Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

IMG_20210629_193018.jpg

IMG_20210629_192912.jpg

IMG_20210629_192906.jpg

not long now... these were taken yesterday evening, road marking put on,
    look finished to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Looks good. Hopefully there's better signage that that, as I see nothing to inform ICE drivers not to park there

ELM327 wrote: »
    Looks good. Hopefully there's better signage that that, as I see nothing to inform ICE drivers not to park there

its a pretty big car park there, but yes, it will be very tempting spot for ICEing im sure, especially at busy times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Signs lying on the ground just past the barrow in the foreground

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Looks like Cork Superchargers are now live, some of the Tesla owners group are currently trying them out on site

• Advertisement

Great news, just opened my Tesla App to see if it was there and nope, but 7 Tesla's currently charging at Irish SuC's

wassie wrote: »
    My guess for Athenry will be at the Raheen Roods Hotel - they already do destination charging, have the carpark space to accommodate a stall and will be able to provide facilities i.e. toilets and refreshments.

Gold star for you....8 stalls, 2 cabinets so looks like 4 V3 stalls and 4 destination chargers?

http://www.eplanning.ie/GalwayCC/AppFileRefDetails/211046/0

slave1 wrote: »
    Gold star for you....8 stalls, 2 cabinets so looks like 4 V3 stalls and 4 destination chargers?

http://www.eplanning.ie/GalwayCC/AppFileRefDetails/211046/0
    It's likely to be 8 stalls, as there are 4 V3 units per cabinet

"8 no. car parking spaces, 8 no. Tesla illuminated charger points, 8 no. Tesla parking sign posts, 2 no. supercharger cabinets,"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

I've been asked a few questions about this and don't know the answers.

Can you reduce the charge a Tesla takes from a supercharger or does the car decide what's best? The Athenry site is close enough to the train station so in theory could you plug in, walk away and come back 5 or 6 hours later? Why bother driving into Galway when you could get the train in and out if the timetable suits?

Are there any overstay fees charged on the superchargers?

cannco253 wrote: »
    The Athenry site is close enough to the train station so in theory could you plug in, walk away and come back 5 or 6 hours later?

Popcorn time
    cannco253 wrote: »
    Are there any overstay fees charged on the superchargers?

Yes, highly penal.
    Idle fees apply to any car occupying a Supercharger if the station is at 50% capacity or more and the charge session is complete. Idle fees double when the station is at 100% capacity. 50c/€1 minute in Ireland with no upper limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

slave1 wrote: »
    but 7 Tesla's currently charging at Irish SuC's

None in Birdhill anyway!

8uAc5lM.jpg

4b is uncovered. Have they re-enabled a 7th & is that the reason one of the Applegreen 50kW units is kaput I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭innrain

Kramer wrote: »
    None in Birdhill anyway!

8uAc5lM.jpg

4b is uncovered. Have they re-enabled a 7th & is that the reason one of the Applegreen 50kW units is kaput I wonder?
    No I have tried it and got an error something like "check power supply". That was on 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

I'll be passing Mahon Point later today and will report how it goes with these new SuCs. No sign of the location at Tesla yet and I don't know the area so might be tough to even find them... Going to check the MPSC website for clues.

Edit: based on the photos and google maps it looks like the chargers are right at the North entrance to the shopping centre just about here

sh81722 wrote: »
    I'll be passing Mahon Point later today and will report how it goes with these new SuCs. No sign of the location at Tesla yet and I don't know the area so might be tough to even find them... Going to check the MPSC website for clues.

Tried them out last night, 3 of the 4 are working.
    I wasn't getting great speed as battery high SOC, another person ,(model 3) reported 110kw at 45% battery.

Not n the app yet this morning so no preconditioning possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Tried them out last night, 3 of the 4 are working.
    I wasn't getting great speed as battery high SOC, another person ,(model 3) reported 110kw at 45% battery.

Not n the app yet this morning so no preconditioning possible

Thanks for the heads up. Amazeballs, as we are heading to stay in Bantry which is a true charging desert at the moment with one AC dual unit. These SuCs at Mahon Point are just the ticket, and a timely one too for us personally.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mahon Point is live in the car, and can be Navigated to (Pre-Conditioned).

....so here we have a Supercharger site that was constructed and went live in little to no time...... and largely was under the radar until the units themselves appeared onsite.... They can do it if they want.

I can't help but feel that another 3-4 sites, in or around Sligo, Tralee, Waterford & Derry would be enough to give complete countrywide coverage.

557258.png

At that point all you'd need would be site expansion as and when required....

Then when all that's done, you might start thinking about 1-2 more Dublin sites, like the M50/M1 interchange, which serves the airport etc... and perhaps a central Dublin site in or around the port.

Would expect one on the N/M11 as well.
    TBH I'd be concerned that 4 for the whole of cork and SW is not enough and there will be queues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What's the traffic like at Mahon Point when it's busy? Would you be queuing to get into the car park ever?

TBH I'd be concerned that 4 for the whole of cork and SW is not enough and there will be queues

Agree. It's the first 'city' location, and as such, locals will regularly use it because simply it's close by!!! I'd expect this site to be busy particularly over weekends.....

Hopefully they see the increased usage and immediately put plans in place to expand it to 8 stalls.

• Advertisement

I know if I were in cork and had free supercharging, I'd be using this during my shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Agree. It's the first 'city' location, and as such, locals will regularly use it because simply it's close by!!! I'd expect this site to be busy particularly over weekends.....

Hopefully they see the increased usage and immediately put plans in place to expand it to 8 stalls.

Double agree with both of you, but 4 is better than zero.
    Lets just get the country covered and increase if they need to.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Double agree with both of you, but 4 is better than zero.
    Lets just get the country covered and increase if they need to.
    Oh for sure, a chance of charging at a 4 stall supercharger is better than trying to top up at a SPOF ecars/easygo 50kW unit to make sure we make it back to ballacolla

Like i've done a few times - had quite a few same necessary day return trips to cork .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

No works started yet unfortunately at the Johnstown Estate, Enfield site on the M4.

Too soon, don't they have to wait for objections?

Getting into mahon point just before xmas or any busy time especially when the schools are off can be a nightmare.

Not every Tesla driver has free supercharging, so I won't be using it as a local unless I'm really stuck.

Do people with referral codes get overstay charges to?

Yes, applies to everyone.
    The car will dictate the cost when selecting destination on the screen e.g. if you have free SuC for like (like me) then no SuC cost comes up but the Overstay fee does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Getting into mahon point just before xmas or any busy time especially when the schools are off can be a nightmare.

Not every Tesla driver has free supercharging, so I won't be using it as a local unless I'm really stuck.

One owner is suing Tesla over the idle fee, but I don't think he'll be successful:
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132725_owner-suing-tesla-over-supercharger-fees-is-idle-time-part-of-free-charging

Well it's free charging not free parking, typical US attorney out for quick buck, good man Tesla for not settling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭innrain

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/where-are-all-the-tesla-cars-1.4607874
    Not a bit of editorial fact checking or point of view.

Advertisement