Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bennett robbed at RTE sports awards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Whether you intend winning or not by racing in the TdF you are automatically competing in all the categories and the yellow jersey is the overall prize, something which the Olympics doesn't have.

Even swimming doesn't have an overall winner, despite athletes entering multiple disciplines.

Entirely wrong but sure you know best.

Love the simpleton view of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Grand Tours are unusual, and pretty unique. There are several races within a race, both the overall yellow Jersey, and the other classifications. Finishing one is an achievement in itself, in endurance and suffering.

Strangely not everyone competing in the TdF is competing to win it. Some even enter to help someone else win it. Teams have different riders targeting different stages with different roles, both for a given stage, and part of the overall plan.

Climbers haven't a hope against sprinters n a flat stage, and vice versa uphill. Watching the sprinters as a group rolling across the line, hours behind the winners gives an idea of what's going on.

The one day Spring classics are the best to watch IMO

How many of those lads have been in the running to win sportsman of the year in their native countries?

What is it with Ireland and the celebration of mediocrity...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Who are these "some in RTE" and where do you get this juicy insider info from ?

He didnt race the TdF most years cause his team had 7 time points winner Sagan and Sams career actually has a very steady progression from his days at An Post up
    Also its the points classification not the "sprints classification"

No it doesnt. The people picking the winner and the people picking the photo are 2 different groups who may not have even met before. The picture came of Sam Bennetts Getty Images site so it was probably some lad from IT who saw the only picture of "Sam" with a medal and went with it.

my post started with I Believe
    meaning what i wrote is my opinion man
    i did not imply any different

Nermal wrote: »
    People actually care enough about cycling to dope. Can't say the same about foxy-boxing.

In fairness while I'm sure there are still doping issues in the sport.

Sam is of an age that he will have had a blood passport from his early days in Ireland. And he defo wasn't doping then haha.

He comes from an age group that look at lance with disgust. Using the past to down a young Irish athletes honest achievement is really sad.

What's happened to Irish people, we're becoming a right misery bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Neagra wrote: »
    my post started with I Believe
    meaning what i wrote is my opinion man
    i did not imply any different

Sorry about that.
    But I believe writing " I believe" followed by a comment like
    "some in rte wanted to pick bennett but given the serious doping issues in the sport there would be a genuine fear bennett could get caught down the line"
    an pretending its just you musing possibilities is a cop out

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    How many of those lads have been in the running to win sportsman of the year in their native countries?

I've no idea, you'd have to do a thorough investigation of each rider's native country's sports awards...

But winning the TdF Green Jersey, along with stages, isn't "mediocrity" by any stretch of the imagination, despite peoples inability to understand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

Sorry about that.
    But I believe writing " I believe" followed by a comment like
    "some in rte wanted to pick bennett but given the serious doping issues in the sport there would be a genuine fear bennett could get caught down the line"
    an pretending its just you musing possibilities is a cop out

again i believe means holding a view without proof, an opinion.
    my opinion could be wrong, probably is.

but cycling is awash with drugs and has been for many years.
    landas and armstrong are known more for being drug cheats then actually winning
    i read somewhere before even landas said something to the effect professional cycling is organised crime.

how could you pick bennett is my belief or any cyclist as irish sportsperson of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'll preface this by saying boxing is perhaps my favourite sport.
    However boxing has quite the problem with performance enhancing drugs too. Anyone inferring otherwise clearly doesn't follow the sport at all.

Two of the current biggest stars in pro boxing have been drug cheats in the past, so this argument that cycling shouldn't be considered due to ped's but boxing is fine is nonsensical.

Katie Taylor is a fantastic athlete and a great ambassador and I want nothing more than for her career to play out with a few high profile wins, especially a win over Amanda Serrano. If Katie could retire undisputed and undefeated it'd be wonderful. I also felt she beat Persoon both times, close fight the first time but a win nonetheless.

That said Bennett deserved to win Rte's award. Some great achievements throughout 2020 and him winning down the Champs-Élysées should go down as one of the greatest Irish sporting moments ever as a spectacle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Entirely wrong but sure you know best.

Love the simpleton view of cycling.

The yellow jersey is not for the overall winner in the Tour de France, there is an overall winner of the Olympics and there is an individual champion of swimming?

Or does 'entirely wrong' mean a different thing in your county?

The yellow jersey is not for the overall winner in the Tour de France, there is an overall winner of the Olympics and there is an individual champion of swimming?

Does not winning the champions league means that Ronaldo and Messi were not the best players?

Simple question.. You probably haven't realised that cycling is a team sport and a sport with mtiple facets.

So yes entirely wrong, yellow jersey is the GC winner.

Polka is king of the mountains winner.

Green is the prize for the power houses of the sport. Those that specifically save their energy somehow over 120km to murder each other in the last 5km.

Team sport with lots of sides to make it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

Sagan has won the Slovakian equivalent twice.

Can you not sit on a barstool and use Google at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Roglic won Slovenian sportsperson of the year.
    Wout Van Alert won Belgian sportsman of the year.
    Alaphillippe won the French sportsperson of the year.

Those are just the ones I checked for this year but other cyclists have won in the past like Sagan in Slovakia, Cancellara in Switzerland.

Cycling is a far bigger sport than female boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,945 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'll preface this by saying boxing is perhaps my favourite sport.
    However boxing has quite the problem with performance enhancing drugs too. Anyone inferring otherwise clearly doesn't follow the sport at all.

Two of the current biggest stars in pro boxing have been drug cheats in the past, so this argument that cycling shouldn't be considered due to ped's but boxing is fine is nonsensical.

Katie Taylor is a fantastic athlete and a great ambassador and I want nothing more than for her career to play out with a few high profile wins, especially a win over Amanda Serrano. If Katie could retire undisputed and undefeated it'd be wonderful. I also felt she beat Persoon both times, close fight the first time but a win nonetheless.

That said Bennett deserved to win Rte's award. Some great achievements throughout 2020 and him winning down the Champs-Élysées should go down as one of the greatest Irish sporting moments ever as a spectacle.

Bennett deserved it. Maybe though as a male who just keeps his mouth shut and gets on trying to do his best to achieve the best possible results consistently within his chosen sport without courting column inches or controversy... that probably slightly goes against the grain with some, even offends some... no ooooooohhh ahhh rags to riches story, or him turning up to judge a begonia growing competition for one legged diabetic hermaphrodites... just gets on the bike and gets going...try’s to be successful and has been... proper order it has been and is being recognized...

Neagra wrote: »
    again i believe means holding a view without proof, an opinion.
    my opinion could be wrong, probably is.

but cycling is awash with drugs and has been for many years.
    landas and armstrong are known more for being drug cheats then actually winning
    i read somewhere before even landas said something to the effect professional cycling is organised crime.

how could you pick bennett is my belief or any cyclist as irish sportsperson of the year.

I assume you mean Landis, Landa is a current cyclist with no drug history.
    Now you say "cycling is awash with drugs" did you accidentality for get to put I believe before that because otherwise it is slander given that most top cyclists currently have clean records and bringing up Armstrong and Landis is like saying Cara Mageean is a drug cheat because Ben Johnson was a cheat.

I believe your opinion is very wrong and based on very little knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

This thread was posted in AH rather than the relevant sports forum. If OP wanted the big audience, then there are going to be people replying who don’t know who he is talking about but do know Katie Taylor.

I personally couldn’t possibly say who should have won, not knowing enough about either sport, but I’m taken with a number of the posts in this thread where people seem aghast that others haven’t heard of Sam Bennett. Cycling is a particularly niche sport. If somebody posts about it in AH, there will inevitably be “Who?” type responses.
    I understand that not everyone will have heard of Sam Bennett, but, some posters implied he wasn't worthy of winning, simply because they hadn't heard of him and had heard of Katie Taylor, the award should be based on the achievements within the year 2020, not on the nominees popularity or what they achieved in the past.

I have just about no interest in cycling whatsoever. However I read up about all Bennett's achievements in 2020 and he had a very impressive year and put Ireland in the spotlight. Taylor basically had 2 fights that didn't exactly put her under a lot of strain.
    RTE are a joke with their awards. They obviously didn't really look at what he achieved, sure none of them even knew what the guy looked like.
    On a lighter note, that TV add he is in is absolutely hilarious.

I have just about no interest in cycling whatsoever. However I read up about all Bennett's achievements in 2020 and he had a very impressive year and put Ireland in the spotlight. Taylor basically had 2 fights that didn't exactly put her under a lot of strain.
    RTE are a joke with their awards. They obviously didn't really look at what he achieved, sure none of them even knew what the guy looked like.
    On a lighter note, that TV add he is in is absolutely hilarious.

There's a blooper reel they had for that ad on Twitter too , just can't seem to find it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I understand that not everyone will have heard of Sam Bennett, but, some posters implied he wasn't worthy of winning, simply because they hadn't heard of him and had heard of Katie Taylor, the award should be based on the achievements within the year 2020, not on the nominees popularity or what they achieved in the past.

I’d say to those people, who cares about awards? :pac: And I really mean it. When someone or something I like wins an award, it’s cool but awards shows are very susceptible to bias so there’s no need getting annoyed about it, IMO. The people here who are knowledgeable about Sam know he’s good and I’m sure an award won’t change their minds. There were a few posts early in the thread saying that if Katie had balls, she wouldn’t have got the award. I think it’s much more likely that it’s just down to her being one of our best known sporting exports.

I gotta ask

Whats the overall winner in the Olympics?

I’d say to those people, who cares about awards? :pac: And I really mean it. When someone or something I like wins an award, it’s cool but awards shows are very susceptible to bias so there’s no need getting annoyed about it, IMO. The people here who are knowledgeable about Sam know he’s good and I’m sure an award won’t change their minds. There were a few posts early in the thread saying that if Katie had balls, she wouldn’t have got the award. I think it’s much more likely that it’s just down to her being one of our best known sporting exports.

Stop that now. No place for all that sense in rational thinking here

There's a reason this is in after hours and not sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭megadodge

Arduach wrote: »
    People seem to forget Taylor really lost to Delphine Persoon in the first fight. Her entourage ordered her the later out of her hotel because only KT could be there. That was the most outrageous decision since Roy Jones lost to the South Korean for the gold in Seoul 1988.

A lot of you are Katie fans but you have no real research done on her sport. You just swallow the headlines.

The reason I'm posting is your assertion in numerous posts that something rotten occurred in the first Persoon fight. It didn't.

To establish my credentials - I'm a former boxer who boxed at a decent level, I have coached two kids from scratch to win national titles, I have been a huge fan of the sport since the early 1980s, I have attended countless boxing shows from the local amateurs in a pub to world title fights abroad, I have an enormous collection of Boxing News magazines weighing down my book shelves, probably 95% of my posts here are on the Boxing forum..... anyway, you get the jist, I know what I'm talking about.

I personally watched the fight on a dodgy stream. I missed the first two rounds and between the bad quality picture and the rather biased and very nervous commentating I initially thought Persoon won the fight. However, the following week's Boxing News (by far and away the best boxing publication in the world) marked the fight in Taylor's favour. This made me go back and re-watch the fight once it came out on Youtube. Most importantly, I watched it with the sound muted, something I feel very strongly about. I marked it to Katie by 1 point. I then created a post about it on the Boxing forum...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110557657

There wasn't any major disagreement.

It certainly was a very close fight and I don't have an issue with someone believing Persoon won, but to call it the worst decision since Roy Jones' notorious loss in Seoul 88 is frankly ridiculous!

And for the record, I think Bennett was more deserving.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I gotta ask

Whats the overall winner in the Olympics?

Fuctify know.

USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No it doesnt. The people picking the winner and the people picking the photo are 2 different groups who may not have even met before. The picture came of Sam Bennetts Getty Images site so it was probably some lad from IT who saw the only picture of "Sam" with a medal and went with it.

Even if that was the case, it's a pitiful excuse! They could at least picked a photo of him not wearing a mask! (They managed to find a photo of everyone else without one)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

statto25 wrote: »
    Who mentioned Darts or did ya have a look through my post history?

Weirdo alert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It’s an award whose reputation was permanently tarnished when it was decided to award it to that absolutely repulsive Conor McGregor. Cage fighting is the WWE for angry and frustrated adult men who are susceptible to slick marketing.

Nah, the award lost its credibility when it was award to members of the GAA in 2005 and, especially in, 2006. GAA players are just amateur athletes from a small pool of athletes base on an island with a small population. Many felt Derval O'Rourke was robbed in 2006.

McGregor became a world-renowned superstar in 2016 and MAA is a safer sport than boxing and plenty of boxers have won our award. The type of people who watch MMA are the same type of people who watch boxing.

Funny how those who bash MMA fans never seem to mention the amount of gangsters involved in the boxing world. Kinahans and Hutchs, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

megadodge wrote: »
    The reason I'm posting is your assertion in numerous posts that something rotten occurred in the first Persoon fight. It didn't.

To establish my credentials - I'm a former boxer who boxed at a decent level, I have coached two kids from scratch to win national titles, I have been a huge fan of the sport since the early 1980s, I have attended countless boxing shows from the local amateurs in a pub to world title fights abroad, I have an enormous collection of Boxing News magazines weighing down my book shelves, probably 95% of my posts here are on the Boxing forum..... anyway, you get the jist, I know what I'm talking about.

I personally watched the fight on a dodgy stream. I missed the first two rounds and between the bad quality picture and the rather biased and very nervous commentating I initially thought Persoon won the fight. However, the following week's Boxing News (by far and away the best boxing publication in the world) marked the fight in Taylor's favour. This made me go back and re-watch the fight once it came out on Youtube. Most importantly, I watched it with the sound muted, something I feel very strongly about. I marked it to Katie by 1 point. I then created a post about it on the Boxing forum...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110557657

There wasn't any major disagreement.

It certainly was a very close fight and I don't have an issue with someone believing Persoon won, but to call it the worst decision since Roy Jones' notorious loss in Seoul 88 is frankly ridiculous!

And for the record, I think Bennett was more deserving.

The majority of boxing experts gave Persoon the fight. You are in the minority. There were numerous quotes and tweets by current and ex pros to that effect.

And the Roy Jones analogy is one many made. KT's entourage made Persoon leave her hotel as they wouldn't share. But people aren't comfortable with hearing that.

I respect boxers like Karl Frampton's opinion. With all due respect you're an anonymous poster.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Even if that was the case, it's a pitiful excuse! They could at least picked a photo of him not wearing a mask! (They managed to find a photo of everyone else without one)

Im not defending the IT guy or Getty but they have nothing got to do with the vote process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Im not defending the IT guy or Getty but they have nothing got to do with the vote process

RTE is a joke organisation and Katie is 1/50 in the bookies to beat stiffs, this country doesn't have any sports stars, so it's kind of an irrelevant award, off the top of my head I can't think of who should have won, but loads of sports were cancelled last year, Paul Stirling the cricketer should win sometime, world class player, made a hundred when Ireland won a one day international against England in Southampton, beating the world champions away is a fine achievement, even though they lost the series 2-1, I don't decide these things, so it doesn't really bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Nah, the award lost its credibility when it was award to members of the GAA in 2005 and, especially in, 2006. GAA players are just amateur athletes from a small pool of athletes base on an island with a small population. Many felt Derval O'Rourke was robbed in 2006.

McGregor became a world-renowned superstar in 2016 and MAA is a safer sport than boxing and plenty of boxers have won our award. The type of people who watch MMA are the same type of people who watch boxing.

Funny how those who bash MMA fans never seem to mention the amount of gangsters involved in the boxing world. Kinahans and Hutchs, for instance.

Hitting someone when they are on the ground is not a sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Taylor is a great boxer but she beats nobody’s. Women’s boxing not competitive

Advertisement