Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland & the Single Market post Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Datacore wrote: »
    And who makes the profit on that? The brand!
    The value isn’t added at the milk production end. It’s added when you formulate it into a product and put it on a shelf.

The daft bit is we are chasing what are essentially commodities markets when we should have been developing global brands and leveraging our image.

Kerrygold’s success is something we should be doing a hell of a lot more of.

Obviously we have some success stories like Kerry Foods and so on, but we could be way higher up those ranks than we are.

It’s way off topic but, you’d expect Ireland to have a Danone, a Nestle or a Fonterra. We’re only beginning to get to that level in relatively recent years.

My point is that’s not about the EU single market being a threat. It’s that we’ve not done enough to leverage our position in Europe and globally to move up those value chains.

It’s an area that shows we over focused on FDI companies and didn’t grow our own brands in a way we really could have and are only recently realising.

Access to the EU markets should be giving us a huge market to develop products for and sell into.

A huge % of Irish food exports are unbranded commodity items and that does not compare well to say France or even the U.K.

If we are going to be a serious agrifood player that has to change. Otherwise we’re just primary producers.

My point is rather than bemoaning the loss of protectionism and coming up with reasons why the EU is somehow negative, we need to be using the huge market far more than we do.

The decoupling from the U.K. might perhaps serve as a wake up call too.

Glanbia is our Fonterra albeit it is moving more towards cheese accompanied by whey protein drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

Marcusm wrote: »
    Glanbia is our Fonterra albeit it is moving more towards cheese accompanied by whey protein drinks!

They’re moving that way but by comparison we are a late arrival and inexplicably so.

My point is that we need to be doing much, much more of this and building internationally recognised brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We've Ornua, Kerry and Glanbia in the global scale food company field. There's also a very vague rumour that "someone" (read: C&C) may buy Diageo's beer and cider ops - Guinness basically - which would return us to having an Irish global scale drinks company again.

As goes vegetable production - there was an interesting RTE feature a while ago on mushroom farming having collapsed due to Brexit, and people using their old mushroom halls for computer controlled hydroponic production of salad veg, herbs etc - all imported outside of peak summer really.

As I was saying we are getting there but later than many of our counterparts in Europe. It’s the direction we need to be going though rather than chasing around after low margin commodities or harking after bygone eras of state industries and protectionism. That’s the kind of delusion that walked the U.K. into Brexit or Trump supporters into trying to reopen coal mines.

The protection is well branded products that are innovative enough to find and maintain market share.

Disconnecting from the U.K. supply chains also opens up a lot of space for Irish companies to replace them.

Look at where Yogurts went over the last few years. We had dominance of mostly international brands (many produced in the U.K. or for U.K. supply chains primarily) Yoplait, Danone, Muller, etc but that market is increasingly dominated by Glenisk in particular and that came on from nowhere with an excellent product and is selling successfully overseas based on products developed for the domestic market.

It’s not all just about replacing U.K. products with more imports. It’s also a breathing space for domestic brands.

It’s not a tiny market either. The total Irish retail market (all of it not just food) is worth about €40 billion a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Sugar beet is a good fit for the Irish agriculture economy. It provide sufficient sugar for the Irish market as it used to do before sugar production was abandoned in 2006 following a reduction of EU sugar quotas - Irish Sugar (Greencore) took the compo route.

Also, it is a cash crop for the farmers with the by-product of sugar beet pulp which is a good feed supplement for cattle, thus reducing imported grain.

When it was in business, Irish Sugar provided freight traffic for Irish Rail, which provided jobs and revenue to IR.

All in all, it was a mistake to abandon sugar beet.

The sugar beet factory should have been in Wexford and all beet grown within 20 miles of it.
    That is the European model of beet production.
    Loading beet onto trains and hauling it 100 miles up the country was insanity and shockingly inefficient. No other country had specifically designated beet trains drawing beet all over the place. Basically an entire rail industry drawing massive tonnage of beet that was 70% water. There was massive inefficiency through out the entire Irish beet industry which was rooted in politics of the era of the 1930’s and not on any sound economic sense.
    As was mentioned above it is an industry that could prosper in this country if done right.

• Advertisement

20silkcut wrote: »
    The sugar beet factory should have been in Wexford and all beet grown within 20 miles of it.
    Loading beet onto trains and hauling it 100 miles up the country was insanity and shockingly inefficient. No other country had specifically designated beet trains drawing beet all over the place. Basically an entire rail industry drawing 70% water.

Fairly typical of many former state industries. Take Irish Steel - no iron ore locally, scrap metal for recycling had to be imported by ship. Ireland is very far away and has extremely expensive electricity and it caused huge environmental damage.

Why we ever thought it was a good idea to try and create a steel industry is beyond me.

It’s not just a case of any job is good. You can’t build an industry on a political whim if it hasn’t got the fundamentals to support it.

But anyway, that isn’t where we are now.

Hopefully we will be finding opportunities in the months ahead amongst them challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Irish beet industry was based on the same principle as Bord na Mona - self sufficiency

Irish beet industry was based on the same principle as Bord na Mona - self sufficiency

In an era when there was no EU, no rules based global trade, protectionism was the norm and when we'd had an economic war with the UK, which was our only major export market and wars between 'the great powers' were always imminent, so you couldn't rely on anything.

We aren't in that situation now. If anything, that's where the Brexiteers are taking the UK - a sort of imagined turn of the 20th century Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Datacore wrote: »
    As I was saying we are getting there but later than many of our counterparts in Europe. It’s the direction we need to be going though rather than chasing around after low margin commodities or harking after bygone eras of state industries and protectionism. That’s the kind of delusion that walked the U.K. into Brexit or Trump supporters into trying to reopen coal mines.

The protection is well branded products that are innovative enough to find and maintain market share.

Disconnecting from the U.K. supply chains also opens up a lot of space for Irish companies to replace them.

Look at where Yogurts went over the last few years. We had dominance of mostly international brands (many produced in the U.K. or for U.K. supply chains primarily) Yoplait, Danone, Muller, etc but that market is increasingly dominated by Glenisk in particular and that came on from nowhere with an excellent product and is selling successfully overseas based on products developed for the domestic market.

It’s not all just about replacing U.K. products with more imports. It’s also a breathing space for domestic brands.

It’s not a tiny market either. The total Irish retail market (all of it not just food) is worth about €40 billion a year.

Interestingly, even with Covid, Irish food exports were only down 2% last year, with dairy, pork and lamb actually growing, and the only real disappointments being alcohol and beef - best of all, we seem to have found new cheese markets in Africa and Asia, alongside Europe, when that sector had been most dependent on the UK:

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/success-of-diversification-evident-in-bord-bia-2020-export-performance-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

Loading beet onto trains and hauling it 100 miles up the country was insanity and shockingly inefficient. No other country had specifically designated beet trains drawing beet all over the place. Basically an entire rail industry drawing massive tonnage of beet that was 70% water. There was massive inefficiency through out the entire Irish beet industry which was rooted in politics of the era of the 1930’s and not on any sound economic sense.
    As was mentioned above it is an industry that could prosper in this country if done right.

In Wexford possibly.

I doubt it however. Scale would be insufficient. Two farmer groups collected money and investigated the options for many years before eventually concluding it was a non runner.
    For some years the international price of sugar was good, maybe €100 per tonne but then fell to half or one third.
    I believe one of the largest English factories in the south east uses imported sugar cane (probably from South America) as a feedstock.

• Advertisement

Doesn’t look like M&S is solving its inability to supply its stores in France:

3 weeks on: https://twitter.com/john_lichfield/status/1351120631333580807?s=21

I’m in relatively close distance of one of their major Irish stores but I haven’t set foot in any of them since the COVID spike so I can’t really tell what the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Good loser wrote: »
    In Wexford possibly.

I. Two farmer groups collected money and investigated the options for many years before eventually concluding it was a non runner.

They had zero government support and were asking farmers to make a massive leap in the dark with their own capital.

I noticed over the last few years on the road you would see the odd lorry marked British sugar in big tankers. I presume we won’t be seeing them anymore? Surely it would be uneconomic for British sugar manufacturers to export to Ireland.
    I heard a guy on the radio from the ritchies sweet factory in Dublin expressing concern over the difficulties of importing sugar from Britain post brexit. Surely other companies are having the same difficulties. Beet is the type of Agriculture that suits a green agenda. Increasing sugar cane imports from South America is exactly the type of practice that flys in the face of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭rock22

View wrote: »
    The solution to the latter issue was and is for importers here to replace products from the U.K. with products from the rest of the EU, with the latter arriving into Ireland via direct shipping from the rest of the EU (ie not via the U.K. landbridge).

It is unreasonable to expect consumers and businesses here to pick up the tab for headaches (and costs) arising for importers who ignored what was coming down the tracks.

And, yes, the government should have had, and should continue to have, those importers into government offices to make it clear they would be/will be hit by massive fines if they attempt to pass on any such increased costs due to Brexit because they insist on importing from the U.K.

After a long frustrating delay, i have just confirmed with an motor main dealer that all parts etc for ireand will continue to be distributed from the UK. Clearly this will have massive costs which , of course, will be passed on to the consumer.

Is there any way that the Irish government, or the EU, can insist that EU supplies should bypass UK distribution centres. I heard Leo Varadkar saying something along those lines already but apparently the car manufacturers prefer to let Irish customers foot the bill to keep everything as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

They had zero government support and were asking farmers to make a massive leap in the dark with their own capital.

I noticed over the last few years on the road you would see the odd lorry marked British sugar in big tankers. I presume we won’t be seeing them anymore? Surely it would be uneconomic for British sugar manufacturers to export to Ireland.
    I heard a guy on the radio from the ritchies sweet factory in Dublin expressing concern over the difficulties of importing sugar from Britain post brexit. Surely other companies are having the same difficulties. Beet is the type of Agriculture that suits a green agenda. Increasing sugar cane imports from South America is exactly the type of practice that flys in the face of this.

Ireland could have continued growing sugar beet, if it wanted. There were originally four sugarbeet factories dispersed around the country and eventually all closed except for one. They even dismantled Thurles I think and reassembled it down in Cork which eventually it closed. Greencore who owned it, decided to close it because they couldn't compete with Brazil and Eastern Europe producers.

Just on Irish farming exports - from what I understand, Ireland supplies 14% of the world's baby formula which is regarded as a premium product. Ireland and the Netherlands have secured the premium baby food market in China. I think the Netherlands is No. 1 and Ireland is No. 2.

Ireland's climate is most suited to growing grass. We don't really have enough sunshine days to grow wheat and barley. Thats why dairying & beef production are so popular here - it suits our climate.

Here is an account of the politics of what happened:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/greencore-plc-must-shoulder-blame-for-loss-of-our-vital-and-strategic-sugar-beet-industry-26701921.html

It's only relatively recently though that Ireland's had actual Irish brands in China.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/kerry-launch-first-irish-brand-of-infant-formula-in-china-168458

That only pushed out around 2014-15.

That's exactly where we need to be going and it's hugely important post Brexit.

Over the same period, Kerrygold has made huge inroads into the US market and grown on the continent for a whole load of products, not just butter.

Irish beef tends to be sold in Belgium for example as a premium product: https://www.delhaize.be/fr-be/shop/Viande-poisson-et-produits-vegetariens/Viande-fraiche/Boeuf/Entrecote-Irlande-Boeuf/p/F2015061700542110000

https://www.delhaize.be/fr-be/shop/Viande-poisson-et-produits-vegetariens/Viande-fraiche/Boeuf/Rib-Eye-Black-Angus/p/F2016071300534700000

There are a few odd ones that are a bit confusing:

https://www.delhaize.be/fr-be/shop/Viande-poisson-et-produits-vegetariens/Viande-fraiche/Agneau/Cotelettes-Agneau-Celtic/p/F2011012600575800000

Zoom in on the product. Note the tricolour and the union flag are combined into a single brand.

"Celtic" which is co-branded as British/Irish with the two flags. That's very confusing in my opinion.

"Noisette d'agneau. 100% Agneau Celtic. Origine: Irlande & Grande-Bretagne."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The Celtic branding may have something to do with EU origin labelling requirements. For example, lamb born south of the born and sold to a farmer in NI for fattening up (and visa versa). It will be interesting to see how if they continue to use the Union Jack flag for that. Probably best to change it to the NI/or Ulster flag.

Welsh lamb is the premium brand in France. Jumping on the celtic brand might be a way of jumping on that bandwagon, though I think the ROI imports lamb from Northern Ireland, not export it. NI are big lamb producers, exporting about 80% of what they produce.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-sheep-farmers-brexit-4319473-Jan2019/

With regard to exporting to China - it takes years to get into that market. It has taken 2 years between factory approval to actually sending the first steak to China. Baby formula is by far the most lucrative dairy product - selling in China at 4 times what it costs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

rock22 wrote: »
    After a long frustrating delay, i have just confirmed with an motor main dealer that all parts etc for ireand will continue to be distributed from the UK. Clearly this will have massive costs which , of course, will be passed on to the consumer.

Is there any way that the Irish government, or the EU, can insist that EU supplies should bypass UK distribution centres. I heard Leo Varadkar saying something along those lines already but apparently the car manufacturers prefer to let Irish customers foot the bill to keep everything as it were.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing stopping the government slapping an additional set of corporation taxes on suppliers that insist on importing from outside the EU (ie the U.K.) when there are alternative (and cheaper) suppliers inside the EU available to them that they refuse to use.

I’d imagine they’d be be happy to change where they import from when it becomes clear that continued obstinacy means they “volunteer” to pay higher taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

The only realistic thing to to do is list the companies that don't do it...that way consumers have a chance to make an informed decision.

Hopefully over time they'll come to thier senses when they realise they are being priced out of the market. New comers to the market won't have these "legacy" issues.

Anyway, don't the competition laws prevent you from being redirected to a more costly fulfilment site?

Personally, I would think that only changing the other side of the road is the only way to fix this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing stopping the government slapping an additional set of corporation taxes on suppliers that insist on importing from outside the EU (ie the U.K.) when there are alternative (and cheaper) suppliers inside the EU available to them that they refuse to use.

I’d imagine they’d be be happy to change where they import from when it becomes clear that continued obstinacy means they “volunteer” to pay higher taxes.
    You've literally described tariffs there; that's not something the Irish government can decide on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭rock22

sandbelter wrote: »
    The only realistic thing to to do is list the companies that don't do it......

Hopefully over time they'll come to thier senses when they realise they are being priced out of the market. New comers to the market won't have these "legacy" issues.

Anyway, don't the competition laws prevent you from being redirected to a more costly fulfilment site?

Personally, I would think that only changing the other side of the road is the only way to fix this.

The garage mentioned four different car brands, two German and two Japanese, and they all are continuing to treat Ireland as a 'third' country to the UK, which is, of course, a 'third' country to EU.
    I would love to hear from someone working for Irish distributors who could confirm if there are any plans to change this.
    But it was implied that this seems to be an industry decision, (we are probably too small to be considered a separate market to the UK,) . I wonder what other industries are making similar decisions, with the customer left to pick up the cost. If all the suppliers in a sector do the same thing the customer really has no choice

This is certainly something i would have expected our government to be monitoring and protecting Irish consumers. Perhaps i am naïve

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    You've literally described tariffs there; that's not something the Irish government can decide on it's own.

No I am not describing tariffs. I am describing an additional corporation tax levied on the profits of a company. That additional corporation tax would only apply if a company voluntarily chooses to have it applied to them (by refusing to source in a manner that would benefit the consumer here).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No I am not describing tariffs. I am describing an additional corporation tax levied on the profits of a company. That additional corporation tax would only apply if a company voluntarily chooses to have it applied to them (by refusing to source in a manner that would benefit the consumer here).
    You may characterise it as a corporation profits surtax, and it would be calculated in a way that is different from the way tariffs are normally calculated, but it's in substance a tax on importing - as in, if the company didn't import these goods, it wouldn't be liable to this tax. I think the ECJ might have Views about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm certainly no EU state aid expert, as it's a nuanced and very specific area of law, but I'm wondering would that not fall on the wrong side of state aid rules?

The garage mentioned four different car brands, two German and two Japanese, and they all are continuing to treat Ireland as a 'third' country to the UK, which is, of course, a 'third' country to EU.
    I would love to hear from someone working for Irish distributors who could confirm if there are any plans to change this.
    But it was implied that this seems to be an industry decision, (we are probably too small to be considered a separate market to the UK,) . I wonder what other industries are making similar decisions, with the customer left to pick up the cost. If all the suppliers in a sector do the same thing the customer really has no choice
    It does create an opportunity, though, for the first motor company willing to set up an Irish distribution chain that bypasses the UK - they'd have a strong selling point over their rivals.

This is certainly something i would have expected our government to be monitoring and protecting Irish consumers. Perhaps i am naïve

Ireland most definitely isn’t too small to be considered a separate market from the U.K. This is a choice that is being made by people in the supply chain (probably by ones in the U.K. who don’t want to forego any of their business).

Even if we were to accept the argument that Ireland is too small to be considered a separate market, then there is absolutely no reason why Ireland shouldn’t be considered as a smaller part of either the French or the Benelux markets and supplied by the suppliers in those markets.

The insistence on sourcing through the U.K. and hence on exposing consumers here to additional costs is cartel like behaviour and is almost certainly illegal.

Ireland most definitely isn’t too small to be considered a separate market from the U.K. This is a choice that is being made by people in the supply chain (probably by ones in the U.K. who don’t want to forego any of their business).

Even if we were to accept the argument that Ireland is too small to be considered a separate market, then there is absolutely no reason why Ireland shouldn’t be considered as a smaller part of either the French or the Benelux markets and supplied by the suppliers in those markets.

The insistence on sourcing through the U.K. and hence on exposing consumers here to additional costs is cartel like behaviour and is almost certainly illegal.
    Theres a particular problem with cars in that the parts requirements for LHD and RHD cars differ. So you can't just supply Ireland directly out of your existing (say) Belgian centre; you have to upgrade the Belgian centre so that it can meet the demand for parts appropriate to the Irish market. And the Irish market is relatively small, and may be very small if you're a minor presence in the Irish market. Upgrading an existing EU centre to serve the Irish market might be one thing if you are Volkswagen or Toyota; quite another if you Volvo or Suzuki.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes you are; you are targeting specifically non EU companies for imports into the Irish market; that's by definition a tariff or barrier of entry that you are implementing and that's against WTO rules as well as EU rules. Either they remain competitive or they don't; either way it's not for the Irish state to decide how they import the cars. And if Irish consumers wish to pay a premium because that's their choice of stupidity; same way we said UK customers would still buy BMWs with a 10% increase in cost due to Brexit at a no deal.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You may characterise it as a corporation profits surtax, and it would be calculated in a way that is different from the way tariffs are normally calculated, but it's in substance a tax on importing - as in, if the company didn't import these goods, it wouldn't be liable to this tax. I think the ECJ might have Views about this.

Suppliers that insist that Irish companies and consumers can only be served by U.K. based companies are the ones subjecting Irish companies and consumers to what is “in substance a tax on imports”.

That “in substance a tax on imports” could be avoided completely were those suppliers to supply Irish companies and consumers directly from other EU countries.

It would be a voluntary choice for those suppliers as to whether or not they want their profits to be subject to an additional tax or not.

And don’t presume that the CJEU is going to ride to the rescue of those suppliers. Our VRT, which is levied not as a flat charge but rather on the differing market value of each and every car model, is not classified as a tax on importing even though that most definitely is what it is (and indeed it was first introduced by just renaming an actual import levy that we had previously).

I'm certainly no EU state aid expert, as it's a nuanced and very specific area of law, but I'm wondering would that not fall on the wrong side of state aid rules?

You aren’t aiding an industry by levying taxes on them - taxes they can fully avoid by rejigging their supply chains by supplying Ireland via France rather than via the U.K..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Peregrinus wrote:
    Theres a particular problem with cars in that the parts requirements for LHD and RHD cars differ. So you can't just supply Ireland directly out of your existing (say) Belgian centre; you have to upgrade the Belgian centre so that it can meet the demand for parts appropriate to the Irish market. And the Irish market is relatively small, and may be very small if you're a minor presence in the Irish market. Upgrading an existing EU centre to serve the Irish market might be one thing if you are Volkswagen or Toyota; quite another if you Volvo or Suzuki.
    At least one Japanese OEM has switched coverage of Ireland from its UK base in Swindon to Rotterdam.

Advertisement