Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Dance Video *Mod Warning in OP*

Options
  • 02-02-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Why do I feel like this harmless video is going to cause some amount of discussion?! Mixed responses on Twitter but surely our lovely community will fully embrace it...

Garda Jerusalema Challenge

Mod: You can take all the discussion of the Gardai 'breaking restrictions' to the appropriate thread in the Covid-19 forum. It is derailing the thread with the whinging at this point.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

“Page doesn’t exist”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why do I feel like this harmless video is going to cause some amount of discussion?! Mixed responses on Twitter but surely our lovely community will fully embrace it...

Garda Jerusalema Challenge

Is it for charity or something?? What's the purpose of it? My initial reaction was "what a waste of time and tax payers money"...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Oink wrote: »
    “Page doesn’t exist”

Should be fixed there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is it for charity or something?? What's the purpose of it? My initial reaction was "what a waste of time and tax payers money"...

It's a bit of craic that was started by Swiss Police.

I don't see how they're any cost to the tax payer. Most likely some Garda member made it themselves in their spare time and photography and editing these days is very easy with drones and decent DSLR or even camera phones. Editing is easy too.

I think it's well done and Ireland looks great. Loved the coastal shots and the horses.

Anger will be huge for many, already seen it labelled disrespectful and an abuse of power by outrage monkeys on Twitter.

It seems people can't have some fun just because times are tough.

Dhera, harmless.

Those horses looked very fancy there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see how they're any cost to the tax payer.

Guarantee you that was hired out. Garda Press Office often cant even spell or use the correct terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

Butta craic for me. No doubt you'll have the usual ***** complaining to Joe etc but gave me a smile this morning.

Beats getting lied to for hours on end at checkpoints anyway for the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ED E wrote: »
    Guarantee you that was hired out. Garda Press Office often cant even spell or use the correct terminology.

Well it may not have been and even if it was they operate within a budget so there's no extra expense.

Waiting for the "what about the homeless" comments now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I was just watching it earlier.

I think it's a bit of fun, I loved the horses side stepping.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I don't get all this dancing video sh1te, but maybe I'm just the wrong generation. Just looks like desperate attention seeking to me, but sure if they're enjoying themselves, and some people like it, let 'em at it.

Every day, I begin to understand more and more where this guy was coming from....

old.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

What about the homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

What about the homeless?

Did they make a video too?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The horses were lovely. And the cailín ag rince.

I just don't get it. A bit of fun? What's the gain out of it? If it was some charity raising gimmick I could get on board with it. Maybe I'm the wrong generation. I do find it slightly annoying that we never see a Garda car patrolling where we live, despite burglaries, but yet they have time to construct this video??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Glad to see it's not just my time they waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

If you've got time to be doing that.......surely you've got more time to be telling people 'there's nothing you can do' .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I just don't get it. A bit of fun? What's the gain out of it? If it was some charity raising gimmick I could get on board with it. Maybe I'm the wrong generation. I do find it slightly annoying that we never see a Garda car patrolling where we live, despite burglaries, but yet they have time to construct this video??

The Swiss police did one and then challenged the Guards. As long as it wasn’t during working hours I don’t see the problem.

bee06 wrote: »
    The Swiss police did one and then challenged the Guards. As long as it wasn’t during working hours I don’t see the problem.

Yep fair point I suppose...

What about the homeless?

George-Montagu-Brown.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Ireland's elite law enforcement professionals everyone.

I got a horn through sheer pride and unadulterated patriotism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭lucalux

Omackeral wrote: »
    The horses were lovely. And the cailín ag rince.

Same thoughts here, shows off a bit of our lovely country (god I'm gasping to see a beach or a bitta rugged coastline!)

The horsies were class, and an cailín ag rince showed them all up!
    Fair fecks, they're working hard most of the time and putting up with awful gobsh1tery from some, so no harm to engage in what is a worldwide bit of advertising for the country really.

After all, they can't go to Coppers and show off the moves, they're probably in withdrawal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Well if it shines a light on the obesity problem in Ireland it's OK with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

I thought it was brilliant, and a bit of fun! People are such moaners and never happy!

People take issue with everything these days, it's so boring!

Was funny and fair play to them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The sourness in response to this on twitter and sure that's been coming since the challenge was thrown out by the Swiss Police.

It's a bit of craic...cheers people up a bit...and the horses:D

Fair play to them, bet not many people posting sour replies would have the balls to dance in front of a camera and put it on twitter for worldwide ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Bit of craic to raise morale and money for charity.

Happens in most organisations so why should the Guards be any different.

There is an intangible benefit to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bit of craic to raise morale and money for charity.

Happens in most organisations so why should the Guards be any different.

There is an intangible benefit to this.

I don't see any charity link.
    Am I missing something?

Odd not to add a charity element, charity makes anything OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I don't see any charity link.
    Am I missing something?

Odd not to add a charity element, charity makes anything OK.

Me too. Cant find a mention of charity. A missed opportunity if its not for charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

What about the homeless?

They can do their own feckin jeruselmachallenge ...

The people "triggered" buy this, are I'd wager the very people the Gardai are dealing with day in day out.

Fantasic showcase of Ireland in these sh1t times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I checked the tweet, the egg face brigade and firstnamebunchofnumbers crew seem to be the most offended, so that's me happy.

Some absolutely woeful dancing that would get you kicked out of Coppers, but well shot and edited, and ultimately harmless.

Well done.

Advertisement