Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bennett robbed at RTE sports awards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

you seem to think that getting man of the match one time and being average teh rest of the season should get you player of the year.
    sam had a great few days or weeks but overall he didnt do that great.
    definetly deserves a mention but its not sports person of the year teritory

Average the rest of the season? I presume you're unaware of the other 4 race wins outside of the TdF and the Vuelta he had last year? And it would definitely have been many more if the season hadn't been curtailed due to Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

but he also entered that race freely.
    its like putting usain bolt in a marathon and saying that he did great for the first few miles but wasnt able to keep up for the rest of it.

he had a great sprint race but not great tour de France.

FFS he entered for his discipline. I suppose Mark Cavendish is a failure in your book. You're talking complete rubbish.

Do you not realise the body type and muscle mass needed for a sprinter that is a hindrance for a climber? The Tour includes more than one race.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That's like saying a goalkeeper shouldn't get player of the season because he didn't score any goals.

But goalkeepers generally don't win player of the season, not at a national level anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Taylor has been utterly dominent in her field for almost a decade in a half, she will go down in history as one of our finest ever athletes along with Sonia O Sullivan and Michelle Smith.

The only reason Bennett is in anyway considered to be her contemporary in his filthy sport is because he is a man and she is a woman. The men of Ireland don’t like to see a woman on top of the pile and they’re grasping at straws to find a man to laud instead.

Is anyone else thinking "Who dafuq is Sam Bennett?"

I honestly have never heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

For the record Sam Bennett finished just over five and a half hours behind the winner of the tour.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

but he also entered that race freely.
    its like putting usain bolt in a marathon and saying that he did great for the first few miles but wasnt able to keep up for the rest of it.

he had a great sprint race but not great tour de France.

It seems you haven't a clue of cycling, so maybe another simile is arguing the winner of the Golden Boot should only go to whoever scores the wining goal in the WC final.

Only people who have actually won major awards in their sports should be considered for “sports person of the year awards,” regardless of the perceived popularity of the sport.

Taylor has been utterly dominent in her field for almost a decade in a half, she will go down in history as one of our finest ever athletes along with Sonia O Sullivan and Michelle Smith.

The only reason Bennett is in anyway considered to be her contemporary in his filthy sport is because he is a man and she is a woman. The men of Ireland don’t like to see a woman on top of the pile and they’re grasping at straws to find a man to laud instead.

Pure BS. A nice simple narrative.

Taylor was a deserved Sports Star of the year in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Katie Taylor beat up an amateur and a semi pro.

Sam Bennett is the fastest man in the world on 2 wheels

I think Joan Mir was quicker in a sport that is more strigent in drug protocols as Andrea Iannone found out.

• Advertisement

Well that shows you know very little about sport. I wouldn't boast!

Arduach wrote: »
    Pure BS. A nice simple narrative.

Taylor was a deserved Sports Star of the year in 2012.

So? Do you think people should only win every competition once? It’s a testament to her ability that she’s still on top nine years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

padd b1975 wrote: »
    For the record Sam Bennett finished just over five and a half hours behind the winner of the tour.

Another person missing the point entirely. That's not relevant to Bennett's successes - I'm not going to make yet another analogy, just do some research before commenting. starting with the various contributors to this thread.

If you think boxing isn't filthy (from a PEDs point of view) you are very naive! That doesn't diminish Taylor's achievements over the years, just as cyclings history shouldn't diminish Bennett's.
    Bennett for me did better, he's the very best at the very top level within his sport and he got there this year. Taylor has been there a while, so for me just maintaining a standard isn't as worthy as getting there for the first time when it comes to something like "sports person of the year". That's nothing to do with Gender.
    Obviously a very subjective award, so anyone can easily make a case either way. I'd have given it to Sam, but not fair to say he was "robbed" either.

Only people who have actually won major awards in their sports should be considered for “sports person of the year awards,” regardless of the perceived popularity of the sport.

People seem to forget Taylor really lost to Delphine Persoon in the first fight. Her entourage ordered her the later out of her hotel because only KT could be there. That was the most outrageous decision since Roy Jones lost to the South Korean for the gold in Seoul 1988.

A lot of you are Katie fans but you have no real research done on her sport. You just swallow the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It seems you haven't a clue of cycling, so maybe another simile is arguing the winner of the Golden Boot should only go to whoever scores the wining goal in the WC final.

It certainly doesn't go to somebody who scored the winner in one game and nothing in the rest of them.

So? Do you think people should only win every competition once? It’s a testament to her ability that she’s still on top nine years later.

Two fights. One against a part time police officer who beat her last year if she had got fair play. Shallow pool of talent also.

I can't believe someone would have the 'confidence' to post on a sports thread and post that!

The irony of writing off Bennett and "his filthy sport" yet lauding Michelle Smith to the heavens. Credibility in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Not sure how you missed an Irish athlete reach the top in one of the worlds largest sports.

Sad reflection on our media really.

Taylor beat up some pro amateurs in her promoters back yard.

Literally young Bennett is national champ, multi tour stage winner, Tdf Green Jersey winner, literally has to beat the best every day he wins and won on the champs.

If your not into cycling it might not mean much. It was so good the whole cycling world stopped and applauded.

A clean cyclist who came up through the Irish scene and supports the sport here.

Wrong gender this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

This post is hilarious.

On the one hand you're calling Michelle Smith one of our finest athletes and on the other you're calling cycling "a filthy sport".

The irony completely lost on you, of course because you're too busy calling all males sexist.

Crazy post.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »

Does this have to be spelled out.

What build is a top cycling sprinter??

What build wins the Tour and is able to climb?

Would you berate Paul O'Connell for not outsprinting Shane Williams??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The irony of condemning Bennett and "his filthy sport" yet lauding Michelle Smith to the heavens. Credibility in short supply.

The past of his sport has nothing to do with it really. Blood passport's etc been there for his entire career. Raced against my brother in underage.

We were joking that were you to look at an equivalent to Taylor achievements this year, it would be like Bennett winning a few national races. Sad

Lundstram wrote: »
    This post is hilarious.

On the one hand you're calling Michelle Smith one of our finest athletes and on the other you're calling cycling "a filthy sport".

The irony completely lost on you, of course because you're too busy calling all males sexist.

Crazy post.

Someone who knows nothing about sport but comes along to bring gender into it.

Sonia O'Sullivan was a world class athlete where there was a large talent pool. None of us have an issue with gender, just ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

My first thought was somebody got mugged in rte, my second was who dafuq is Sam Bennett

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Nobody takes cycling seriously anymore for christ sake. It's a pretend sport akin to WWE wrestling. I'd say there are less drugs been taken on the liffey boardwalk on a daily basis than a stage of the tour de France

Arduach wrote: »
    Well that shows you know very little about sport. I wouldn't boast!

I'd be the first to admit that. But if someone like me knows who Katie Taylor is but doesn't know who Sam Bennett is, is that not a decent reason for her winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bennett's achievement is overblown I think. Yes he did well to win the sprint race, but at the end of the day, how many sprint champions can the lay-man name in cycling? People remember the Tour de France yellow jersey winners, however tarnished some of those may be. I would liken his achievement to a golfer like Luke Donald or Ian Poulter- the former was a world number one in the sport at one stage but never won a Major, while the latter has a great record in the Ryder Cup but again hasn't taken home a Major (and never will).

And you'll now have some wannabe cyclist stars on here lambasting why I am wrong, and are probably the type that wear lycra while negotiating through traffic on the way into work, oblivious that road rules apply to them too. But that's an entirely different topic.

Nobody takes cycling seriously anymore for christ sake. It's a pretend sport akin to WWE wrestling. I'd say there are less drugs been taken on the liffey boardwalk on a daily basis than a stage of the tour de France

Would you take boxing seriously down through the years? Mafia involvement etc?

How about Delphine Persoon being robbed of a world title because KT had all the connections and backing behind her and Persoon part time? You couldn't take that serious could you?

There's doping in rugby, gaa, all endurance and power sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

YakerK wrote: »
    Another person missing the point entirely. That's not relevant to Bennett's successes - I'm not going to make yet another analogy, just do some research before commenting. starting with the various contributors to this thread.

If you think boxing isn't filthy (from a PEDs point of view) you are very naive! That doesn't diminish Taylor's achievements over the years, just as cyclings history shouldn't diminish Bennett's.
    Bennett for me did better, he's the very best at the very top level within his sport and he got there this year. Taylor has been there a while, so for me just maintaining a standard isn't as worthy as getting there for the first time when it comes to something like "sports person of the year". That's nothing to do with Gender.
    Obviously a very subjective award, so anyone can easily make a case either way. I'd have given it to Sam, but not fair to say he was "robbed" either.

My apologies for interrupting the flow of the thread, the highlighted part is what I wish to raise as a concern.

It's your opinion that being successful once is better than maintaining success for almost a decade ? Is that correct ?

If this is your belief then you are most entitled to it, I do disagree with your opinion, but it's acceptable to disagree on things.

• Advertisement

Bennett's achievement is overblown I think. Yes he did well to win the sprint race, but at the end of the day, how many sprint champions can the lay-man name in cycling? People remember the Tour de France yellow jersey winners, however tarnished some of those may be. I would liken his achievement to a golfer like Luke Donald or Ian Poulter- the former was a world number one in the sport at one stage but never won a Major, while the latter has a great record in the Ryder Cup but again hasn't raken home a Major (and never will).

And you'll now have some wannabe cyclist stars on here lambasting why I am wrong, and are probably the type that wear lycra while negotiating through traffic on the way into work, oblivious that road rules apply to them too. But that's an entirely different topic.

How many female world boxing champions can the lay man name?

Advertisement