Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I love this snow glow outside - it’s night but the light is quite strong. Beautiful here lovely snow covered branches on trees. Hopefully a bit more tonight and even more hopeful for second week in February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dazler97 wrote: »
    It definitely is different now I wish I was around for winter 82 that looked deadly

Winter 82 was almost overkill, I was only 8 then and I remember walking on top of snow drifts but dad told me to be careful as there were cars buried beneath them and not to jump on the snow as my foot could go through a window or damage the roof of the cars. I've never seen anything like it ever since. The drifts during Storm Emma made an attempt but they were pitiful compared to the 1982 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

TTLF wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D Funniest thing I've heard all night honestly. Guess quarantine really hit me, I should really know that, im the prime age for that stuff :pac:

In other news my hopes of good snow was squandered. My GF was pasted

Excuse me this is a weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I was here on boards for winter 82

It was actually surprisingly quiet

No-one had computers then! I was around just a child but absolutely no computers!!!

But I'm guessing you're just kidding.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was here on boards for winter 82

It was actually surprisingly quiet

On the Commodore 64 eh?? Lol!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

John.Icy wrote: »

stop you're killing me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Gonzo wrote: »
    Winter 82 was almost overkill, I was only 8 then and I remember walking on top of snow drifts but dad told me to be careful as there were cars buried beneath them and not to jump on the snow as my foot could go through a window or damage the roof of the cars. I've never seen anything like it ever since. The drifts during Storm Emma made an attempt but they were pitiful compared to the 1982 ones.

I was 8 at the time aswell. Pretty much the event that got me interested in weather in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

TTLF wrote:
    One house has snow on the roof, other didnt... Still happy with what we got though!

Wouldn't be mad about the curtains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Gonzo wrote: »

Well I would have loved to been around for 82, sounds mad i know but storm Emma is the most snow I've seen then before that was 09 and 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

John.Icy wrote: »

The lines are becoming more blurred with each Saturday night that passes, let alone each hour.

• Advertisement

No-one had computers then! I was around just a child but absolutely no computers!!!

I'm guessing he's messing, even I know there where only work computers back then

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just peeked out the curtains as I'm going to bed and see its snowing again in Letterkenny, wasn't expecting anything here tonight! Not sure how long its been going for but I cleared all the snow off the car earlier and its all covered again so a decent top up

You had turned your back on snow earlier this week. I hope you have learned your lesson:)

I'm guessing he's messing, even I know there where only work computers back then

'Tis only a gosoon that's still wet behind the ears! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

No I never joke.

I was a beta user of boards back in the eighties before the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

No snow in Dundalk at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

When this pivots how far inland are we expecting it? Could we get a top up in Virginia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well, that's that for now. Might be worthwhile checking the situation around 7:30 am and see if the sleet/snow is showing signs of coming back on to the east coast. nite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Well, that's that for now. Might be worthwhile checking the situation around 7:30 am and see if the sleet/snow is showing signs of coming back on to the east coast. nite

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Massive flakes continue to settle in coastal Wicklow. 0.3C Dp -1C
    540630.jpeg
    540629.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭R.F.

Just started again in gorey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

You had turned your back on snow earlier this week. I hope you have learned your lesson:)

Just last night in fact :D Indeed, I'll admit underestimating tonight as 'just a bit of drizzle'

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Lovely covering of snow here in central Meath. About 3 or 4cm. Huge snowflakes when it was heavy a couple of hours ago. Back to snizzle now but no sign of any thaw so will hopefully all still be there in the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Danno wrote: »
    The lines are becoming more blurred with each Saturday night that passes, let alone each hour.

What point are you trying to make here? Pretty sure they’re mocking me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Shout out to all the other '74 babies who were 8 in '82. I'm 47 in a few days.....and still love the snow like a kid. Lived out in Firhouse in '82 and the snow was about 2ft on the flat and drifted to the top of the 7 or 8ft wall of the back garden. In and around the 80's was great for Snow. '79, '82, '84 all great or fantastic snows. Had moved to Bray for the fantastic '87 snow. '91 was also decent in Bray IIRC but after that it was a dusting (inch or two) that lasted a day if we were lucky for the next 20 years till Jan 2010 and Nov/Dec 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

piplip87 wrote: »
    When this pivots how far inland are we expecting it? Could we get a top up in Virginia

I don’t think this front is going to pivot as predicted. It’s headed very far north, by at least 100 miles. But it appears to be fizzling out.

The radar says precipitation is about 15 miles to my south and we have clear skies here.

Tbh I would be content if it broke up. I would love a nice hard frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Snowing again in Moycullen in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Unless you are TTLF's girlfriend I don't see how my post is involving you :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

It definitely is different now I wish I was around for winter 82 that looked deadly

The big snow of early January 1982 remains for me the no 1 weather experience in my lifetime. As a child who grew up in a village near the Dublin/Kildare border, I will never forget the snow drifts in our local area.
    It is probably the reason why I am on a thread that now spans over 120 pages in the search for a few centimetres of snow!
    My fondness for snow started back then. I am glad though that I am not alone.
    Anyway, back on topic. The last bit of a shower that we had here in this part of Mayo was very sleety in nature. A little bit of dripping going on in the gutters earlier also. Will see what the morning brings.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Seriously? You've got to be on a wind-up to come out with a statement like this?

I've been keeping a keen eye on this thread all evening long and nobody, absolutely nobody has mentioned anything remotely that could be inferred as an insult towards you.

If this forum is too much of a mental gymnastic for you to navigate I really suggest that you take some time out and collect your thoughts before contributing any further.

It's a real pity that you seek out and find offence directed at you in this forum. Some of your posts, especially photographic contributions have been fantastic and well appreciated by the vast majority of regulars here.

As a moderator of this forum, I like to "let it flow" as much as possible (maybe it's my love of hurling and seeing a good uninterrupted hard graft game) that shines through here in my style, but so-be-it. The real-world is a tough hard place and I don't think the internet should be a "safe-space" either.

Having said that, I wouldn't resist reaching into my chest pocket and plucking out a yellow card either - where it is clearly warranted. It would be a rare occurrence. However, I would equally be tempted to reach into said pocket and flash a yellow card for feigning an injury. Consider your name in the book, no card flashed - yet. ;)

• Advertisement

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    The big snow of early January 1982 remains for me the no 1 weather experience in my lifetime. As a child who grew up in a village near the Dublin/Kildare border, I will never forget the snow drifts in our local area.
    It is probably the reason why I am on a thread that now spans over 120 pages in the search for a few centimetres of snow!
    My fondness for snow started back then. I am glad though that I am not alone.
    Anyway, back on topic. The last bit of a shower that we had here in this part of Mayo was very sleety in nature. A little bit of dripping going on in the gutters earlier also. Will see what the morning brings.

That sounds awesome but yes I get you I'm excited for 5cm where as I know there was alot more snow in the 80s and some 90s, 82 looked similar to 1963 and then again I remember my great gran saying 1947 was so bad as that's the year my great grandad died and couldn't get buried for 7 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement