Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bennett robbed at RTE sports awards

Options
  • 31-01-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Probably going against the populist mob but Katie, while a great sports star did nothing in 2020 compared to the achievements world wide by Sam Bennett. I don't think the anonymous RTE panel put any time into researching what Bennett achieved. At risk of drawing the woke mob, but look realistically, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

If anyone was to rob anything, I'd have assumed it would have been McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I thought Sam had it in the bag, points classification in the Tour along with stage wins in it and the Veulta versus 2 fights.

I wouldn’t begrudge Katie the award, has she won it before? If not it’s probably overdue.

I think Sam achieved more in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Probably going against the populist mob but Katie, while a great sports star did nothing in 2020 compared to the achievements world wide by Sam Bennett. I don't think the anonymous RTE panel put any time into researching what Bennett achieved. At risk of drawing the woke mob, but look realistically, what do you think?

He competes in a sport that Ireland wouldn't have much interest in. He did fabulous to get the green.

While Katie is the darling of Ireland and won every fight to retain her world titles.
    Also she is female

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I heard Rte apologizing during saturday sport for putting up the wrong "stock" photo of him. Seems they made a fcuk up. He should have won it but he had a pair of balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Why should OP apologize? Bennett achieved more in 2020 than Taylor if you try and compare. Katie had a super 2020 no doubt about that, but Bennett made a huge breakthrough. It was the wrong decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Cycling is an absolute joke of a sport, with the amount of ped’s still in cycling the sport cannot be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Katie Taylor beat up an amateur and a semi pro.

Sam Bennett is the fastest man in the world on 2 wheels

Why should OP apologize? Bennett achieved more in 2020 than Taylor if you try and compare. Katie had a super 2020 no doubt about that, but Bennett made a huge breakthrough. It was the wrong decision.

stephen bennet should have got it,if only for that flick over head of the head of kk defence alone

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

I heard Rte apologizing during saturday sport for putting up the wrong "stock" photo of him. Seems they made a fcuk up. He should have won it but he had a pair of balls.

No testosterone shortage there, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Neither boxing nor cycling are proper sports, they kinda just masquerade as sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Neither boxing nor cycling are proper sports, they kinda just masquerade as sports.

Define a "proper sport"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Won the sprint but came 138th in the overall? Should probably learn to cycle up a hill before we start throwing awards at him.

statto25 wrote: »
    Define a "proper sport"

Not darts anyway

begbysback wrote: »
    Not darts anyway

Who mentioned Darts or did ya have a look through my post history?

statto25 wrote: »
    Who mentioned Darts or did ya have a look through my post history?

Haha, has I’ve never checked a post history in my life, close to the bone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I didn't think people actually took any notice of these things a bit like the car of the year.. Love the aul darts myself.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I didn't think people actually took any notice of these things a bit like the car of the year.. Love the aul darts myself.

Me too, love darts, but cmon it’s not a sport

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

was he not banned or punished for something un sportsmanlike

begbysback wrote: »
    Haha, has I’ve never checked a post history in my life, close to the bone?

Sorry yeah a little bit! Huge darts fan but not a sport. Cannot be dismissed for the amount of time the pros put in though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Won the sprint but came 138th in the overall? Should probably learn to cycle up a hill before we start throwing awards at him.

That's like saying a goalkeeper shouldn't get player of the season because he didn't score any goals. Or like saying the yellow jersey winner shouldn't get it because he didn't many stages.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

was he not banned or punished for something un sportsmanlike

Had a stage win the Vuelta taken from him for elbowing/nudging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Sam Hain wrote: »

I know it's early into 2021, but this is prime contender for dumbest post of the year.

That's like saying a goalkeeper shouldn't get player of the season because he didn't score any goals. Or like saying the yellow jersey winner shouldn't get it because he didn't many stages.

you seem to think that getting man of the match one time and being average teh rest of the season should get you player of the year.
    sam had a great few days or weeks but overall he didnt do that great.
    definetly deserves a mention but its not sports person of the year teritory

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

you seem to think that getting man of the match one time and being average teh rest of the season should get you player of the year.
    sam had a great few days or weeks but overall he didnt do that great.
    definetly deserves a mention but its not sports person of the year teritory

You obviously don't understand cycling at all!

YakerK wrote: »
    You obviously don't understand cycling at all!

your probably correct but that doesnt change anything

in soccer terms he had a few great games and a man of the match. but over the course of the season finished in the bottom half of the table.

im not knocking him. he did great and represented us great but someone actually winning something should be higher up the rankings than someone who came 134 th out of 200 in a race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

in soccer terms he had a few great games and a man of the match. but over the course of the season finished in the bottom half of the table.

im not knocking him. he did great and represented us great but someone actually winning something should be higher up the rankings than someone who came 134 th out of 200 in a race

It's a prestigious race within a race. Sprinters aren't built to climb hills, hence they lose time on the mountains and are lower on GC (general classification). Some unbelievably uninformed posts here.

The talent pool in ladies boxing is miniscule compared to cycling. Like comparing a GAA player of the year to someone who makes a premiership side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

In a hole and still digging. :pac:

Because you don't understand cycling, you've made a soccer comparison that is completely wrong though. It's difficult to make an analogy to soccer as they are just so fundamentally different.

If you were to make a comparison, it would be more like saying that the teams top scorer in a season shouldn't be considered for player of the year because they didn't score the winning goal every game. 

A better analogy might be to say Usain Bolt isn't a great athlete because he doesn't have any medals in the olympic marathon.

Arduach wrote: »
    It's a prestigious race within a race. Sprinters aren't built to climb hills, hence they lose time on the mountains and are lower on GC (general classification). Some unbelievably uninformed posts here.

The talent pool in ladies boxing is miniscule compared to cycling. Like comparing a GAA player of the year to someone who makes a premiership side.

but he also entered that race freely.
    its like putting usain bolt in a marathon and saying that he did great for the first few miles but wasnt able to keep up for the rest of it.

he had a great sprint race but not great tour de France.

• Advertisement

its like putting usain bolt in a marathon and saying that he did great for the first few miles but wasnt able to keep up for the rest of it.

No, it's more like saying Usain Bolt had a grand olympics because he won the 100m, the 200m and the relay, but not a great olympics because he didn't do so well at the marathon.

Tour de France has a few competitions within it. Sam won one of them. He wasn't competing for the other one.

Advertisement