guy, far too wooden to be unleashed in a Friday night light entertainment setting, and Tubridy who is just crap, an average radio jock who knows his limits and plays it safe with stating the fûcking obvious and licking the boots of his guests… a not very likeable, smug, condescending and unintuitive lick arse… his greatest asset is that he’s unbelievably assured and confident but asks the most obvious questions… almost as if he is determined not to want to challenge his guests, instead enabling them to plug whatever book, idea, career or ‘personality’ quite gratuitously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Made in Chelsea.. must be season 100 now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

This. Amazing how thick people are. Unable to “reflect” without state tv playing bell noise.

IIRC it began in 2011, which I think is the same year Geordie Shore began. Those two and TOWIE all began around the same time

• Advertisement

12,600 euros in add revenue a day is lost by RTE television because of the Angelus.

just under 4.6 million a year if my quick maths are correct ?!

Don’t even know about the radio…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Amazing. Never thought of it that way.

Can we bill some of the cults?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Do you think the news would start at a minute past six if there was no Angelus....

Could finish a minute earlier and enable more advertising revenue that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement