Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bennett robbed at RTE sports awards

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

Arduach wrote: »
    Not for a minute. RTE in 2025 facing questioning for picking somone, in good faith, as sports person of the year for 2020??

If that was the case anyone who praised Michelle Smith, like Gary O'Toole, Bill O'Herlihy and countless others in RTE in 1996, should have been stood down.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/courage-of-an-honest-athlete-1.181775

and thats dated 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Bennett's achievement is overblown I think. Yes he did well to win the sprint race, but at the end of the day, how many sprint champions can the lay-man name in cycling? People remember the Tour de France yellow jersey winners, however tarnished some of those may be. I would liken his achievement to a golfer like Luke Donald or Ian Poulter- the former was a world number one in the sport at one stage but never won a Major, while the latter has a great record in the Ryder Cup but again hasn't taken home a Major (and never will).

And you'll now have some wannabe cyclist stars on here lambasting why I am wrong, and are probably the type that wear lycra while negotiating through traffic on the way into work, oblivious that road rules apply to them too. But that's an entirely different topic.

I would counter that with Katie almost losing to a part time boxer and beating an oldy who had never even fought outside Spain.

Katie a full time elite pro beat a few pro ams and barely in one case.

Bennett achievement was at least against the best in his sport.

Not some second rate and has been in Eddie's back yard.

Honestly I love Katie but this was a farce.

And I don't even own a bicycle haha.

Tom O Neil wrote: »
    Why do boomers hate MMA but are completely ok with boxing?

Maybe they really dislike the man rather than the sport. And only know the sport due to that man.

McGregor did well in his sport years ago at this stage, has done more bad than good in the real world since - from a good idol perspective (my personal opinion)

I think he raised mma profile, all others in sort paid better now. But in recent times he lost the plot a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Neagra wrote: »

Swimming was Gary's sport, so he felt more obligation.

An anonymous panel of mixed sports, not so obliged.

RTE put on massive coverage the evening Bennett won the final stage of the Tour in September. Also the presentation. I don't for a minute think future drugs scandals entered their minds.

Also McGregor won in 2015 and his reputation, even then wasn't the cleanest.

Chris Froome wins a few titles, and people were saying it should be taken with a pinch of salt given the doping history in the sport. Remember the asthma medication?

Sam Bennett comes out of nowhere to win the sprints title of the Tour de France, having never contended for it before, and all of sudden there isn't any accusations of doping in the sport.

The sport lost it's credibility years ago.

In fairness your point of view is dated and to say Sam came from nowhere shows you don't follow the sport in any way.

Thus your opinion will be a bit warped. Same prob applied to the panel.

But Katie almost lost to a cop and beat a 37 Yr old who never fought outside here own nation prior. All that in her bosses back yard. And considering she is an elite pro that is a poor year at best. That alone shows she didn't deserve it.

At least Sam Bennett bet the best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I would contend that Bennett winning the sprints classification having never come close to doing so before is the definition of "coming out of nowhere".

And I wasn't implying that he was doping, only that we can't downplay Froome from winning a few Tour titles due to the doping culture in the sport, but at the same time ignore the possibility, however slim, of it happening when Bennett wins.

I would contend that Bennett winning the sprints classification having never come close to doing so before is the definition of "coming out of nowhere".

And I wasn't implying that he was doping, only that we can't downplay Froome from winning a few Tour titles due to the doping culture in the sport, but at the same time ignore the possibility, however slim, of it happening when Bennett wins.

Sure he has. He has been a sprinter his entire career. I have literally seen the lad since he was young.

Your showing your myself up fir just hating cyclists now. Haha you haven't a clue about the sport.

I didn't know froome was up for the award - did you dream that - as otherwise he has no purpose in this convo.

This year Sam Bennett achieved far more than a poor Katie Taylor year. Simple really.

You've missed his national champs win, his stage wins in tour down under, vuelta stage wins, so on and so on.

If you weren't so lazy you could have googled him and sounded a bit more informed haha.

Such a second rate troll... You need a new game. Only rte could award you for this performance. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

And you'll now have some wannabe cyclist stars on here lambasting why I am wrong, and are probably the type that wear lycra while negotiating through traffic on the way into work, oblivious that road rules apply to them too. But that's an entirely different topic.

Why bring it up at all then?

I am not interested in MMA but the people who hate it all seem to be much older than me, like 50+. It's a generational thing I guess, but what is about the sport that makes them seethe so much?

They will probably say it's violent, it's run by gangsters, the competitors are scumbags....but isn't the same true for boxing?

100% and boxing more corrupt. Hate it all they like but mma fighters take lumps out of each other for pittance and most of the time shake hands after. Think mcgregor mouth warped opinions too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,373 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Probably going against the populist mob but Katie, while a great sports star did nothing in 2020 compared to the achievements world wide by Sam Bennett. I don't think the anonymous RTE panel put any time into researching what Bennett achieved. At risk of drawing the woke mob, but look realistically, what do you think?

As a very casual observer of both sports (boxing/cycling) I would agree with you. In a year where the main sports in Ireland were underwhelming to say the least, this was a perfect opportunity missed to look at another sport which Ireland gives minimal attention to.

You could argue of course that boxing is the similar situation. But in the case of Katie Taylor v Sam Bennett. It is clear what has happened the bigger more recognisable name won. Which is ironic considering Katie Taylor has often gave out about RTE's coverage and treatment of boxing.

I think by RTE logic if Sam Bennett won, many people would say who? They clearly wanted someone with a 'profile'. To give the award an aura of recognition to the general population.

It seemed they were stuck for a recognisable name from the GAA, Soccer, Rugby or Horse Racing so said 'ah sure we will pick Katie everyone know the name. Plus there will not be much knowledge about the sport compared to main ones - so we can get away with it'.

It does smack of that because even as casual observer in little snippets of reports on Bennett, he had a great year. When even the likes of me took notice it surely says something. Someone who would not be into cycling.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Heres his "coming from nowhere" palmares
    Notwithstanding being somewhat of an understudy to Sagan at Bora necessitating his move to Deceuninck–Quick-Step.

1st Rund um Köln

Giro d'Italia
    1st Stages 7, 12 & 21

Tour of Turkey
    1st Points classification
    1st Stages 2, 3 & 6

7th Eschborn–Frankfurt

1st MaillotIrland Road race, National Road Championships

BinckBank Tour
    1st Points classification
    1st Stages 1, 2 & 3

Tour of Turkey
    1st Jersey Points classification
    1st Stages 1 & 2

Vuelta a España1st Stages 3 & 14

Paris–Nice 1st Stages 3 & 6

1st Stage 3 Critérium du Dauphiné
    1st Stage 7 UAE Tour
    1st Stage 7 Vuelta a San Juan
    2nd London–Surrey Classic
    6th Road race, UEC European Road Championships
    10th Rund um Köln

1st Race Torquay

Tour de France
    Jersey green Points classification
    1st Stages 10 & 21
    1st Stage 4 Vuelta a España
    1st Stage 1 Tour Down Under
    1st Stage 3 Tour de Wallonie
    1st Stage 4 Vuelta a Burgos
    8th Scheldeprijs

Beating the best of the best
    Katie "won" two fights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'd agree that Sam Bennett should have got it. Some of the arguments against why he shouldn't have here are loltastic. I wouldn't even entertain them with a response or counter argument.

I'm by far a cycling enthusiast but would call myself a fair weather fan. People here have no idea the levels you need to get to where Sam Bennett is today. I'm sure a few of the cyling lads here know better but the level of forces they generate to get up to full speed are nothing short of miraculous and for him to be champion sprinter n the TDF is some achievement.

Even for him to get to the end of the last tour was an achievement based on how fierce that particular tour was with nearly daily climbs.

Nothing against god loving katie, but she fits the bill nicely for awards like this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think he has won enough with his white male privilege...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

you seem to think that getting man of the match one time and being average teh rest of the season should get you player of the year. sam had a great few days or weeks but overall he didnt do that great. definetly deserves a mention but its not sports person of the year teritory

I think the OP was talking about achievements in 2020 as it was SPOTY. He makes a fair point and it was nothing to do with gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's amazing the lack of knowledge some people who decided to post on here, imagine not knowing who Sam Bennett is and then saying Katie deserved to win it. I didn't realise the RTE sports awards were on, but, not surprising they gave it to Katie, it was the lazy and easy decision to make. In my opinion Sam clearly deserved to win it, but, I knew he probably wouldn't as he's not a big enough name, as has been clearly demonstrated here. Katie didn't really do much to win the award for 2020, but, she's a recognizable name to the general public and no one would really despute her getting it even if it was undeserved.

It's just absolutely staggering the lack of knowledge some posters have showed on here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

YakerK wrote: »
    No, it's more like saying Usain Bolt had a grand olympics because he won the 100m, the 200m and the relay, but not a great olympics because he didn't do so well at the marathon.

Tour de France has a few competitions within it. Sam won one of them. He wasn't competing for the other one.

So like winning one event in the decathlon?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

So like winning one event in the decathlon?

No, because decathlon is a single sport, there are no medels or prizes on offer for winning just one.

It's like winning the 100m at the olympics. It's not a failure if you don't also win the marathon or high jump as you don't win the overall "olympics' '.

Sam won the points competition at the tour. Tadaj Pogacar won the General Classification and the KOM competition. They are separate prizes within the same overall event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think it was more embarrassing that they got the wrong cyclist on the photo of him. They had put up Remi Cavagna instead of Bennett and missed the obvious photo of Bennett in Paris in the green jersey. On international forums for cycling, people were laughing at the sh1tness of RTE for that.

Taylor fought two fights this year so imo shouldn't have got it over Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

begbysback wrote: »
    Cycling is an absolute joke of a sport, with the amount of ped’s still in cycling the sport cannot be taken seriously.

Same can be said of boxing, rugby & soccer...also the GAA as well

I am not interested in MMA but the people who hate it all seem to be much older than me, like 50+. It's a generational thing I guess, but what is about the sport that makes them seethe so much?

They will probably say it's violent, it's run by gangsters, the competitors are scumbags....but isn't the same true for boxing?

At a guess, I'd say it's the hitting lads when they're on the ground, a complete no-no in boxing and a bit of a shock when you see it in MMA.

I'm not sure why either sport is allowed these days really. With all the focus on CTE in contact sports, lads being punched and kicked in the head non-stop isn't considered a major issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

titan18 wrote: »
    Think it was more embarrassing that they got the wrong cyclist on the photo of him. They had put up Remi Cavagna instead of Bennett and missed the obvious photo of Bennett in Paris in the green jersey. On international forums for cycling, people were laughing at the sh1tness of RTE for that.

Taylor fought two fights this year so imo shouldn't have got it over Bennett

That's absolutely shocking that RTE did that, shows that didn't really put much consideration into their decision

YakerK wrote: »
    No, because decathlon is a single sport, there are no medels or prizes on offer for winning just one.

It's like winning the 100m at the olympics. It's not a failure if you don't also win the marathon or high jump as you don't win the overall "olympics' '.

Sam won the points competition at the tour. Tadaj Pogacar won the General Classification and the KOM competition. They are separate prizes within the same overall event.

Whether you intend winning or not by racing in the TdF you are automatically competing in all the categories and the yellow jersey is the overall prize, something which the Olympics doesn't have.

Even swimming doesn't have an overall winner, despite athletes entering multiple disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How is it coming out of nowhere though ? It’s been spoken of how he’s enjoyed success and achievements in multiple races across the globe...before his achievement of winning the green jersey on the tour... those results and achievements have been posted. He’s literally been winning races and stages on tour for about 5-6 years, reasonably consistently too.

He’s 30, he’s stepped in up this year in the Tour De France , fair play to him... instead of accusing him of possible wrong doing I’d rather support and celebrate his victories and achievements based on what we know... talent and ability ahead of innuendo and indeed falsehoods. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

Whether you intend winning or not by racing in the TdF you are automatically competing in all the categories and the yellow jersey is the overall prize, something which the Olympics doesn't have.

True, but not winning all prizes doesn't devalue winning one of them. It's just not the same as other sports, so comparisons are unfair - but saying it's "more like" winning an event in the olympics rather than the olympics overall is the easiest way to explain it to those who don't (or maybe refuse) to understand it.

Edit - there is no "overall" prize, although the General Classification is sometimes referred to as such. They are different prizes within the same event.

Anyway - it's been explained enough times. Bennett's year was very worthy of winning the SPOTY award. Whether it was more worthy than Taylors is up for debate, but anyone trying to talk down his achievements is either an ill informed idiot (which is inexcusable on this thread given it's been explained multiple times by multiple posters) or a troll. Either way I'm checking out of this one!  

Even swimming doesn't have an overall winner, despite athletes entering multiple disciplines.

Grand Tours are unusual, and pretty unique. There are several races within a race, both the overall yellow Jersey, and the other classifications. Finishing one is an achievement in itself, in endurance and suffering.

Strangely not everyone competing in the TdF is competing to win it. Some even enter to help someone else win it. Teams have different riders targeting different stages with different roles, both for a given stage, and part of the overall plan.

Climbers haven't a hope against sprinters n a flat stage, and vice versa uphill. Watching the sprinters as a group rolling across the line, hours behind the winners gives an idea of what's going on.

The one day Spring classics are the best to watch IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

People actually care enough about cycling to dope. Can't say the same about foxy-boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

The whole Awards Show was slapdash.

Not even a montage of Irish and International sports stars who died in 2020. Jerry Kiernan???

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Strumms wrote: »
    Because the achievements on the tour are not limited to the ‘general classification’

His achievements and focus ultimately was winning the green jersey, the jersey awarded for points classification. He won and achieved it. His tactics were in line with that. ;)

Brendan "top of the quality league" Rogers here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's amazing the lack of knowledge some people who decided to post on here, imagine not knowing who Sam Bennett is and then saying Katie deserved to win it. I didn't realise the RTE sports awards were on, but, not surprising they gave it to Katie, it was the lazy and easy decision to make. In my opinion Sam clearly deserved to win it, but, I knew he probably wouldn't as he's not a big enough name, as has been clearly demonstrated here. Katie didn't really do much to win the award for 2020, but, she's a recognizable name to the general public and no one would really despute her getting it even if it was undeserved.

It's just absolutely staggering the lack of knowledge some posters have showed on here.

This thread was posted in AH rather than the relevant sports forum. If OP wanted the big audience, then there are going to be people replying who don’t know who he is talking about but do know Katie Taylor.

I personally couldn’t possibly say who should have won, not knowing enough about either sport, but I’m taken with a number of the posts in this thread where people seem aghast that others haven’t heard of Sam Bennett. Cycling is a particularly niche sport. If somebody posts about it in AH, there will inevitably be “Who?” type responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,895 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Neagra wrote: »
    i believe some in rte wanted to pick bennett but given the serious doping issues in the sport there would be a genuine fear bennett could get caught down the line and rte and whoever the judges are would take serious flak for choosing bennett
    this is not a swipe at cycling or bennett - but just cycling has been at the forefront of sport doping.
    it is ingrained in the sport.
    taylor is a worthy winner anyway but also the safer the option
    Who are these "some in RTE" and where do you get this juicy insider info from ?

He didnt race the TdF most years cause his team had 7 time points winner Sagan and Sams career actually has a very steady progression from his days at An Post up
    Also its the points classification not the "sprints classification"

Girly Gal wrote: »
    That's absolutely shocking that RTE did that, shows that didn't really put much consideration into their decision
    No it doesnt. The people picking the winner and the people picking the photo are 2 different groups who may not have even met before. The picture came of Sam Bennetts Getty Images site so it was probably some lad from IT who saw the only picture of "Sam" with a medal and went with it.

Advertisement