Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

kaymin wrote: »
    GSOC have admitted my case based on what I've told them and they are verifying what I have said which is 100% truthful. It's not an isolated incident - I raised it separately 3 times, in two Garda stations and with a superintendent and received the same dismissive response. It is neglect of duty and I'm confident that GSOC will conclude it as such.

For context the Irish authorities have imprisoned someone for the same crime I have been a victim of on foot of an extradition warrant from the US where they will stand trial

from the vague details you've provided there you seem to be suggesting you reported that you were unhappy with some garda not doing as you wanted ?

At least two gardai and a superintendent told you it was not in their remit to investigate and passed you onto to gsoc who's job it is to look into such things and they are ,

system seems to be working for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

mynamejeff wrote: »
    from the vague details you've provided there you seem to be suggesting you reported that you were unhappy with some garda not doing as you wanted ?

At least two gardai and a superintendent told you it was not in their remit to investigate and passed you onto to gsoc who's job it is to look into such things and they are ,

system seems to be working for you

No, they didn't say it was not in their remit and they didn't pass me onto GSOC.

It is not GSOC's role to investigate crimes unless it involves gardai themselves.

It is up to the gardai to investigate the crime that I'm a victim of. And hopefully GSOC will force them to do that given that they have admitted my complaint and stated that it will be investigated as a disciplinary complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

BiggJim wrote: »
    It would suit them better to catch criminals and nevermind making stupid dance videos.

Why would they catch criminals in their own time, when they aren't at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Effects wrote: »
    Why would they catch criminals in their own time, when they aren't at work?

If its their own time and they're not on duty, then they sure as hell shouldn't be in uniform.

No, they didn't say it was not in their remit and they didn't pass me onto GSOC.

It is not GSOC's role to investigate crimes unless it involves gardai themselves.

It is up to the gardai to investigate the crime that I'm a victim of. And hopefully GSOC will force them to do that given that they have admitted my complaint and stated that it will be investigated as a disciplinary complaint.

im fairly sure you've misunderstood what gsoc can do there

• Advertisement

im fairly sure you've misunderstood what gsoc can do there

Well you seem to know what you're talking about so enlighten me :rolleyes:

If GSOC find in my favour then when I make the report to the gardai again they will need to act unless the gardai want to find themselves subject to another disciplinary proceedings. It ain't complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

If GSOC find in my favour then when I make the report to the gardai again they will need to act unless the gardai want to find themselves subject to another disciplinary proceedings. It ain't complicated

And if GSOC don't?

And if GSOC don't?

I haven't thought about it

actually I was pointing out that you don't seem to :D

you seem to feel very strongly and without knowing the details of your issue it wouldn't be fair to "enlighten" you

however gsoc lack either the remit or the ability to demand a garda does something that requires no garda action

do you want to try that again with out the childish attempt at being condescending ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

however gsoc lack either the remit or the ability to demand a garda does something that requires no garda action.

So you’re saying the gardaí won’t be compelled to stock the form holders in the lobby before 9am?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

So you’re saying the gardaí won’t be compelled to stock the form holders in the lobby before 9am?

not till after the pudding box is delivered to the station at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Acosta

Not bothered about the dancing. It's lame, but I don't care. I do find it annoying but not surprising that so many appear to have an issue with this, yet aren't bothered that there was no apology from them regarding the part they played in the Mother And Baby homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Allinall

purifol0 wrote: »
    If its their own time and they're not on duty, then they sure as hell shouldn't be in uniform.

Why not?

What do they wear getting to and from work?

actually I was pointing out that you don't seem to :D

you seem to feel very strongly and without knowing the details of your issue it wouldn't be fair to "enlighten" you

however gsoc lack either the remit or the ability to demand a garda does something that requires no garda action

do you want to try that again with out the childish attempt at being condescending ?

How about reading my post in full. I'll repeat it for you:

If GSOC find in my favour then when I make the report to the gardai again they will need to act unless the gardai want to find themselves subject to another disciplinary proceedings. It ain't complicated.

It's really no different to any employer / employee relationship. If an employee refuses to do something in their job description they will be disciplined. No-one can be forced to do anything but you are clutching at straws with this line of argument. Would you happen to be a garda?

How about reading my post in full. I'll repeat it for you:

If GSOC find in my favour then when I make the report to the gardai again they will need to act unless the gardai want to find themselves subject to another disciplinary proceedings. It ain't complicated.

It's really no different to any employer / employee relationship. If an employee refuses to do something in their job description they will be disciplined. No-one can be forced to do anything but you are clutching at straws with this line of argument. Would you happen to be a garda?

You've highlighted the very bit that you are misunderstanding,

you think the criminal justice system is not complicated ?

No , do you often accuse people who disagree with you of that ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The video is sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Ah bollocks.

Are they on duty when they march in a parade in uniform along with members of the defense forces, e.g. the 2016 Easter Rising centenary? And if they are on duty are you going to complain that they and the soldiers should be out catching criminals or fighting foreign invaders rather than parading down a street in Dublin on the sacred taxpayer's dime?

Allinall wrote: »
    Why not?

What do they wear getting to and from work?

It is illegal for anybody to wear a state uniform when not on duty, or if they're not a member of the Defence Forces /An Garda Síochána / Fire Brigade / if they decide to don the uniform they are guilty of an offence. It amounts to impersonating an officer of the state.

It is illegal for anybody to wear a state uniform when not on duty, or if they're not a member of the Defence Forces /An Garda Síochána / Fire Brigade / if they decide to don the uniform they are guilty of an offence. It amounts to impersonating an officer of the state.

Where did you find this piece of law?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Which law is that?

Throw up a link there, cheers

• Advertisement

Ah bollocks.

Are they on duty when they march in a parade in uniform along with members of the defense forces, e.g. the 2016 Easter Rising centenary? And if they are on duty are you going to complain that they and the soldiers should be out catching criminals or fighting foreign invaders rather than parading down a street in Dublin on the sacred taxpayer's dime?

You do realise that they are indeed on duty for parades? And that they are ordered to do these by govt.

I doubt Jerusalema was ordered by the top brass. If it was it would have costs a fortune and they would have trotted out the Garda band (a real great use of taxpayers money them)

bubblypop wrote: »
    Where did you find this piece of law?
    Witcher wrote: »
    Which law is that?

Throw up a link there, cheers

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1954/act/18/section/264/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The first line-

'not being a member of the Defence Forces'

No mention of on/off duty.

Thanks for that, so you're talking crap.

Is that why Redrock got cancelled? Cause all the actors kept getting arrested for wearing Garda uniforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

For me this was sanctioned at the top as I read here HQ was in it. It really surprising me that this was allowed as it shows Gardaí as unprofessional. If we are responsible people and want to be taken seriously this not the way. Did many other police forces take up this challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fair play to them

I'm sure many people in the community got enjoyment from it.
    And it probably helped morale in the force

You've highlighted the very bit that you are misunderstanding,

you think the criminal justice system is not complicated ?

No , do you often accuse people who disagree with you of that ?

We weren't discussing whether the criminal justice system is complicated. You seem easily confused.

It really surprising me that this was allowed as it shows Gardaí as unprofessional. If we are responsible people and want to be taken seriously this not the way. Did many other police forces take up this challenge?

A lot of police forces around the world have been doing stuff like this for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

Fair play to them

I'm sure many people in the community got enjoyment from it.
    And it probably helped morale in the force

They'd probably get more enjoyment from having all the knife wielding little scumbags taken off the streets.

• Advertisement

BiggJim wrote: »
    They'd probably get more enjoyment from having all the knife wielding little scumbags taken off the streets.

I think you are overestimating the work the Gardaí can accomplish, by 100 of them spending an extra hour of their free time at work instead of making a silly dance video.

Advertisement