Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Similar to the Kavanaugh hearings in your opinion when activists stormed federal buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I missed the part where they chanted they were going to hang him, brought a gallows and set it up outside, wrote slogans saying that they would murder the press, used flag poles and fire extinguishers to beat police, stole artefacts and documents from people working there and left urine and feces in various halls and offices so no, not similar at all.

The insurrection bit i was talking about, they were preventing business of the us government which you said a couple of posts back meant it was an insurrection. So pretty similar really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

The posters won't say the CHAZ in chicago was an insurection despite it taking over an area and having an armed force that actually killed two people, which is a lot more than 0.

If the capital riots were insurection that definitely was too but it can't be because the Democrats tolerated that for a month.

They won't say attacking federal buildings in other places is an insurection.

The FBI as other posters point out haven't charged anybody with it.

Chaz in seattle? Its the blatant hypocrisy i find amusing, used to annoy me, not so much anymore. Always fun to point it out though.

• Advertisement

No. Not every protest against the government is the same. I haven't called the cosplay warriors at the statehouse in Michigan insurrectionists either. as for CHAZ in Chicago, that's a new one, haven't heard of that. Were those guys flying the flag of the sitting President when they carried out their actions? That's what made the events of Jan 6th so significant.

What happened in the Capitol was directly attempting to prevent the action of government to facilitate an alternative outcome, that is very different with protests. As for 0 people being killed at the Capitol. That's not the case, try again.

Glad to see you guys want to be guided by FBI direction now. Guess you'll accept the dangers associated with white supremacism that they've been warning about now so, am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm sorry but what happened a year ago was disgraceful and stupid but I don't see how this was going to stop the new President from taking office.

I think Donald Trump needs to be punished for what happened there but calling it an attempted coup seems ridiculous to me.

I do believe the leaders of this should be charged with some form of domestic terrorism.

It really was a pathetic attempt at whatever the goal was.

Maybe you'll believe Ted Cruz.

This is a more detailed explanation of what was being attempted by Trump and his inner circle.

The fact that Meadows was in possession of a PowerPoint the day before the Capitol attack that detailed ways to stage a coup suggests he was at least aware of efforts by Trump and his allies to stop Joe Biden’s certification from taking place on 6 January.

The PowerPoint, titled “Election Fraud, Foreign Interference & Options for 6 Jan”, made several recommendations for Trump to pursue in order to retain the presidency for a second term on the basis of lies and debunked conspiracies about widespread election fraud.

Meadows turned over a version of the PowerPoint presentation that he received in an email and spanned 38 pages, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The Guardian reviewed a second, 36-page version of the PowerPoint marked for dissemination with 5 January metadata, which had some differences with what the select committee received. But the title of the PowerPoint and its recommendations remained the same, the source said.

Senators and members of Congress should first be briefed about foreign interference, the PowerPoint said, at which point Trump could declare a national emergency, declare all electronic voting invalid, and ask Congress to agree on a constitutionally acceptable remedy.

The PowerPoint also outlined three options for then vice-president Mike Pence to abuse his largely ceremonial role at the joint session of Congress on 6 January, when Biden was to be certified president, and unilaterally return Trump to the White House.

Still think there wasn't a coup being attempted?

FBI and realistically nobody of note in America is calling it an attempted coup. Get over it, you are wrong,and yes if FBI are saying white supremacism is a threat, i would take that seriously, why wouldnt i ?, im not single minded unlike many here. You gave a definition of what an insurrection was and it also applied to the activists at Kavanaugh's hearings, you gave the definition not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I still think it impossible to call it a coup. It was a pathetic attempt at something.

There was no way that it was ever going to be successful.

As I've said, I do believe the leaders should be charged with some form if domestic terrorism and Donald Trump needs to be charged with something too. I just couldn't ever call it a coup, it lacked the numbers and the nous to be considered that.

• Advertisement

Get over it, you are wrong

Lol. I've nothing to get over. It's pleasing to watch the runaway mess that is Republicans and their defenders try to absolve themselves from the actions of what went on on that day and in the days preceding it. This despite the supposed party of Law and Order trying to prevent any investigation in to what happened.

That there is such an abundance of conflicting messages about the event from their senior members showed they too know it for what it was, but the extent to which they have ceded control of the party to Trump and Fox News is forcing them to make fools of themselves as Cruz did yesterday.

It wasn't successful, but a coup was attempted. Someone can still be charged with attempted murder even if they failed to see it through.

I don't expect to see charges levied at senior political people around the events of Jan 6th. I agree with senior GOP people who think Trump is to blame, but I don't think that that will mean he'll ever be charged. Probably in years to come, after he has passed, or when currently sitting senior members have retired, there'll be statements that charges 'should' have been levied, but that is worth as much now, as it will be then.

Will anybody be prosecuted for this attempted coup?, will the jan6th committee in summary call it an attempted coup? See you say you believe the FBI that white supremacism is a threat but don't believe them when they say they have no evidence it was coup attempt. See some of us aren't single minded and can actually put things into context and don't look at things through the same lens over and over again. Hypocritical and funny, the mental gymnastics is impressive. Essentially you believe the FBI on things you agree with but dont agree with the FBI when they dont share your point of view, lol brilliant.

What gives you the impression I am guided by, or should be guided by the FBI. They are a singular entity in relation to this, I know you are clinging to the absence of them specifically referring to it being a coup so that you can pretend it wasn't any such thing. You want to talk about the FBI, that's fine, you're very keen to bring them up. I'm basing my opinion based on what I saw throughout the day of the 6th and the words, messages and actions of all the parties involved.

Am I not allowed to have my own opinion?

Yep you are allowed to have your opinion but don't claim it as fact that it was an attempted coup. If somebody is prosecuted for attempting a coup, i will gladly come back here and say i was wrong, until then it was not an attempted coup i have no problem admitting im wrong on subjects. Anyway my night shift is over so im off. We wont agree anyway.

Lol. You don't make the rules here. I, and everyone else, can claim what we want.

At least I'm basing my claims in evidence, it's up to others to refute them with their own evidence. Not to pout and say I can't say such a thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It was a completely pathetic attempt at keeping Trump in place. But it was an attempt, by morons.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Biden's speech was strong, reading this tweet made me think about it in a particular way.

Do you think the Republicans know they are being hypocritical at a level hardly possible to achieve when they call his speech divisive and simultaneously want to downplay what happened on Jan 6th, or do they know exactly what they are doing and just don't care. I suspect most of them fall in to the latter category, but there are probably some who are in the former.

Really hope to see Biden doing something on voting rights security before the mid-terms. It's definitely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think we're seeing round 1 of the Democratic party's 2022 midterm strategy - remind the voter they'll get the #2xIMPOTUS back, with his lickspittles in power, if they don't vote. Remind them of what he did with the organizational help of his pack of lapdogs.

I don't think this is the last we'll hear of this. As for getting something done on voting rights, BBB, I'm not so confident.

I would very much to see Breyer retire. If the Democrats can retain the Senate through 2024 that's likely to be a good thing. Might even Alito take a hike by then.

Rudepundit gives a good summary: https://rudepundit.blogspot.com/ As always, NSFW

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There is zero chance of Alito vacating his seat if the Democrats have control of the Senate unless he dies.

It’s very much well known that Roberts doesn’t like the way the Supreme Court is moving so if he had any real care about it, he’d step down himself. Get Sotomayor in as Chief Justice and then someone to take her seat. But, again, zero chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Or all the other peaceful protests across America in 2020 where 2 billion dollars of insurable damage was done.

Over 50 people killed, neighbourhoods burnt to the ground, shops looted, businesses destroyed, peoples livelihoods ruined.

The Democrats even contributed to bail out these peaceful protesters who later went on to commit heinous crimes including murder.

Kamala Harris actively promoted this bailing out.

They have alot more blood on their hands than Trump.

What happened at the Capitol was no more an Insurrection than those events were peaceful protests.

People are tired of listening to the Democrats with their sanctimonious blather, and two-facedness.

People know that the Republicans are foxes but the Democrats, to paraphrase Malcolm X, well they are the wolves in sheeps clothing.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Proof of where Kamala Harris bailed out people who burned down buildings please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

proof of any of those numbers would be a start. Fox news talking points.

I didn’t make the claim but here’s what that poster said:

The Democrats even contributed to bail out these peaceful protesters who later went on to commit heinous crimes including murder. Kamala Harris actively promoted this bailing out.

I just looked it up and it seems that is correct:

Alleged domestic abuser released by Harris-backed bail fund now charged with murder

https://news.yahoo.com/alleged-domestic-abuser-released-harris-170800337.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a clear demonstration of their absolute and completely rampant hypocrisy to call Biden's speech "divisive" after 4 years of their guy spouting the most divisive shite that's been heard in American politics for decades.

But is anyone really that surprised?

The problem is that you're willing to concede that Trump is divisive and not Biden. The other side say that Biden is divisive and not Trump.

The reality is that both Trump and Biden have been divisive, in their own ways, but both sides are unwilling to concede that fact.

Trump has the blood of 100's of thousands on his hands due to his downplaying of Covid throughout 2020 and most of those still refusing to get vaccinated are doing so partly versus of his rhetoric throughout last year.

BLM would really want to turn violent to come anywhere close to causing the damage he caused. And continues to cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bollocks.

The thrust of Biden's speech was to call out Trump and his supporters for Jan 6th. It was to call him out for his lies about a "stolen election" and it's not before time either. This kind of lying needs to be combated in clear terms because it's a insidious poison designed to appeal to fools and other liars.

That's not being "divisive", that's being honest. Something Trump and his cultists have no concept of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats bloody rich .

Biden said the other day that “You can’t love your country only when you win”.

Completely forgetting that for four years Senior Democrats, including 2016 loser Hillary Clinton, pretended that the election had been stolen.

4 years of constant wailing and moaning on this forum from Anti Trumpists.

If Biden wanted to unite America he would not be trying to portray that half of the country are a mere step away from treasonous, domestic terrorists.

Advertisement