Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The calf on the right is the rejected twin. He is quiet crafty at getting a drink, as soon as he sees his foster mother's calf drinking he sneaks in to the right of her. He is doing the same here with a different cow.

Twin Sneaks in.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

First cow calved last night a red BB4438 bull calf. 289 days had to pull it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The calf on the right is the rejected twin. He is quiet crafty at getting a drink, as soon as he sees his foster mother's calf drinking he sneaks in to the right of her. He is doing the same here with a different cow.

Twin Sneaks in.JPG

They’re nice calves what’s the breeding?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    They’re nice calves what’s the breeding?

Thanks Squinn. Brown and White is out of the SI stock bull, he is AI LM4217.

Thanks Squinn. Brown and White is out of the SI stock bull, he is AI LM4217.

Nice shapey calf for a sim he must be a grand bull the stock bull. What’s his breeding out of interest?
    Twin is Knell? Good size for a twin. Plenty of power in the cows too.

• Advertisement

Nice shapey calf for a sim he must be a grand bull the stock bull. What’s his breeding out of interest?
    Twin is Knell? Good size for a twin. Plenty of power in the cows too.

Tower Hill Simmental, I think the shape is coming from her, she is BBX

Number 11 landed there now. She was trying for 2 hours so we handled her. Lim bull coming backways but we got him out ok thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

A second calver last night, acting stone cracked, handled her and calf coming upside down.
    Heifer calf, all ok except doubt she'll clean.
    Thats the second upside down calf I've had in a week, would there be a reason for it or just coinicidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RD10 wrote: »
    A second calver last night, acting stone cracked, handled her and calf coming upside down.
    Thats the second upside down calf I've had in a week, would there be a reason for it or just coinicidence?

More chance of that happening than u winning the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭emaherx

Finally a Heifer....
    I've 2 live Heifers out of ten calvings. Lost one early on which was a twin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I honestly don't know how people face into calving sucklers every year going by the talk of jacking, c sections, calves not getting up etc. Maybe it's only the bad cases that get mentioned?. When I was younger 1 single vet covered an area that it now takes 2 multivet practices to cover (are we doing something wrong or what ) and he always had time to have a small whiskey before he left ! The factories and supermarkets say they don't want big carcass so why are we breeding them?

I can only speak for the midlands area but there were virtually no suckler herds here in olden years - suck calves were bought from the south by dealers and reared to beef.

Dairy herds were substantially smaller too - 30 cows was considered a big herd.

That said we had circa 8 cows here which we milked to feed about 20 calves. 20 sucklers now and I’d say I call the vet a lot less now than we did years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

RD10 wrote: »

Happened me one year with several calves presenting sideways /up side down ,Vet put it down to cow lacking minerals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would you just scatter the minerals over the silage or would you mix it in with a small amount of ration to be sure they got their share?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Would you just scatter the minerals over the silage or would you mix it in with a small amount of ration to be sure they got their share?

I just sprinkle it on the silage, seems to work the best but all the cows would want enough room at the barrier to eat at the same time. Wouldn't have any more than five cows in a pen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A small coca cola bottle holds 600g of pre calver minerals, so enough for 6 cows .

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

I mix minerals with the rolled oats. Troughs are always licked clean.

We'd normally throw it over a small bit of ration - probably averaging 1kg each and then minerals on top.
    I'd like to get away from using the ration, but as we're fattening some bullocks in same shed they go mad when the others get meal, so it easier to give them a bit.

Just on silage here the cows love it and yea very important they can all feed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

After pulling dead twins there for a neighbour now, 3 legs and a head coming together, 1 backwards and upside down and the other had a leg gone back. I'd say they were dead with a few days. Had pulled another set for him a few days ago and the first one was coming backwards with his 2 legs inside under him and had an awful job to get them up but they were both ok so I gathered as much fluid as I could out of the cow and threw it up on one of them and she took straight away. Never a dull moment with them.

Shame about the twins, they do seem to be nothing but a heartache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

No2. Bull by Uslan 284 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

emaherx wrote: »
    Finally a Heifer....
    I've 2 live Heifers out of ten calvings. Lost one early on which was a twin.

1 bull here out of 23 calves 7 left

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just calved a monster. Got my dad to help. Then oh as jack wasn't moving. Calf just dead when we got him out. A big angus bull out of a fr cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ended up with about 43% heifers out of the fr straws used. Ai beef due for the next 10 days or so then stock bull. First Hereford calf landed the other day, heifer calf of the niece and nephews favourite cow, a fleckx . Was hoping the calf would be a red white head but came black the fecker.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just calved a monster. Got my dad to help. Then oh as jack wasn't moving. Calf just dead when we got him out. A big angus bull out of a fr cow.

Crappy luck that. Way it goes at times but youd think youd be ok with AA

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Crappy luck that. Way it goes at times but youd think youd be ok with AA

I think the calf was hitting a nerve or something.

You would wonder at times, we had one like that last year, tried resuscitating him. Then saw a birth like it on a UK TV farming programme, they kept working on him for ages and amazingly got him going.

I bought a calf resuscitator this year - has anyone here experience of using one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Just had an 18month old limX heifer calf no bother to her. I wouldn't usually calve them that early but she made her way out to the night club and met the neighbors 5* limo bull
    Calf jumping around the place full of beans. Them limousines are one hardy breed!!
    20210313-172535.jpg"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You would wonder at times, we had one like that last year, tried resuscitating him. Then saw a birth like it on a UK TV farming programme, they kept working on him for ages and amazingly got him going.

I bought a calf resuscitator this year - has anyone here experience of using one.

Blow in the calves ear. Brought many a calf and lamb back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭jfh

Blow in the calves ear. Brought many a calf and lamb back.

We usually pour cold water in the ear to shock them

Advertisement