Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could of would of

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

I find that obvious mistakes don't annoy me that much.

What I hate is when someone uses the word 'disinterested' when they mean 'uninterested'.

You see this everywhere now. Aggh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

It is not just being pedantic. Spelling and grammatical errors on your CV create an impression of carelessness, and lack of attention to detail. Just what a prospective employer is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

growleaves wrote: »

What I hate is when someone uses the word 'disinterested' when they mean 'uninterested'.

Maybe they think they had a vested interest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,819 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

growleaves wrote: »

Language evolves all the time. No point in getting annoyed about it, because there is nothing you can do to stop that happening.

Usage Note: In traditional usage, disinterested can only mean "having no stake in an outcome," as in Since the judge stands to profit from the sale of the company, she cannot be considered a disinterested party in the dispute. But despite critical disapproval, disinterested has come to be widely used to mean "uninterested" or "having lost interest," as in Since she discovered skiing, she's become disinterested in ice skating. The "not interested" meaning is actually the oldest sense of the word, going back to the 1600s. Despite its pedigree, this usage began to be considered an error in the 1900s.

Greyfox wrote: »
    To be honest when i hear people complaining about something as trivial as this i feel sorry for them and wonder are they short on hobbies. Its like an old lady complaining because her bill is 1 euro more than it should be.

Declension (present tense) of the verb "of":

I of
    You of
    He/she/it as
    We of
    They of

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭blackcard

So I could of literally dyed of embarsment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hamburgham

mfceiling wrote: »
    There their they're.

This and your/ you’re are so basic that I genuinely don’t know how people can leave school after 14 years not knowing this. Do teachers not teach this any more.If I was a teacher, no matter what subjects I taught, I would make sure the kids knew this.

Incidentally and not surprisingly, I don’t see non nationals at work making this mistake. They have obviously been taught.

"They have obviously been taught. "
    I have noticed recently, while listening to the radio, that some people seem to use "thaught" not "taught" . Another howler is "adopt" where they mean "adapt", "unchartered" where it should be "uncharted". I also hear "thaoiseach" not "taoiseach". These blunders are prevalent, even in published material, eg. newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

You’re misunderestimating (go George) the impact of predictive text and lazy fingers. I think a lot of people have gained bad habits from text speak. It drives me nuts too. Maybe I’m just too old for this sh:te

It is not just being pedantic. Spelling and grammatical errors on your CV create an impression of carelessness, and lack of attention to detail. Just what a prospective employer is looking for.

I don't really care as long as it is readable. A lot of non native English speakers have formal grammatical mistakes in their applications, definite articles are a rare beast for Eastern Europeans. I don't really care.

I'd be less forgiving for seen, or there, or your used incorrectly.
    hamburgham wrote: »
    This and your/ you’re are so basic that I genuinely don’t know how people can leave school after 14 years not knowing this. Do teachers not teach this any more.If I was a teacher, no matter what subjects I taught, I would make sure the kids knew this.

Incidentally and not surprisingly, I don’t see non nationals at work making this mistake. They have obviously been taught.

I agree. And what is even worse is people using there incorrectly and they're and their incorrectly. They know how to spell the words, they know that there are different usages but haven't learned how to use them. Nobody should leave primary school without this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

One I've seen recently especially in the Covid threads is Contract Tracing, what the hell is that? Its Contact Tracing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Of, off
    Then, than
    To, too, two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

One I've seen recently especially in the Covid threads is Contract Tracing, what the hell is that? Its Contact Tracing.

When people are contracted to trace a contract with tracing paper and a pencil.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

But were not talking about a CV here, were talking about boards/emails/social media.

Prostrate cancer, is that caused by lying down ?:confused:

But were we're not talking about a CV here, were talking about boards/emails/social media.

FYP

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

They know how to spell the words, they know that there are different usages but haven't learned how to use them. Nobody should leave primary school without this.

In the real world sometimes people forget the things they learn in primary school.

Prostrate cancer, is that caused by lying down ?:confused:

I will never forget decades ago when I was working in Coolock library and a mother came in giving out to me because I had given out to her son for being cheeky. She said " If he was IMPOTENT to ya, you've every right to give out to him, was he IMPOTENT cos I'll gave something to say to him too?" Poor woman meant "Impudent" of course, and she was puzzled as to why I was stifling a giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Another one that grinds my gears people talk about thread depth of their tyres..... grrr it’s tread depth, thread is for sewing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭blackcard

One mistake that I actually like is when people write rest bite instead of respite. You can see where it comes from as someone needing respite from tough times go to someplace where they get a bit of rest and something to eat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Predictive text on phones leads to this mangling of language.

No one cares anymore and just press send.

In the real world sometimes people forget the things they learn in primary school.

I think we need to be reminded in secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Predictive text on phones leads to this mangling of language.

No one cares anymore and just press send.

Some of us ducking care, you trick aunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What I can’t figure out is why Paschal Donoghue keeps saying that he will ‘respond back’ to people.

No need for the ‘back’ surely ?

On another note:

When did this starting sentences with ‘So’ spring from?

This “Can I get” when ordering coffee and take away food.

This use of ‘like’ by folks especially by kids.

Has me awake at night, so it does

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I am rather fond of "I do be", probably a bit of aimsir gnathlaithreach seeping through

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

What I can’t figure out is why Paschal Donoghue keeps saying that he will ‘respond back’ to people.

No need for the ‘back’ surely ?

On another note:

When did this starting sentences with ‘So’ spring from?

This “Can I get” when ordering coffee and take away food.

This use of ‘like’ by folks especially by kids.

Has me awake at night, so it does

This....

Tig98 wrote: »
    I am rather fond of "I do be", probably a bit of aimsir gnathlaithreach seeping through

The auld ‘Bím’ is it?

Another one or two rearing their ugly heads are:

‘Cer-em-oamies for ‘ceremonies.

‘To-woards’ instead of ‘towards’

Don’t get me going on the ‘Nooze’ for ‘News’.

It’s a jungle out there...!

A few amusing malapropisms I have seen ;

Rubex cubes (Rubik's)
    Terminal underwear (Thermal)
    Please bare with us, while we are rearranging this section

(underneath someone had written "ooh you are naughty, yes please) !!!

• Advertisement

Has to be never learning, not forgetting. Grammar is something you do every day.

Advertisement