Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness SIX Nations 2021

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Theyre are quite patently the worst team in the competition (15 wooden spoons out of 21).... however their presence doesn't in any way reduce the meritocracy of the results of the competition.

Its not like getting zebre in a Heineken cup pool and an easy 2 extra points, when youre up against other teams who dont play them.

The actual competition is whether you can get the TBP or not.

This year was actually the first year since TBPS were introduced that every team scored at least 4 trys and gained the extra point.. so playing them DOES have an impact on the end result of the competition .. and you do have to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMC83

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Theyre are quite patently the worst team in the competition (15 wooden spoons out of 21).... however their presence doesn't in any way reduce the meritocracy of the results of the competition.

Its not like getting zebre in a Heineken cup pool and an easy 2 extra points, when youre up against other teams who dont play them.

The actual competition is whether you can get the TBP or not.

This year was actually the first year since TBPS were introduced that every team scored at least 4 trys and gained the extra point.. so playing them DOES have an impact on the end result of the competition .. and you do have to perform.

Hmm dunno if I agree with that. This year they were terrible across the board but in the past theres been a difference between their quality of play at the start verses the end.

Lets be honest though, they are a gimmie now for anyone. If you have Italy first up and then a weeks break it feels like ages before your team actually get going in the 6N.

PMC83 wrote: »
    Hmm dunno if I agree with that. This year they were terrible across the board but in the past theres been a difference between their quality of play at the start verses the end .

they suffer they same attrition and malaise as other teams do.
    look to this year as to how scotland finish the competition compared to how they start it.

teams playing them still have to perform though.

the fact that no team this year used their game against them to put out the seconds says enough, even though they were being trounced each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah its a bit of a cliche but given their lack of depth compared to others at the minute, they do start tournaments better than they finish. They were a bit unfortunate that their schedule was France (the best team in the tournament with a game best suited to blowing them away), England away (probably the most physical side), Ireland (still convinced were at worst the third best side in the tournament), then Wales (flying by this stage due to how the first few games fell their way). Had they got wales or scotland earlier they wouldve lost but it might not have been as heavy each time.

Having said that, until they sort their discipline and first up tackles out (probably the easiest fixes in the game) they are starting about two scores down at least every time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Hopefully Scotland put in agood show tonight and deneg thr frogs the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Have Scotland had a good tournament after all theearkyhype?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Be interesting to see if DVDM and Hogg can hurt them. Fikou is in to curtail that threat and then Thomas to pick up the piecers late on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I thought we all wanted the French to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

we do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Free to air after all.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

So if Scotland win by 6 or 7 points we end up 4th?

schmoo2k wrote: »
    So if Scotland win by 6 or 7 points we end up 4th?

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Important for permutations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tmc1963

.....Let's hope the Jimmy's can pay back a 22 year old debt tomorrow evening and turn France over ...... :)

I'd say it was repaid a few weeks ago at Murrayfield.

As far as I know, we can't stay in second. Scotland with a non bonus point win will draw level with France and us, but if they win by more than 6 they'll move into second. If they win by less than 7 France move into second with the losing bonus point.

So do we want to be third behind Wales and Scotland, or third behind Wales/France or worst case scenario 4th behind Scotland, France and Wales.

Personally I'd like to see France take the title, it's been a while and they've played some nice rugby. I also think that Wales have by and large been extraordinarily fortune this tournament (not to the degree some on here suggest) but enough that I'd like to see the honours go to France for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

As far as I know, we can't stay in second. Scotland with a non bonus point win will draw level with France and us, but if they win by more than 6 they'll move into second. If they win by less than 7 France move into second with the losing bonus point.

So do we want to be third behind Wales and Scotland, or third behind Wales/France or worst case scenario 4th behind Scotland, France and Wales.

Personally I'd like to see France take the title, it's been a while and they've played some nice rugby. I also think that Wales have by and large been extraordinarily fortune this tournament (not to the degree some on here suggest) but enough that I'd like to see the honours go to France for a change.

It would be amusing to see the celtic teams 1, 2 and 3. It's almost a complete reversal of last year and completely unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So if we'd beaten Wales we would have won the 6N.

Thanks, POM.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

So if we'd beaten Wales we would have won the 6N.

Thanks, POM.

Bronze medalists, the Millennium Trophy, and Centenary Quaiche, its still a very satisfactory campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I really don't see this as a really satisfactory campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

Finished on a high for me as I had Scotland win to at 9/2!!!

• Advertisement

£2.7 million for Irelands 3rd place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Congratulations Wales. They will be kicking themselves not to have pulled off the Grand Slam.

Wales, Scotland and France played the best rugby with all showing ability to counter attack. England and Ireland are still playing a limited game especially Ireland and the reliance on the box kick. Not surprising that the best games involved the first 3.

It will be at least 12 years now since France last won the 6 Nations - an incredible decline for them. They have some decent players but the influx of foreigners into the Top 14 is not allowing home grown talent to come through I guess.

6 Nations record now reads -
    7 titles England
    6 Wales
    5 France
    4 Ireland
    0 Scotland & Italy

A pretty poor return for Ireland considering how strong our club sides have been while Wales is the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bronze medalists, the Millennium Trophy, and Centenary Quaiche, its still a very satisfactory campaign.

Don't forget the Quidditch Cup trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm not sure I'd like a one hundred year old quiche.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Great win for Scotland last night in what was an entertaining game in difficult conditions.

Some consolation for us for Saturday ..... also a lot better to win it outright rather than on a points differential (something I'm just not a fan of).

Overall a decent tournament. Very little between the teams bar Italy who are now simply providing a live training exercise.

Hopefully full grounds again next year ......... missed my annual trips!

Great win for Scotland last night in what was an entertaining game in difficult conditions.

Some consolation for us for Saturday ..... also a lot better to win it outright rather than on a points differential (something I'm just not a fan of).

Overall a decent tournament. Very little between the teams bar Italy who are now simply providing a live training exercise.

Hopefully full grounds again next year ......... missed my annual trips!
    I would have added England to the 'Italy' list. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Just watching the highlights again, and france can feel very unhappy with Wayne Barnes in the last few minutes.

At 82:42 the French replacement hooker and big second row get straight in over the ball and are supporting their weight, and Barnes yells at them to release.

Then the very last ruck, Ritchie just flops straight onto a ruck to seal it off before getting in a more legit body position right in front of Barnes.

I know there's loads of difficult calls at ruck time, but after giving Scotland the original penalty, he shouldn't be missing those.

Just watching the highlights again, and france can feel very unhappy with Wayne Barnes in the last few minutes.

At 82:42 the French replacement hooker and big second row get straight in over the ball and are supporting their weight, and Barnes yells at them to release.

Then the very last ruck, Ritchie just flops straight onto a ruck to seal it off before getting in a more legit body position right in front of Barnes.

I know there's loads of difficult calls at ruck time, but after giving Scotland the original penalty, he shouldn't be missing those.
    Had the ruck formed by then though? I noticed this as well, but didn't rewind to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Scotland shouldn't be celebrating that win at all.

They lost the game.

For some bizarre reason the French no 15 didn't just run into touch lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Scotland shouldn't be celebrating that win at all.

They lost the game.

For some bizarre reason the French no 15 didn't just run into touch lol.

France with one of the most deserved and real victories since Ireland beat New Zealand in 2013!

Advertisement