Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Selfishly, this may/will cost me an occasional 20 mins' extra wait at a supercharger.

But, selfishly, the only reason I got an EV was to do my bit for climate change.

So, if EV-adoption generally is given another little push by this initiative, I'm in favour! Even if it means I arrive 20 mins later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah. We are a tiny country with a poor charging infrastructure. The Tesla charging model works very well here and is located fairly good.

It's getting busier all the time with Tesla drivers. God knows what it will be like in the summer if it's open to everyone. There are 6 stalls in Birdhill. I've seen 5 cars charging there at once. Now imagine Ford's, BMW's, Hyundai's, Opel's, Renault's, Volvo's and numerous other cars now being able to use these. The ESB will be in no panic to roll out anything at a decent pace.

If Tesla do become the dominant supercharging network in Ireland, does anyone believe that Ionity etc will bother trying to compete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭cannco253

Was sent this earlier, also on IEVOA Facebook page.

Ioniq charging at Tesla Supercharger today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Tesla cheaper than Ionity....

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

They want people to use it so. Ionity pricing model make no sense of they want to drive adoption (at least in Ireland where there's a lack of manufacturers reduced rates).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There will be a revolt from current Tesla owners because in many cases it was not just the car that swayed a Tesla purchase, it was the exclusive, never having to wait SuC network.

That is now gone so the likes of Ioniq5, EV6, ID4 trump Tesla from many perspectives.

But you try and charge a rear right charge port car at a SuC, it’s impossible without taking two spaces up, even likes of Kona would be stretching it. Guaranteed we will see photos of some dick parallel parking whilst charging too and that’s 3 spaces gone.

If it does turn out unpatrolled like the above current Tesla owners will simply go for alternative EV next time around. I’ve used 11 separate SuC hubs and never come close to waiting, that’s why I drive a Tesla, end of.

…and I forgot to mention that all Tesla’s fast charge, imagine being queued because of a slow Ioniq38 charging at 40kW when even my 2015 T can peak past 120kw and sustain high charging rates………..and could you imagine queuing because of an Outlander

EDIT Brainfart moment there mentioning Outlander (CHAdeMO connection)

Post edited by slave1 on

So from a search I’ve seen 7 images of non Tesla’s charging, 5 were blocking two stalls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How will they revolt? Hassle Tesla on social media? Block non Tesla cars in if they plug in?

Unless a Tesla owner signed a contract guaranteeing exclusive use of the SUC they they've no real grounds to complain.

Something like this was always going to happen as companies want to lock in new revenue streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

By not buying a Tesla again, it says so right in his post. I wouldn't bother buying another one after this, the supercharger networks is the thing Tesla are lightyears ahead of the competition with. Not the cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,725 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It looks like it’s only going to happen with sites with more than 10 stalls… which would make sense as in Europe there are 20+ stall sites….. which probably sit idle for large parts of the day… so these sites can absorb 2 stalls being blocked by 1 car charging, and be largely unaffected by it.

Ireland will never have a SuC site with 10 stalls or more because we simply won’t need them. As of today the shortest WLTP range car Tesla sells is 491km, so there’ll never be a case for more than a Ballacolla sized SuC site here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Same here.

The wife currently drives a diesel BMW but wants to change to electric. She was looking at the Model S. Purchase driven solely by the supercharger at birdhill (it's ideal for our trips to Kerry). When I told her about the network possibly opening she has started looking at the offerings from Audi and also BMW.

I suspect she's not the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Outlanders and Leafs are CHAdeMO, so won't be able to charge at SuC, thank the Technoking for small mercies 😂

100%, Tesla no longer make the best EVs, gone are the days when the rivals were Leaf's and Ioniqs (no disrespect to the classic Ioniq)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭innrain

I can drive to Kerry without stopping charging. In 6 months I used SuC twice just to see how it is. It is good to know it is there and it is a great selling point but I don't think it needs to be a closed system. I moved from iOS just because it was one. Anyway I don't think it will open here in Ireland soon anyway and I'm pretty sure they will smooth out all these kinks with longer cables, better position for the stalls.

Regards of better cars bring on the competition. End users will benefit. For me the the tech in the car is more important than what others would appreciate in a beamer.

On another topic I drove past shop in Sandyford and and there is no indication of any work happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is just nonsense, and the pictures I've seen online (probably the same ones we've all seen) show cars parked across two spots, parked in the right spot but using the "wrong" stall etc do nothing but further my disdain for this.

The only reason to buy a Tesla as a premium car as opposed to other marques or non EV, is the convenience of the SuC network. No waiting, only teslas can charge there so the orientation of the spots and cables suit, etc.

Now if I want to buy another Tesla, which is in doubt, it must either have enough range to never need fast charging, or have free transferable supercharging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Musk got into manufacturing EVs to speed up the adoption of electric vehicles . This was always part of the plan. I applaud him .

Doesn’t alter my plans for the cybertuck at all.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This was always going to happen, whether it be via a regulatory change or Tesla choosing to do it themselves. Tesla are at least in control of the process by pre-empting the regulators. Statements made by Tesla owners such as ELM327 are exactly why regulators see discriminatory access networks as a barrier to competition.

The only reason to buy a Tesla as a premium car as opposed to other marques or non EV, is the convenience of the SuC network. No waiting, only teslas can charge there so the orientation of the spots and cables suit, etc.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hopefully this 'rebellion' means lots of cheap 2nd hand model 3s on sale in a few years when I finally ditch the Ioniq 😀

• Advertisement

The Tesla drivers can use the other networks so it's fair play that the reverse also happens in my opinion. The T. convenience of just rocking on a SuC and without faffing about with apps and fobs still remains and perhaps now we'll get more badly needed sites in North and NW so this will be good for anybody with a CCS car.

The CHAdeMO users are the only losers here I think. I also think that SuC should have chosen per minute charging for the 3rd party but I guess fair is fair. My only complaint is that the subscriber rate per kWh for the third party seems too cheap especially compared to Ionity.

They want to take all the Ionity users that's why the subscription and rate is lower though.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

ELM227: The only reason to buy a Tesla as a premium car as opposed to other marques or non EV, is the convenience of the SuC network. No waiting, only teslas can charge there so the orientation of the spots and cables suit, etc.

You mean "the only reason for you (and some others)". You are stating as black and white something that simply is clearly not true for all. For example, I bought a Tesla M3 and the supercharging network played no part in why I bought it. For many, I suspect the supercharging network was a nice bonus but not a deciding factor.

Anyway, it all sounds like much ado over nothing as this sharing is unlikely to come to Ireland and in other countries will be limited to large supercharger installations

Indeed. The standard Ionity rate seemed at the time an attack to the non-members while these announced 3rd party SuC rates are almost an opposite to this.

I preordered the tri motor cybertruck so can get to one side of the country from the other without fast charging anyway. Doesnt alter my plans there but thats not gonna be here for 2+ years. Look how long the M3 and MY took

I thought Tesla was viewed as having the best EV cars available, and that the Supercharger network was one reason but not the only reason people were buying them?

The cars haven’t changed. If opening up provides more income to provide more Superchargers then surely this is a good thing for Tesla and non Tesla drivers.

The TechnoKing owns the network, drivers use the network. This was telegraphed all year and was rubbished by lots of people. I think everyone has been caught by surprise at how quick and easy this has happened, a simple app is all it took.

The deal with Hertz and the current order book means they need to expand the network faster then before.

from Electrek

"During Tesla’s Q3 2021 earnings call yesterday, investors asked Tesla about what they are doing to prevent congestion at Superchargers.

It has been a problem in some regions where Tesla owners can experience long wait times for a charge during high traffic times.

Drew Baglino, Tesla’s senior vice president of powertrain and battery engineering, responded:“On the Supercharger side, the supercharging team monitors congestion and plans expansion to ensure customer experience with minimal wait times alongside the growth in our vehicle fleet. While we certainly have work to do in expanding capacity in some congested areas, average congestion on the network has decreased over the past 18 months. Nonetheless, we’re not standing still.”

The engineering executive then announced Tesla’s plan to triple the size of the network within the next two years:

“We are executing on accelerating expansion plans globally. The network has doubled in the last 18 months, and we are planning to triple it over the next two years. And even so on an individual-site basis to combat existing congestion more quickly where it is isolated and problematic, we expedite local relief sites, deploy mobile Superchargers, and we try to introduce pricing strategies that encourage more off-peak usage to avoid the waiting.”

That’s an ambitious goal considering Tesla ended the last quarter with 29,281 Superchargers at 3,254 locations worldwide. That’s a 50% increase over the last year.

and TechCrunch

During the earnings call in July, Andrew Baglino, Tesla’s senior VP of powertrain and energy engineering, made the case that opening the Supercharger network to non-Teslas could result in lower electricity costs overall.

“Increasing the utilization of the network actually reduces our costs, which allows us to lower charging prices for our customers and make the network more profitable, allows us to grow the network faster,” he said. “And no matter what, we’re going to continue to aggressively expand the network capacity, increasing charging speeds, improving the trip planning tools to protect against site congestion using dynamic pricing, as Elon mentioned.”

"I thought Tesla was viewed as having the best EV cars available, and that the Supercharger network was one reason but not the only reason people were buying them?"

That was the case for sure, now we have the likes of ETron, Taycan, EQC at the top, better than Tesla in many respects, then the likes of EV6, Ioniq 5, ID4 etc better in some respects. What Tesla always had to tip the balance was the SuC network, now this is ceded all the rivals gain ground.

Time will tell on this adventure, as a nearly 5year EV owner I do not want to queue, there a lot of things I can place a value on in life but waiting is a sin and a waste I have great distaste for.

Never having to wait, all cars generally parked and charging correctly to ensure correct usage, plenty of spare capacity to ensure quick turnover.

That's now gone. That for me removes the option of buying a Tesla without either a) free supercharging or b) enough range that I never have to fast charge. My longest trip in the past 3 years is about 750km in a day.

I wonder actually, once there (if there) is a premium PHEV with enough range to cover most days of my usage (150km) and petrol to cover the one off long trips, that may be a better solution. The X5 45e and new range rover have massive batteries in their PHEVs, over 30kWh in the rangie. I'd view that as more premium than a Tesla.

I sure as heck am not relying on using a non exclusive fast charging network - unless I have free supercharging as if you're not paying you cant really complain!

• Advertisement

I've done a ~700km day drive a few times, 3 stops at SuC, two very short and one long, no waiting, no issues whatsoever, hopefully will experience the same next time, time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

This picture is from 2 years ago, only seen it now. How long was that site out of commission?.

Felix is live on twitter today (you might know him from his Ionity site)

That's just a result of the first ICE space being available, if not the car would take up two spaces...

If there's no one using any of the other chargers then what's the issue? I'm sure the person would move if they were actually stopping another user from charging and wouldn't be staying long anyway if not.

There was a lot of back and forth in other threads here recently about charger etiquette and a lot of people were saying that it should be first come first serve which I agree with but I wouldn't hog a charger either.

• Advertisement

There's no issue with the above (at least from my perspective). However if the ICE was not available then the e-tron would need to take up two charging spots.

If another EV wanted to charge they are provided with real time availability of each SuC location, if there are 4 (for example) stalls then the Tesla App will say there are three available stalls whereas in reality there are only two. If there was (say) the eTron charging in stall 1, blocking stall 2 and a Tesla charging in stall 3 then real time availability is simply incorrect (it will think two available slots). Another EV owner (non-Tesla) would see two available stalls and rightly think they are good to go there for a charge whereas in reality (in the simple scenario above) they cant charge.

If you are familiar with stall layouts then the above may be clear, not the easiest to get across.

I've been to plenty of 2 and 4 stall SuC locations where "mis-parking" would fek things up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I see Ioniq 5/ ev6 have moved to rear right charging, which will not be ideal for SuC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The popular VW id.3 and id.4 both have rear right charging ports, I believe also.

The answer to the location problem is to either....

Replace the current (liquid cooled) cables, but at present they loop exactly inside the SuC stall, if they are lengthened they will flop onto the ground, plus they will become very heavy/wieldy

or

Provide a CCS extension cable for purchase by any non-Tesla EV owner who wishes to use the SuC network

I'd say Tesla know there will be a hogging nightmare but rather than anticipate are waiting for the trial feedback.

It's worse in the States where AFAIK Tesla use a proprietary connection on the vehicle side, so an adapter will be a 100% requirement because I can't see Tesla putting in two cables in their extensive US network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

^^ this, extension cables will solve this hopefully without much loss.

• Advertisement

The issue with an extension cable is that non Tesla drivers can 'buy it' so that they don't inconvenience Tesla owners, or they can not buy it, and occupy 2 spaces while charging their car....

so what do you think they'll do?

Tesla open up Supercharger network to ALL electric vehicles - trials have begun!

RSymons RSEV

Words cannot express the amount of dislike I have for this. I'm currently not even a Tesla owner (we only have herself's Ioniq for the moment) but this is so silly and badly planned. You could have a 10 bay site taken out by 3 badly parked non Tesla cars.

I agree with some of Richard's conclusions at the end of the above. Have a percentage of the site open to all and leave the rest as tesla only. Like destination chargers with red and white signs. And the price should be more than a tesla owner pays, even with a paltry 13 euro sub. It should be 40c plus, if the tesla rate is going to be 24-31c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's only a trial, ELM327!

No doubt these issues will arise from the trial. No better place to test this than on large supercharger sites in the Netherlands as the next supercharger over there is never far away and there are plenty of other reliable fast charging sites too, like Fastned and Ionity. Over there you don't even need home or work charging to own an EV

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Words cannot express the amount of dislike I have for this. I'm currently not even a Tesla owner (we only have herself's Ioniq for the moment) but this is so silly and badly planned. You could have a 10 bay site taken out by 3 badly parked non Tesla cars.

The hyperbole of Tesla owners on this is getting ridiculous. The site isn't taken out, there is still plenty of chargers accessible to other right hand charging cars. No doubt Tesla will be monitoring this very closely to identify issues. If the trial goes well and this becomes a serious part of the business they'll likely roll out new SuCs with a modified layout. Knowing Tesla they probably already have a design on the books.

Which current Supercharger site in Ireland is the busiest?

Has any Tesla owner arrived at an Irish Supercharger and found it full to capacity? I know the Irish sites are smaller compared to the Pilot sites but I haven't heard of Tesla owners having to wait for a unit at a Supercharger to become available.

If its limited to sites with 10+ stalls, then we'll be grand in Ireland.

I can't see any new SuC sites in Ireland having more than 8 stalls as we simply won't need them..... as of today, the shortest range Tesla you can order is 491km WLTP

I can see the Mahon Point & Tralee sites of 4/2 stalls becoming the norm here, just with huge spread across the country to ensure you are never more than 50km away from one.... at most these sites could be increased to 8/4 stalls, but I couldn't ever envisage a site of more than 8 stalls on this island. The key for a location like Ireland will be a sh1t ton of micro sites (2-6 stalls) in hotels & retail parks... I don't think we'll ever get another Birdhill, Ballacolla or Castlebellingham tpe site here, and probably we won't need them either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I think Birdhill is probably the busiest site. Or maybe Cork.

The only reason Tralee is a 2 stall site was local capacity. They wabnted to install a 4 stall V3.

Athenry and Enfield seem to be 2*v3 (ie 8 stalls) capacity, the dublin one is a 4 bay v3

• Advertisement
Advertisement