Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,102 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can't help but think that the poles are being sold in a particular way, so as to make the race seem tighter than it is.

There could be two motivations for this. The first is to ensure a good turnout. The second is to generate controversy and boost ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/28/politics/election-misinformation-conspiracy-theories-what-matters/index.html?iid=cnn_buildContentRecirc_end_recirc

Article here about Donie O'Sullivan and his interviews etc for the documentary MisinfoNation. Its a bleak picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Had a chat with Donie at EP in September, really interesting and sound

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

1st Astronaut to land on Venus and 13 time Le Mans champion for 18 consecutive years reprises his role as a drag queen in hopes to raise more than a dollar per quarter

https://www.mediaite.com/news/george-santos-resurrects-his-drag-persona-kitara-ravache-in-latest-cash-grab/

• Advertisement

Lincoln Project continues goading little mushroom man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Sparko

I missed him dropping out of his reelection attempt. Hopefully he just disappears into obscurity (or jail).

Navarro loses another attempt to beg captured justices to bail him out of a 4 month prison sentence.

Whatever he’s refusing to cooperate with investigators on you can be sure he would be in way worse trouble than a 4 month sentence, such as for plotting a coup

https://www.mediaite.com/news/supreme-court-rejects-peter-navarros-bid-to-be-released-from-jail/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

What is the likelihood that the US Supreme Court will rule for Trump in at least some aspects on the question of presidential immunity?

Not that there is a question about presidential immunity in principle, but more does it cover things like telling a crowd of angry supporters that an election had been rigged against him, even after having all but one suit filed over it thrown out of court, and keeping classified documents lying about his house, and perhaps more importantly trying to get out of giving them all back, prompting a raid. Oh, and calling the Georgia Secretary of State and asking him to rustle up a few thousand more votes, as you do…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They've already ruled for him in all but name by taking the approach and the length of time that they have.

Most likely they will rule that official acts are immune and non-official acts are not and bung it back to lower courts to decide which is which and delay the whole thing long past election day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Think that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Some Official acts are immune and some aren't and unofficial acts are not immune , but Congress and/or the courts will have to define which is which.

The outcome of which will be that it will be well into next year at least before we are even close to being able to go to court about it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Good Lord Woman - Stop Talking!!!!!!!

Kristi Noem Doubles Down on Decision to Kill Family Dog, Adds That She Killed 3 Horses “a Few Weeks Ago”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Betting we'll have somebody arrive in to justify it again. It's weird when I'm agreeing with her though… I still don't get why she thought it was a good anecdote to include.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Before they start bringing up Biden's dog who kept biting Secret Service agents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why are rightists on about shooting dogs now? Did the canine union vote to become woke or something?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

A republican said something about shooting a puppy.

The "liberal woke brigade" had a go.

Therefore, they *must* double down!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's form in fairness when trump described the death of Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi as 'died like a dog'

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I mean these people will choke down well-done steak with ketchup because their Dear Leader does it and they will defend this to the death.

So we're clearly dealing with unhinged people who will stoop to any level to defend their idols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I get that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was a terrorist leader, I am tbh ignorant of the detail of his crimes and had not been following the situation in other than the broadest sense. However the comments by Trump are gloating and disgusting. It is hard to imagine any respected world leader who would use that language to describe the death of someone, no matter how bad. It emphasises his complete lack of humanity, imagination or decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

I don't imagine the GOP to attract much in the way of intelligent nor empathetic women to serve as their representatives. If they did, then many of them would have been opposed to the GOP's moves to have their own bodily rights limited. Leads me to believe that they are either generally too stupid to grasp what they have just done to themselves, or they simply don't care because it might not impact them personally.

I feel Nome is of this mould. A moderatly attractive gun-toting Bible-belter, who can appeal to the religious loons, gun-nuts and the more superficially-minded GOP voter. But she's probably about as bright the goat she shot, and putting that story into the book probably felt like something she could use to appeal to a chunk of the MAGA/GOP voters.

A stupid as her move is, my gut tells me that this will work. So much so, I think Donnie is now more likely to pick her as a VP on his ticket. She is just the right kind of block-headed car-crash that suits his brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭zerosquared

There is a picture of a woman cradling her dead dog today in news in Odessa where Russians used a cruise missile to kill a Labrador

I wonder what republicans would make of that

Edit: here https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/GxKmYea0DZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭randd1

They've probably jizzed into their MAGA hats with sheer excitement that known Christian Nationalist Vladimir Putin killed a woke Ukrainians dog in the name of Jesus under direction of Donald Trump to make America great again from the paedophile lizard democrats led by a fully mentally declined mastermind, Sleepy Joe.

Or something of a similar vein. It's hard to keep up with their mental derangement when you're not mentally deranged yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Somehow I'm reminded of the Jonathan Pie rant after Trump won in 2016, when he pointed out that insults and failing to understand the political opposition merely lead to an election failure.

Trump as a person and Trump and his policies are an active turn-off for a substantial portion of the electorate, including the swing voters who are critical to win over to succeed in the election. Yet despite this, Trump apparently is in with a reasonable chance of winning. I still think it is unlikely, but certainly more than just theoretical. You can compare a politician's intelligence to a goat all you want, but that has zero bearing on the fact that despite Biden being in a position where he should have a good headstart, he is in with a good chance of losing. For all the turn-off that Trump is making to independents, the Democrats are at absolute best generating incredible amounts of apathy to the same demographic, if not actively turning off a segment just like Trump is.

I don't see any way of getting around that conclusion, dog/puppy/canine-shooting notwithstanding. If the Democrat strategy is "look, Republicans shoot dogs and goats" on the assumption that voters consider that very high on their list of priorities over everything else (and lots uncontroversially shoot cute deer), I wouldn't consider it likely to be any more successful than the Clinton 2016 strategy.

There is a lot of focus on why Republicans deserve to lose. Where is the Democratic messaging on why they deserve to win, and how is that affecting (or not, apparently, given the polling) the swing voters?

Post edited by Manic Moran on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Who said it was a Democrat strategy? This is just something that kicked off because of comments made voluntarily by Noem. It wasn't some sort of Democrat strategy or ploy. Critical commentary against Noem is coming from all quarters.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The election comes down to swing states. Nothing more.

National polling is of very very limited use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is this not down to a significant part of the electorate placing the defence of American Democracy (such as it is ) belo the importance of using their (threat of) voting based on their view of the conflict in Israel?

Even if not a deliberate tactic (which I think it is) it deprives the Dems of motivation for the vote that really should count ,which is to prevent the rise to power of an autocrat like Trump and all thst follows.

If the Gaza situation can be resolved to a significant degree before the election maybe Biden and the Dems will be able to fight without one arm tied behind their back.

From a purely cynical pov ,if Biden "caved into" the demands of the student protesters ,I think he would probably lose more votes than he would gain.

MMichael Moore was addressing this on CNN last night basically asking Biden to appease the demonstrators.

Avowing that like Biden he was a Catholic and had been a seminarian to boot </sickbag>

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

I wonder will he have to get a bond out to pay the $9k fine.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

One of my sisters works with dogs especially "problem dogs" mainly due to the owners that they had before they end up with her.

Some are just to far gone to rehabilitate and cannot be rehomed to anyone who wouldn't be highly experienced with handling such dogs.

So euthanasia is the only option as they become more stressed in kennels. It is done by first sedating the dog in their kennel so that they aren't stressed out by a stranger (the vet) arriving at it, and when the sedation has kicked in they are then muzzled before the vet comes in to deliver the injection. In case anyone is wondering they are muzzled its because under sedation all dogs can lose their bite inhibition, and in these cases it is already low before sedation.

You would have to complete and utter cúnt to do what Noem did and an even bigger one to try and defend it and going on about liberals, woke etc not understanding.

Advertisement