Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8valve's vintage meanderings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Just met the owner with this bike in Dungarvan.

Happy out, bike looked great in the flesh.

Just back from Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Glad you liked the finished product; was a cool little project, which I thoroughly enjoyed doing...I'm actually now doing something similar at the moment for a friend of his!! I will populate Waterford with cool old bikes, ridden by young people!! All part of my plan for global domination....MWUHAHAHAHAHA! :-)

He was delighted with the bike in the end, and took it across Northern France, all the way to Amsterdam. He also mentioned that it drew a lot of appreciation and attention on his travels! Needless to say, this confirms my firm belief that EVERYONE likes a cool old vintage bike (even if it has a modern groupset fitted!).

OOPS! I did it again....as Britney once sang!

Time for yet another KAS replica!

What size is it? Asking for a friend 😉

• Advertisement

Progress; original CILO decals removed and frame cleaned down with surgical spirit to remove adhesive residue; forks polished and new KAS/MAVIC decalset applied.

Mixed MAVIC groupset next, once I have it all polished up during the week.

I've onlly learned recently that all of these frames were made in the one facility in France, by Bador (the company that bought VITUS in the late 70s) and then badged for different manufacturers to sell as their own models. Bador held the patent for the jig for assembling/bonding the frames so it was easier for companies to just buy pre-built frames and fit their own decals. This lessens my guilt of taking the original decals off :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,555 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have bad news for you; it's the wrong size for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

And me!

Finished the Vitus this evening; quite happy with the finished article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Another lovely job, 8valve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

Cracking job. Love those down tube shifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Really nice bike build 8valve - great attention to detail and finish

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Very nice. Always liked the look of the Mavic derailleurs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

That's a beaut - well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Aaaaah Simplex retrofriction levers ....I seem to recall for a good few years they were the only ones to have regardless of groupset .I think nearly all the rest slipped but those ones had a big slot you could put a huge screwdriver in and get good and tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a lovely thing. What's the plan for it? Sell or keep?

This is definitely in the 'keep' category.

For now...

Just a quick reminder, folks.

We are running the Old Velos Vintage Cycling Festival this coming weekend, based at Curraghmore house, Portlaw, Co Waterford.

There's lots to do, lots to see, and cyclists and bikes of all ages (not just vintage machines!) are more than welcome to come along and take part!

All details are available at www.oldvelos.com or on the old Velos Facebook page.

Nice little early 80s FAGGIN, turned into a neo-retro commuter ,for a local lady who ''prefers the aesthetic of vintage bikes''.

Gloss black enamel paint, reproduction decals, vintage Campagnolo gears with modern Shimano braking.

Brooks saddle and bartape add a nice touch, I think..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,555 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, that's tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have sent this frame off to be refurbished and restored by Mercian in the UK. It is a Rossin from 1985. Originally full Dura Ace and Columbus SL tubing. Seat post and brakes are the only original parts I have left. It was away in Spain for a tour as recently as 3 weeks ago so I decided to get it fully restored to pass on to one of the kids who currently uses it for light touring. I had a chance to ship it via a family member travelling to the UK and I have dealt with Mercian in the past so I thought it an ideal opportunity.

Post edited by Seaswimmer on

Always great to see old frames getting a new lease of life. Looking forward to the after pics.

what work is it booked in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Complete paint strip and forks rechromed. Then painted up in similar colours with as near to original badges/decals as possible. Also I am getting them to put fittings for a 2nd bottle cage on the seat tube..

to be honest there was quite a lot of superficial rust so I also wanted to make sure it is in solid condition steel wise.

Probably won't be cheap but as I have good quality equipment to put back on it then it should be good for a few years more. It has served the family well. It was my fathers, then mine and now my sons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭secman

My old custom built Rapparee, columbus SLX tubing and one of the first generation of DuraAce STI groupset. 52/42 chainset and an 8 speed block 12 to 19. Had it built in April 1992, all in about £1,500 . Been up in the attic and suffered a bit of seizing up, one of these days I'll get it seen to....🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

It's worth nothing, I'll take it off your hands etc. etc.

Lovely looking bike

That is a thing of loveliness. And matched with probably one of the greatest groupsets ever made.

Enjoy every mile.

Great to have a piece of Irish frame-building history.

Have yet to find a Rapparee in my size.

Ah feck, at least give him a fiver for rooting it out of the attic for you!

i'm sure i've mentioned before the colleague of mine who left a raparee with his father or father in law, and six months later went to collect it. 'that old thing? i gave it to the nuns'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

OK this I my late dad's bsa bought I think in 1949. as far as I know parts are all original. no pic of the wheels but again original.

no idea if it's worth anything. have payement book for it somewhere

it's in the UK at moment.

Advertisement