Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do deeds have car space number on them?

Options
  • 02-02-2021 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Would anyone know what document would have my designated car space number on it?
    • Deeds?
    • Land registry map/plan of car park?

I don't know and the management company of the car park claims not to know either.

I don't have any formal document that states the number, just that I have a designated car space.

A neighbour of a neighbour produced a map that looks like an architect's drawing of the car park with all of the designated car spaces and assigned apartment numbers but my apartment is not on there and I don't know the lady to ask her where she got the plans.

I bought the car space with the apartment and my valuation document says it is worth 25k... although it's worth zero if I can't prove where it is in the underground car park.

Long story short: Bough the apartment a decade ago and rented it out. Never used the car space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The deeds you signed when you bought the apartment should identify any designated car space that is associated with the apartment. If you don't have those deeds (or a copy of them) they are most likely held by the bank from whom you got a mortgage to buy the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

to99 wrote: »
    A neighbour of a neighbour produced a map that looks like an architect's drawing of the car park with all of the designated car spaces and assigned apartment numbers but my apartment is not on there and I don't know the lady to ask her where she got the plans.

The local authority should have a copy of the plans available, they may even be online if the building is relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You could have been renting it out seperate over that time, someone else is obviously using it.

Is there numbers on any of the spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The local authority should have a copy of the plans available, they may even be online if the building is relatively new.
    They'll have physical plans of the building, but those plans probably won't show things like individual apartment-owner's licence interests in individual car park spaces. The local authority doesn't really care about that.

Pretty poor form that the management company doesn't have this information, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

Thanks everyone.

I've contacted a solicitor and asked them to get the deeds.

I've also ordered a copy of the folio and map of the car park leasehold in case it might be on there.

The management company rent out 1/5 of the spaces (it's prime dublin city location) so I'd say it's not in their interest to care to find out what my car space number is.

If it turns out that they have erroneously rented out my space (don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but....) then I have a whole other issue on my hands.

*There is a number on the spaces but they dont correspond to the apartments numbers.

• Advertisement

You should be part of the management as owner.
    I'd be definitely digging further.

I'd also be parking something even a non runner to keep the space unless you will start using in future.

Update; I just received the land registry folio and map and it was a waste of money :D

Nothing on it.

So fingers crossed for the deeds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Re renting out of parking spaces - you should pursue this with the Mgmt Co and with any agents involved. Amazing that that they not know

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Peregrinus wrote: »
    They'll have physical plans of the building, but those plans probably won't show things like individual apartment-owner's licence interests in individual car park spaces. The local authority doesn't really care about that.

True, just thought I'd throw it in there given the reference to architects drawings.

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    Re renting out of parking spaces - you should pursue this with the Mgmt Co and with any agents involved. Amazing that that they not know

I think they do know, which is where the problem lies.

They want me to park in an area that's not designated as a car space on the architectural plans and (no exaggeration as I've measured it) only has one inch either side of the car to manoeuvre into it. Wall on one side and weight bearing column encroaching on the other side. And if there is a car parked perpendicular to it, this area is completely inaccessible to be manoeuvred into (becuase the car that parks there is a big pick up truck and comes out over the space size and takes up part of the manoeuvring aisle.)

Today I hired a solicitor and he's going to request the deeds.

Hoping the deeds will say the number otherwise I've no idea what to do.

• Advertisement

You own a space and it should be like any other that means an actual useable space.

What I would do is start parking in a spot but leave a note on case it is someone elses

This story gets crazier.

So my solicitor confirmed the car space number, which is great, but reading back some old emails between myself and the management company and they claim that another apartment in the building allegedly sold that car space number to someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

This story gets crazier.

So my solicitor confirmed the car space number, which is great, but reading back some old emails between myself and the management company and they claim that another apartment in the building sold that car space number to someone else!!?!!

Christ, be interested in seeing how they were able to "prove" the space was theirs to sell.
    Out of interest, what was the outcome at the time? did the management company assign you another spot at the time?

Christ, be interested in seeing how they were able to "prove" the space was theirs to sell.
    Out of interest, what was the outcome at the time? did the management company assign you another spot at the time?

So I only recently went inquiring about our space.

I was correct in my assumption about my car space number but it was occupied recently so I assumed I was wrong.

I contacted the management company to confirm the number and they said my space was another number which was the worst space in the car park- only big enough for a motorbike. Hence I got my solicitor involved. Ever since then I've been paying the meter to park out on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well I suppose they can't really sell something they don't own. so I'd park in my space and have them sort out whatever they think they did with the other person.

I wonder how mad this is going to get?

Like, I can't just go and take my space back and let the other 2 people fight it out.

Assume I'll be waiting a while for this all to be resolved and I'll still be feeding the meter :(

Like, I can't just go and take my space back and let the other 2 people fight it out.

Assume I'll be waiting a while for this all to be resolved and I'll still be feeding the meter :(

I would. How do you know they own the space have they got that in writing or did one of them just start parking there because you had no car in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

Hardly Management sold it ?

How can You sell something that You do not legally own anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Is there a specific car park space allocated by your Lease? Or is it instead a right to use a car park space to be designated by the Management Company as they see fit? If the space doesn't fit a car its not a car park space and you're not getting what you've paid for.

Is there a specific car park space allocated by your Lease? Or is it instead a right to use a car park space to be designated by the Management Company as they see fit? If the space doesn't fit a car its not a car park space and you're not getting what you've paid for.

He's an owner . It's not a lease. His deeds have his car space on them. Theres a car in his space that's not his car.

• Advertisement

Leave a note on the car, this space is yours.

Let them worry about it, your space, your number, you paid for it.

What did your solicitor advise?

I'd keep all receipts and be looking for parking costs too.

Have you gotten yourself onto the management company as you are an owner.

Specifically allocated to me.

The car space number is referenced in the deed documents with a map.

FYI the good car space is mine and the bad car space number is the one the management company attempted to tell me was mine until I got my solicitor involved and we got the deeds from the bank so we could verify the car space number.

Leave a note on the car, this space is yours.

Let them worry about it, your space, your number, you paid for it.

What did your solicitor advise?

I'd keep all receipts and be looking for parking costs too.

Have you gotten yourself onto the management company as you are an owner.

I asked my solicitor to write to the management company asserting my legal title. So that's what he's going to do. Then we wait.

Specifically allocated by my lease.

The number is referenced in the deed documents with a map.

FYI the good car space is mine and the bad car space number is the one the management company attempted to tell me was mine until I got my solicitor involved and we got the deeds from the bank so we could verify the car space number.

As an owner you are the management company . Suggest getting yourself involved in the board. Perhaps asking for a meeting with the current directors to explain what's going on so it can be resolved.

listermint wrote: »
    I would. How do you know they own the space have they got that in writing or did one of them just start parking there because you had no car in it.

The management company told me that Apartment X allegedly sold that space (my space) to Apartment Y because Apartment X owned 2 car spaces... :confused:

listermint wrote: »
    He's an owner . It's not a lease. His deeds have his car space on them. Theres a car in his space that's not his car.

If its an apartment in a block its more than likely held under a Lease.

The management company told me that Apartment X sold that space (my space) to Apartment Y because Apartment X owned 2 car spaces... :confused:

I'd be highly suspicious of who owns or rents either of those apartments and their connection to the management company.

And frankly I'd park in the space and let them sort out their documentation which may never be produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You have all the proof now that the space is yours?
    I would start using it asap.
    Why would you be the one out of pocket using a meter .

Maybe out of courtesy let whoever is using it know ,that it's yours and has been since day one.

yabadabado wrote: »
    You have all the proof now that the space is yours?
    I would start using it asap.
    Why would you be the one out of pocket using a meter .

Maybe out of courtesy let whoever is using it know ,that it's yours and has been since day one.

Yes i have everything now.

And Im in the better position according to my solicitor.

But I suppose there may be another innocent 3rd party here who thought they were buying a car space when in fact they were not as it belongs to me.

I think once we assert legal ownership I'll put down one of those parking posts as I'm not always at the property to leave a car there permanently.

• Advertisement

Specifically allocated to me.

The car space number is referenced in the deed documents with a map.

Sorry, I missed your post earlier saying your solicitor has confirmed it is your space.

They can't sell on a parking space. Is there a clause in your Deed saying the car park space can't be sold or leased by itself? I thought most of them had something to that effect?

Either way if its the space in your Deed and you were registered first... absolutely park there - subject to your solicitor not advising otherwise of course!

Advertisement