Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK/Ireland Zero Covid Area

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hubertj wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying. Australia is clearly more self sufficient/ independent in that sense. Logical considering their geographic location. Enjoy the freedom!

Yeah thanks, there are still challenges but somehow they are usually resolved.

Still I cant complain, I haven't really had to put up with many restrictions since this started or at least any that hindered life in any great way. I feel sorry for my parents and brother not doing so good with all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah thanks, there are still challenges but somehow they are usually resolved.

Still I cant complain, I haven't really had to put up with many restrictions since this started or at least any that hindered life in any great way. I feel sorry for my parents and brother not doing so good with all this.

We wont even rapid test hauliers coming into this country. You would think after France insisted it for ours we would have done the same.

It's just shows where the goverments head is at.

They're playing a constant charade, pretending to protect borders, while they hold out for the vaccine.

We wont even rapid test hauliers coming into this country. You would think after France insisted it for ours we would have done the same.

It's just shows where the goverments head is at.

They're playing a constant charade, pretending to protect borders, while they hold out for the vaccine.

You have to ask the question over the last year what sort of society closes businesses/livelihoods and allows their kids to go uneducated... while facilitating people to go on foreign holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gw80

Are we going to have an issue with British tourists coming to Ireland through the north this summer,
    If by the summer they are well on with their vaccinations but Europe is still behind and there is still the 2 week quarantine when leaving Britain to go to Europe then wouldn't Ireland be likely to be a holiday destination for a lot of brits as they can just go to the north and drive into the republic, or will none of it matter at that stage if the vaccines do what they promise to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You have to ask the question over the last year what sort of society closes businesses/livelihoods and allows their kids to go uneducated... while facilitating people to go on foreign holidays?

I know. Its maddening.

A catastrophic error of judgement was made by not controlling the borders early on. The day we foolishly rejected nephets advice and stopped 'following the science' we were fooked.

Not that its any consolation, but it seems most countries made the same mistakes and more.

It really is a testament to the leadership of Australia, NZ, Finland, and other outliers to their sensible, humane approach they took to the pandemic.

• Advertisement

I know. Its maddening.

A catastrophic error of judgement was made by not controlling the borders early on. The day we foolishly rejected nephets advice and stopped 'following the science' we were fooked.

Not that its any consolation, but it seems most countries made the same mistakes and more.

It really is a testament to the leadership of Australia, NZ, Finland, and other outliers to their sensible, humane approach they took to the pandemic.

different circumstances

I think with border is would still be a huge challenge, but allowing so many people through Dublin airport just before Christmas just put the nail in the coffin.

If they had put more deterrents in place you would be in a very different place right now.

Really loving new UK testing/quarantine rules. They now have some proper teeth. When someone flys into UK, the minimum is three covid tests. This will focus the minds of would be inward travellers. Also a disincentive for holiday makers which is a good thing to encourage inly essential travel.

Ireland can piggy back off their rules and hopefully they give ireland some of their spare vaccines.

Really loving new UK testing/quarantine rules. They now have some proper teeth. When someone flys into UK, the minimum is three covid tests. This will focus the minds of would be inward travellers. Also a disincentive for holiday makers which is a good thing to encourage inly essential travel.

Ireland can piggy back off their rules and hopefully they give ireland some of their spare vaccines.

If they are doing it this late in the game it must be because UK believe there is still plenty of legs in this virus yet, I think the variants are worrying them I was listening to Newstalk yesterday and Spain is expecting a 4th wave and possibly Germany extending lockdown. These variants is definitely a set back it seems.

Given the level of travellers using dublin as a backdoor to get around quarantine,id be suprised if they dont bring in quarantines for people travelling from here

Pointless otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Just a question, what do we do in April or May if the UK has it's vaccine all rolled out? What do we do if they want to open up and we are way off that in numbers and hospitalisations? Do we open up like them and let the sh1t hit the fan again?

• Advertisement

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Just a question, what do we do in April or May if the UK has it's vaccine all rolled out? What do we do if they want to open up and we are way off that in numbers and hospitalisations? Do we open up like them and let the sh1t hit the fan again?

I think the penny has dropped with the powers that be, that we ain't going back to 2019. We will dealing with covid restrictions for years. Not severe lockdowns but something similar to asian countries/austrailia. Laissez faire liberal governments of old are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think we are going in the right direction with further travel restrictions. But probably need to go way further at least on par with what the UK are bringing in.

For me the biggest reason for travel restrictions with the vaccine rollout is mainly because of the risks new variants bring.

But I think if other countries in the EU or elsewhere can show they have infections at a very low level and no spread of any cases for new variants then maybe we could get back to having a green list of safe countries for international travel again, something we may need to work with in the coming years, which could be kept under review.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Sunday Headlines:

The Mail on Sunday: "Back in the pub garden for Easter!"
    The Sunday Telegraph: "Picnics and coffee in the park from March 8"
    Sunday Express: "This must be final Lockdown" with sub headline - "Tony MPs tell PM to end all virus rules by MAy"
    The Sunday Times: "Back to school in 3 weeks".

The UK/Ireland Zero Covid Area is an absolute non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think another reason it is a non-runner is that we are way behind the UK in vaccinations. Why would the UK want an unvaccinated country acting as a virus reservoir in the same bloc as the UK?

AKL back into lockdown,for 1 confirmed case

Wonder will they be out of lockdown again ahead of us

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AKL back into lockdown,for 1 confirmed case

Wonder will they be out of lockdown again ahead of us
    Well, it's supposedly for 5 days so you'd imagine so.

Advertisement