Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8valve's vintage meanderings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

OK, some of you will recall the Andy Powell that was recently passed on to me by another member here.

I've been following some lines of inquiry as to its history, but so far, have not had much success.

The downtube decal says 'RENOVATED BY' in small print, and then the frame-builders name 'ANDY POWELL' in larger script, so this had me wondering...

1. is it a frame that Andy Powell originally built, then refurbished for someone later in its lifetime?
    2. is it another framebuilders frame, that Andy Powell later made modifications to, or repairs?
    The plot thickens...

Overburys in Bristol, where the frame originated from, was passed on to the Powell family by the original owner some time around the 60s/70s; Andy Powell was the frame-builder and his mother ran the shop. Legend suggest that, like many family run businesses, relationships could sometimes be a little heated. Andy made frames for racers, time-triallists and tourers throughout the 70s/80s and they are regarded very highly.

He was one of a limited number of artisan framebuilders that Reynolds approved to use their 753 tubing (seemingly, you were sent a set of tubing and lugs, built a frameset, then returned it to Reynolds for their accreditation, before you could build/sell any further frames). He produced a MTB frame called the Overbury Pioneer when the mountain bike craze reached its peak in the late 80s/early 90s and they are still highly sought after by vintage MTB fans. The shop, and frame-building workshop attached, closed down about a decade ago and that was the end of that...

This particular frame in my current care is built from Ishiwata 017 tubing; extremely lightweight (comparable to 753 by those who know more than me!) and a rarity in itself; Ishiwata, like Tange, never gained as good a foothold as Reynolds and Columbus with European framebuilders, for whatever reasons confined to history.

Anyhow, enough historical waffling; back to the bike in front of me. Given its rarity, I think a sympathetic restoration/preservation of the original paintwork and decals is in order.

The groupset is very much a mixed bag:
    Weinmann brake levers and quick release calipers
    Shimano 600 gear levers
    Suntour cyclone front mech
    Mavic rear mech
    SR Laprade seatpost with an all plastic Unicantor saddle (my ar5e hurts, just looking at it!)
    Wheels are high-flange Excelto hubs laced to (possibly) Wolber tubular rims and there are a matching pair of retro cool flint-catchers attached also!

Chainset is a Stronglight with plenty of drillium and a lovely smooth bearing pair of Michelin branded rat-trap pedals - given the chainring sizes, was this a time-trial specific bike, originally? Hmm.
    Headset is a Tange Seiki; absolutely bombproof and still turning smoothly.

I'll definitely use the brakeset, wheelset, chainset and pedals for the final rebuild, so I'll need to have a dig through the spare parts pile to see can I make the gear-train all Shimano 600, all Suntour, or all Mavic, just for a bit of consistency.

Just a quick note: the first thing I checked when i got the bike home was that both seatpost and handlebar stem were free-moving. I'm delighted to say both came out easily! It's always the first thing I check on any vintage bike that passes through my hands.

To be continued...

Nearly forgot!

The following are all stamped on the underneath of the BB shell:

''K.C.HAYNES'' - original person the frame was built for?
    ''105'' - original components fitted?
    ''BSA'' - more than likely BB threading designation.
    ''480'' - framebuilders record number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's gonna be nice when finished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8valve wrote: »
    Anyhow, enough historical waffling; back to the bike in front of me. Given its rarity, I think a sympathetic restoration/preservation of the original paintwork and decals is in order.
    it's not in bad nick; so what would be the plan? light buffing with wire wool and some lacquer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Love the flint-catchers, used to have a set in the 80's - are you going to keep them on it, for originality?

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That's gonna be nice when finished.

yes, looking forward to giving it a new lease of life

it's not in bad nick; so what would be the plan? light buffing with wire wool and some lacquer?

light buff definitely; might not even lacquer; we'll see!

Type 17 wrote: »
    Love the flint-catchers, used to have a set in the 80's - are you going to keep them on it, for originality?

Absolutely! they belong with the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

LOve this thread.....

My rebuild - only got as far as dismantled though ... :/

1475897-1022994701050660-7168572739586081178-n-1.jpg

And my fave bike !! The frame cracked under the saddle.... I was heartbroken - i had the jersey to match !

Raleigh-Panasonic.jpg

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I came real close to buying that one. 1989 Team Malvor colour scheme. Love it. But I am weak when it comes to bikes.. I'd end up restoring it to mint and spending 3 times what its worth, like I always do.

My classic collection is light now but I am always on the look out for something interesting (would love a good Raleigh). Luckily I am small so very few good vintage bikes come up in my size. Everyone was taller in the eighties than I remember. On the wall right now.. 83 Colnago Master, 87 Vitus 979, 89 Peugeot 653 Athena, 90 TVT Team Z, 94 Colnago Master Olympic.

... and if you consider full carbon classic there's a 97 Colnago C40 and (god help me but I love it) 99 Trek 5500 US Postal.

We need pics !!!!!

:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

Quick update on the Powell:

Have an almost full period correct Shimano 600 groupset, which will give it a bit of continuity for the components. Everything will be 600, bar the rear mech, which will be shimano Crane.

Also, a nice pair of tanwall Vittoria tubulars arrived for it.

And, finally, I have enough stainless steel double-butted spokes and nipples in stock to re-lace the wheels and give them that all-important sparkle.

To be continued...

Current sunshine allowed for some rattlecanning.

RIH had three more coats of acrylic high build primer, then three base coats of Audi Mauritius blue; decals next, then off to the auto bodyshop for clearcoat and baking.

SNEL ex-Dutch team frame had three coats of high-build, then a further three coats of its final high gloss enamel; French Blue and a dash of Raleigh Banana yellow (RAL1023) on the rear stays, for a bit of retro fade action. Vinyl decals will go straight onto the paint with no top clear coat, as I'm not too worried about damaging them...I tend to be fairly careful about transport/storage.

My mate's 1956 Claud Butler had three coats of high build, in advance of getting enamel in Duck Egg Blue, which is the original colour from new, which we found under all the Hammerite, when the head-badge was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

Beautiful work. I see you brought the washing in before you started...

cletus wrote: »
    Beautiful work. I see you brought the washing in before you started...

Thank you, and yes, indeed.

I brought in the washing for two reasons...

1. They were dry.
    2. Herself is a martial artist and would open a can of whupass on me:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have some disastrous news; those frames are too big for me.

i have some disastrous news; those frames are too big for me.

don't worry; we'll find you something that fits eventually!

i still haven't forgotten about that tandem you mentioned - what's holding me back is the house needs rewiring, and the last thing i need is something else to clutter the place up which will have to be moved around to facilitate the work.

Some progress on some frames:

Concorde SLX and Paganini SLX frames are both with Bicycle Design Centre in Kildare, for frame repairs. Concorde having seat tube and seat clamp lug replaced, as both were butchered by someone trying to remove a seized seatpost and Paganini having new downtube gear lever braze-ons fitted, as the old ones had been cut off at some point during its lifetime. Once done, they'll both be off for blasting/etch priming, prior to repainting.

1960s Mercian now ready to return to its home; final lacquer coats applied over the Purple/White paintjob. Turned out nicely, I really like the colour combo.
    IMG_20210704_160611_740.jpg

IMG_20210704_160611_733.jpg
    1980S RIH final lacquering also completed; rebuild now started.
    IMG_20210703_193204.jpg

Decided to fit some upgrades to my own Merckx; refurbished Cosmics with all new spokes, and a set of Potenza skeleton calipers, to match the rest of the campag groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub 24

Some progress on some frames:

Concorde SLX and Paganini SLX frames are both with Bicycle Design Centre in Kildare, for frame repairs. Concorde having seat tube and seat clamp lug replaced, as both were butchered by someone trying to remove a seized seatpost and Paganini having new downtube gear lever braze-ons fitted, as the old ones had been cut off at some point during its lifetime. Once done, they'll both be off for blasting/etch priming, prior to repainting.

1960s Mercian now ready to return to its home; final lacquer coats applied over the Purple/White paintjob. Turned out nicely, I really like the colour combo.
    IMG_20210704_160611_740.jpg

IMG_20210704_160611_733.jpg
    1980S RIH final lacquering also completed; rebuild now started.
    IMG_20210703_193204.jpg

Looking good . I really like the colour scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub 24

Decided to fit some upgrades to my own Merckx; refurbished Cosmics with all new spokes, and a set of Potenza skeleton calipers, to match the rest of the campag groupset.

Those wheels are deadly really set the bike off . Great style and taste

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No offence but if you took the cosmic decals off those wheels it would be really nice. Wheels look a little busy on a really clean frame. Beautiful build.

Is the rear break cable routed internally along the top tube there?

Finished reassembly of the RIH, with new bearings/service parts. Now returned to its owner.

Next up, a sexy Colnago Master with wibbly-wobbly tubing, belonging to a member here.

Watch this space...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Would love to see a few more pics of the RIH. Is that a Shimano Tricolour RD? Chain set and DT levers look Campag but hard to tell as I’ve had a few beers.

someone was asking where the best place to pick up a vintage steel bike. I was really into it for a good few years. You hear the odd story of people picking up fantastic bikes from anywhere from garage sales to whatever. In my opinion the best value for the least effort is ebay.de. But you have to do your research and know your stuff. A good steel frame with a mix of components won’t be as easy to shift on as a bike with a good quality group set. Nothing sells like top tier vintage Campag. Top tier DA is good too if not quite the same. It’s a matter of biding your time and spotting the gems.

ebay.co.uk used to be good enough a few years ago but prices have really jumped in the last few years and Brexit has screwed it royally.

Also it’s a false economy to pick up a cheap bike that needs a respray. There are enough bikes out there with mint paint and chrome for not a whole lot extra

I'll be advertising some vintage road and MTB framesets in the Cycling Classifieds over the next day or so; sizes from 49-56, so something to suit everyone.

I'd love these to go to good home, to be preserved or restored, so all will be (relatively) inexpensive.

Fitted some decals and a pair of 1'' generic carbon forks to the SNEL frame; doesn't look too bad.

Still deciding on what group to finish this off with.

Getting the decals was very lucky; SNEL haven't built steel frames for decades, so when I emailed them, an employee went rooting through drawers and cupboards and sent me whatever he found. A gent!

is that a track bike? no derailleur hanger, but the dropout points the wrong way?

• Advertisement

Doubtful, and hard to know; when I had it blasted, prior to painting, openings in the top tube (that had previously been filled), appeared for internal brake cable routing.

Also has a Cinelli aero bottom bracket shell, drilled for gear cable routing.

Rear bridge also drilled for brake caliper nut, so possibly a road frame that was 'adapted' for some form of single speed use, maybe?

Reputedly an ex-Dutch national team frame; came without its original fork, so I said I'd have some fun with it. May run it single speed, or add bolt-on cable stops/rear mech hanger and use a geared set up.

Advertisement