Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV programmes that have run their course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have you seen The Angelus lately ?
    It's far more "reflective" than Catholic.

So what are the bells then?

Why does a state broadcaster need to get people to reflect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Operation Transformation.
    Every Year it's the same old story.
    Karl and his water bottle exercises.
    A strict food plan that I think they expect to them to maintain.
    Then the contestants will have a falling out with the experts and Dr Eddie will talk to them and they'll all have a good cry.
    If it was so successful we'd all be fit and healthy by now. It's the same thing since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A Question of Sport.

Used to be class back in the day, but now includes too many participants from niche sports, not to mention at least one female sports star per episode. I mean how many casual viewers watch snowboarding, netball, or ladies hockey to be able to answer a question on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Hamachi

murpho999 wrote: »
    So what are the bells then?

Why does a state broadcaster need to get people to reflect?

Is it really that big a deal?

It’s 60 seconds out of virtually 24-7 programming. Many of the older generations appreciate the small interlude for quiet contemplation.

Can’t we let them have a small piece of consistency in a fast changing world, without the outrage?

• Advertisement

Hamachi wrote: »

It’s 60 seconds out of virtually 24-7 programming. Many of the older generations appreciate the small interlude for quiet contemplation.

Can’t we let them have a small piece of consistency in a fast changing world, without the outrage?

Still done on the radio as well.

It's not about the duration. It's about the fact that the state broadcaster still rams religion down people's throat and that's not their job.

And please don't say it's reflective and not religion as it's called the Angelus and has church bells.

People would find TV in muslim countries strange with a call to prayer on thm but this is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have you seen The Angelus lately ?
    It's far more "reflective" than Catholic.

I’m not very religious but it gives me a quiet minute to reflect. No harm in it unless you’re looking to be offended.

Still done on the radio as well.

It['s not about the duration. It's about the fact that the state broadcaster still rams religion down people's throat and that's not their job.

And please don't say it's reflective and not religion as it's called the Angelus and has church bells.

People would find TV in muslim countries strange with a call to prayer on thm but this is no different.

You’re looking for a reason to be offended. Do the Angelus have any material impact on your sense of well being?

The last census indicated that > 75% of the population still identifies as catholic. Amongst the older age cohorts, that value is likely higher. There’s a ‘market’ out there for the Angelus whether you like it or not. If it bothers you that much, change the channel.

I wouldn’t find the Muslim call to pray in any way strange if I lived in a majority Islamic society. I’d assume that many people appreciate it and it was part of the fabric of daily life. If it bothered me that much, I’d expend the second of energy required to flip to another channel. I suggest you do likewise.

You’re looking for a reason to be offended. Do the Angelus have any material impact on your sense of well being?

The last census indicated that > 75% of the population still identifies as catholic. Amongst the older age cohorts, that value is likely higher. There’s a ‘market’ out there for the Angelus whether you like it or not. If it bothers you that much, change the channel.

I wouldn’t find the Muslim call to pray in any way strange if I lived in a majority Islamic society. I’d assume that many people appreciate it and it was part of the fabric of daily life. If it bothered me that much, I’d expend the second of energy required to flip to another channel. I suggest you do likewise.

I'm not offended at all. I don't get offended by TV nor do I hardly ever see The Angelus as I generally don't watch TV at that time but telling people to change the channel is a rude and invalid argument as I'm still entitled to have an opinion on it and I just disagree that RTE should be doing this.

As for the census, people often throw this out but I would argue that people just select Catholic for cultural reasons, just like they still get their kids to have communions and confirmations but it is changing and the delcine in numbers identifying as such in last 2 census has been huge as people start to let religion go as evidenced by huge growth in "no religion" category.

Regardless of the census Ireland is supposed to be a secular Republic and the state broadcaster should not be pushing religion on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Ellen DeGeneres Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Simpsons. Was once a great show but it's been on life support for too long. Time to pull the plug.

Young Offenders. Was mildly watchable to begin with and has gotten progressively worse. The two leads must be about twenty five now.

Peaky Blinders. Has long been style over substance.

As for the census, people often throw this out but I would argue that people just select Catholic for cultural reasons, just like they still get their kids to have communions and confirmations but it is changing and the delcine in numbers identifying as such in last 2 census has been huge as people start to let religion go as evidenced by huge growth in "no religion" category.

Regardless of the census Ireland is supposed to be a secular Republic and the state broadcaster should not be pushing religion on people.

So would you not agree that the >75% of the population of Ireland, who you have decided are culturally catholic, likely have no issue with the Angelus?

Sure, the ‘no religion’ category is growing, but a pretty large majority still explicitly identify themselves as catholic and are happy for their children to participate in the sacraments like communion and confirmation. I’d wager that those 3.5 to 4 million people are happy enough with the status quo.

Do you hold your fellow country men and women in such low esteem that you feel that a 60-second interlude with church bells ringing, is like to cause mass indoctrination?

You’re making a mountain out a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Psychlops wrote: »
    Simpsons, Big Bang Theory, Late Late Show, 1st Dates, Big Brother, Tipping Point, Winning Streak, Fair City, 8 out of 10 Cats Countdown, Storage Wars.

The Big Bang Theory finished 2 years ago. Big Brother about 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely if you wanted a small interlude for quiet contemplation, the first thing to do is turn the bloody television off.

So would you not agree that the >75% of the population of Ireland, who you have decided are culturally catholic, likely have no issue with the Angelus?

Sure, the ‘no religion’ category is growing, but a pretty large majority still explicitly identify themselves as catholic and are happy for their children to participate in the sacraments like communion and confirmation. I’d wager that those 3.5 to 4 million people are happy enough with the status quo.

Do you hold your fellow country men and women in such low esteem that you feel that a 60-second interlude with church bells ringing, is like to cause mass indoctrination?

You’re making a mountain out a molehill.

The point is in a secular society (unlike the comparison to muslim countries) and the state broadcaster should not be promoting prayer time on the viewership.

If people want to pause and reflect at 12 or 6 o'clock then let them do so in their private time and mute their TV for a minute.
    Other "catholic" countries do not have The Angelus as part of its schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Tv3s Ireland AM and the Elaine show they all sound like cackling hens talking lots about nothing

The point is in a secular society (unlike the comparison to muslim countries) and the state broadcaster should not be promoting prayer time on the viewership.

If people want to pause and reflect at 12 or 6 o'clock then let them do so in their private time and mute their TV for a minute.
    Other "catholic" countries do not have The Angelus as part of its schedule.

Well perhaps Ireland isn’t quite as secular as you deem it to be. You’ve decided that a huge proportion of the population is culturally catholic, you’ve determined that their participation in the sacraments lacks sincerity.

Newsflash; you don’t get to decide on behalf of several million people, the majority of whom continue to pay their TV license fee. If they were truly bothered by the presence of the Angelus, you can be sure that it would have been deprecated by now.

I’m not even religious, but I am bothered by somebody who feels that their view overrides the prevailing sentiment amongst their fellow citizens.

Surely if you wanted a small interlude for quiet contemplation, the first thing to do is turn the bloody television off.

Or listen to church bells ringing out. If that works for some people, so be it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

EICVD wrote: »
    Beggars belief people actually class the Angelus as a program!
    It's so much better if you record a full season and binge watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The late late show

I’m not sure the program or format has run its course...

Tubridy on the other hand probably, or definitely. He’s presented it for the guts of 12 years. I’ve nothing personal against the fella but I just don’t find him as being very good really, he’s poor in fact.. I don’t think he has the personality, charisma or ultimately the gravitas to really do a very good job. He seems to struggle to ‘connect’ with his guests on the same level as Gay and actually Pat too. Pat wasn’t great but he had a certain intelligence, likability and warmth that Tubridy can’t seem to manage ... Tubridy, he’s determined not to offend anyone really and is just too wooden, too predictable too reliant on asking simple questions... “ so you grew up in mayo, what was that like ? “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Walking Dead. Aptly named show is every there read one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The Simpson is the obvious choice.

WWE has been crap since 2001 and keeps declining every year. I don't think it should cancel its programming but Vince McMahon is out of touch should retire.

The Jerry Springer Show has been ****e since the 90s. I remember seeing midgets on unicycles just randomly peddling across the stage. They weren't guests, they were just there to add to the wackiness of the show. It was only put out of its misery two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I used to agree about the Late Late having run its course. But now I'm not so sure.
    It's a good forum for regular people to tell their story in a relaxed environment and be heard by a good portion of the population.
    I don't know where else on television that happens.
    There's a good mix of celebrities and topical and human interest stories with a couple of musical numbers thrown in. A unique blend.
    I'm not Tubridys biggest fan, but he's definitely improved over the last couple of seasons and it hasn't become the stale format of shows such as Norton and Ross on the English channels or any number of shows on US television.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Gordon Ramsay's restaurant makeover shows. It's just the same crap being regurgitated over and over again. Every restaurant and kitchen he visits he calls it "the worst kitchen ever". He has become a parody of himself. Pure clickbait tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gordon Ramsay's restaurant makeover shows. It's just the same crap being regurgitated over and over again. Every restaurant and kitchen he visits he calls it "the worst kitchen ever". He has become a parody of himself. Pure clickbait tv.

....and he's an absolute ar$ehole, a big bully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I don't watch them at all so no idea how good they are but are the big 3 soaps still doing any kind of quality television?
    I'm asking about Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Winning streak.
    Fairly Sh1tty.
    The Angelus.

I've decided I actually like the Angelus.
    It allows me to listen to the headlines on the BBC six o'clock news before switching over to RTE's Six One.

Agree re Winning Streak (suspended at the mo thankfully), Fair City & the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Saturday Night Live
    Awful sh*te judging by the ‘hilarious’ clips doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Any "reality" based show that are clearly scripted or directed to a pre-determined outcome, with a dash of viewer shock.
    This format was never needed and it's definitely time for it to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There's a good mix of celebrities

Of which at least 70-80% are either RTÉ employees plugging their new show, or are guests on the new RTÉ show, or are Nathan Carter.

Advertisement