Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    We need a trough or some sort of convective mechanism to enhance these showers.

But all those showers are convective...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Cant even get decent showers these days I remember years ago when we used to get cold from the northwest and west we used to get the biggest hail showers one after another covering the whole place white everytime...showers are useless these days if your looking for hail/snow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Just had five minute shower of graupel, beat that!

You always have to win Senor Pangea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Cant even get decent showers these days I remember years ago when we used to get cold from the northwest and west we used to get the biggest hail showers one after another covering the whole place white everytime...showers are useless these days if your looking for hail/snow

Yes we have always had very intense showers in Nw. I think we had an event like this before.

• Advertisement

Another shower bites the dust over Donegal! At least it’s subzero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hooter23 wrote: »

I've definitely noticed the same, those thunderous hail downpours really are a thing of the past. They used to be a frequent feature every winter from November onwards but even light hail showers have been rare this past decade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Lots of Dublin talk I know guys but how do u think the west will do on Sunday please and thank u. East Galway Craughwell.

It's a question of how far in land the showers travel I think, it only about 60 miles from Clifden to Craughwell but I am so used to watching the showers fizzle out when they reach Athenry. The conditions currently look right but will it deliver precipitation is the ever burning question?

Best advice is go to bed expecting nothing and then you won't be disappointed when you wake up, I'm presuming you want snow of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well that is what the models are predicting into Sunday atm. One area common to some of the models to get a good coating seems to be the area circled below, hard to know. The UKMO I think is projecting that the occluded front will pivot back on to itself so might fall the heaviest here ??

ECM has been the most consistent I would reckon followed by ICON.

XI4VYQS.jpg

Rn2uQQQ.png

iconeu_uk1-46-55-0_qsr4.png

nmmuk-26-47-0_mjt5.png

fEpyFe9.png

euro4_uk1-46-46-0_wqf2.png

arpegeuk-45-51-0_yqg5.png

78-780PUK_qey4.GIF

harmonieeur40-26-48-0_fid2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Support for 3-6 cm snowfalls late Sat into early Sun ranges from strong to none even this close to the event on various models. The best outcome will be if a distinct low forms west of Connacht and if temperature fields co-operate. The GFS has the best look for that combination. The ECM now promises colder temperatures by Sunday than the GFS. The GEM is generally co-operative although less robust, and the Arpege has no strong development and keeps any snow marginal. UKMO on the other hand looks fairly close to GFS. ICON was looking like a weaker variety of GFS (1-3 cm potential).

I have the feeling this could come down to last minute calls from actual obs rather than model guidance. Sort of like forecasting in the 1920s rather than the 2020s. Still, I have that experience (almost).

• Advertisement

My car is encased in a layer of ice!

https://streamable.com/9cr79l

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing some very cold 850 hPa temperature.

Widespread frost early both nights especially Sunday night

cFJfifO.gif

U7c74sK.png

bCAdZNf.png

V9oPhnt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Think I'm positioned well here in South wexford for saturday night. I'll be up for the McGregor fight anyway so hopefully will see some snow as well.

ECM and GFS are all well and good aswell as harmonie but it doesn’t help that the rest of the models are fairly ****e for tomorrow night.

Unless there’s a drastic change come morning it’s probably already a nowcast

Much more pronounced by the UKMO

zhciMnm.gif

xndUMPM.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just watched the met office forecast as I rely on that more so than ours but it shows showers coming in from the northwest around 10 or 11 and spreading down as far as the Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

All white here now ,to the layman though it is snow, you have to look really close to see the beads of graupel, nice to look at. A decent covering.

The local roads here are a nightmare. All of the rain has frozen solid, the roads are sparkling. The exact same conditions I had my crash in, I am not going out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Pangea wrote: »
    Just had five minute shower of graupel, beat that!

A good 15 mins in Newport Mayo. Some of it even stuck. Not saying I'll be flinging snowballs or anything but it's a start at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

in the past I've noticed showers that track through north Sligo generally travel inland a fair distance. as far as Roscommon I would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Just watched the met office forecast as I rely on that more so than ours but it shows showers coming in from the northwest around 10 or 11 and spreading down as far as the Midlands

Do you mean for tonight?

Spitting snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Do you mean for tonight?

Sorry yes it is for tonight, more of a chance tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Sorry yes it is for tonight, more of a chance tomorrow night.

Thanks for that. Hopefully pans out. Would be nice to get even a covering.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map#?map=CloudAndRain&fcTime=1611309600&zoom=6&lon=-4.00&lat=54.26

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

corsav6 wrote: »
    A good 15 mins in Newport Mayo. Some of it even stuck. Not saying I'll be flinging snowballs or anything but it's a start at least.
    Same here in Westport. Cars white. I will take it as a start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mimon wrote: »

this also shows tomorrow nights band of showery precipitation breaking up before reaching Meath/Dublin, but stays intact further north and further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Heavy snowfall in Ballyshannon, South Donegal tonight. https://mobile.twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1352726666360008706

This is about 1.5km away from the Finner weather station which has also seen snow in the last hour.

GFS going more like ICON in the pub run for tomorrow night with an increasingly broken up band of snow by the time it reaches Leinster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    GFS going more like ICON in the pub run for tomorrow night with an increasingly broken up band of snow by the time it reaches Leinster.

this is very likely, most other models are showing next to nothing for Meath/Dublin/Kildare tomorrow night. We still have 24 hours to go and it's the final 24 hours were the biggest downgrades regularly happen when it comes to Atlantic cold.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    this is very likely, most other models are showing next to nothing for Meath/Dublin/Kildare tomorrow night. We still have 24 hours to go and it's the final 24 hours were the biggest downgrades regularly happen when it comes to Atlantic cold.

872-F62-F8-C0-D3-4-BC6-B82-F-B4-F0787-F8887.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement