Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could of would of

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Sahurdah, wahhur, millon, billon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Irregardless, to all intensive purposes, I could care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I generally find these kind of people have anger issues. If some grammar errors "boil their piss" i'd worry about their mental state

I think I'd have anger issues too if I involuntarily urinated 100°C liquid on hearing or seeing a grammatical mistake. It must be an incredibly painful, embarrassing and debilitating condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It started because people don't read enough and write it as they hear it in their head.
    Then it spread because other people also don't read much and thought "would of" is correct.
    This is why it's good to help people correct their grammar. Not every single thing but at least the usual mistakes like space before question mark, "alot", "there", etc

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Vita nova

From my experience of the Irish educational system and from talking to others, we spend a lot of time studying English literature and are very well read in general but we spend very little time (in some cases none) on spelling, grammar and composition after primary school and it's very noticeable among Irish posters on the internet. Even multinational employers have complained about Irish graduates' level of English.

It isn't a new thing either. I was in secondary school in the 70s and 80s and I distinctively remember our English teacher telling us that it wasn't his job to teach grammar. If older people make less mistakes, it's only because they've lived longer and have had more time to encounter and correct the mistakes, it isn't necessarily because they had a better education.

People complain about the American education system but from what I know they put a lot more emphasis on spelling, punctuation and grammar (SPAG) than us, and for those that make it to higher level education, they seem to write much better (more correct at least) English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Everyone makes typos. It's usually better to just be an adult and read around them. Plus, expecting perfect spelling, grammar and composition on a message board where a good 80% of content is merely drive by one liners is a bit much.

There is a difference, however, between typos and something like "That would of been wrong but I could care less". The latter being representative of someone who's failed to put a logical sentence together. Having a "their" slip into a sentence when you meant to write "there" can happen to professional writers and often does.

Lastly, I don't believe anyone on these boards should be having their "piss boiled" over such trivialities and they should, definitely, be loath to express such a thing as well. Because it's almost a certainty that that person will have made some errors themselves along the way and are at risk of smashing a few panes in their glass house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gammyeye wrote: »
    This boils my p**s completely. Please, to those who write 'of' instead of 'have'
    What is wrong with you? Serious question, do you honestly think it is 'of', or is it just laziness?
    I'm not usually bothered by something like this but I just see it so regularly now.

I have never seen this in writing, except on previous threads like this one. Give a few recent example of what you read, to get you into such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

They could be from Northern Ireland. A lot of them leave school with an extremely poor standard of spelling and grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Here are a few clangers from a friend of mine:

That must of being so hard
    You thought me well
    Who’s turn is it?
    It couldn’t have went any wronger
    I seen him yesterday
    I had wrote in the file

I done
    I seen
    I should have went
    Supposebly!
    Chimbley

I think this is more prevalent among people who don’t read much. My own other pet peeves are
    aswell and alot. It’s two words - as well and a lot!
    And as for they’re their there and whose who’s and lose loose!
    I see councillor mentioned a lot here on boards. It’s counsellor if you mean a therapist- the other is a local politician!
    Principal is a head teacher and principle is something else- can’t be bothered to define it now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Don't forget that possessives are now on the way out also.
    I put a hat on my babies head.
    I went to my buddies house.
    This is that ladies handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't forget that possessives are now on the way out also.
    I put a hat on my babies head.
    I went to my buddies house.
    This is that ladies handbag.

Yes and they then use the required apostrophe to make plural's with.:)

A lot of people mistakenly believe you use an apostrophe in plural cases when it ends in a vowel. So often see people write "taxi's", " photo's" and it seems to be on the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This boils my p**s completely. Please, to those who write 'of' instead of 'have'
    What is wrong with you? Serious question, do you honestly think it is 'of', or is it just laziness?
    I'm not usually bothered by something like this but I just see it so regularly now.

I should of explained the reasons why people use 'of' instead of 'have'. In fact, if your post hadn't come across as so grumpy I would of. I might not of bothered to post at all, but then I would of regretted it.

To me the could of and would of usage is the least annoying grammar mistake. The your, you're and there, their they're mistakes really grind my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

They could be from Northern Ireland. A lot of them leave school with an extremely poor standard of spelling and grammar.

They could be rightly, a wee problem there ok, so there is !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't see why something as trivial as this would annoy anyone. In my opinion, it's fine to make such mistakes on boards or facebook as you're writing off the cuff. It could be considered careless in a formal letter though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

I had a job for an organisation in the UK that got feedback that their letters were too legalistic for ordinary people. So they went the other extreme. From that point on we had to write "couldnt've", "shouldnt've", "wouldnt've" because the words "could not have" would be overly formal and intimidating for an ordinary person and the tone needs to be more conversational so as not to scare them. I have never seen anything as patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes and they then use the required apostrophe to make plural's with.:)

A lot of people mistakenly believe you use an apostrophe in plural cases when it ends in a vowel. So often see people write "taxi's", " photo's" and it seems to be on the increase.

I knew someone who wrote his Dublin address as Fingla's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I read an article by a someone proporting to be a reformed grammar nazi.
    She opines they are just sadsack pedants who wallow in one-upmanship because its the only minuscule bit of success they have in their sad little lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Your Face wrote: »
    I read an article by a someone proporting to be a reformed grammar nazi.
    She opines they are just sadsack pedants who wallow in one-upmanship because its the only minuscule bit of success they have in their sad little lives.

It should be "purporting" and "it's".:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

If somebody can't learn a few rules of grammar, it's hard to take what they post seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I had a job for an organisation in the UK that got feedback that their letters were too legalistic for ordinary people. So they went the other extreme. From that point on we had to write "couldnt've", "shouldnt've", "wouldnt've" because the words "could not have" would be overly formal and intimidating for an ordinary person and the tone needs to be more conversational so as not to scare them. I have never seen anything as patronising.

An interesting point. Some psychologist believe that non-truthful people are less likely to use contractions and apparently has been used in as an aide investigating crimes in the US.

Example
    Liars Never Use Contractions

Liars avoid shortening sentences with contractions. "I did not," often replaces a more natural "I didn't." So, the next time you get caught having an affair, say "I didn't have sexual relations with that woman" instead of "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

:D

https://www.laurieayers.com/i-am-not-lying-about-contractions/

https://mind-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/10-surefire-ways-spot-liar-and-tell-better-lies-yourself-0155036/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Incorrect use of "literally"......boils my piss!!

I used it correctly. Its a serious medical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

.anon. wrote: »
    I used it correctly. Its a serious medical condition.
    I presume your usage of 'its' was because of a medical condition too? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

To be honest when i hear people complaining about something as trivial as this i feel sorry for them and wonder are they short on hobbies. Its like an old lady complaining because her bill is 1 euro more than it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Which? Which...which....which......

yaaah it’s what you cùnt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mfceiling wrote: »
    There their they're.

Their "they're there" dare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭HBC08

At the end of at its a doggy dog world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I presume your usage of 'its' was because of a medical condition too? :pac:

That was correct to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Should of could of would of

Advertisement