Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness SIX Nations 2021

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,222 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How the **** have Wales won this

Shooting a little early there....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hope Wales win the Grand Slam... Best team this year for me and the results prove that... Think it'll be close tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Shooting a little early there....

Yeah fair point somehow forgot about the France Scotland game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Yeah fair point somehow forgot about the France Scotland game.

You also forgot about the France/Wales game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You also forgot about the France/Wales game!

Nah I didnt, points wise France can't catch them with just this game. Forgot all teams weren't on same games played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Wow, allez le France

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Delighted would have been the luckiest/undeserved grand slam I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What a wonderful game that was.
    Hard luck to Wales. They have been the best team in the championship and I think they will win it out.

I love the brand of rugby they play. Always a high tempo. Compared to the Ireland England game today and the endless box kicking.

France are still a bit away from being a very good team. Their scrum still lucks vulnerable especially when they need to go to the reserves. O'Gara made a very good point about their discipline and how they can get away with it in the French league where the home team gets the 50 50 decision. Still a win like that at the death will give them great confidence going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Delighted would have been the luckiest/undeserved grand slam I can remember.

Totally agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

FFS .... 50 seconds to go FFS !!

That was a great game of rugby. Given a days reflection I'm actually OK about it. [That wasn't the case on Saturday night].

That was our best performance of the tournament [by some distance] even though we fell short in the end.

We looked really sharp and are beginning to figure out ways to get our strike players into the game. This bodes really well for the future.

Some great lessons for both players & coaches ...... act on them & the experience of this defeat will also serve us well going forward.

From a result perspective that was one that definitely got away .... we were the dominant team for most of the first half & I really fancied our chances at half time. We got in front & for me the big moment was the play leading up to the LRZ no try. Could .... probably should have been a penalty try. At 34-20 the game is that little bit further away from France. You win some you lose some ..... Funnily enough the Josh Adams try could also have been a penalty try with Penaud making a tackle whilst on the floor [he could also have seen yellow] .... you win some you lose some.

France also played really well ..... we know they have flair players but their grit in defence is now making them a serious team. They really put it to us in that final quarter ... we lost our shape a bit ..... followed by our minds which led to the cards. From our perspective key moments during that mad period were:
    • The substitutions. Four of them at the same time whilst we were on our 22.
    • The confusion. Plan A the T Williams clearance became Plan B a pass to Sheedy who panicked a bit & kicked it downfield leaving HH offside. Poor play but might never have happened if Biggar & Davies had stayed on the pitch.
    • The turnover. On our try line. Sheedy looks to pass to LW then opts to kick. The kick has to go out. It doesn't & LW is yellow carded. Sheedy's first instinct to pass was the better option .... I think we missed a really good opportunity there.
    • The WC Fields moment. "Never give a sucker an even break". Well we managed it with seconds left with the sealing off penalty. it was coming as we were not taking the ball hard enough into the contact.

All things considered I'm over it ..... if we can take this blueprint forward we are going to become a very good side over the next 2/3 years.

FWIW I think France will wallop Scotland on Friday & good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I thought Wales were excellent on Saturday. It goes to show what momentum and confidence can do for a side. France were very.....France. Showed some outstanding stuff at times and awful stuff others (that scrum decision at the end, WTF!?).

Wales may have gotten insanely lucky throughout the tournament, but that performance should definitely be a benchmark now. I'm not sure how many teams could have lived with that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1373692106355712001?s=20

You need to have some emotional resilience and fortitude to be a modern rugby player.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,222 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You need to have some emotional resilience and fortitude to be a modern rugby player.

agreed, though i think most pro players would stay off social media and / or take twitter for being the cesspit that it is

welshrugbyunions twitter page redacting those handles does nothing to help either

if those handles have the courage of their convictions to stand behind what they published, then let them be named.
    all WRU is doing there is giving license to the next round of vitriolic hyperbolic abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

How has Genge not been cited...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

If we're being honest... that's absolutely nothing compared to some of the stuff directed at black football players ... unfortunately I find that, stand up to racism & kick it out campaigns have the opposite effect... lockdown is hitting all sports hard with online trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭joficeduns1

RTE could have put a bit more effort into their Lions XV presentation on Against the Head. Can't be hard to put them in formation and have a counter per country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Only seeing this stat now, but that's pretty impressive:

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1373971096895172615

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

always said he was a backrow stuck in a backs body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I first became conscious of what rugby was as a child 20 years ago, watching 6 Nations games. Then, as now, I was told that Italy are poor but that they've good young players, are improving and will be good within a few years. Then as I got older and started reading about the game myself I started hearing that Italy have good club and underage structures in place and just need to wait for these players to come through under a good coach and all will be good.

Yet here we are, 16 wooden spoons in 21 seasons later, 7 years since their last win and with 4th being their best performance. Even with the bonus point system they've managed a single point in the last 5 years.

How long can this utter delusion continue? Another 20 years?

I'm not saying to kick them out, but it's almost insulting to hear the same crap about Italy being an improving team being spewed every year when there's no evidence of it.

If I could thank this post another 10 times I would.

Anyone with a genuine appreciation for competitive rugby union knows deep down how much of a farce this arrangement is. Its 5 home nations teams competing against each other and a couple of games against Italy to scalp a nice haul of tries. They've had 21 years to improve. We all want them to get better but the fact is they're actually getting worse. We've heard this rubbish year in year out about give them another few years, they're a young team etc etc.

Its time for change. I'm not saying boot them out of the competition but something needs to happen.

Just reading an article there with ROG and he reckons that Italy should be cut loose from the 6 nations, or at the very least made playoff against someone like Georgia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Just reading an article there with ROG and he reckons that Italy should be cut loose from the 6 nations, or at the very least made playoff against someone like Georgia

A) Why would anyone agree to fewer 6N games? The broadcasters won't for sure. Kicking Italy out means one team sits on their arse each weekend instead.

B) Georgia are worse.

I hate these takes. They are not based on reality.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    A) Why would anyone agree to fewer 6N games? The broadcasters won't for sure. Kicking Italy out means one team sits on their arse each weekend instead.

B) Georgia are worse.

I hate these takes. They are not based on reality.

He's advocating a replacement, not less games.
    He was offered a coaching position with Italy a couple of seasons ago and he said no....he believes they bring nothing to the 6n and it's time for change

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A playoff with Georgia would be Italy's most competitive game every year and give the Rugby Europe guys something to play for.

But the 6 Nations would be terrified by the idea of Georgia winning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

If I could thank this post another 10 times I would.

Anyone with a genuine appreciation for competitive rugby union knows deep down how much of a farce this arrangement is. Its 5 home nations teams competing against each other and a couple of games against Italy to scalp a nice haul of tries. They've had 21 years to improve. We all want them to get better but the fact is they're actually getting worse. We've heard this rubbish year in year out about give them another few years, they're a young team etc etc.

Its time for change. I'm not saying boot them out of the competition but something needs to happen.
    What is the something that needs to happen?
    They joined just after beating Ireland several times, beat Scots, ran english close. They deserved to go up and there isnt a better alternative.

It isnt going to be any better with adding Georgia in their place or having the two replace each other every second year but Georgia and Romania etc just need more games every summer and November against all of the 6 nations as well as other top ranked sides,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd love to see a situation where there's an autumn test every year between each side in the 6 Nations and their equivalent from Rugby Europe. It'd be a developmental team from the top side but it'd be decent I'd say and at least give some support to those countries. Another thing that would never happen obviously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

But the 6 Nations would be terrified by the idea of Georgia winning

Which I'm sure they might eventually.

Italy have beaten every 6N team except England after all. And several repeatedly. But if Georgia win some kind of one off game against Italy it will just be a precursor to even worse hammerings in the 6N.
    I'd love to see a situation where there's an autumn test every year between each side in the 6 Nations and their equivalent from Rugby Europe. It'd be a developmental team from the top side but it'd be decent I'd say and at least give some support to those countries. Another thing that would never happen obviously.

Fully agree with this. Georgia deserve far more autumn games then they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Italy are worth their place for super Saturday alone. all the games can mean something even if one side up against Italy is looking to have a big score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I wouldn't want to go back to 5 Nations...fewer games...less money and at the moment that is important.

Advertisement