Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I remember that being Corbyn's policy but it doesn't sound like it's the same now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Times change. The DUP torpedoed their many chances to get Brexit, their greasy little bung and power over the Tories.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You are right, but I think you are misreading the DUP. Their aim was never Brexit or SM/CU. They wanted NI to become important again and move closer to GB.

They now have the entire UK government backing them on staying outside the assembly. DUP are de facto calling the shots in NI and they have got Conservatives to openly side with them. No more of this this 'honest broker' nonsense. Ni is, and always will be part of the UK.

They are not worried about the economics off, any more than Brexiteers are of it for the UK. From a DUP POV, Brexit has been a huge success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't believe so.

They, for reasons best known to them, decided to help incite radical, unpredictable constitutional change. They then rejected a solution which offered what they said they wanted, Brexit, no border and full trade with the UK.

The government is not backing the DUP. It's using them as a prop and they're falling for it. Again.

How has Brexit been a success for the DUP? Unionism is in a coma waiting for generational shifts to pull the plug, there's a customs border in the Irish Sea and they've had abortion and now an Irish language Act implemented. Every single move they've made has been disastrous for them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That might be what they want. But the manner in which they have tried to make that happen has resulted in the polar opposite occuring, repeatedly, to the extent you have to wonder about the base levels of intelligence within the DUP leadership. If there's a other Executive election their support might disappear further.

I think they're being "backed" insofar as London thinks it has leverage in further negotiations with the EU. We want this, or else book goes the Protocol. This time they're sure Johnson won't throw them under the bus. He promised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Case taken by a Brit living in France since 1984? Are they for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Well, Bloomberg thought so. Seems like she's losing her ability to vote in the French elections and the UK won't let her vote in UK elections because she's lived overseas for 15 years. I think her disenfranchisement problem is solved by her moving back to the UK, if that's what she really wants. But I see no problem with the ECJ saying you're not an EU citizen anymore when you're not an EU citizen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

They wanted a border with the Republic. Any solution that doesn't offer that will be opposed. They can't outright say it. Nor can they realistically get it but it is what they want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

'They wanted a border with the Republic. Any solution that doesn't offer that will be opposed. They can't outright say it. Nor can they realistically get it but it is what they want.'

If they do get a real border, with barbed wire and border guards, it will not last long.

It will be eliminated by the consequential united Ireland. I cannot see the majority of NI going along with such a border, with the cultural and economic consequences. The NI dairy, pig and sheep businesses would all collapse. As a result, there would be a demand for a border poll, and subsequent unification.

And that is ignoring any response from the men of violence, if there would be any. Such action would likely be counterproductive to a UI - as in the past.

I'm not so sure. That was never going to happen. I think they just wanted to be special and relevant by tagging along with the Tories. Don't get me wrong, I doubt they'd get upset were a hard border to appear but that was never, ever going to be permitted to happen. It'd destroy the UK's standing, or what remains of it globally.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

I think this BoJo/ Tory government stopped giving a toss about the UK's standing a long time ago. Perfidious Albion isn't a newly minted term!!

They are like a needy child that needs attention from Mammy. Doesn't matter if they are actually relevant or just pawns as long as the Tories acknowledge them and tell them they are good little boys and girls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So what exactly was then point of Starmer visiting Ireland in the first place? I presume simply some cute photo op chance to look like a PM in waiting, but was there anything of actual substance to be gleaned? He met the Irish head of state so presumably Kildare St. was happy enough to indulge ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely at a time described as an "all time low in Anglo-Irish relations", it is good that a potential UK head of state is willing to be a friend to Ireland and recognise the interdependence between the two countries.

Oi. I never said that? I'm just curious cos you don't generally see or read rival politicians visit foreign shores, especially UK ones. Can't think of the last time it might have happened. Just not convinced to the usefulness, given a general election is still way off - and it can't have been noticed in the UK press either.

Doesn't equate to "grr, labour bad". No doubt the DUP thought it was a terrible idea.

It's nice to see anyone in Politics here take any sort of genuine interest in Ireland. In various workplaces, I tend to be the guy who explains to management why so many people died in the Troubles.

H. H. Asquith

That's fair enough, I do take the point, even if I remain unconvinced as to the value it might hold. I certainly hope PM Starmer is a thing, if only to turf the charlatans out of office.

I daresay Starmer left Higgins' office feeling quite bewildered to have met a head of state who was so clearly intelligent, empathetic, and of a poetic bent. Far cry from the calibre he's used to dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

The country is politically myopic, in denial, paralysed. They'll not come out of it any time soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Thinking long term, I really hope we re-establishment our links with Irish America to the younger generation of Irish Americans so a Tory government won't shaft us in the decades over the Protocol to come. I disagree with Sinn Fein on most things, but I don't believe Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are doing enough to reach out - but I think SF would do more in this regard. We are very lucky Biden and Pelosi have such power at the moment.

I hate reading how Irish people on social media scoff at how Irish Americans describe themselves as Irish. I love how they still have a connection to the homeland, the old country. We can and must do more to maintain the connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think you missed my disbelief of someone not regularising their status after living in France for 38 years! :)

Delighted with the stinging "get up the yard" from the ECJ.

I think for the time being, our links with America are fairly solid regardless of how Irish its political members are; the GFA is one of the few unblemished gems within American foreign policy, and often receives cross-partisan support whenever it has wobbled. And while the Trump administration seemed barely aware of the basics at the best of times, Biden's own admin restored the stubborn and determined opinion that the US wouldn't support anything that might jeopardise the GFA. Threatening to pull trade deals with the UK if Westminister did put the agreement at risk.

Re. connections? The demographics of America are changing, one generation at a time, and the power of the Irish-American has waned a tad; it's still there, and is often Old Money these days but the US' ethnic makeup is, IIRC, moving in a Latin direction. But as I said, the Good Friday Agreement is too precious to American politics to simply let it drift 'cos its politicians are more Juans than Seans these days. Not to get too off-topic mind you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ITV getting praise for finally addressing the 'B' word:

Would be nice to see greater scrutiny from the mainstream media, particularly the BBC.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They'd have to vote to become a republic first...

Life ain't always empty.

Piffle. Sure who can trust something with "European" in the name? Maybe if ITV keep at it, Nadine Dorries will appear, suddenly threatening to pull the public funding ITV doesn't have (open to correction).

I would call ITV the mainstream media. I think they see some room because they are private and TV media here is regulated for fairness.

That said, it's refreshing to see them actually say it instead of pussyfooting about as normal.

H. H. Asquith

For sure, but the lady at the end is the splash of cold water after all that pragmatic talk. Presumably, she has experienced no great economic hardships herself, thus why she's so glib about the pain of Brexit - all for that wishy-washy promise of "sovereignty". I wonder does she have (gran)kids who might sing a different tune. By the looks of it, she was running a food stall, the fish coming from the local catches I guess ... so yeah, she possibly hasn't seen any negative effect.

She's alright so either everyone is or she doesn't care. Very common attitude amongst Brexiters IME.

My aunt'd be similar. I got into a row with her pre-referendum and she was saying that no matter what happens, we'd survive. She lives in a million pound, detached home in north London, owns a property portfolio and, funnily enough, exclusively employs Romanins for her husband's plumbing business though he did vote Remain.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not sure if it will have a massive effect but someone needs to try and take charge of this and that person will never be Boris. So in my view worth a shot even if nothing comes of it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I would expect ITV to make the running on this, as indeed they did on partygate, because of the fact that the BBC is paralysed by it's license fee woes.

Sadly ITV has lost its flagship current affairs shows , e.g. This Week and World In Action.

(BTW and completely off topic, check out on BBC sounds the episode of "The Reunion" about Death On The Rock and marvel how entrenched positions still are).

Advertisement