Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had a Covid 19 vaccine yet? - poll added 02/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Yes - Moderna first jab
    jos28 wrote: »
    Has any vaccinated person been able to opt for a vaccine brand other than the one scheduled for them. I'm very reluctant to take AZ (I won't go into details). I'd feel much happier taking Pfizer. Anyone had any luck sourcing an alternative through their GP, Pharmacy or wherever ???

Most people including myself are. Same goes for my colleagues who are HCW.

Unfortunately no choice at the moment and if you want to travel this summer without issues being fully vaccinated helps your chances a lot so myself and colleagues will be getting our second doses soon unless they decide to change plans in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

smurfjed wrote: »
    Had my 2nd dose today, Pfizer this time, 6 weeks after an AZ shot.

Guess that this is the best of both worlds :)

(Not in ireland)

where do you live?

I didn't realise that mixing vaccine brands was a standard practice.. wer trials needed for that?

are we doing that here?

lots of Qs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes - Moderna first jab
    For anyone suffering a sore arm mine is at last better . Day 4 post AZ and I feel much better today and the foggy head has cleared too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Yes - Moderna first jab
    sporina wrote: »
    where do you live?

I didn't realise that mixing vaccine brands was a standard practice.. wer trials needed for that?

are we doing that here?

lots of Qs

Few countries in EU are doing this after suspending/restricting the use of AZ. So those with 1st dose of AZ can get a second dose of a different vaccine.

Norway, Denmark, Finland, France and Germany.

Ireland is not doing it but as more data becomes available in next while you never know we might follow the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,717 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Second moderna shot taken. Heard from everyone I knew and saw my OH take it that they all had flu symptoms. She ran a fever. Thought I was pretty in the clear from all that, 24+ hours after the injection - 30 hours later, however, after being sus of some mild, mild nausea, and that fever comes out of nowhere like a truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

"Researchers said that the first dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab offers protection of 76% up to three months and may reduce transmission by 67% – with efficacy rising to 82.4% after the second dose 12 weeks later."

Have had the 1st dose.. for a 6.4% in protection - I don't think i'll bother getting the 2nd dose.. thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

"Researchers said that the first dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab offers protection of 76% up to three months and may reduce transmission by 67% – with efficacy rising to 82.4% after the second dose 12 weeks later."

Have had the 1st dose.. for a 6.4% in protection - I don't think i'll bother getting the 2nd dose.. thoughts?

After 3 months you won't have 76% protection, only much lower, so it will be more than 6,4% at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Yeah I believe the effectiveness of the first dose will reduce over time so the second dose will boost it up to 80% plus and hold it there for a much longer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Yes - Moderna first jab
    "Researchers said that the first dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab offers protection of 76% up to three months and may reduce transmission by 67% – with efficacy rising to 82.4% after the second dose 12 weeks later.”

That’s a disappointingly low overall number. How do they measure efficacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes - Moderna first jab
    I'm feeling completely normal now, 3 weeks after the first

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 31 Ollie Cromwell

Travelled to the UK at the end of February for my Pfizer jab.No side effects and expect to travel over again shortly for the 2nd shot.
    Guard at Dublin airport said " you lucky so and so.Still waiting for mine.I'd do exactly the same thing if I was you."
    Took the missus over a month ago for an AZ jab and got my grown-up kids at Uni there done at the same time by applying online and saying they were unpaid carers.
    All will get another shot by June.
    If the Irish government think I won't be going on my July holliers to the Greek villa we had to postpone from last year they're sadly mistaken.
    I always guessed a Covid passport would be the key to unlocking travel.
    " Reason for travelling to the UK sir ? "
    I apply online for an appointment at my old GPs in Blighty a week or so beforehand.
    " Essential medical appointment of a sensitive nature officer " will head off any further questioning.
    Appointment cancelled online in the departure lounge shortly thereafter.
    I got the idea from that dentist in Lanzarote ...

abff wrote: »

As the flu vaccine only offers around 50% efficacy I'd say 82.4% is bloomin' marvellous.
    It stops you dying too which is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

abff wrote: »

That's a staggeringly effective vaccine, even moreso when you consider that 12 months ago there was a very strong possibility that the vaccine wouldn't even pass the necessary clinical trials.

What science has done is outstanding. Pity about the logistics of it, but the AZ vaccine just like the others being used now are medical breakthroughs.

Yes - Moderna first jab
    Travelled to the UK at the end of February for my Pfizer jab.No side effects and expect to travel over again shortly for the 2nd shot.
    Guard at Dublin airport said " you lucky so and so.Still waiting for mine.I'd do exactly the same thing if I was you."
    Took the missus over a month ago for an AZ jab and got my grown-up kids at Uni there done at the same time by applying online and saying they were unpaid carers.
    All will get another shot by June.
    If the Irish government think I won't be going on my July holliers to the Greek villa we had to postpone from last year they're sadly mistaken.
    I always guessed a Covid passport would be the key to unlocking travel.
    " Reason for travelling to the UK sir ? "
    I apply online for an appointment at my old GPs in Blighty a week or so beforehand.
    " Essential medical appointment of a sensitive nature officer " will head off any further questioning.
    Appointment cancelled online in the departure lounge shortly thereafter.
    I got the idea from that dentist in Lanzarote ...

are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yes - J&J

Username checks out: (*_*)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Wifes parents fully vaccinated. My parents getting 2nd dose tomorrow. All 4 are mid - late 70s. Moderna / Pfizer respectively.
    My wife got her 1st jab (AZ) 7 weeks ago. (F 44 yo - HSE worker)
    I'm getting my first jab (Pfizer) Friday. (M 46 yo)
    My sister is also getting the same on Friday (F 43 yo)

Both received text from GP to book appointment.

We both have asthma so i'm guessing that's why we're getting it so early.
    I wasn't expecting to get it until late summer so it's a relief tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yes - Moderna first jab
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    are they?
    What do you think?....

Yes - Moderna first jab
    Wifes parents fully vaccinated. My parents getting 2nd dose tomorrow. All 4 are mid - late 70s. Moderna / Pfizer respectively.

wasnt expecting to be done till next year, unexpectedly got called up, delighted now, ive had enough of this now

Yes - Moderna first jab
    gmisk wrote: »
    What do you think?....

i suspect not, but id rather not be judgmental

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Got a slight dry cough a day after getting a Pfizer shot. No temperature rise or other side effects.

Cough gone after a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Yes - J&J

My wife has chronic asthma and is older but has heard nothing yet. I suppose that it’s luck of the draw regarding where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

dan786 wrote: »
    Few countries in EU are doing this after suspending/restricting the use of AZ. So those with 1st dose of AZ can get a second dose of a different vaccine.

My only issue with this approach is that I’m not sure if a 3rd vaccination is required, so that you have the booster of the 2nd type of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cough gone after a day.

🎤B-b-b-b-byeee corona!🎼

Yes - Moderna first jab
    Panrich wrote: »
    My wife has chronic asthma and is older but has heard nothing yet. I suppose that it’s luck of the draw regarding where you live.

it does seem that some regions are oddly prioritised, i would have had no problem waiting myself, felt others should have been put before myself

are they?

Nope.
    Of course not being a total cad I waited until the most at-risk cohorts, everyone over 50, had been done.
    Going online to apply you could get an appointment anywhere in the country at any time even by the next day - there's a lot of capacity in the system.
    The same application also produced an appointment for a second shot 12 weeks later.
    They were never asked if they were unpaid carers.
    Of course any Irish person with an NHS number is perfectly able to game the system as well.
    I know several who have after the Northern Ireland option was closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Panrich wrote: »

Get on to your GP. I have a feeling that people need to chase GP's in certain areas

Yes - Moderna first jab
    No.
    I waited until the most at-risk cohorts, everyone over 50, had been done.
    Going online to apply you could get an appointment anywhere in the country at any time even by the next day - there's a lot of capacity in the system.
    The same application also produced an appointment for a second shot 12 weeks later.
    They both got done at the Excel Centre in London.
    They were never asked if they were unpaid carers.

id question your approach and judgements, none of us know exactly whats going on in our health care systems, in regards vaccinations, i certainly would not be recommending your approach, as it might add more complexity into the situation, and possibly cause people with underlying health care issues, being delayed

id question your approach and judgements, none of us know exactly whats going on in our health care systems, in regards vaccinations, i certainly would not be recommending your approach, as it might add more complexity into the situation, and possibly cause people with underlying health care issues, being delayed

Anyone with an underlying health issue already had the option of a vaccine by that stage.
    I jumped the 18-50 age group for my kids.
    I'm not a total bar steward ... :)

Yes - Moderna first jab
    Anyone with an underlying health issue already had the option of a vaccine by that stage.
    I jumped the 18-50 age group for my kids.
    I'm not a total bar steward ... :)

again, you dont know this for certain, there would be more vulnerable people in all age groups, just allow these systems to decide as much as possible, the more we interact with the vaccination systems, the more complex they become, and the more likely delays will occur, particular for those that may need it quicker than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Yes - J&J
    Got mine (32, cohort 4) last week, Pfizer.
    The mother (late fifties, cohort 7) got hers yesterday (moderna).

No ill effects except I was vomiting on and off for 24 hours.

Advertisement