Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV programmes that have run their course

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The dismantling of Danny Tourrette was amazing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

fryup wrote: »
    the previous presenter mark lamarr wasn't much better, he nearly had gail porter in tears when she appeared

Vanished from our screens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The Covid briefing that's on twice a week, was on every day in the 1st lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    the previous presenter mark lamarr wasn't much better, he nearly had gail porter in tears when she appeared
    Vanished from our screens

good! he's a horrible person

Have I got News for You - Ian Hislop and Paul Merton trying to outwit each other with their oh so smart arse comments about current affairs, its way past its sell by date

its a load of elitist ox-bridge "oh aren't i so witty" tripe its been done to death, and worse still it spawned a plethora of copycat panels shows since

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The rose of Tralee
    Most embarrassing thing in Ireland on tv, and the women and men that partake set the world back fifty years.
    It's a peep show.

^^^^^^^^^^

you could add that to the Covid Positives thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Any regular weekly programme that has ad breaks every 8 minutes and then spends the next 2 minutes recapping what’s just gone before so the ‘new’ people joining will be able to follow. PAINFUL to watch.

Eg A place in the sun
    A place by the sea etc

I now watch much of them on mute.
    Yer one Geetha the presenter needs to be calmed down or retired - I watch the programme to see the houses not & her lovbed together wardrobe & scruffy hair her trying to cook or to windski or snowboard/whatever.

Fr Ted & Morcam & Wise reruns. Too many too often. Time to give them a rest and bring back Dave Allens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Why watch a program you do not like, theres so many channels and streaming apps ?
    I have no interest in any talent show, cooking shows or shows about travel,
    or any show where people compete to sing songs, the voice etc
    the masked singer is funny because its like who can we get to sing,
    some old singer who has,nt had a hit in 20 years who needs a few grand .
    the rose of tralee gets good ratings, i think people watch it cos its a relic from the 70s.
    i think ,most people who watch the late late show , are people who do not have cable tv or sky.Saorview users.

riclad wrote: »
    Why watch a program you do not like, theres so many channels and streaming apps ?
    I have no interest in any talent show, cooking shows or shows about travel,
    or any show where people compete to sing songs, the voice etc
    the masked singer is funny because its like who can we get to sing,
    some old singer who has,nt had a hit in 20 years who needs a few grand .
    the rose of tralee gets good ratings, i think people watch it cos its a relic from the 70s.
    i think ,most people who watch the late late show , are people who do not have cable tv or sky.Saorview users.

You might share a house with parents who enjoy to watch whatever & want to be social and sit in the same room as them for some of the evening.

Or be trapped in appartment living with communal kitchen and living room and have little choice atm.

Its amazing how even though the Graham Norton show formula is completely predictable and unvaried how he can totally lead that show and gis guests and be unerringly entertaining every time. Guys a genius. Unlike eg Tubberity, Pat the Plank, Philip Schofield, etc who are just at beat disinterested in their guests and have no warmth or empathy or genuine-ness.

• Advertisement

That appalling man Marty Whelan - the 60’s dinosaur forced off ‘contemporary’ ‘youth’ music - 2fm and now refusing to ever retire and decaying on lyric where he daily shows his ignorance, mysigony, rudeness and contempt for classical music . Should have been forced off air or fired decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The rose of Tralee
    Most embarrassing thing in Ireland on tv, and the women and men that partake set the world back fifty years.
    It's a peep show.

It's meant to be great craic at it.
    Loads of riding going on at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Denny61

That appalling man Marty Whelan - the 60’s dinosaur forced off ‘contemporary’ ‘youth’ music - 2fm and now refusing to ever retire and decaying on lyric where he daily shows his ignorance, mysigony, rudeness and contempt for classical music . Should have been forced off air or fired decades ago.

You must be a fan so of lyric fm.if you Well able to describe his content and his dj qualities

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭blackvalley

There must be some sort of variation on Godwin's Law for Boards whereby all threads relating to television will invariably end up with the same few posters giving out about the Late Late Show, RTÉ, and why the Angelus is still shown.

Absolutely correct . And then they will go on to remind you that they " never watch that stuff anyhow " :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I would have said Criminal Minds stayed on too long but it was axed so that was grand. But now I see they are talking about bringing it back already! :(
    Absolutely correct . And then they will go on to remind you that they " never watch that stuff anyhow " :confused:

And that they haven't seen an ad on telly since 2003. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Heroditas wrote: »
    Very much so.
    The first couple of series were great but I struggle to remember anything of note from the season just gone.
    Too many slow-mo shots with brooding characters and some mumbling nowadays.

Peaky Blinders turned extremely formulaic in the last few seasons. Some sinister force / gang / political element decides to come for the Blinders after they think they've finally gone legit. Tommy gets the gang back together again for one last bloodbath, some member of the family get kidnapped, but Tommy comes out on top in some noble murder-fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

American Horror Story has been fairly dreadful since the Roanoke season. Trump season was poor, Apocalypse was boring and all over the shop, and I stopped watching the Camp Slasher season after 3 episodes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At Last the 1948 Show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

Yurt! wrote: »
    Peaky Blinders turned extremely formulaic in the last few seasons. Some sinister force / gang / political element decides to come for the Blinders after they think they've finally gone legit. Tommy gets the gang back together again for one last bloodbath, some member of the family get kidnapped, but Tommy comes out on top in some noble murder-fest.

Thanks for that! Hadn't watched the last few seasons yet.

• Advertisement

don't bother it's formulated to death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Pretty much the entire reality TV format imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I detest reality tv but its cheap to produce and there seems to be a limitless supply of drones willing to appear on it so its unlikely to disappear anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

Recent episodes of the Simpsons aren't actually bad. I bet most of those naming it in this thread haven't watched it in years.

No, it isn't like the 90s when they could get away with some questionable stuff for a PG show, but they've churned out plenty of decent episodes in recent years despite this. It's probably still one of the better cartoon programmes for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Simpsons is a joke these days, needs to be cancelled pronto. Family Guy too. Greys Anatomy is played out by now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not in order of preference, they all need to end immediately

Fairly S***Y (Fair City) how has this lasted so long 🤔

Have I got news for you. Tiresome, Unfunny, actually irratating.

Too Gear (Just awful and since the original line up left)

Holby City (It's been dying a slow death for years, albeit I believe its ending in 2023? Why prolong the abject misery)

Anything with Ray D'Arcy presenting.

Anything with Joe Duffy presenting.

Everything Dáithí Ó Sé presents.

Claire Byrne live, especially the absurd Mock up"s this show does, apparently she thinks we're a nation of uneducated morons.

Pretty Much everything home produced on Virgin Media, especially the awful morning, Elaine & 6 o Clock shows, all equally dreadful and cringe enducing nonsense.

Please feel free to add, I'm sure I've missed a few 😉😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Been on day shift for a few weeks now and have the 6 o clock show repeat on at 6 a.m, the guests are bad but the presenters are worse, they are either rushing the interview to get the break on time or dragging out the interview because someone's cancelled, Grainne the ice Queen was guest presenting a few weeks ago,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's truly dreadful stuff, I love to know its True, viewership figures.

I'm just sorry you had to endure this Shyte, I've a nervous remote control twitch that kicks in when this crap comes on 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

It's really only background noise so I don't doze off in my Weetabix ,

Advertisement