Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could of would of

Options

Comments

I got into a discussion about this with an American I worked with. He got more and more heated insisting that "I could care less" was correct.

The cnut was in university too.

Intelligence is really about self awareness, more than anything. Any fool can pass an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I do be caring less, so i do be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Since generally in Ireland the farm is left to one son it's pretty fucking stupid to pull all younger sons out of school at the age of 12 when they don't stand much hope of inheriting much when the father croaks.

Dad was the eldest. Younger brother left school also to work though, stupid or not its what was done.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Zaph wrote: »
    ^This. How over the last couple of years have so many people lost the ability to differentiate between lose and loose? I have a friend who uses loose exclusively when he means lose, and you see it on Boards alot (another one that drives me mad).

Lose lost an o because it was loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

The use of 'revert' instead of 'reply' in emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Errors like those mentioned never bother me.
    I don't think they're down to laziness though.
    Maybe the quality of teaching has dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ablelocks

New Home wrote: »
    Lose lost an o because it was loose.

we got an email from the principal of our daughters national school.

very tempted to send her this in response....

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Errors like those mentioned never bother me.

Teachers only interested in reading, riting and rithmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Does it boil your piss when it is pronounced the way it is spelled? Because we nearly all do! Hence the reason why so many might make the mistake.

A certain amount of it might be down to peer pressure! That is after all why so many working class people stubbornly insist in saying "I seen" and "I done".

“I seen” and “I done” are perfectly grammatical.

“Should of” is a writing error. Nothing to do with grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

LLMMLL wrote: »

Complete bull.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, they are not, seen and done are past participles and need an auxiliary verb. You use the past simple form (saw and did) instead. So, depending on the tense you need, you either use "I have seen/done" or you use "I saw/did". And those are just some examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

stop been pedantic will ye?

:pac:

No, they are not, seen and done are past participles and need an auxiliary verb. You use the past simple form (saw and did) instead. So, depending on the tense you need, you either use "I have seen/done" or you use "I saw/did". And those are just some examples.

You clearly do not understand grammar.

There are many variations in how groups of people speak.

Grammar rules are not supposed to describe how people SHOULD speak. They are there to describe how people DO speak.

Unfortunately linguistic education of older people was very old fashioned and tried to train them out of their natural accents and grammar and force them to speak in only one acceptable way.

Modern linguistics views this as basically killing off a species of animal.

So while people who say “I seen” may violate the “rule” you state in your post, you violate their “rule” by speaking how you speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You clearly do not understand grammar.

There are many variations in how groups of people speak.

Grammar rules are not supposed to describe how people SHOULD speak. They are there to describe how people DO speak.

Unfortunately linguistic education of older people was very old fashioned and tried to train them out of their natural accents and grammar and force them to speak in only one acceptable way.

Modern linguistics views this as basically killing off a species of animal.

So while people who say “I seen” may violate the “rule” you state in your post, you violate their “rule” by speaking how you speak.

Way off the mark...... conspiracy theory thread …. … ^

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Reminds me of an Arab character in a book called "Siege" by American author Richard Hoyt. He had fairly decent English, except for some reason he only ever learned the past tense in the language. As in:

"Ah, Achmed, there you are - is Ivan finished with the trucks?"

"He was, sir. They were all ready right now and he was waiting in the office for you!"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I remember in high school I kept making the same spelling mistake. One day after acing a test my teacher calls me over and says: “Great job. Tell you what though. If I change your A to a B- it should help you remember how to spell that word.”

Well fvck me, I was cured.

Tig98 wrote: »
    It's not nonsense, its reality. My father and the majority of his friends have very poor literacy skills. Whatever about rural underfunding (the primary school had one teacher for all 30 odd kids), most boys were pulled out at a young age to work on the family farms. He didnt do an intercert, he didn't get any chance to use or maintain the little primary education he did get.

The farm and money making were seen as more important than formal education. It was a one or the other situation, which is why daughters were given an education since they would not inherit the farm.

That doesn’t explain why literacy is getting worse. Also 50 year olds were born in 1970. Free secondary schools were available since the 60s. A fifty year old graduated high school in 1988.

If you said 70, maybe, but they aren’t all over the internet.

And grammar can be taught in primary school. This isn’t the reason.

Should of isn’t a big issue. It’s a homophone.

Neither I seen or I done are grammatical. You will probably respond with grammar being descriptive not prescriptive. But when we are talking grammar we are talking about formal rules of writing and the past tense of do is did. (Yes the past participle is done but that’s not the issue here).

It’s a weird one that. A child would use the past tense of did a lot. So it’s not corrected through childhood or in school.

Neither I seen or I done are grammatical. You will probably respond with grammar being descriptive not prescriptive. But when we are talking grammar we are talking about formal rules of writing and the past tense of do is did. (Yes the past participle is done but that’s not the issue here).

It’s a weird one that. A child would use the past tense of did a lot. So it’s not corrected through childhood or in school.

Nobody has mentioned formal rules of writing in relation to “I seen”.

Do you agree that someone who SAYS “I seen” is speaking perfectly grammatically?

Do you agree that someone who SAYS “I seen” is speaking perfectly grammatically?

No. Of course not. Past tense is saw. Past participle is seen.

• Advertisement

No. Of course not. Past tense is saw. Past participle is seen.

So the entire field of linguistics is wrong and you are right? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Their is two much mis-takes too mention now adays, specially here on Boreds.Ie.

Here's one from earlier. Since when did "alot" become a word? What about "allot"?
    I don't know if its similar to the way Carlow some times blocks Kilkenny and I know there is ALLOT more distance

There really is no hope for the future generation even full stops and punctuation have become a thing of the past wouldnt you agree...

No, they are not, pick up a grammar book and check. I agree that "I seen" and "I done" are colloquialisms, but grammatically they are incorrect, just like "Should've gone to specsavers" is technically incorrect, due to the lack of a subject (i.e. a noun or a pronoun).

If someone sends in a CV without having taken the care to check for their own mistakes and have someone else proofread it too then straight into the bin it goes. Everyone plays the dyslexia card nowadays. Since when has more than 50% of the population suffered from dyslexia?

No, they are not, pick up a grammar book and check. I agree that "I seen" and "I done" are colloquialisms, but grammatically they are incorrect, just like "Should've gone to specsavers" is technically incorrect, due to the lack of a subject (i.e. a noun or a pronoun).

What grammar book? Most “grammar” books that a layperson would read are written by former English teachers with no background in linguistics.

Try “A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language” by Randolph Quirk for an actual expert view.

My daughter's English teacher (in 6th year) says "I seen" and "I done" all the time. Enough said.

So, which grammar books should I avoid? Anything with an auxiliary verb before the past participle? Usage and grammar are two different things.

Would you say "Mary eaten an apple" is grammatically correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, it’s not incorrect until it’s written down. English gives a lot of “leeway” to colloquial variants.

I, usually, don’t mind the whole “seen and done merchant” thing in conversation but it doesn’t look good in text form.

I remember the first time I heard the term “yizzers”, I actually burst out laughing as I thought the salesperson was joking. Since then, I’ve heard it a few times and it’s not an “issue” but if I saw it in text form I might wince a little.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

So, which grammar books should I avoid? Anything with an auxiliary verb before the past participle? Usage and grammar are two different things.

Would you say "Mary eaten an apple" is grammatically correct?

Any grammar book that tells you there is one correct way of speaking and that dialect variants are bad or incorrect.

I’ve no issue with a language learning book only presenting the standard version for example.

But anything that suggests native speakers are somehow not speaking correctly is a massive no-no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

As well as whatever mistakes I make, I also purposely break some grammatical rules in in informal setting. For example In a Boards post I'll write "That's the town I came from" instead of "That's the town from which I came", even though I know it's not correct. I just feel the former is a more conversational and makes me sound a little less up myself :)

So(!) when I see gramatical errors in a Boards post, I don't immediately assume ignorance. But when I see clangers like "would of", "they ate they're food" or "taxi's" I tend to assume it's a lack of knowledge on the writer's part.

I think the way Irish and English are taught isn't great in this country. Nearly everybody has done a Junior/Inter and Leaving cert, which means they've studied poetry, multiple novels and plays. But yet so many people have big gaps in their understanding of basic grammar.

I wonder if it'd be better to dedicate the junior cycle of secondary school to getting the grammar and syntax correct, and worry about literature in senior cycle? Or perhaps remove literature from the lower/pass level for both cycles - higher level does literature and lower level is solely the language itself. In the long run I think it's more important to understand the grammar than to have studied Hamlet/Peig.

Advertisement