Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wasn't that the time when his supporters on here and around him immediately went in to overdrive saying that he was joking and he gave an interview confirming he was serious.

We laugh now, it wasn't funny then and won't be funny in 3 years if he is seeking to get on the ballot and 74M people are ignoring incidents and everything else about him in the role just because he isn't a Liberal/Democrat.

Sad indictment of the state of a nation that this guy with everything he has done, is still the figurehead of the Republican Party.

yeah donnie contradicted them but they still wouldn't admit they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Wasn't that the time when his supporters on here and around him immediately went in to overdrive saying that he was joking and he gave an interview confirming he was serious.

That happened several times though.

*Trump says something stupid

Trump fans: It was clearly a joke.

Trump: I was deadly serious.

Trump fans: CNN is shít

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Someone hasn't been paying his bills again. The City of Albequerque, New Mexico, (Translation: Breaking Bad'sville) has sent the Trump campaign's $211,175.94 to a debt collections agency, for services rendered to his campaign in September 2019.

Unless he's been paying off the Russians again or something, he has more than enough from the insurrection slush fund to cover this doesn't he.

Gosh can't imagine how he lost New Mexico's vote either.

Overheal wrote: »
    Someone hasn't been paying his bills again. The City of Albequerque, New Mexico, (Translation: Breaking Bad'sville) has sent the Trump campaign's $211,175.94 to a debt collections agency, for services rendered to his campaign in September 2019.

Unless he's been paying off the Russians again or something, he has more than enough from the insurrection slush fund to cover this doesn't he.

As they saying goes, old habits die hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Overheal wrote: »

20210423-235713.png

Not just one city. He's been ripping people off for 40 years, it's like second nature at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We laugh now, it wasn't funny then and won't be funny in 3 years if he is seeking to get on the ballot and 74M people are ignoring incidents and everything else about him in the role just because he isn't a Liberal/Democrat.

Sad indictment of the state of a nation that this guy with everything he has done, is still the figurehead of the Republican Party.

Half registered Republicans believed QAnon was real...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Has Trump left Mar a Lago since he slunk off there? Apart from golfing, I mean has he spent an overnight anywhere else?

Has he been seen with his wife or youngest son?

I'm picturing him living in a bubble of sycophants there for the remainder of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Love this headline from The Guardian:

Ups and downs: Trump’s $27m-a-mile border wall being scaled with $5 ladders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Has Trump left Mar a Lago since he slunk off there? Apart from golfing, I mean has he spent an overnight anywhere else?

I'm picturing him living in a bubble of sycophants there for the remainder of his life.

Maybe no one else wants him and he is afraid of the crazy supporters that he had or has or maybe because he now has to pay for his own health cover he is afraid of Covid now.
    Not paying off his bills would not help.
    I for one could not care if we never see him ever again.
    He was the Worst most stupidest politician to ever have been known to the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's worse than that. Kevin McCarthy went their to visit him pretty soon after the inauguration and last week I think Sean Hannity went their to interview him for his first TV interview since he left the office. So much for Fox being the enemy.

It very much has a look of him being seen as a King in his Castle and being visited by his subjects and fans.

Right now, subject to health and possible charges, I reckon he's going to secure the GOP nomination in 2024. And if it gets too much longer, he'll probably delay any criminal proceedings with the claim that it is politically motivated to stop him from running.

He should have been impeached by the senate and barred from office. Everything Biden is doing in terms of infrastructure, the climate commitments etc are very positive to see, but, they will be used as a stick by republicans in 2024 to beat him and if Trump gets in, that work will be rolled back immediately.

All the signs indicate he GOP feel he is their only chance to win next time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But the same problem remains. He is not popular enough to get elected.

2016 was seen as an upset, was an upset. It was built on the back on a very devisive Dem candidate, HC. Its unlikely that anyone will come as close to the outright hatred she raised.

Unless things go seriously off the rails under Biden, which given he is very mainstream is unlikely, what will Trump run on and more importantly what has he got that will get him the voters he needs?

The last 4 years would suggest he has nothing new. No new ideas. And while those ideas still resonate will millions, not close to enough.

And the big thing that changed since 2020 election is the Jan 6th insurrection. And while many of his supporters don't care, many of the voters he needs to win over will look at that and think twice about voting him back.

So the problem is now bigger than before but he lacks the WH pulpit to drive the narrative.

He gave a Fox News interview with Hannity last week. Hardly anyone noticed. He isn't driving the news agenda anymore.

Leroy42 wrote: »

2016 was seen as an upset, was an upset. It was built on the back on a very devisive Dem candidate, HC. Its unlikely that anyone will come as close to the outright hatred she raised.

Unless things go seriously off the rails under Biden, which given he is very mainstream is unlikely, what will Trump run on and more importantly what has he got that will get him the voters he needs?

The last 4 years would suggest he has nothing new. No new ideas. And while those ideas still resonate will millions, not close to enough.

And the big thing that changed since 2020 election is the Jan 6th insurrection. And while many of his supporters don't care, many of the voters he needs to win over will look at that and think twice about voting him back.

So the problem is now bigger than before but he lacks the WH pulpit to drive the narrative.

He gave a Fox News interview with Hannity last week. Hardly anyone noticed. He isn't driving the news agenda anymore.

Agree with everything you've said.

But, Say Trump drops 15M in his voting numbers in 2024, from what he got in 2020. And those 15M are made up of those who were repulsed by his contribution to the insurrection etc. But say Biden drops 25M and his drop is made up by people who just don't think they need to vote because 'sure he's going to win anyway' or there isn't as much conversation around voting as there was last year.

You might say these numbers dropping off are not likely but bear in mind the increase 2020 saw versus previous years and also, another real factor is the GOP voting legislation shenanigans which they have been implementing in key states and will continue to implement over the next couple years. Every key state needs someone strong to counter this and unfortunately there aren't enough Stacey Abrams to go around.

Overall numbers aside, I did a little analysis on the battleground state results from the last election and I think I got to a figure as small as about 180K votes across particular states would have been enough for Trump to have been returned, in spite of what would still have been a nearly 7M popular vote victory for Biden.
    Biden has been close to excellent so far, hopefully he continues to be this way, the Dems maintain their hold on the House and Senate in the mid-terms and he can roll in to 2024 on what is largely a popular and calm presidency. If so, that should be enough to get him over the line but there is no doubt that Repulicans will be keen to disrupt this. If they gain control of the house or senate in 2022, it's a given that nothing significant will be done in the next 2 years after that and that all the cries then will be how ineffectual he has been. Nonsense, I know, but this is the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »

There were a multitude of reasons why he got in.

But now he is a spent force, an old record.

And I for one am very thankful that he will never, ever be in power again.

It is bone chilling to think of what he would have done if he got another 4 years. Truly frightening.

Thank ****, even with all his cheating, he was still beaten and beaten well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Id like to see Nikki Haley run for the republicans Always came across well any time i seen her speak. Seems likable too and pretty centrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Id like to see Nikki Haley run for the republicans Always came across well any time i seen her speak. Seems likable too and pretty centrist.

She is an out and out Trump supporter. She is not close to center.

Christy42 wrote: »
    She is an out and out Trump supporter. She is not close to center.

No i think shes playing a game, she cant come out and criticize trump too much as she will lose all his die hard fans. Its just sensible politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

No i think shes playing a game, she cant come out and criticize trump too much as she will lose all his die hard fans. Its just sensible politics.

She will play the same game when in the office and appease the extremists. Same difference in the end. Not a moderate.

Christy42 wrote: »
    She will play the same game when in the office and appease the extremists. Same difference in the end. Not a moderate.

No i don't agree she would appease extremists, she is definitely a moderate republican. We will agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

She already did come out and criticise him, even said he'd no future in the GOP https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/nikki-haley-donald-trump-gop/index.html

duploelabs wrote: »
    She already did come out and criticise him, even said he'd no future in the GOP https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/nikki-haley-donald-trump-gop/index.html

Criticize too much i said, its a tight line she has to walk. So you wouldn't agree with Christy she is and out an out trump supporter so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Haley has zero chance of even winning Republican primary let alone the president.

Right now Trump is only shot the Republicans have at the White House in 24 and he will be well beat if he runs again.

Republicans went all in on one man and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Haley has zero chance of even winning Republican primary let alone the president.

Right now Trump is only shot the Republicans have at the White House in 24 and he will be well beat if he runs again.

Republicans went all in on one man and lost.

I wouldn't rule out Ron de Santis for 24. Florida is becoming a haven for the conservatives at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Would Republicans elect a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Would Republicans elect a woman?

Republicans, indeed right-wingers everywhere, are more than happy to go back on any previous ideology if it gets them power.

It is not that long ago that Republicans hated even the very idea of Trump being in politics, never mind being part of their party and running.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out Ron de Santis for 24. Florida is becoming a haven for the conservatives at the minute

If Trump is running, then I'd be very surprised if de Santis does.

However, if Trump doesn't run, then de Santis will be the Republican nominee.

No i don't agree she would appease extremists, she is definitely a moderate republican. We will agree to disagree.

She is completely focused on her own goals and whatever the means are to achieve that she will pursue them.

She held him responsible for the insurrection and said that too many had enabled him, she then said she will both step aside if he is on the ballot in the Republican primaries in 2024 and that she would vote for him.

She is as morally upstanding as Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Right now, subject to health and possible charges, I reckon he's going to secure the GOP nomination in 2024.

I quite seriously believe he will only leave Maralago in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1386069017971015682?s=19

This one is running at quite a pace!

She is completely focused on her own goals and whatever the means are to achieve that she will pursue them.

She held him responsible for the insurrection and said that too many had enabled him, she then said she will both step aside if he is on the ballot in the Republican primaries in 2024 and that she would vote for him.

She is as morally upstanding as Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and the others.

Newsflash, all politicians are focused on their own goals.

• Advertisement

Newsflash, all politicians are focused on their own goals.

Do you not think some if them at least are motivated by trying to contribute and do good for society?

I'm under no illusion as to the presence of selfishness but I also think many people have genuinely decent intentions.

Biden chose not to run in 2016 as he was grieving his son, he said he decided to in 20 because he felt the country needed Trump out of office and he obviously believed he was the best chance for that to happen.

I'm sure he likes being President and is proud he achieved it, but, I dont think it was his personal ambition to become so because if it really was, he'd have done it in 16.

Was AOC motivated be selfish goals in pushing a climate bill mich of the country is not ready for?

Were the GOP politicians who stood up to Trump selfishly motivated, when they knew they were drawing the ure if their party on ti themselves in doing so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement