Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8valve's vintage meanderings

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Now that this is approaching two decades old, I think we can get away with calling it vintage...?

NOS Bianchi EV3 Reparto Corse prototype frame, sourced in Italy by a friend.

Arrived at my house, direct from Italy, for BB threading, steerer cutting etc. and build up, with the supplied used-but-good 10s record groupset, wheels etc, and a smattering of Celeste finishing kit.

It's a thing of loveliness.

Sent him pics and he asked ''what's it like to ride?''

I replied ''haven't a clue; that maiden voyage is reserved for you, who'll be the first person to ever cycle it!''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Got the frame back before Christmas. Delighted with it. Full paint and transfer job and a couple of extra bottle cage holders on the seat tube. Nice bit of lug lining all around as well

That's a cracker! Well wear!

What groupset are you planning to build it up with?

Dare I ask how much the repaint/decals cost?

Prices vary wildly with various companies in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have a mixture of parts. Dura Ace brake callipers and down tube levers (10 speed) Ultegra derailleurs. 105 crankset with 42/34 rings although given that my son will be riding it I will probably put a bigger outer ring on it. Original seat post and Mavic rims of some description.

It cost about €600 including shipping back to Ireland. That included removing and reinstalling the headset, drilling out the extra bottle cage holders. Completely stripping the frame (shot blasting I believe) and then multiple layers of paint and the decals (which faithfully match the original). I was particularly pleased with the lug lining and the painting of the original engraved Rossin name and the engraved "R" logos of which there are a good few around the frame.

it was pricey but as I said in a previous post I wanted to make sure the steel was sound first and foremost as I would hate to have something happen to anyone riding it due to a weakness somewhere that I didn't know about but the shop gave it a clean bill of health.

As a matter of interest it was bought in Hardings in Dublin in 1985 for 950 punts..Was originally 6 speed and full Dura Ace..

It's been a while since I spent any time in the shed, so, when other plans for the weekend fell through, I took the opportunity to catch up o some bike related stuff I had put on the long finger...

I had previously built up my 1984 Record Sprint and fitted a pair of Wolber wheels with dura ace hubs, along with a pair of DA aero levers; I recently picked up a pair of correct 126mm spaced wheels with Mavic rims and a pair of correct Weinnmann non-aero brake levers (without the gold anodising) with decent gum hoods. I also picked up a repro toptube decal from H Lloyds. Unfortunately, when I went to true the rear wheel before fitting, around 20 of the spoke nipples were seized, so a zen afternoon was spent re-spoking the wheel, listening to music and drinking mugs of tea! Bliss!

I also fitted some 28c Michelins, which look a bit better than the continentals I had on the original wheels.

• Advertisement

Bike number 2 to get some love was my 1983 Road ace; a friend had sent me on a 600ax chainset with pedals that he found in his shed, so I rooted out a pair of usable shimano toeclips and gave them a bit of spit and polish. To use the AX chainset, I had to swap out the 107mm bottom bracket for a 113mm alternative, as the chainset was snug against the stay as soon as I tightened everything up.

I removed the clinchers I had fitted and replaced them with GP4 tubulars, laced to Mavic hubs; a little bit closer to original spec; slowly but surely getting there!

And finally, I built up the titanium 4T (Wittson) frame I picked up back in the autumn. The frame and parts are nearly twenty years old, so that's nearly vintage....right?! ;-)

Dura Ace 7800 2x10 group, Mavic Cosmic SL wheelset, some Brooks goodies (a gift from my SO); very happy with how it turned out.

I had bought a NIB Dura Ace FD-7801 front mech to use (31.8mm clamp-on) but the seat tube on this frame is 34.9mm; if anyone has one (34.9 clamp-on or braze-on fitment)to trade or swap, feel free to let me know - I've an Ultegra front fitted in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Boooo (just because I was trying to buy that frame)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

How do you decide whether to repaint a vintage frame or not?

I've seen forums where posters were dead set against repainting almost anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

Where do you see frames like that come up for sale?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was a seller on donedeal. He had it up for a few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it fits weepsie, it's too big for me, so my wallet is safe.

if the original paint is just scratched or chipped, I'll tidy it up and polish it.

if there's a lot of surface corrosion, I'll usually repaint in a sympathetic colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Fair play, if it was a 54, I'd have been tempted to make an offer...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

please, someone buy this to remove the temptation for me.

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/motobecane-c4-frameset/29025852

hmm. that frame is still for sale. what's the deal with french thread BBs? PITA if you need a replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Velo Orange used to supply them. I bought a square taper one a few years back. Not sure if they’re still around

Edit: Seems they are

https://velo-orange.com/collections/bottom-brackets/products/grand-cru-bottom-brackets-hollow-axle-alloy-cups-1

you could always fit a ''rescue'' square taper bottom bracket, which has unthreaded cups....just sayin....

The shed's been very quiet over the last while, simply due to the fact that working in a bike shop is so busy, so the last thing on my mind is fixing bikes....after 8 hours of fixing bikes!

Having said that, I've finally rebuilt my Merckx Corsa Extra as I had envisioned it....it's a 1986 frameset, so I wanted to use Dura-Ace 7401 2x7.

Her original owner raced it equipped with Campagnolo Record back in the late 1980s, and, when I bought it from a dealer in Holland in 2017, it had a mishmash of Campag and Sachs New Success parts. I subsequently upgraded to 10 speed Campag, with modern Cosmic SL 50mm wheels.

I picked up a lot of old 6/7/8/9-speed Dura-Ace bits and pieces during COVID lock-down, so I'm gradually working my way through that, fitting it to appropriate frames.

Wheels are a lovely clean set of Mavic hubs, with stainless spokes and Open 4CD rims that I picked up from a fellow enthusiast at last years Old Velos vintage cycling event (shameless plug - this years event is on in Waterford in September!)

Tyres are 23c...YES, 23C...modern-ish Michelins, for some colour-coordinated fun. I'll fit 25c tanwalls for cycling it.

Again, I've used a modern sealed bearing bottom bracket, for fit-and-forget functionality. The original Stronglight needle bearing headset was shagged, so I used a new Tange Seiki one to replace it - cutting threaded steerers still makes me nervous....I must have measured and remeasured it 10 times, just to be sure, to be sure!

Paintwork is original, with plenty chips, scrapes and marks but with a good compound polish and some fancy-schmancy ceramic car wax, shines up a treat. Every scar tells a story....even if the story is just about it falling over in the shed!

Another one finished! You'd never guess this year's Old Velos event is just around the corner ha-ha

1991 Look KG76 Hinault , carbon kevlar bonded frameset in 'macklet' condition. A friend had bought it thinking it was a 55, but it turned out to be a 57 with a 55 top tube.

Dura-Ace 7402 8 speed throughout, with the exception of a Stronglight Delta Carbon chainset that I thought suited the bike nicely. A pair of purple LOOK Delta carbon pedals finish it off.

I think the modern Mavic Cosmics work well with it, overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Love the Merckx ! That generation of Shimano brake levers I think are the first to bare any resemblance to the size and shape of a typical human’s hand !

Sun's out, rattlecans out!

20 year old Trek 5500 OCLV getting some love (and fresh paint/decals in the US Postal team livery); it'll be rebuilt with a set of Rolf Vector wheels and a complete 9speed Dura-Ace 7700 groupset. I think I've clocked up a total of 12-13 hand sanding this frame. Never again! Finish almost makes it worth the hardship...off next to my buddy the panel beater for some gloss lacquer from a gun.

Found a blue metallic that was close enough to the original team paint; three coats of it over three coats of high build primer.

Also have a couple of steels beginning the restoration process; a Columbus Max frame that I picked up here, which will be finished in the PDM team colours (haven't decided on vintage or modern groupset yet) and a Paganini that I've chased for years. More pics as the sunshine (and rattle-canning) continues!

Oh and I've to finish building my Allsop Softride (oooooooooo Matron!) before the Old Velos event on Saturday week. No pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Nice. Bit of dodgy welding there on the Concorde from the factory? I assume it had been filled in?

Pin holes in the weld; sandblasting sees through all the lies haha

I'd rather not fill them and if someone is ever buying the bike in the future, they're something I would point out, for transparency....much the same reason I never use filler on rust pitting if I repaint a frame - every scar tells a story!

No structural strength impact to the joint, as they're tiny and it's been blasted clean/etch primed and will have a few coats of high build primer before it even gets any paint.

A couple of shots from yesterday's Old Velos event at Curraghmore House, Co Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

That Colnago is lovely (they all are but that especially)

Advertisement