Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

unkel wrote: »
    LOL! I think the AA already offers a mobile fast-ish charge for stranded EV customers?

yeah, but you get the juice for free once Sandyford opens.....

10-15 years down the line, when every car component on that car has had it's innings, I'd be trailering it to the SuC every couple of days to fill it, and then off load teh juice to my daily....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You need to go back to 2017 when Tesla entered the Irish market.
    You're right.
    Year 3 S X
    2017 0 38 12
    2018 0 85 38
    2019 187 49 18
    2020 724 38 34
    2021* 325 4 1
    Total 1236 214 103

Now can we compare with the UK numbers just to see the SuC/car ratio is maintained. They have opened 10 sites in UK this year, 8 in Germany, 6 in France, 6 in Poland. It seems a quite fast pace compared with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

10-15 years down the line, when every car component on that car has had it's innings, I'd be trailering it to the SuC every couple of days to fill it, and then off load teh juice to my daily....

LOL! All that effort for the massive saving of 70kWh * 4.78c = a bit over EUR3 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

slave1 wrote: »
    Think that entire post is off the mark. SC network will never diminish here.

‘Never’ is a very strong word to throw around. We’re still in the infancy so no-one has any idea how the market will develop.
    Ionity are a joke with both their pricing and throttled chargers, I pass the Athlone hub regularly and I've only seen one car charge there ever, an eGolf

Ionity have only been in Ireland for a short amount of time and we’ve spent most of that in some kind of lock down. Additionally, the number of EVs here is still very low. It’s far too early to tell if their strategy and pricing will pay off. People might dismiss them as being too expensive now but there are plenty of people who will pay for it, especially if the only alternative is queueing at a single eCars charger for a long time and getting a much lower charge rate.
    Why would Tesla sell off their USP

Tesla built the SuC network to allay range anxiety and sell cars. If there are other high-quality charging networks available, the problem goes away and you’d have to question the investment case of continuing to add new stations and service and upgrade the existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

new Kia EV6 has V2L and V2V, that's why I was asking if Tesla can do it

• Advertisement

cannco253 wrote: »
    new Kia EV6 has V2L and V2V

Fancy terms for just having an inverter connected to their DC-DC converter. Any EV can do that as long as you properly hook up a within spec inverter yourself. Like in my own 7 year old Tesla.

Not pooing on this feature BTW, I think it is great it comes as standard and doesn't require the owner to do anything but just use it. But the real benefit would come from bi-directional V2H / V2G charging through the standard type 2 socket (or preferably wirelessly)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

markpb wrote: »

Tesla built the SuC network to allay range anxiety and sell cars. If there are other high-quality charging networks available, the problem goes away and you’d have to question the investment case of continuing to add new stations and service and upgrade the existing ones.

They'll continue to do it to dominate the market regarding exclusive infrastructure, e.g. ID4 or Model Y, hmmmm, not much between them so I'll plop for the Y as then I can use the SC network.
    And of course the real joy with the SC network is you just reverse in and hook up, no cards, no App, as simple as it gets

But you are right that only time will tell.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

but if only you could get a Y.......not much good to ye if you need a car now and can't wait until sometime next year, maybe.

By then you'll have the ID.4/Enyaq/Ioniq5/EV6/Arriya as well so the USP of the charger network might not be enough to persuade some people to wait and go Tesla. Bigger batteries and longer range reduces some range anxiety, if you can drive point to point and destination charge then it's a nice to have not an essential.

I really think that having only one office in Dublin also puts some people off, but not everyone.

It will be an interesting summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I've never had to queue and that's the whole point of the SC network, they should be in plenty of locations and enough stalls to avoid queuing.
    I've SC in 9 locations here and Scotland, every time I could plan to arrive at single digit SOC and be 100% confident that the car would arrive at that SOC and that I could hook up straight away.
    That's what sets the SC network apart.

Think that entire post is off the mark.
    SC network will never diminish here.
    Ionity are a joke with both their pricing and throttled chargers, I pass the Athlone hub regularly and I've only seen one car charge there ever, an eGolf
    With free SC now well gone from Tesla the SC network will be unrivaled and turn more and more money as more and more Teslas hit the road.
    Pricing is easy to control and change, there are now different prices depending on location (Ballacolla is more expensive than Birdhill for example) and there is also dynamic pricing based on time of day.
    Tesla have SC nailed.
    Any Tesla owner here can rock up to the new V3 SC and get high speed reliable charging for a fraction of Ionity and cheaper than eCars.
    Why would Tesla sell off their USP.

What Gov are going to ban single operator networks? Never happen, for a start the Irish Gov as members of the EU have part funded Ionity and of course eCars, there is such thing as conflict and open market.

Didn't know they were different prices, had to go out to the car to check it out. 1c per kwh in the difference. Sets a precedence I suppose.
    See on Tesla website that they charge per min and kwh in busier locations to discourage hogging, charging over 80% and can also auto set max charge to 80%. Will kick in here I suppose once the numbers warrant it.

And of course the real joy with the SC network is you just reverse in and hook up, no cards, no App, as simple as it gets.

This works today between Electrify America and Ford and apparently also with VW cars after a software update. An industry standard has been defined so I’d expect to see this grow over time. Of course, it’s dubious if Tesla cars will be able to take advantage of this. In markets like Ireland where Tesla are definitely not a dominant charging network, this could be seen as a disadvantage of sorts.

• Advertisement

ESB useless, there’s two new Tesla hubs approved in recent weeks and now the big wait for ESB to do their thing, we won’t be holding our breath

SuperChargers going into Mahon Point Shopping Centre in Cork!!!

This is not a drill!!!

The units will be 250kW units…. So V3

555772.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

SuperChargers going into Mahon Point Shopping Centre in Cork!!!

This is not a drill!!!

Shopping centre you say. Definitely will be ICE'd to bits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

555772.jpeg

Do you know when these are due to go live? We'll be heading to West Cork at the first week of July from Kildare and these chargers would make the trip so much easier. I was doing some routes based on ecars but SC at Mahon Point would be so much better.

555772.jpeg

I don't think they are installing anything other than V3 now.
    I never saw planning for these, has it been granted?

Heading to Kinsale tomorrow, these would have been perfect

I never saw planning for these, has it been granted?

I hope so as as per the post on Facebook, the units are already in!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

ESB useless, there’s two new Tesla hubs approved in recent weeks and now the big wait for ESB to do their thing, we won’t be holding our breath

On past form the Tesla locations will be coming soon for the next 5 years :P

dloob wrote: »
    On past form the Tesla locations will be coming soon for the next 5 years :P

The one in Cork already has the units installed….. gonna be live in a matter of days/weeks……

The one in Cork already has the units installed….. gonna be live in a matter of days/weeks……

The units are but who knows how long it will take for ESB Networks to get the power to them?

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    The units are but who knows how long it will take for ESB Networks to get the power to them?

I'd imagine theres more than adequate supply close by in the shopping centre, so the connection shoudnt be too big a job to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

Sandyford date got pushed to Q3 2021 on Tesla website.

Anyone any update on this, I've a long run to Cork next month so these would make everything so much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I passed by about 4 days ago and it was still a work in progress. I imagine it'll be posted here when they are live.

Ah balls, the Tesla website have just updated it to Q4 this year, ah well, via Birdhill down and back again it is so

Ah balls, the Tesla website have just updated it to Q4 this year

I wouldn't trust their website for accurate info on SuC

Surely they'll be up and running before that. I'm sure the first boards.ie Tesla owner who tries them successfully will post back here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That is still the stupidest thing Tesla could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

ELM327 wrote: »
    That is still the stupidest thing Tesla could do.

Agreed, it is a publicly funded charger though so maybe that's why.

• Advertisement

From the articles it's about Tesla superchargers that were part funded with government subsidies in Finland being opened to non-Tesla EVs

Which is fair enough, I can only imagine this was in the contract somewhere before the subsidies were handed over. Not sure why Tesla did accept the subsidies in the first place though...

AFAIK there was not a cent in subsidies paid for any of the superchargers in Ireland, so there is no worry of that happening here.

Advertisement